shape
carat
color
clarity

Got CADs of band. Want opinions. :-)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I meant .50 total, so .25s. Me and my wee bling. :bigsmile:

I - yeah. Don't know what to tell you about that bracelet. I'd have a hard time paying for "a silver twisted rope with a tiny gold cap and some diamond chips sprinkled on the end" too. Meh. I don't know what to tell you. Blech that sucks, especially if you know she'd prefer it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually it is 750. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod15920078&parentId=cat16650745&masterId=cat16650743&index=259&cmCat=cat000000cat2830732cat2830733cat000160cat540734cat16650743cat16650745 So, I guess I will just bite the bullet and get it for her.

My complaint about my mom is that she always buys me what she wants to buy me, not what I would like as a present. So I'm not going to do the same thing to her.

ETA: LMAO at your wee bling. I had a conversation about 'bigger is better' when I was working on my last project with him and I was like... no, I'm modest in my tastes. I like well designed pieces that are artistic to pure "Show me The Bling" at any cost. So when I called for this band I was like... I think the BN band uses .25's for the larger stone but I'd like to use .30's if we can... and slightly larger melee, and Brian interupts me and says, "You need to admit it, just this once. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BLING"... and I had to laugh because he was right. For THIS project it is all about the bling. This is my first venture into the dark side. I fear it will be addicting.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I HATE it when people get me stuff they think I want instead of the things I ask for. Ugh, makes me crazy. So go for the bracelet. Even though you might die a little inside.

My wee bling. Lolz. My wedding band with 1 pointers, .25 TCW 'lil studs and my scattered hoops with a whopping .04 of stones in each one. LMAO. I'll order 3mm and 4mm fakies and see what I like. Be prepared to laugh. :bigsmile:

And sometimes - it's okay for it just to be about the bling. Didn't you say once that the whole point of this band was to signal people across the room?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will respond with more later. But yes. I want to blind MYSELF while I'm driving. Like a mac trucks headlights riding your bumper baby on a clear night !

Gecko, my padawan... join me. Get the .40 each. That's 4.8mm... so nearly 5 mm. JOIN ME. FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!
:lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Final CADs are in.! Before you judge them though... first, the stones will be set lower than this shows (the CADs are being adjusted to lower the setting). And the 10 pointers will be set at angles, as StoneCold's CAD demonstrated. But this is going to be done during the setting phase and doesn't show in the CAD.

The CADs have ended up being more of a Proof of Concept than a Blueprint. This isn't going to be a pure CAD project. Portions of it are going to be handmade. Brian is now going to have to turn the Proof Concept to a working map, which means he is stripping all the outside prongs from the CAD, as they will have to be hand wired in individually to make the design work correctly. :o

THEN, he is going to hand carve and alter the WAX to edit it. Particularly the bookend double bands. They are larger and more prominent in the CADs than they will in real life. =)

And finally, the prongs. While I originally requested tiny claw prongs, that was based on the Garland Band, which doesn't have many shared prongs. In my band, for structural safety, Brian has all the prongs holding more than one stone, so claw prongs aren't going to work. BUT, he is going to have them shaped. And I'm excited about they choice we made about this (you'll have to tune into the final band to see!) :Up_to_something:

Without further ado... the As Yet Unnamed Band. (naming suggestions welcome).

Names under consideration: Aurora's Band

GYPSYADORNED1.jpg

GYPSYADORNED 2.jpg

GYPSYADORNED 3.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought you didn't want all of the diamonds the same height? wanted the 5 bigger ones raised above for some texture and pop?

It looks nice, but... I think I like one of the previous ones better... maybe it's not really important what the cad looks like, like you said, as long as he knows :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely do want the larger stones set slightly higher than smaller ones. And he knows that 8) . But I had the choice between adjusting the actual settings of those so that they would stagger up and down, or have them at the same height and having the profile look fluid. If you look at the pear eternity you'll see what I mean by the stagger. And I didn't want that look. And so I trust that Brian will tell the setter to make sure that the larger stones are higher and that the smaller stones will be angled and depressed.

Again, as this project isn't a full CAD and Cast the images are a proof of concept, not a final locked. A lot of the 'fine tuning' is going to be done by hand including the wiring of the prongs (which will directly affect the control they will have over how the stones are set).

At some point, it comes down to faith that you've picked the right craftsman for the job. And having worked with Brian before and been utterly awed at his attention to detail and his understanding of exactly how much of a picky PITA I am (poor guy!)-- I am good.

Which pic did you like better in the last round Cehra? I'd love to hear your further thoughts hon.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay - you're gonna laugh - I looked back over them and the one that was sticking in my head that I liked the most was stone cold's lol I just liked his stone placement and I thought at the time that reflected what you were going for and somehow in my mind I settled on that :cheeky: I dl that program he recommended - ugh, I can barely make a box..... :razz:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stonecold's are lovely, and I adored them. But, they don't address prong placement and number and the structure of the prongs and the security of the stones. They are concept images-- look over it again and try to place prongs (ones that aren't S shaped) between those stones.Or alternately, without a lot more gaps in between those stones to get each stone set at exactly that height and angle with dedicated prongs instead of shared ones.

To actually do the large stone heights THAT raised above the melee stones would mean they couldn't really be shared prongs. And I would have ended up with more metal between the stones and possibly more prongs (and I didn't WANT more metal!). The BN ring has only two prongs holding each of those stones. I didn't want that as it would mean that one bent prong would potentially mean a lost stone. I wanted shared prongs. So that means the stones need to be somewhat close together in height. :wink2:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL I could barely follow that - there's no way you'd want me to attempt to design it, can you imagine? :razz: I'm challenged enough as it is! I do like that last profile shot a lot :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a design geek. So I eat this stuff up. It's fun for me. Taking a concept and making it real... learning what the steps are and what the decisions are that go to making that reality come to life, but still make sure that it is the resulting product is heirloom quality (will last and last) ...well, sometimes you have to make compromises. That's why I like working with Brian so much, he really explains things to me and gives me options, explaining the pluses and minuses of each option and then letting me make a educated decision.

It's a collaboration that works for me. :wavey:

We just have to find what works for you. =) That's all.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1291801635|2790749 said:
I'm a design geek. So I eat this stuff up. It's fun for me. Taking a concept and making it real... learning what the steps are and what the decisions are that go to making that reality come to life, but still make sure that it is the resulting product is heirloom quality (will last and last) ...well, sometimes you have to make compromises. That's why I like working with Brian so much, he really explains things to me and gives me options, explaining the pluses and minuses of each option and then letting me make a educated decision.

It's a collaboration that works for me. :wavey:

We just have to find what works for you. =) That's all.
Lol clay? Ugh, I deleted my thread, too sensitive. 8 hours one cool one interesting- didn't bode well for me

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Love. It. It's going to be stunning!!

Name suggestion: Apollo band, since it will be blinding like the sun.

Similar line of reasoning (Greek mythology nutcase over here) Eos band. (Goddess of the dawn, brings hope for the new day).

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's going to be absolutely gorgeous. I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's just right.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I'm not quite on board with the milgrain for some reason. Doesn't quite seem to fit with the rest of the band. Hmm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. I'm pretty happy with it.

Gecko, meh, the 'secret milgrain' is just for fun.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eos. LMAO. You are in my brain! That's why I was considering Aurora, roman goddess of the dawn. Aurora was the Roman word for Dawn. Too funny.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Porridge Likes This.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the second CAD. I like the lower set stones- sleeker profile. It is truly stunning!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1291848351|2791441 said:
Eos. LMAO. You are in my brain! That's why I was considering Aurora, roman goddess of the dawn. Aurora was the Roman word for Dawn. Too funny.

I lean more towards the Greek. ;)) And secret milgrain is fun. Just making sure you didn't want it to show, LOL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Argh. Ate my post.

Highlights. John preferred Aurora, so that's the name I gave BGD.

I like the idea of milgrain, but can't commit to it where it shows. So this is my way of easing into it. Weird but true.

Studs were a no go on budget. Buying lower colors and clarities for myself is one thing. But I couldn't do it on a gift. Weird but true. And the color/clarity I felt comfortable with broke the budget. Plus my niece reminded me that my MIL prefers hoops. So I got a pair from ID Jewelry, cause I've been wanting to try them for a while and they had exactly what I wanted in stock. They sent me 'real life' pics, not just website pics, and they looked just right. So that's done.

Can't wait for this band.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1291807702|2790785 said:
Lol clay? Ugh, I deleted my thread, too sensitive. 8 hours one cool one interesting- didn't bode well for me

You are too sensitive. I liked the clay. Made me understand what you wanted. Did you get my advice about the artist rendering? CAD programs are difficult for me too. Not surprised you had issues with it. It will come. But like I said, I think you are a visual communicator, so it's just a little harder for you work long distance unless the other person gets that. You think visually. You do art. You paint. Your very visual. It's very cool actually. And cool, Cehra, is a compliment.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1291856863|2791600 said:
Argh. Ate my post.

Highlights. John preferred Aurora, so that's the name I gave BGD.

I like the idea of milgrain, but can't commit to it where it shows. So this is my way of easing into it. Weird but true.

Studs were a no go on budget. Buying lower colors and clarities for myself is one thing. But I couldn't do it on a gift. Weird but true. And the color/clarity I felt comfortable with broke the budget. Plus my niece reminded me that my MIL prefers hoops. So I got a pair from ID Jewelry, cause I've been wanting to try them for a while and they had exactly what I wanted in stock. They sent me 'real life' pics, not just website pics, and they looked just right. So that's done.

Can't wait for this band.

Aurora - Was always my play name growing up when we'd play make believe. LOL! Love it. Totally fitting, and gorgeous to match what is sure to be a gorgeous ring.

Milgrain - Actually, that makes sense. At least to me, LOL. Everyone else is a different matter.

Studs - Bummer, but at least you investigated the possibility, and now you know. Plus, if she prefers hoops, all the better. Which hoops, out of curiosity?

I can't wait to see it, and I think it's going to be a phenominal addition to your collection! Warn me if you're ever in MI - I'll bust out the sunglasses. :rodent:

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, that ring is going to be AMAZING! You have a great eye and I love all of the details. I can't wait to see this beauty in real life! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gecko, you know that my husband's (enduring) nickname for me is a lizard nickname right? I think I've mentioned that before. Well, the reason I picked Aurora is because I used it in a short story I wrote when I was 14, which I told my husband about... so he used to call me Aurora as a nickname when we were first dating. You and I have some strange stuff in common. It's funny. We should meet... preferably somewhere warmer than MI. LOL.

Milgrain is a strange thing. When used as an delicate accent I actually really love it. When a piece is covered in it, not so much. But my style is (as you so eloquently put it) sculptural and milgrain doesn't go with that style generally.

Thank you very much AG. We'll have to do a January GTG or something. Brian is shooting for a Christmas delivery.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As for the MIL's hoops. I don't know which ones they are on the site (ETA: I don't think they are on the site actually). There were so many hoop options I got dizzy. I just called and spoke to Yekutiel and told him I wanted a really secure pair they had in stock, on the small side (although his definition of small and mine required clarification. He's used to PSers that want a LOT of bling, and my MIL isn't a big bling person and I wanted something more everyday.) with really nice melee. And then he asked me a lot of questions to narrow it down (they really have a lot of hoops), picked a pair and sent me a bunch of real pics for approval (not advertising pics, which I really appreciated).

These are inside and outside diamond hoops 3/4 inch (so a little larger than I originally thought MIL would be comfortable with) but what sold me is the safety catch on them and the 4 prongs on each stone (really super secure) and the fact that they are set in house by their bench with hand selected melee.

Here's one of the pics he sent me. I think they will blow her away.

IMG_2955GYP.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Those are gorgeous!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1291857405|2791613 said:
Cehrabehra|1291807702|2790785 said:

You are too sensitive. I liked the clay. Made me understand what you wanted. Did you get my advice about the artist rendering? CAD programs are difficult for me too. Not surprised you had issues with it. It will come. But like I said, I think you are a visual communicator, so it's just a little harder for you work long distance unless the other person gets that. You think visually. You do art. You paint. Your very visual. It's very cool actually. And cool, Cehra, is a compliment.

Gecko is nuts - I love the milgrain!! :D that last profile shot is really nice... I hope it's super comfortable.

and you flatter me - and YES I was being too sensitive... as much as I've learned about the (btw sorry for threadjack) process, I still went way overboard before and failed miserably so I kind of come into this at an emotional disadvantage. But I do think I've learned enough to do this so I don't feel discouraged.... and I know my tastes run a bit to the ecclectic relative to the norm and I'm okay with that... and I know that area is really slow right now so I can't take it personally, exactly... and I was having "a day" yesterday lol How's that? I did make a new one to "perfect" my favorite design but it's still a preschool clay project lmao

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those hoops are a thoughtful, beautiful, and generous gift, gypsy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results