shape
carat
color
clarity

Got CADs of band. Want opinions. :-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey guys! I ordered my "inspired by Garland" band from Brian Gavin Diamonds. These CADs are actually really interesting for any newbies who are interested in the design process (and maybe even some not so newbies) as they are second round, and there is likely to be a third round. So I will post these now, and then the third round (into this thread) when I get them.

Brian sent the first round back immediately after they were done (even before I saw them) as HE wasn't happy with how high the diamonds were set and how (comparatively) clunky the original setting was. I made a change request to the first round as well.

And I've requested a change to this round, which may or may not be possible.

I started this process with Brian in September but put the project on hold due to exciting (understatement) finance issues, so the anticipation has been KILLING ME, and I'm so excited that I had to share these... even though they are 'in process' and not final.

Plus, if anyone spots anything that they want to suggest as a modification, I'd like to consider the change now... before we hit 'execute"! Feel free to speak up, as I welcome your thoughts, as always!

One thing that is different from the inspiration ring is the proportions of the diamonds. One the BN Garland (see below) the melee diamonds are smaller than the ones in my CAD. I'd guess the BN ones were 7 or 8 pointers, whereas the melee diamonds on mine are 10 pointers. Any opinions on this proportion change would be especially welcome. Which do you prefer, the smaller melee diamonds in the BN ring, or the larger ones in the BGD CADs?

The large stones in the CAD below are all BGD Signature AGS 0 hearts and arrows ideals-- five of them at .32 G SI1 (4.4 mm). And the small stones are eight 10 pointers at F-G VS hearts and arrows melee. The setting will be platinum (gold is so freaking expensive now the difference was negligible). And I'm am REALLY excited! It is half eternity and the metal shank bottom will have milgrain on either side of it (you can look at the BGD Serendipity setting or the Dana band to see what that looks like on a completed ring).

Corrrections.jpg

GYPSY band03.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The change I've requested is to the horizontal banding that bookends the final diamond on each side of the band. The smooth band isn't doing much for me so I've suggested something like the double banding seen in this pic instead.

But there might not be room for that, and I don't want to make that band any larger. We'll see, I talk to Brian tomorrow about the banding design, and I'm sure we'll figure it out.

6.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As an FYI, this is the "inspiration" band. As you can see, the one BGD is making me is very different in terms of the setting (and the carat weight too) as this one is a closed gallery, and mine is an open gallery and the bottom of the shank is completely overhauled. This band is from Blue Nile and is 2.00 ctw. My finished band should be 2.5 ctw.

AB27502400_main1.jpg

AB27502400_mainG.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous Gypsy!! I can't wait to see the finished product! i love the look of it already.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE it Gypsy! I really love the milgrain location - I wish it could go all around the circle :)

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
You will love this. And you will be so grateful for the platinum down the road. You won't have to worry about gold allergies developing out of the blue.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like the design but have one suggestion, not sure if it is to your taste but for me, I would like the side by side diamonds to be angled outwards slightly.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
second round looks fantastic!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how you have expanded the design and added your own little details to it. I was thinking that you really can't see the milligrain from the top view......what about incorporating that on the end caps somehow. I think the milligrain needs to be seen at all angles. The ering... is that yours? That is beautiful! If that is yours, that will look stunning with the band!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you band looks perfect! If you don't like the end caps perhaps you could do something like one of the versions of
the nightingale band with pinched ends and maybe a little stone. I love the milgrain on the band, I have loved that touch on the
other rings Brian has done. Great job, it's going to be fantastic!

Your band is 100 times better that the BN!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1291540834|2787705 said:

Great choices - it will be stunning and it is great that it ended up in PLAT.

My nitpick is this. For such a substantial band I would want to be sure it looked ooomphf-ie from the top down. So I prefer that the 1/3 ct (no2 on the top dead centre) be raised more like sketch no1 with the other stones graduating back down. I just think the centre of the ring looks flat or sunken in comparison to the 1st sketch.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love it! Cannot wait to see the final product! Exciting!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i completely love the second version.

tell me, is this ring to where on its own, or with others?

i find that influences my choice of design quite a bit...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I also love the second design :) :) I think it looks great! Much better than the first.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! The part that got my eye was the 'exciting (understatement) financial issues'. :appl:

Wonderful news!!! Did you win the lottery?? :bigsmile: :wavey:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steal|1291565652|2787863 said:
Gypsy|1291540834|2787705 said:

Great choices - it will be stunning and it is great that it ended up in PLAT.

My nitpick is this. For such a substantial band I would want to be sure it looked ooomphf-ie from the top down. So I prefer that the 1/3 ct (no2 on the top dead centre) be raised more like sketch no1 with the other stones graduating back down. I just think the centre of the ring looks flat or sunken in comparison to the 1st sketch.
Along these lines ... have you considered making the very center stone just a TISH bit bigger than the others? Also like the suggestion of the doubled smaller stones being angled outward a bit.

Overall, beautiful project & great progress. Congrats!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! Great comments. Stone, I'd love to see what you mean about the side by side diamonds being angled. You mean angled downwards away from each standalone. Hmm... I'm going to ask Brian about it.

Steal, you reminded me that I did want the 1/3 carats raised higher than the melee diamonds! Great eye. I will ask Brian about that today. (I wanted to read your comments before speaking to him).

This will be a standalone band for my ring finger.

Isaku, no I didn't win the lottery but something did happen. I'm actually not allowed to speak about it as I am under a non-disclosure agreement. But this ring IS a reward.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Spoke with an (exhausted) Brian. Next round of CADs are underway ASAP. So I will hopefully have them to post in the next day or so.

I love the design process. It is so much fun. I know, I'm a nut!

The engagement ring pictured is not mine. It is a Faye Cullen ring. I just wanted something to illustrate what I meant by changing the banding.

Deco, the .32 pointers are all a perfect match for each other, and I like that. I considered a slightly bigger center, but ultimately decided that I wanted all equal sizes. I think that raising the .32's above the .10's as Steal reminded me will give it the effect of the center being larger though. So I will wait to see how the next round of CADs comes out before considering a change to any of the diamonds I currently have.

((HUGS)) and much thanks all. This is a live process, so if anyone else wants to comment or suggest anything please feel free!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the design--no mods needed, IMHO. What a smashing ring this will be!

cheers--Sharon

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the sleeker profile of your latest CAD. This is going to be gorgeous!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is going to be one GORGEOUS ring :appl: :love:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something like this. The smaller stones are tilted 15 degrees.

gypsy_15_garland.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Skippy, Sharon and Jstar! =)

Stone Cold!!! That is awesome (you rock, you know that right?) and I ADORE IT. I sent it to Brian and asked him to forward it to his CAD person ASAP. THANK YOU so much. For spending the time doing that! It helped inordinately! :appl:

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh! Gypsy, this is soooo exciting. I've been waiting for you to start this project so I can live vicariously through the process. I think Stone-cold's suggestion is great.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank tigian!

YAY. So I talked to Brian.

The .32 pointers will be set higher than the .10 pointers (thank you Steal). The banding will be double banded as a design element.

It won't show on the third round of CADs but the setter will be setting the 10 pointers at a slight outward tilting angle (thank you Stone Cold). The prong tips will be pointed (so excited about that).

So, now I get to wait for the third CAD round.

Just as an FYI, this band (pictured bellow) by BGD is part of the inspiration for the design on this band (it has the open gallery). It's similar to my band except the diamonds are custom cut matching pears-- all the same size (where as mine are two different sizes) and it's a full eternity.

But you can see on the pear band that the single diamonds are set slightly about hte double ones. So mine should be the same.

BrianGavin_PearBand5_112410.jpg

BrianGavin_PearBand2_112410.jpg

BrianGavin_PearBand3_112410.jpg

BrianGavin_PearBand6_112410.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can't wait to see the next CADs. this is going to be a beautiful band!

also :love: that pear band you posted--thanks for sharing

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the changes sound fab! Stone Cold DOES rock. That was an amazing favor & soooooo helpful. Gyp: have you see a picture of that pear ring on a hand? Could you? It looks a little scary to me somehow. Like a piece of machinery or something, rather than a ring. I'm sure its just the angles of the photos or something ...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slg, the pear band is lovely isn't it. And I've always been a fan of pears. LOL. When I was shown it... I was gaga over the diamonds and Brian was like "the gallery, look at the gallery..." and I'm like "the waaaahhhhh.... gallery? What's a gallery... lookit the diamonds.... drool." It took him a while to get met to focus on the gallery.

I'm a magpie. Dazzled by bling.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1291607336|2788512 said:
All the changes sound fab! Stone Cold DOES rock. That was an amazing favor & soooooo helpful. Gyp: have you see a picture of that pear ring on a hand? Could you? It looks a little scary to me somehow. Like a piece of machinery or something, rather than a ring. I'm sure its just the angles of the photos or something ...

Stone rocks. Period.

As for the band on the hand. To be honest I can't imagine wearing ANY of the large carat eternity bands on the finger. I've tried on some of the five carat round eternities at Tiffany, and I've tried on the Aria Band eternity (also similar to the Garland band, see pic below) eternity, and I can't handle any of them on my finger.

The half eternity design of ALL of my rings is purposeful. I don't care for the feel of eternity bands.

img-thingGYP4.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, glad to be of help. :)

Nice pear ring but I think the non-symm of the pears would bug me though... :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results