shape
carat
color
clarity

Gotta get a new dress...more pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input, everyone! I can''t tell you how much it has helped. I have eliminated some. It''s down to the CH, the two Reems, and the Ulla. I want to be unique, striking, yet classy, and I think those all fit the bill. I haven''t seen Katie Holmes wedding dress, so I have no idea if it looks like the CH...does anyone have a link? I''d hate to imitate Katie Holmes...not a big fan. I showed the pic of the Ulla to FI, and he thought it looked a little severe too, but it really lost that severe edge on me...I think because I have more curves to soften things than the model does. I''m going to do my darndess to see if I can try on the Ulla and the second Reem at a place that will allow pics.

The key things I am looking for: 1) unique unique unique, 2) an interesting neckline, 3) a low back, 4) a butt flattering skirt (something that shows the booty off -- that''s one of my favorite things about a trumpet shaped skirt), and 5) elegant.

Here are my thoughts on the 4 remaining favorites:

The Ulla: has a great interesting neckline and a low back, but the skirt isn''t very trumpet shaped (though I was told they could do a muslin fitting first to insure I would get the kind of fit I want). It is definitely different, but is it too weird? I should add that I am doing a bit of a feather theme...feathers in the hair, bouquet, etc.

The first Reem (my mom''s fav): Very slimming, shows off my body the most...doesn''t let me hide anything. Very classy. But, doesn''t have a low back or an interestingly shaped neckline or trumpet skirt. Still shows off the butt, though. The fabric would be great in photos...it''s matte, not shiny. Maybe too traditional?

The second Reem: Interesting neckline. Back isn''t very low, but could be lowered a bit...though not much. Classy...kind of combines my taste and my mom''s. Skirt is a little flared, but not much. Would look very elegant, though I am worried about being too traditional.

The CH: Great shaped skirt...looks amazing with a double French bustle. Looks classy, yet understated. Not a fan of the bodice...afraid it flattens me. I could make the neckline more interesting by adding a V-shaped cutout, which I would definitely do. The back isn''t very low, but could be lowered a bit. Might have to get rid of the lace at the top...it''s different from the fabric at the bottom and perhaps a little too cutesy.

I wish I weren''t being so picky! I know I''m crazy. I just feel like it''s my one chance to wear something completely fabulous. I''ll keep you updated. If anyone has any additional thoughts, please share! You guys really are helping! Thanks!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I second what Al and TG said.

I'm disliking the CH pretty strongly; I feel the little froof on the top of the bodice just draws attention to the fact that you don't, er, carry your weight up top. The stiffness of the fabric just seems to be flattening you out.

The dress that your mother likes seems to be flattering, unusual, and I'm betting from the look of those inserts at the bottom that they bell out when you walk, creating the silhouette of a trumpet skirt.

I also liked Ulla, mostly because it is very striking and if it did in fact look good ON you, it's probably a showstopper of a dress if you're wearing the dress instead of the dress wearing you.

Edited to add: You posted while I was replying, but apparently you'd already noticed everything I mentioned!
41.gif
If you have a feather theme going on, the Ulla has a nice hint of that without going into 'matchy-matchy' territory.

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I like the Carolina Herrera and the Reem Acra that your mom likes.

The Carolina Herrera has a very couture look to it. I think that fitted correctly to you it is going to be a knockout!

The Reem that your mom likes looks unique to me. Even though it is not the trumpet skirt, the panels in the skirt are beautiful. I''m sure it is gorgeous when you walk. I love how it flows.

I don''t think you can go wrong with any of your final four choices!

I''m not a fan of the trumpet skirts either. I think they look cool, but I think they are trendy and costumey looking.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Facet,

I saw this dress (new with tags) and thought of you! Have you come any closer to making a decision?

Reduced Vera Wang Trumpet

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 3:55:20 AM
Author: EBree
Facet,

I saw this dress (new with tags) and thought of you! Have you come any closer to making a decision?

Reduced Vera Wang Trumpet

Cool dress! I wonder if that diagonal pattern would be flattering. I didn''t see that one at the local Vera salon, though I''m going to look into it...thanks!

No, no closer to a decision at this point, just the narrowing it down to four yesterday. I still need to find a time when my mom can come for a visit and take a look at them...I don''t want to same problem as last time...

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the CH with the lace around the top tucked in to show how it would look without the lace. I also tried to add a V-shaped cutout to the neckline to show what it might look like with the modifications I think I want. What do you guys think of it like this?

CHwithoutLacewithCutout.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And here it is with a bigger cutout, kinda to imitate the interesting neckline of the Ulla...I think it helps with the whole looking-flat problem...what do you guys think?

CHwithoutLacewithbiggerCutout.JPG

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
FF-
I LOVE the CH dress. I like the lace around the top, but it looks good either way.

I think that in your size/properly fitted that it''s very sophisticated and just sexy enough.

I wore a trumpet style dress in my May weddingand when I tried on my dress I mentioned having cups sewn into it & lamented the fact that I don''t have a big bust, and the saleswoman said to me, that with this high fashion dresses you weren''t shouldn''t be busting out of them, that it''s a more classic look to not be super-voluptuous in them- think about models on the runway, not centerfolds.
My dress was a sample and I only had to have an inch taken off the bottom, so I was pretty excited to find a dress that fit me w/o alterations, so I took her advice and was v. happy.

The form fitting dresses are sexy enough, I think that having too much cleavage is going over the top and takes away from the beauty of the dress, can be distracting, etc.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I''m with everyone else on this, I don''t think the seaming of the CH dress is flattering on you. I like the first Reem or the newest Vera''s better. The CH seems to minimize your bust and detracts from the shape of the skirt. Have you tried the Melissa Sweet Lia? It''s fairly unique and has a great skirt shape. Priscilla of Boston will customise any of their gowns... or maybe Ristarose? their stuff is pretty avant-garde. Good luck! I think you have some good options, but the CH just isn''t so flattering.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I still like how cute it is from the rear, but I''m starting to go with the others. It doesn''t really do if for you on top. I''m not convinced that the alterations will stop it from flattening you.
40.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 9:45:23 AM
Author: FacetFire
Here''s the CH with the lace around the top tucked in to show how it would look without the lace. I also tried to add a V-shaped cutout to the neckline to show what it might look like with the modifications I think I want. What do you guys think of it like this?
I think the lace modification might make the dress better (the way that fabric drapes is just *amazing*) but I vastly prefer the top straight with no v notch. The notch takes from the elegance IMO.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 9:49:24 AM
Author: FacetFire
And here it is with a bigger cutout, kinda to imitate the interesting neckline of the Ulla...I think it helps with the whole looking-flat problem...what do you guys think?
I think the notch accentuates your bust.... but not in a good way. I think your figure is lovely and looked amazing with it straight across.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I like both of the Reem Acra''s, both are really pretty. Although the modifications you made to teh CH look pretty as well!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second what DTNYC said --that CH gown is high-fashion, and looks beautiful on your petite frame. You don''t need to create the illusion of a big bust because that dress is meant to be most flattering on a slim figure like yours. (runway model-ish, not Playboyish) I don''t think any modifications are needed to the bust at all. I really, really think that once it''s tailored and fitted to you properly, your figure will look stunning in it. If it makes you feel better, you could wear a padded bra with inserts but I don''t think it''s necessary. You have a delicate figure and that dress really highlights it!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 11:53:03 AM
Author: KristyDarling
I second what DTNYC said --that CH gown is high-fashion, and looks beautiful on your petite frame. You don''t need to create the illusion of a big bust because that dress is meant to be most flattering on a slim figure like yours. (runway model-ish, not Playboyish) I don''t think any modifications are needed to the bust at all. I really, really think that once it''s tailored and fitted to you properly, your figure will look stunning in it. If it makes you feel better, you could wear a padded bra with inserts but I don''t think it''s necessary. You have a delicate figure and that dress really highlights it!
that is exactly the what the saleswoman who sold me my dress said- she emphasized that you have to think about what''s truly high fashion/fashion forward- not what we necessarily see on TV- think Vogue and not Maxim.

You are lucky to have the figure to be able to wear one of these form-fitting dresses, showing off that much of your shape is something that many women can''t or won''t try!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if this has been said, but I think her bust is being lost in the CH *in the pictures* 1) because the dress is somewhat close to her skin color and 2) the lighting isn't the best.

Of your final four, the CH is my favorite!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I truly do not mean this in a snarky tone, but I thought the point of a wedding dress was to flatter you and make you look beautiful on your wedding day, not look ''high fashion''.

In my humble opinion, I think runway models look terrible in wedding dresses. ''High fashion'' to me means unhealthily scrawny women wearing outfits that wear them, not the other way around. (This makes perfect sense for a runway model whose purpose is to show off the gown.) I''d rather remember a woman looking beautiful on her wedding day than remember how couture her wedding gown looked. And I am in the design industry. I do love ''high fashion''. But I don''t love it for wedding dresses.

Simply put, the CH does not flatter you, FacetFire.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FF can you repost the top 4 contenders now so that we don''t have to go back 4 pages to see?

i really love the first reem, the funny thing you mentioned it showing off your butt, i totally noticed that and was like man girl you have a tight bootie. lol. i love simple and classic things with a bit of embellishment and to me the first reem does that for you. you have such an amazing figure and you have that tall blonde chignon kinda look going on (mentally for me) so i think you will look amazing regardless. that CH dress is promising when i think about it being fitted for you and your body...it''s so hard to imagine things like that when people are pulling them back because they are too big etc. the right tailoring on a gown can make or break someone''s impression of it big time.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 2:10:29 PM
Author: Mara
FF can you repost the top 4 contenders now so that we don''t have to go back 4 pages to see?

i really love the first reem, the funny thing you mentioned it showing off your butt, i totally noticed that and was like man girl you have a tight bootie. lol. i love simple and classic things with a bit of embellishment and to me the first reem does that for you. you have such an amazing figure and you have that tall blonde chignon kinda look going on (mentally for me) so i think you will look amazing regardless. that CH dress is promising when i think about it being fitted for you and your body...it''s so hard to imagine things like that when people are pulling them back because they are too big etc. the right tailoring on a gown can make or break someone''s impression of it big time.

Will do. :)

Here''s the Ulla Maija:

UllaMaijaLyra1.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
First Reem:

ReemAcra1.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Second Reem:

ReemAcraTrumpet1.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And the CH:

CHwithoutLacewithbiggerCutout1.JPG

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Since you''ve narrowed it down I feel more confident in voting
3.gif
. I say First Reem, hands down.

*M*

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
i agree, the first Reem is stunning. see if you can wear something underneath or have it tailored so butt isn''t so clearlyl outlined, but otherwise..it''s a winner. i wish i were at taht point!!
emcrook.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Oh GAWD, don''t hate me, but I LOVE THE CH!
I also love an untraditional gown, and love a flat bustline. So take my opinion with a grain of salt *wink*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm okay not a fan of the ulla, that deep V thing is super distracting. and i ddon''t even think the dress looks good on the model.

i love the first reem and the second reem actually. and the CH is a third for me, like it COULD be really sweet if it fit right, hard to say. but i like the color, is it a soft pink?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hi FacetFire!

Just going on my earlier conversations with you when you had bought the Vera Wang, I would say either the CH or the 2nd Reem. The seems to be more your style and a good comprimise for you with your mom since they aren't A-line dresses. The 1st Reem looks too clingy on you and do not seem to be YOUR style. As for the Ulla, there's something about those feathers along the bottom that just doesn't appeal to me.

If I had to pick my fave, I would say the CH since you said it wasn't going to be that color in an earlier post. It's classic and looks beautiful on you! I came very close to buying one of her dresses - you can't beat the quality fabric she uses and her attention detail!

Good luck!
5.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2007 1:26:12 PM
Author: Galateia
I truly do not mean this in a snarky tone, but I thought the point of a wedding dress was to flatter you and make you look beautiful on your wedding day, not look 'high fashion'.

In my humble opinion, I think runway models look terrible in wedding dresses. 'High fashion' to me means unhealthily scrawny women wearing outfits that wear them, not the other way around. (This makes perfect sense for a runway model whose purpose is to show off the gown.) I'd rather remember a woman looking beautiful on her wedding day than remember how couture her wedding gown looked. And I am in the design industry. I do love 'high fashion'. But I don't love it for wedding dresses.

Simply put, the CH does not flatter you, FacetFire.
Hmmm, no one was suggesting that she wear the high-fashion dress for the sake of being high-fashion.
33.gif
It is pure happenstance that the gown many people liked on FF happened to be from the couture designer CH. Yes, the gown is high-fashion and was not cut for the average size 10 American woman with a full heaving bosom......but it's so beautiful on FF.

I judge by whatever looks most flattering, pretty, and is "classic with a twist" (kinda like your e-ring!!) -- I don't look for the designer label. Heck, my own gown was a cheapo no-name!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2007 3:21:24 PM
Author: Mara
hmm okay not a fan of the ulla, that deep V thing is super distracting. and i ddon''t even think the dress looks good on the model.

i love the first reem and the second reem actually. and the CH is a third for me, like it COULD be really sweet if it fit right, hard to say. but i like the color, is it a soft pink?
I agree about the deep V on the Ulla. I love Ulla gowns for their rich fabrics and opulent designs, but that V is a bit odd.

As for the Reems, I''d say the first one looks VERY pretty on you, but I''ve been seeing a lot of wedding gowns that look exactly like it. It doesn''t have the uniqueness nor the "wow" factor that the CH does. The second Reem is pretty too, but I''m not a big fan of the pointy parts on the outer edges of the bodice near the armpits.

Also, really think about the fabrics and what your preference is. The first Reem is soft and chiffony, more understated. The other gowns are more opulent and are made of rich, luxe-looking silks (YUMMM!). They make very different statements. So, FacetFire.....where''s your brain on all this right now?
3.gif

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I still love the CH the best!! In my opinion, in the Reem dress you can see the outline of your chest & butt too clearly. I wouldn''t call the CH "high fashion," I would call it elegant and sophisticated. Personally, I don''t think looking extra curvy or showing off cleavage is a good look for one''s wedding day. I''ll let people see the clear outline of my boobs when out at a bar with friends, but not through my wedding dress on my wedding day.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results