shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray Spinel and Diamond Ring + Capsule Jewelry Wardrobe

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is inspired by the lovely mrs-b, mostly because I bought her DKJ gray spinel, diamond, and platinum ring! I was not planning to buy a new ring now, but could not resist when I saw the listing on the pre-loved forum. I wear this now with my wedding ring, since I recently had my original engagement ring turned into a pendant by Maytal Hannah. This ring already has a SMTB thread, but I could not resist sharing my excitement here.

20181001-DSCF9534.jpg

20181001-DSCF9690.jpg

20181001-DSCF9643.jpg

With my wedding ring:

20181001-DSCF9668.jpg

20181001-DSCF9728.jpg

20181001-DSCF9666.jpg

With my anniversary pendant:

20181001-DSCF9551.jpg

Video in low indoor lighting:

This post is also inspired by mrs-b because her lovely collection has me thinking about creating a jewelry capsule wardrobe, which I already do with my clothes. Currently, I have a small (or I'll say, tightly edited) collection, and I wear almost everything daily. I never take off my wedding ring, anniversary rings, or diamond pendant (except to clean them, of course!). Sometimes I change out my diamond studs for pearl or silver Tiffany earrings, but rarely.

My daily jewelry wardrobe:

20181001-DSCF9609.jpg

My full, small wardrobe - Tiffany pearls, diamond pendant by Maytal Hannah, 1.4 ct O AVC ring by Maytal Hannah, Tiffany olive leaf band, eternity wedding ring, gray spinel ring, .49 ct D BGD bezel studs, David Yurman watch. I also have a silver Hermes Farandole necklace not shown:

20181001-DSCF9755.jpg

Real life perspective:

20181001-DSCF9651.jpg

I plan to continue being very intentional with my jewelry purchases - mostly because I cannot allocate a lot of money to it right now. ;-)On my list are a rose gold bracelet, hoop earrings, platinum diamond bangle, rose gold pendant to stack with my diamond pendant, diamond drop earrings, and a white gold band that I can stack between my spinel ring and wedding band. In no particular order. :razz:

I'd love to hear if others think of their jewelry in this way and/or see pictures!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DorotheaBrooke -

Firstly, just let me get this out of the way, and my apologies for this, but....

Isn't it the most gorgeous ring?! I LOVE that ring and am SO glad it went to you! I'm not that great at selling things, because I don't know how to lay on the hyperbole when it comes to my own stuff, but I like to think my sold pieces are always a nice surprise, in that they're prettier and better quality than people expect.

Next - it looks wonderful on your hand! I always thought that ring made a perfect engagement ring, and it sits beautifully with whatever band you put it with. And it looks fabulous with your wedder! Substantial, classic, understated! (I can say all these things that I've always thought, now that it isn't mine anymore!)

As for a curated collection, well, you know where my head is where that's concerned. I have a very casual set, a slightly more dressy set, and a very dressy set in all three metals, plus another one in pearls / diamonds / platinum. All pieces as well made as I can manage. To that, I've added a few fun, random pieces here and there - a charm bracelet, a rose gold bracelet that used up all my old OEC bits and pieces - and a few colored gem rings because...well, just because. I've upgraded and upgraded numerous times, and have now hit the standard I've always wanted and am VERY happy. I'm currently working on 3 rings, which will see out my colored gem collection, and am hoping to do a few other bits and pieces. I strongly agree with having an end point, otherwise it's just endless shopping. I love being able to lay my hand on exactly what goes with any particular outfit at any given time, but more than that seems both pointless and stressful.

I love the sound of your list - especially the pieces that will allow your MH cushion ring to have a few equally warm friends. Your current pieces are top notch, and the pieces you plan to add will give you a perfect collection for a tasteful, understated, classically minded woman. Enjoy! :wavey:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I too love this post and your whole set of pieces. There isn’t a minimalist bone in my body but the Capsule concept is one I use for work so I get it! And your collection is just divine. The platinum and rose gold together are such a strong romantic style. Just perfection.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so happy you got the spinel ring. For one thing, it stayed in the PS family so I can keep ogling it. For another, it looks absolutely stunning on you. No exaggeration there. You are killing it with this one. I adore how it stacks oh so perfectly with your wedding ring. :love::love::love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Stunning ring--congrats on your purchase. BTW your hands are beautiful!

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty ring! I was a little shocked when I saw in on the pre-loved forum. I'm glad you went for it!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Grey Spinel & Diamond Ring looks beautiful on you - and your capsule collection is well chosen and gorgeous - wear in health and happiness!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautifully curated collection! I am a less is more person, so I think a capsule jewelry wardrobe is a wonderful idea! It seems like a lot of thought went into each and every piece, and I love that! I see your collection as very elegant and unique. Your new ring is gorgeous!

EllenS1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread is inspired by the lovely mrs-b, mostly because I bought her DKJ gray spinel, diamond, and platinum ring! I was not planning to buy a new ring now, but could not resist when I saw the listing on the pre-loved forum. I wear this now with my wedding ring, since I recently had my original engagement ring turned into a pendant by Maytal Hannah. This ring already has a SMTB thread, but I could not resist sharing my excitement here.

20181001-DSCF9534.jpg

20181001-DSCF9690.jpg

20181001-DSCF9643.jpg

With my wedding ring:

20181001-DSCF9668.jpg

20181001-DSCF9728.jpg

20181001-DSCF9666.jpg

With my anniversary pendant:

20181001-DSCF9551.jpg

Video in low indoor lighting:

This post is also inspired by mrs-b because her lovely collection has me thinking about creating a jewelry capsule wardrobe, which I already do with my clothes. Currently, I have a small (or I'll say, tightly edited) collection, and I wear almost everything daily. I never take off my wedding ring, anniversary rings, or diamond pendant (except to clean them, of course!). Sometimes I change out my diamond studs for pearl or silver Tiffany earrings, but rarely.

My daily jewelry wardrobe:

20181001-DSCF9609.jpg

My full, small wardrobe - Tiffany pearls, diamond pendant by Maytal Hannah, 1.4 ct O AVC ring by Maytal Hannah, Tiffany olive leaf band, eternity wedding ring, gray spinel ring, .49 ct D BGD bezel studs, David Yurman watch. I also have a silver Hermes Farandole necklace not shown:

20181001-DSCF9755.jpg

Real life perspective:

20181001-DSCF9651.jpg

I plan to continue being very intentional with my jewelry purchases - mostly because I cannot allocate a lot of money to it right now. ;-)On my list are a rose gold bracelet, hoop earrings, platinum diamond bangle, rose gold pendant to stack with my diamond pendant, diamond drop earrings, and a white gold band that I can stack between my spinel ring and wedding band. In no particular order. :razz:

I'd love to hear if others think of their jewelry in this way and/or see pictures!
This is lovely !

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I should add, I just love how you have your capsule collection displayed. Is that a jewelry box? If so, do you have any details on it? I currently have my jewelry kept in a haphazard way - my rings in a tiny dish and my necklaces laying across a silver hostess tray that I bought in Savannah. I think I would like a jewelry box of some kind, but do not know what kind to get. I love yours.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man, what a gorgeous spinel! It's so unique and elegant!!! And I love the steeliness-with-a-touch-of-lavender shade of the stone, if I'm reading the color right.

You know you'll have a winner no matter what if you're lucky enough to acquire a @mrs-b piece!!! And I love it with your wedding band!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this makes a gorgeous engagement ring. I love it paired with the wedding band. Soooo Pretty!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how I love this ring! Owning one of @mrs-b's own pieces would be a dream come true. And I'm with you, I love having a smaller collection that all works well together, with pieces that are thought out and compliment each other beautifully, which is just what you have. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is stunning. Just beautiful. I love all the different tones in various lighting conditions, and it looks great with your wedding band. I hope you wear denim, because i imagine the colors looking fantastic with jeans.

The concept of a jewelry capsule is intriguing. Yours is beautifully edited and would work for all occasions! I have long admired all things @mrs-b , and hers is also a well done and versatile collection. I’ve had the bulk of my stuff at the bank for months while we’ve been doing construction, and I’ve been fine with the few pieces I have. This definitely has me thinking.

Enjoy your gorgeous spinel!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The concept of a jewelry capsule is intriguing. I’ve had the bulk of my stuff at the bank for months while we’ve been doing construction, and I’ve been fine with the few pieces I have. This definitely has me thinking.

@Tonks -

It's really telling, isn't it? I have often thought that if I had my hoops and pearls, my bangles, my e-ring and wedder, and my 7 stone platinum band - I'd be fine. I have many pieces whose main function is to tickle my eyes when I open my jewelry box, and you have to ask yourself if that's a reasonable use of money.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring on a beautiful hand equals perfection!

cnkav

Shiny_Rock
So gorgeous. You made me wanting a grey spinel

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely LOVE @mrs-b 's beautiful spinel ring, and it looks wonderful on your hand! I 100% agree with having a well thought out collection as you and mrs b are doing. You have some lovely pieces! My main requirements are high quality and classic, enduring designs that stand the test of time. Quality over quantity (although I honestly already have more than I actually wear frequently), and pieces that will be heirlooms to pass on to my daughters and granddaughters. I think your wish list is great, and you will have fun adding pieces over time!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DorotheaBrooke, I love that ring. I had to look up your thread to see more of it. I think I posted in the Christmas bling thread that I loved your three stone but now I can see that it has three small stones on each side. It is lovely and so glad you could get such a beautiful piece to add to your collection from our own @mrs-b. She has lovely taste and so do you. A small but well thought out collection is a wonderful thing.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DorotheaBrooke, your collection is absolutely beautiful; tasteful, elegant, and classic. Each piece looks amazing on you! The spinel ring is to die for, the color is so pretty and that setting is...just top-notch really. @mrs_b knocked it out of the park. I adore your Maytal Hannah pieces...I love her work and sometimes I fantasize about resetting my OEC with her...I'm rambling lol...thank you for sharing your lovely collection!

fizzychip

Rough_Rock
@DorotheaBrooke I love the idea of a capsule collection and love your whole edit!

And the grey spinel is so beautiful! I’ve just come out of lurking on PS to get inspiration for investing in my own classic pieces and all I’m finding is temptation! Enjoy your lovely ring =)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @DorotheaBrooke this is one gorgeous ring and it looks amazbling on you! :love: And I love your pendant and watch and sweater too.:appl:So very lovely!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can a capsule wardrobe exist when CS is concerned? :lol-2:

Nice collection BTW, however, I am prepared to put money on it that the OP will get more jewellery and CSs in future!

DK :mrgreen:

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Funny, as @dk168 predicted, I added a few pieces to my jewelry wardrobe over the past 6 months. :) First, my husband surprised me with these Van Cleef white gold and diamond mini Frivole earrings.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191226125746168.jpg

With my Maytal Hannah pendant.

IMG_20191226_133523.jpg

Then he gifted me this Tiffany 2mm platinum and diamond band for our 16 year anniversary. I was planning to buy a plain thin band to wear between my wedding ring and spinel ring, as the diamonds on my wedding band were starting to wear on the spinel ring's setting, so when I saw @ame's listing for the Tiffany band, it was even better.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200520104239599_COVER.jpg

Here are the rings all together in different lighting. I continue to be so in love with the @mrs-b spinel ring!

DSCF0186.jpg
DSCF0201.jpg

I also bought a pair of Tiffany drop pearls in silver.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200520111945476.jpg

My updated jewelry capsule wardrobe.

DSCF0145.jpg

Daily platinum-white gold jewelry.

DSCF0165.jpg

Here are the rose gold rings I wear on my right hand (Maytal Hannah/AVC and Tiffany Olive Leaf).

DSCF0223.jpg

At this point, there are only two more pieces that I'd like for my regular wardrobe, a rose gold bracelet and a rose gold necklace to layer occasionally. I've been wearing the VCA earrings almost daily, so I'm considering selling the BGD bezel earrings, although they are a great basic. I could put the funds toward a rose gold piece. ;-)

P.S. @OdetteOdile, I was remiss in forgetting to answer your question. The jewelry box is from Pottery Barn.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DorotheaBrooke -

Your collection continues to go from strength to strength. But where is your little solitaire that I love so much? Your new pieces are fabulous, and the coordination between them all is just perfection.

A great collection in the making.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your collection is just perfect. Well thought through & executed brilliantly.

Love the contrast of the rose gold on your right hand too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results