shape
carat
color
clarity

Got CADs of band. Want opinions. :-)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1291904918|2792027 said:
Gecko is nuts - I love the milgrain!! :D that last profile shot is really nice... I hope it's super comfortable.

Well, yes, but I thought that was a well known fact. :bigsmile:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
geckodani|1291911118|2792109 said:
Gecko is nuts - I love the milgrain!! :D that last profile shot is really nice... I hope it's super comfortable.

:appl: all the best are nuts :)

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Wow - the band is gorgeous!! Sigh...it's making me want a band also.
Coming to PS is like temptation island. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Temptation Island. Yes, it certainly can be at times. Actually due to the economy and some other factors this place is actually (I know hard to imagine) less of a temptation that it was a couple of years ago. Plus when I get too much like a dragon trying to amass a horde I usually take breaks and return to reality.

As I told gecko, I am already scoping out my next project though. So... yeah, it's a bad, bad, place sometimes. BUT you need to remember that many of us have built up our pieces over time. Some by upgrading, others just by saving and keeping thier eye on a prize, some to mark significant occassions (10 or 20 year anniversaries, making partner at a firm, push presents for babies). So if you know the history behind some of the menu of bling before you it helps.

I sold over 2K in gold jewelry I had that I didn't wear earlier this year. Some of it was heirloom stuff and it was a difficult decision. I had the funds from that earmarked for one piece I would actually wear. Then I lost my job. Funds were re-allocated. Then I got a new job, but with a 20% income cut. Then my husband had a significant surgery and the state of CA decided to f*ck with us in paying disability payments which made things really uncomfortable. And I had some special occassion pass... a birthday, an anniversary, with no gifts. Plus another private event recently that I had been anticipating for a while (it ws actually TODAY that it happened though!). So... yes, this is a pricey fricken piece but it is a reward for quite a few things.

AND... when we got married we were paying for our wedding largely by ourselves. So I got a pre-owned wedding band. Now, I love my band. I really do and for me, it's mine now and history doesn't matter at all. But it has bothered my husband for well over 2 years that we weren't able to afford to get me a new band. So the choice of a band (as opposed to another piece) is also because this is (in part) my husbands (as he puts it) 'real' wedding band to me.

So see... after all that. When you personalize other's pieces and you understand what's gone into them... it makes it easier to understand the purchases. Instead of just popping in and thinking we are all spoiled diamond addicts. Okay, we are... well, some of us are (me?)... but there is other stuff behind the scenes that humanizes the purchases.

At least... that's how I justify it. When my husband asks :Up_to_something: .

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, all of that from "this place is temptation island"? :D

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1291869752|2791825 said:
Gecko, you know that my husband's (enduring) nickname for me is a lizard nickname right? I think I've mentioned that before. Well, the reason I picked Aurora is because I used it in a short story I wrote when I was 14, which I told my husband about... so he used to call me Aurora as a nickname when we were first dating. You and I have some strange stuff in common. It's funny. We should meet... preferably somewhere warmer than MI. LOL.

Milgrain is a strange thing. When used as an delicate accent I actually really love it. When a piece is covered in it, not so much. But my style is (as you so eloquently put it) sculptural and milgrain doesn't go with that style generally.

Thank you very much AG. We'll have to do a January GTG or something. Brian is shooting for a Christmas delivery.

Okay, I missed this yesterday. And kinda twilight zone on the similarities, LOL. I'm geckodani because I'm cold. All. The. Time. So DH had to come up with, "A cold blooded critter nickname that was still kinda cute." Thus the gecko.

I wrote a book when I was 16. (It's horrible, LOL.) Main character was Aurora.

And I'd love to meet. And NOT in MI. It's freaking cold here!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1291944152|2792718 said:
geckodani|1291911118|2792109 said:

:appl: all the best are nuts :)

Indeed. :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am having fun!

I got wax pictures today. Everything is on track for Christmas delivery and I am just so excited!!!

BrianGavin_Wax1_121510.jpg

BrianGavin_Wax2_121510.jpg

BrianGavin_Wax3_121510.jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Looks yummy Gypsy!! Can't wait to see the finished piece!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to see the start to finish process! So glad it is coming together! I look forward to seeing the final piece! It will be Stunning!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
So cool to see the process!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just found this thread today, Gypsy, and I'm so glad you are going ahead with your Garland band from BGD. This will be a wonderful piece that has a lot of meaning for you, and I hope you love it as much as I think you will. Hope life treats you and yours well, and the future just gets better and better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you KT! I love your new bling too. That band of yours… especially with the arrows picture front and center has my hands rubbing together in glee just thinking that I will have my band in a week!

CCN—I know the creation process fascinates me. I love watching a piece go from concept, to CAD, to wax then to the cast and finally the finish. So Brian indulges me with pics so that I understand how the pieces are made, and how the process if going. It’s a lot of fun.

Gecko, isn’t it? I always hope these threads will inspire others to reach out to vendors they like who do custom work and to take a chance on creating something personal and unique.

Flygirl! I was so excited to see you I almost killed my computer with hot tea! How are you? I know I am going to just adore this band, and it’s been a pleasure to indulge in a bling project again. All my best wishes and thoughts that life treats you and yours well too, and the future just gets better and better for you as well. What a lovely post, my friend.

I’m gonna have this puppy in a WEEK (well, next Friday)! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I cannot wait!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1292523243|2798665 said:
Thank you KT! I love your new bling too. That band of yours… especially with the arrows picture front and center has my hands rubbing together in glee just thinking that I will have my band in a week!

Gecko, isn’t it? I always hope these threads will inspire others to reach out to vendors they like who do custom work and to take a chance on creating something personal and unique.

I’m gonna have this puppy in a WEEK (well, next Friday)! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I cannot wait!

I suck at designing. I'll let you do it and drool instead. :bigsmile:

Wow - One week!!!!! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you'd be good at it if you tried gecko. I really do. And it is FUN. :Up_to_something:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl! I was so excited to see you I almost killed my computer with hot tea! How are you? I know I am going to just adore this band, and it’s been a pleasure to indulge in a bling project again. All my best wishes and thoughts that life treats you and yours well too, and the future just gets better and better for you as well. What a lovely post, my friend.

I've got some extra income coming, my 24-year-old DS is hopefully going off the family dole soon, and health-wise we are hanging in there. I'm celebrating with some Christmas pearls. Pictures over in Pearls under "My Christmas Pearls are on the Way!" I figure a working professional lady that is all grown up like I am is due for some beauties like these.

I purchased my Crafted by Infinity diamond just before the recession and some hard times began. I was really, really glad I got that diamond when times were good. These little baubles really do help sustain us during the vicissitudes of life, which is what I was thinking about when I saw you were finally getting your Garland ring.

Thank you so much, my dear Gypsy, and I will be following this project of yours with great interest.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every time you say this I think PUPPY puppy. Ruff ruff Puppy. GAH. I have puppies on the brain!!! Looking forward to seeing YOUR "puppy". No pooper scooper required.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy thanks for sharing the wax pictures with us :) I think it looks great and I can't wait to see it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1292570941|2799370 said:
Every time you say this I think PUPPY puppy. Ruff ruff Puppy. GAH. I have puppies on the brain!!! Looking forward to seeing YOUR "puppy". No pooper scooper required.

no pooperscooper, but possibly a drool bib ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry Deco. What's funny is I read that post over and wondered what puppy (as in woof woof) *I* was talking about too. :confused: Sometimes 'articulate' just doesn't apply to me.

Slg, I asked for the process shots as part of the project when I first scoped it with BGD, and it was factored into the pricing, but it's something I enjoy and that is important to me. PlusI am contemplating taking a some Jewelry CAD courses at a local jewelry school (very well regarded apparently), so it's as educational for me as it fun. It's a 'second career' I am considering for later in life. And I figure that someone else might get inspired to try custom, or think even about going into CAD design, like I did when I joined and folks posted thier pictures when I was first getting interested in this stuff. With the economy being what it is even PS projects have gotten more modest and less frequent, and I figure it's paying it forward to share when I can. I adore these types of threads-- living vicariously through other's projects is part of the 'thrill' of being a PSer for me.

Thank you Cehra!

So... these will be the last batch of process shots before the "Glamor Shots" of the final band (before it's shipped out and in my hot little hands.

Because Brian decided to have the outside prongs hand wired in and prongs are a pet peeve of mine with settings, I asked for these so I cold QA anything before the diamonds were set.

I can honestly say that when I opened these I was THRILLED because they setting is even more fluid and delicate (in a good way) than I could have hoped. And I am so happy with the choices we made (like the double banding, the open gallery etc) because this band is SO stunning to me. Even WITHOUT the BGD signature diamonds. I'm so freaking excited I cant' stand still. I'm like a puppy (this time a woof woof puppy) with my butt wiggling on the floor hoping for a treat.

So here are the pics of the setting before the diamonds.

BrianGavin_Custom1_121710.jpg

BrianGavin_Custom2_121710.jpg

BrianGavin_Custom3_121710.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh yummy!

It's very very bad of me, but I keep wanting to copy everyone's designs. You all have way better ideas than me and I already have two PS-inspired pieces! I want this ring and gemgirl's new pendant....

My bad.

I shall avert my lustful eyes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think that's bad Rosetta.

I think it's great. I don't know any PSer who minds if someone gets the same piece as them, as long as that person isn't in their real life.

If someone wants to keep a piece private, they don't post pictures of it. And ask the vendor to not sell the design (if the vendor will agree). I certainly have never done that... INTENTIONALLY, because I love it when something I'm working on inpires others or makes them want one too. It's the highest compliment, honestly.

Please, if there is ever any piece of mind you would like to own as well, feel free to contact the vendor who made it! It makes me ridiculously happy as a matter of fact just to hear you say that.

Thank you!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Picture me jumping up and down with glee for you Gypsy! It's going to be flat out GORGEOUS!!!

ETA: Since BGD had you name the sucker, I'm assuming they will offer it on their site eventually, yes? (See me plotting over here. :devil: ) Everything I've ever seen you take part in designing has turned out simply magnificent Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gecko, THANK YOU! I'm super excited too. If my bank does scr*w it up, the wire payment and then it will be shipped to me when it is done (shooting for Tuesday but not confirmed yet).

I do believe they will be offering it for sale. At least that was my understanding (and I wholeheartedly encouraged them to).

Designing is fun. Super fun. I'm watching you plot!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1292570941|2799370 said:

Deco~ you and I are sharing a brain! Scary, isn't it :shock: I was thinking about the canine variety of puppy, Layla. I'm not great with this type of design process, but, from what I've seen, this ring is going to be a stunner. I'm sure you will have pics up as soon as you receive it. If not, you will truly be in the dog house :bigsmile:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1292798878|2801217 said:
I don't think that's bad Rosetta.

I think it's great. I don't know any PSer who minds if someone gets the same piece as them, as long as that person isn't in their real life.

If someone wants to keep a piece private, they don't post pictures of it. And ask the vendor to not sell the design (if the vendor will agree). I certainly have never done that... INTENTIONALLY, because I love it when something I'm working on inpires others or makes them want one too. It's the highest compliment, honestly.

Please, if there is ever any piece of mind you would like to own as well, feel free to contact the vendor who made it! It makes me ridiculously happy as a matter of fact just to hear you say that.

Thank you!

you are very gracious gypsy!

i will put your ring in my "inspiration" folder, who knows, one day i may own one myself.

for now, i will drool over the internet at yours!

can't wait to see your photos...

i have my shades ready.... :sun:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, this band is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Can't wait for handshots!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Lizzy and Gecko and Rising Sun.

Rosetta, thank you as well.

The wire is posted to our account so... I get it this week!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I've been checking in on this thread since it started, and I can I say - I can't wait until you receive the ring! It looks fantastic - and as a fellow prong-sensitive person, I am particularly eager to see what's been done in that regard. Please post pictures right away - I am so eager to see the final outcome. Congratulations :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results