Trade

Picture 13.png

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Picture 14.png

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
It is a .91. I get flashes of various colors of the rainbow, while the body color stays pretty much the same. Comparing apples to oranges here. Mine is grayish yellowish green, and an I2. Comparing this fire to that of a natural fancy intense green VS2 that is well cut wouldn't be fair LOL! My pink and orange rb's are very clean and very well cut, so I'm going to go with those to answer what I see. I see the base color of orange and pink respectively, with the same rainbow flashes I would see in another diamond. The green is the same. Base greenish color, flashes of rainbow colors. It is funny to me how much it actually DOES sparkle given it's MANY inclusions. It has "moss" like inclusions pretty much throughout the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dkodner said:
TL- I hope there is a green diamond in your future. If there is fairness in the world, anyone as passionate as you about gemstones certainly deserves one... :))

Thanks David, I have an 40 point olive green, a 1.5 ct greyish green that I wear every day, and a 40 point yellow with green fluor that looks awesome in the sun. However, the natural fancy green, colored by the earth's radiation, the stone I desire more than any other, still eludes me. . . so does that fancy violet. :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soberguy said:
It is a .91. I get flashes of various colors of the rainbow, while the body color stays pretty much the same. Comparing apples to oranges here. Mine is grayish yellowish green, and an I2. Comparing this fire to that of a natural fancy intense green VS2 that is well cut wouldn't be fair LOL! My pink and orange rb's are very clean and very well cut, so I'm going to go with those to answer what I see. I see the base color of orange and pink respectively, with the same rainbow flashes I would see in another diamond. The green is the same. Base greenish color, flashes of rainbow colors. It is funny to me how much it actually DOES sparkle given it's MANY inclusions. It has "moss" like inclusions pretty much throughout the stone.

I find that the darker toned diamonds, like the greyish greens, do tend to have a great deal of fire. Nice diamond you have there SG. :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Kodner, thank you so much for posting the Hofer report.
I'm still reading it.

Fascinating, and I'd love to get that level of detail too.

I'm a data guy.
The more the better.
I am the opposite of those "All that matters is you love it!" people.
I need more than love. :love: + :geek:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
. . . I have an 40 point olive green, a 1.5 ct greyish green that I wear every day, and a 40 point yellow with green fluor that looks awesome in the sun. However, the natural fancy green, colored by the earth's radiation, the stone I desire more than any other, still eludes me. . . so does that fancy violet. :naughty:

TL, I'd love to see pics of these?

Is there a "Show us your colored diamond" thread here on CS or on SMTB?
We seem to have a thread for "Show me everything else".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David K. are all of Mr. Hofer's reports so glowing?

I mean if a client wants a report on a colored diamond that is, lets just say, on the low end of desireability does he dance around that or just tell it like it is?

After all owners can be sensitive about their babies, and they are paying him.

Leibish & Co.

Rough_Rock
Trade
tourmaline_lover said:
Itzik,
It's not that I don't trust you as a vendor, I just don't know how these already cut green diamonds are determined natuaral in color by the GIA. It's the GIA I worry about in this regard with a diamond that has very suspect color. Most of the natural greens I've seen have some grey cast, but this is so minty green and highly saturated, like the irradiated ones I have seen. In this, one must place full trust in the GIA. The fact that in your listing it states

"The old mine cut is an open culet, which indicates that the stone was probably cut many years ago"

indicates to me that the GIA did not have the stone prior to cutting since the date on it is from 2009, so I am very very curious how they determined natural origin if the stone was cut many years ago. Some people create fake "naturals" on green diamonds also in order to deceive. You see, since it is a very large sum of money on a very small gem, and one that is very very difficult to detect as natural in color, I question it. No lab is perfect, and I would want proof other than an opinion on the lab report. I know some people think I'm overly paranoid, but I if the stone were a blue, yellow, pink, brown, olive, etc. . . I would totally trust the GIA report. I don't think people realize the perplexity of green diamonds.
TL hi,
I understand your fear and concern, especially when it comes to high priced items, you ask how can I be 100% sure GIA are correct, well,so far they didn't give me a reason not to trust them.
The only issues I had with GIA were they were too strict with stones, graded them too low, it I don't think it happens the other way around.
We deal with diamonds, and in this trade GIA is the most respectable and appreciated institute,
The diamond business needs some supreme authorization that will be professional, and will be approved by all. GIA is the one, Their standard are accepted by all.
If they are not reliable than where else can I go? If I don't trust them Than maybe there's no point in certifying stones at all.
I know Green stones are much more problematic than others, and I know GIA are aware of that as well, and I know what a hard time they give to polishers of Green stones before they advise whether or not indeed natural, many test are being made, and if they are not sure, they don't say it's Natural, they don't take this kind of risks.
It's a much longer procedure than just a regular fancy colored diamond examination.
What I mentioned earlier in my post regarding the procedure of cutting a Green stone is according to my experience of Green stones in general, I can't say what was the procedure this stone was handled against GIA since we bought it already polished.
It is possible it was sent as rough to GIA but maybe the Natural that was left on the stone was enough for GIA to determine its origin, I can't say, but GIA made the tests they need and established it accordingly.
You mentioned it's possible people add Natural to a stone, and fake stones, the most important think I can say about this issue is buy only from people you trust and have good reputation, and you had good experience in the past. reputation is something that can't be bough but needs to be earned, and no respectable company will risk her credibility in this kind of fakes.
It is most likely to be small operators who are trying to make easy money and disappear, make your home work on the vendor before buying from one.

I have to admit I wasn't aware this things are even possible (adding Natural after polish, people are thinking of very creative ways to scam people) but it's better to be safe than sorry. An extra GIA report is a good option and I saw some people mentioned a Stephan Hoffer report, that's an excellent solution as well if you fill GIA is not enough and can't determine for sure.

As for the pictures that were published here, they do appear a bit over saturated, on my screen it appears a bit less saturated than that(less minty), I don't know if it's because of the way it appears on Kennys Mac(extra saturated as a default ?) or just different screens present different images, but I made a print screen of my screen next to the what he published the other day and you can really see how you have small differences on every screen.

Itzik

0.26ct FIG.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
tourmaline_lover said:
. . . I have an 40 point olive green, a 1.5 ct greyish green that I wear every day, and a 40 point yellow with green fluor that looks awesome in the sun. However, the natural fancy green, colored by the earth's radiation, the stone I desire more than any other, still eludes me. . . so does that fancy violet. :naughty:

TL, I'd love to see pics of these?

Is there a "Show us your colored diamond" thread here on CS or on SMTB?
We seem to have a thread for "Show me everything else".

I have tons of photos all over the place since I'm quite obnoxious with my photo opportunities. I also have some champagnes and a pink champagne and various other small colored diamonds. There's a photo of some of them on the last page or so of the eye candy thread on this forum, and my 1.5 carat green grey does not photograph well, but it is a round cut, with arrows, and sparkles like mad. The color can go from a very moss green to a more grey, and it has orange fluor, which makes it look surreal in the sun. It's an SI stone, and I love it to pieces. Here's a photo of a couple of it's personalities in the sun and in other lighting. It faces up more green IRL and is in rose gold, which I think makes green diamonds pop more. However this stone is nothing compared to a natural colored fancy green. Olive or grey greens get their color by a mixture of yellow and grey and other hues. They really are not the same thing, but I have seen unscrupulous sellers try to sell grey greens for fancy green prices. :nono:

In direct sun, the fluor gives it a metallic like luster, which I find so cool. This gems has so many personalities, I named it "Sybil." My camera really has a hard time capturing dispersion, but the gem is very dispersive, more so than my photo on the right gives it credit for. As you can tell, it's not the best color in the world in terms of a colored gem, but because it's a diamond, it really needs appreciation in person. Diamonds are really the only gem I will accept with significant grey or brown in them because their beauty goes beyond simple color. A static photo just cannot capture what I can see IRL.

TLgreengreydiamondcool4.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Itzik,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. For the most part, I trust the GIA, it's just that the GIA and other labs must always stay on top of the latest treatments, kind of like a doctor must stay on top of the latest technology and advances, in order to be sufficient. No lab is perfect, but I think we can trust many of them.

I find AGL to be the premier lab for colored gemstones like rubies, emeralds and sapphies, but yes, GIA is the premier lab for diamonds and colored diamonds. I wish they would provide more input on their reports, but we don't have anything better than the GIA for the moment for diamonds, and it would be nice if they could step up their game. They don't have the competition in the diamond world, like AGL has in the colored gemstone world, so they probably feel that insufficient information on their report would suffice.

For green diamonds especially,I feel it is really important to have the conclusive written evidence to prove the stone is natural and more comments on the quality of color, other than just vivid, intense, etc. . . because there are many sublevels within those levels. JMO, and I'm sure others may disagree. I wish they did have a Prestige report for colored diamonds, or diamonds in general. Like Kenny, I love knowledge, and the more, the better.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I really love both of the stones you are looking at and do not think you could go wrong with either of them. I do however think that they are stones that should be viewed in person if at all possible. Colored diamonds are in a league of there own as far as sparkle/scintillation are concerned. They have a different 'life' to them, compared to white diamonds and colored gemstones. I can't wait to see what your final decision is and for the pictures to follow :) Good luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
I have tons of photos all over the place since I'm quite obnoxious with my photo opportunities.
I assure you I am more obnoxious than you when it comes to uncontrolled pic posting. :praise:

That's a very cool diamond and wonderful setting and I hope you can get a pic in the sun capturing the orange fluor.

You know TL, I have a confession.
I must be sexist.

Because of the rings you just posted I now assume you are a woman. (But even that may be wrong)
I thought you were a man, based on how forcefully and tenaciously you post. (much like me)
My apologies for my sexism. :nono:
Live and learn.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
tourmaline_lover said:
I have tons of photos all over the place since I'm quite obnoxious with my photo opportunities.
I assure you I am more obnoxious than you when it comes to uncontrolled pic posting. :praise:

That's a very cool diamond and wonderful setting and I hope you can get a pic in the sun capturing the orange fluor.

You know TL, I have a confession.
I must be sexist.

Because of the rings you just posted I now assume you are a woman. (But even that may be wrong)
I thought you were a man, based on how forcefully and tenaciously you post. (much like me)
My apologies for my sexism. :nono:
Live and learn.

I'm female. No apologies needed because science has proven that overall, men and women do think differently, which I'm sure is apparent in their writing. It's not that one way of thnking is better than another, it is just different. ;))

Thanks for the kind words on my diamond, and unfortunately my camera is pitiful at capturing fluorescence.

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
David K. are all of Mr. Hofer's reports so glowing?

I mean if a client wants a report on a colored diamond that is, lets just say, on the low end of desireability does he dance around that or just tell it like it is?

After all owners can be sensitive about their babies, and they are paying him.

I don't know the answer to that question. the report I posted was on an exceptionally rare stone, so it should be glowing... :))
My guess is he does not see a lot of the lower end goods to do a report on, so it may seem like they are all similar. I'm more interested in the data in them and the comparisons than his writing, but you can certainly see and feel the passion about colored diamonds in his writing, which makes them a pleasure to read. I'm sure if it is a lower saturation etc, you would see that described in the technical data, but it would still be a colored diamond, and he would find the beauty in that fact alone. If you told him to give you the cold hard facts only, I'm sure that works as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for being so helpful.

Well, if everything works out in a week or two I'll be posting some prudy pics.
We are working out some details.
As usual I'm a neurotic, picky customer but Leibish & Co. (aka fancydiamonds.net) is being wonderful and responsive.

I can't wait. :appl:
I prefer photographing loose diamonds to set ones.
There is so much more freedom to get the light in and out.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
kenny said:

As usual I'm a neurotic, picky customer but Leibish & Co. (aka fancydiamonds.net) is being wonderful and responsive.

I prefer photographing loose diamonds to set one.

They've been great with me too, and my order was much much much much much less expensive. That says a lot for a company.

Congrats Kenny! can't wait to see your amazing photos! maybe I could send mine to you to shoot ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor said:
They've been great with me too, and my order was much much much much much less expensive. That says a lot for a company.

Congrats Kenny! can't wait to see your amazing photos! maybe I could send mine to you to shoot ;-)

Funny you say that.
I've actually considered starting a little side business photographing gems.
I love it so much and people tell me I'm good at it.
I'm lucky that I get paid doing what I love to do, and I'm always on the look out for another opportunity to generate more love and passion in my life. :cheeky:

The security/trust issues are probably insurmountable though. :(sad

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:

I prefer photographing loose diamonds to set ones.
There is so much more freedom to get the light in and out.
Awesome! Getting excited for you! Looking forward to updates and pictures of something... :appl: :appl: :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you got the green Kenny! Can't wait to see your pictures either! Will you do anything with it or will it be to fondle?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party, but I love the green, and I'm glad you got it! If only I had that kind of budget... :saint:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for green! The color is amazing based on the pics, and I can only imagine its personality in real life.

How would you set this stone?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
platinumrock said:
Another vote for green! The color is amazing based on the pics, and I can only imagine its personality in real life.
Thanks all.
Maybe just a simple clean tension setting, without the gold strip.
I'm not even sure I'll set it.

I think of it as a small part of a diversified portfolio.
Some investments can fall to zero value if the world goes wacko. :wacko:
I doubt this will.
I just haven't see others like it.

(yeah yeah, I know diamonds lose half their value the moment you drive them off the lot.)

grering.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
platinumrock said:
Thanks all.
Maybe just a simple clean tension setting, without the gold strip.
I'm not even sure I'll set it.

I think of it as a small part of a diversified portfolio.
Some investments can fall to zero value if the world goes wacko. :wacko:
I doubt this will.
I just have not seen many others like this.

(yeah yeah, I know it looses half its value the moment you drive it off the lot.)

I really like that setting! It reminds me of Mara's husbands band. I can see the inlay in 18K RG. WIth a green center stone like that, you will turn heads with that ring.

I buy colored diamonds because I seriously find pleasure in looking at them, playing with them and marveling at the journey they underwent just to reach our hands. I am simply amazed at this stone that is hundreds of millions of years old, even billions, can be as old as Earth itself. And the fact that it will remain long after I'm gone. Sorry, just a Science teacher talking.

Plus they are so purdy and sparkly. :love:

Think of it this way. A diamond is a lot more durable than a car or a house. You just can't drive it or sleep in it.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I know I'm majorly late to this, and by the photo for your avatar, you've already picked your stone...but goodness, that green diamond is GORGEOUS!!!

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so excited for you Kenny! I hope it's everything you have been looking for. It looks amazing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it IS a Killer Diamond.

I've been looking for years.
KennyGreen popped up on fancydiamonds.net Sunday and I grabbed it Monday.
I wanted to talk to a human first.
All evening Sunday I was sweating and checking it hourly, praying nobody would buy it.

Did you ever come across a stone you HAD to have, no matter what?

I've noticed before on fancydiamonds.net that really special ones go fast.
I've been checking their lists of new stones and of sold stones several times a day and have seen several on the sold list that I never saw on the new list.
This means collectors are alert.

I knew KennyGreen wouldn't last.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
If you do decide to set it, and I probably do not need to tell you this, but please, please PLEASE make sure you have the absolute finest jeweler. Even diamonds can chip when set. I have a gypsy set diamond in a platinum scatter band, and it has a small chip from setting. It's a small white diamond so who cares, but if it were yours!! :-o Normally I wouldn't warn people about setting a diamond, but this is a rare exception. Tension settings also make me nervous with this stone. :errrr:

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny: Glad to hear you got the green. When do you expect to receive it? The minty green color is really pretty and saturated for a small diamond. I saw the famous Dresden green at the New Green Vault in Dresden several months ago. It is beautiful and huge for a green diamond, but I was a bit disappointed in the color. It is kind of a pale blue with a hint of green, not minty green like your stone. Hope it looks even better than the pictures in real life.

AN

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
Kenny,
If you do decide to set it, and I probably do not need to tell you this, but please, please PLEASE make sure you have the absolute finest jeweler. Even diamonds can chip when set. I have a gypsy set diamond in a platinum scatter band, and it has a small chip from setting. It's a small white diamond so who cares, but if it were yours!! :-o Normally I wouldn't warn people about setting a diamond, but this is a rare exception. Tension settings also make me nervous with this stone. :errrr:

Thanks for the cautions.
My 2.26 ct. asscher's been in a tension setting for years with no problem and the price of the stones was similar.
This green does not have a thin girdle and it's VS2, so it is not one of the more delicate diamonds, just terribly expensive for it's weight.

What is the least-risky setting process?
Prongs?
Gypsy?
Full bezel?
Half Bezel?

I'll get it in a few weeks, which gives me time to rob some banks and mug some little old ladies. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results