shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

ArkhamB

Rough_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

pixies|1294712623|2819378 said:
I'd rather keep the shank detail of the MC2 ring instead of the profile. That's what makes the ring! It's tricky -- you can't infringe but you like the look. I hope it doesn't get lost in translation. I love the Maevona rings but they seem to be more simplistic than the other designs you've considered. Here is the sapphire ring I saw on FB. I didn't see any others.

I like MC2 and Maevona. They are just very different to me. Is JbEG out of the running now?

Pixies...do you know where I can look at this ring? Or if someone else knows where this style is available.

Thanks
Brian

pixies

Shiny_Rock

ArkhamB|1303177791|2899629 said:
pixies|1294712623|2819378 said:
I'd rather keep the shank detail of the MC2 ring instead of the profile. That's what makes the ring! It's tricky -- you can't infringe but you like the look. I hope it doesn't get lost in translation. I love the Maevona rings but they seem to be more simplistic than the other designs you've considered. Here is the sapphire ring I saw on FB. I didn't see any others.

I like MC2 and Maevona. They are just very different to me. Is JbEG out of the running now?

Pixies...do you know where I can look at this ring? Or if someone else knows where this style is available.

Thanks
Brian

The ring is by MaeVona. Here is their site http://www.maevona.com/. You may want to contact them directly if it is not listed on the site (since I found it on their FB account). Just shoot them an email or call them and I'm sure they'll help you!

pixies

Shiny_Rock

I am torn about the cuffs vs pears. I think they could work together but it's really all about proportions. I'm not a designer so I'd probably do what others suggest and leave some choices with the designer so things don't get muddled.

Would it be totally unromantic of me to suggest showing your FF and seeing what she thinks? She knows a proposal is coming so it wouldn't ruin the surprise. I know you've put a lot of thought and effort into this, but it may help you decide on final details. She may prefer one thing to another. You could show her a few cads, ask for input, then not show her the final version.

I'm sure that won't happen ;-) so I would just have a conversation with Erica about what she thinks will look best in regards to what you've asked for thus far. Also, try shrinking the CADs down to life size (if she didn't send you tiny ones). She did that for me and it really helped me to visualize the project in correct perspective.

Also, I wouldn't fret about chunkiness as I'm sure it will turn out much more delicate than the CADs. My ring did!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi all!

As the designer of Steve's ring, I've been following this thread with much interest :saint: I wasn't planning to hop on, but I know that Steve really takes PS opinion to heart and gets a lot of his ideas from this thread, so I will post my thoughts as a collaborative effort to get Steve his perfect ring.

Since you have all been so supportive and helpful with this design (and I wholeheartedly feel that some of the PS design recommendations have made the ring better, which I appreciate!) I thought I'd hop on and post some of the initial design directives, discuss the challenges we're facing at this stage, and attach the previous rendering (the more popular one) reduced down to near-actual size, for perspective, which I feel is critical for any client who is trying to visualize a finished ring based on very magnified CAD renderings.

First and foremost, we want to design a setting that Steve and his girlfriend will love! This is our shared goal.

Initial Design Directives:

I find that it's helpful to go back to the beginning - first instincts are usually correct, and that's what I've been pondering recently - what were Steve's initial design requests? Is our design a good interpretation of his directive?

1. Two-tone metal
2. 3-stone ring using pear sides
3. Single claw prongs
4. Not a fan of pave, particularly dislikes micropave
5. Not big or blingy, should be unique and organic and earthy
6. Flowery with a touch of traditional
7. Low set with nothing that will catch on clothing
8. Not overly ornate or antiquey
9. Inspired by the style of MC2
10. Initially inquired about our Lily setting, said it was the closest to what he's looking for.
11. No concrete idea of what the ring should look like - just a list of other designers' rings he liked and a sense of the "feeling" he wants, but no other specific instructions or design elements - hoping we'll come up with something great and he'll love it when he sees it (no pressure, ha, ha!)

Design Challenges for JbEG:

1. Can't copy MC2, can be similar in feeling, but we won't copy their design elements (for example, fluted petals and the specific layout and proportions of their flared petal shanks).

2. Incorporate the pears in a way that still keeps the ring delicate. Petal size and proportions are dictated by the size of the center and side stones. Setting the side petals at 90 degree angles is the best combination of all elements while keeping the ring delicate, IMO. As soon as you flare petals of this size, you get a wider and chunkier face up look. The only way to reduce the size of the petals is to reduce the pears, or omit them. But pears were one of the few design elements Steve was quite certain about. How do we prioritize?

3. The time spent on this design is not insignificant. Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to redesign the ring to show it with pears, without pears using smaller flared petals, with 5 layered petals (both with and without pears), with cuffs and without cuffs, incorporating some GL-inspired vine overlay, with engraving, etc. just to see what it looks like. Any major structural changes to the design would constitute a design change and would be very time consuming, expensive and is outside the original scope of the project. As soon as you change one structural element of the design, it throws other elements out of whack and becomes a re-design. So how do we balance Steve's desire to see all of the possible options via CAD, while staying on budget and being effective with our time and resources?

At the end of the day, Steve must love the ring. At this stage, he's bothered that the petals don't show organically from the face up position - as I understand it, he wants the ring to look more like a flower. How can we accomplish this without violating MC2's IP?

Awhile back, we accidentally created a rendering of this ring with a halo around the sapphire (misunderstanding with our jeweler), which was beautiful and made the ring look like a flower, but Steve definitely wants the sapphire to stand alone, with no metal or diamonds around it. So adding anything around the sapphire is not an option.

Though I take great pride in our designs and love the concept we've created, I'm not above reaching out to all of the brilliant PS minds for suggestions on what we can do to get this design closer to what Steve's looking for. I'm left scratching my head and certainly don't want to push a design that he's not 100% in love with. Ideas?

v8-r1ACTUAL.jpg

v8-r2ACTUAKL.jpg

v8-r3ACTUAL.jpg

v8-r4ACTUAL.jpg

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I love all of the inspiration rings-- It seems like the ring would have more of a "flowery" appearance if the "Lily" design were used as more of an influence. It seems like- if the Lily design had a "petal" added where the split of the shank was, with a smaller pear than pictured in the CAD, the angle of all of the petals would be just right to create that blossoming flower-look.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Do you mean layered over the other two split shank petals instead of in between them? Steve's center stone is 6.4mm (from memory), so essentially what we've done is insert the pears in between the petals and then added prongs, which raises up the center stone a little, resulting in a different petal angle than the original Lily. But if we added a 3rd petal to each side, layered over the top of the split shank with the angles of the Lily petals...hmmmmm...we'd probably have to reduce the size of the pears or omit them. They are quite small as it is.

And what about the prongs and open basket in the current design? The Lily ring uses the petals as prongs, which is why they are able to flare out as much as they do without sticking out, if that makes sense (the Lily was also made for a larger center stone, so the angles are different), but then we are eliminating some of the contrasting white metal, and I feel like having 3 white metal elements ties it all together for Steve's ring.

Interesting idea!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium

ericad|1303249929|2900440 said:
Do you mean layered over the other two split shank petals instead of in between them? Steve's center stone is 6.4mm (from memory), so essentially what we've done is insert the pears in between the petals and then added prongs, which raises up the center stone a little, resulting in a different petal angle than the original Lily. But if we added a 3rd petal to each side, layered over the top of the split shank with the angles of the Lily petals...hmmmmm...we'd probably have to reduce the size of the pears or omit them. They are quite small as it is.

And what about the prongs and open basket in the current design? The Lily ring uses the petals as prongs, which is why they are able to flare out as much as they do without sticking out, if that makes sense (the Lily was also made for a larger center stone, so the angles are different), but then we are eliminating some of the contrasting white metal, and I feel like having 3 white metal elements ties it all together for Steve's ring.

Interesting idea!

Boy, there sure are a lot of very intricate details to consider!! I'm just looking at the pictures of "Lily".. so I'm not sure what is actually feasible with the design. Looking at the top view of Lily, I was picturing a pear sitting right in the crook of the split shank, with the rest of the bezel framing the top of the pear. Is it possible to make the "petals" just ever so slightly shorter to keep the ring low-set and use claws to connect petal to diamond (while maintaining the flare)?
The size of the pear would definitely have to be smaller that the current CAD-- again, I have no idea if all of this is even possible. If he pear was SUPER small.. would it be possible to bezel it completely in a contrasting- white metal?

Can't wait to see this ring!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

ericad|1303249929|2900440 said:

Interesting idea!

Agreed about the 3 white metal elements making the two-tone fit...

I love the April 6 cads(with the petals at 90 degrees), but as others have a problem with the pears/cuffs being too close... Could it be as simple as taking the April 6 cads and changing the pears to visually smaller rounds with white metal milgrained (or not) bezels? Placed like the Ruby ring on page 13 of this thread?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Steve, I honestly think that your ring is going to be beautiful. You've done so much wonderful work here. Don't get discouraged. I think you're letting a lot of opinions (including my own!) get your mind muddled. You know what they say about too many cooks... Our ideas are meant to be suggestions, not directives! We knew from the start that CADs would be much larger and clunkier than the ring itself. I do not think you're going to fall 100% in love with CADs (read this thread to get a realistic take on photographs and CADs - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-does-it-again-5-ct-spess-reset.143433/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-does-it-again-5-ct-spess-reset.143433/[/URL]). I think you will fall in love with the ring when you see it.

I prefer the first CAD for its relative sleekness and reduced catch-on-things-ness. I would trust Erica to produce the ring with the petal angles she thinks will look best. You've seen her work and chose her because you trust the aesthetic. If you let us micromanage by proxy, you'll just interfere with that.

That said, if you're having trouble making major but less structural decisions such as cuffs vs pears, you might want to photoshop out the cuffs or the pears. It's fairly easy to do. Perhaps Erica or someone on here can do it for you. It will NOT BE AN ACCURATE ACCOUNT OF WHAT THE CADs WILL LOOK LIKE, but it will give you a good starting idea so that you don't have pay for a bunch of new CADs. I can probably do it, but not today...

All in all, just go with your gut. Have a one-on-one heart-to-heart with Erica about what her gut is telling her.

Erica - Thank you for the information. I am actually somewhat ambivalent about vendors posting on project threads in which they have a hand. I see its strengths-- clarity, openness, they're reading them anyway and also its weakness-- it just feels a bit invasive, I like my fiction of PS being a private space where consumers can talk amongst themselves without a salesperson or designer chiming in. In this case, since Steve is so dedicated and having such a hard time moving forward, I am personally comfortable with it. Also, I think your humble attitude helps. I assume Steve has given you permission.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock
Getting close.

Yeah, Erica pretty much summed up what I'm thinking. I feel like we've been narrowing in on my ideal ring with each set of CADs, save for the last round. (And by "ideal" I don't mean perfect; I just mean a ring that my GF and I will really love for many years to come.) So if we "reset" to the previous CADs (April 6) that Erica just posted a life-size version of, then the only thing I've really got a problem with is the petals/leaves in the side profile. I look at them and see rounded chunks of metal. Some of that is surely due to the nature of CADs, and looking at a picture zoomed way in. But I'd really like to be (at least) OK with that aspect of the ring -- I don't have to absolutely love them -- before giving Erica the go ahead with construction.

As for having too many suggestions from PSers and flooding Erica with a bunch of ideas going in different directions... :) I think I've generally done a good job of filtering out all but the most relevant topics in my emails with Erica, that basically put into words what sort of things I'm looking for and feeling in my gut. This board is great for brainstorming ring designs, and I've gotten a ton of different approaches and designs to consider. Thanks again to everyone for all of your helpful suggestions and advice. It's tough for me because I can't really visualize what exactly I want it to look like; I just know I've seen examples that I really loved, and "I'll know it when I see it!"

I'm certainly not the most experienced or knowledgeable shopper of custom fine jewelry out there, but I do feel that Erica and I are on the same page, and we're really close to getting a final design for an awesome ring that my FF will love.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

v6-r2%20copy.jpg

So I'm not a master photoshopper, I just had some time to add some nonartsy "engraving" to the piece to maybe take away from what you see as "round chunks of metal". I know you've at least been toying with it, and didn't know if you had any visualization of it.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

Hi Steve,

this ring is going to be amazing!

What about adding engraving (and maybe milgrain) to just the petals, leaving the shank past the cuffs plain?

I think the whole thing is a little much, but just the petals would keep them from looking like "chunks of metal" and would give a little more organic feeling and movement to them...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Honestly? I don't really know why engraving keeps being brought up. I think that it completely goes against the Mc2 inspiration of clean lines and the organic feel. Brushed? Sure. Satin? Why not? Engraving? I wouldn't.

Steve, I'm going to remind you to think about a wedding band. Is she going to wear this with a band next to it? What color metal? Will it be custom too? Think about it. My ering (and others that have come after (I believe I have 16 now?)) was designed specifically based on what kind of wedding band I wanted to wear with it. The wedding band came first--out of the pieces of jewelry I was wearing, the wedding band was more important. She may not feel the same way, but on the other hand, she just might....

I'm still not a fan of the cuffs.

Sorry for all of the bluntness.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

I am 100% on the same page as Freke on all counts. Good call on the wedding band!

Like Freke, I am still not into the cuffs, but I *do* get the need for three elements to make the two-tone.

I also think having some contast between the shank and the petals might help...

What about taking some inspiration from Brightspot's ring:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/it-was-in-his-guitar-case.31577/
e-ring%20Image%202.jpg
file.jpg

Ignore the basket and halo and marquis-shapes and everything except the ring except the shank, which almost looks like three "stems" and the similarly stem-like cuff. Imagine a shank and cuffs (NO pave) like that, after the cuff, it turns into the petals. The three "stems" would flow into the three "petals" (the two on the side and the one with the pears). There is still a cuff (which can be white), but it's a lot more minimal.

You wouldn't want TOO much contrast such that the "stems" looked "wiry," though... More organic, the way JKT's more "wiry" pieces look.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1303343331|2901351 said:
Steve, I'm going to remind you to think about a wedding band. Is she going to wear this with a band next to it? What color metal? Will it be custom too? Think about it. My ering (and others that have come after (I believe I have 16 now?)) was designed specifically based on what kind of wedding band I wanted to wear with it. The wedding band came first--out of the pieces of jewelry I was wearing, the wedding band was more important. She may not feel the same way, but on the other hand, she just might....

Yes, she'll wear a wedding band, most likely gold. Yes, I assume she'll wear it next to her engagement ring. No, probably not a custom wedding band; probably a plain gold band if I had to guess.

These are smart things to consider, though. It's just that my GF has minimal interest in any of this, so when it comes time to choose a wedding band I don't really see her suddenly getting excited about custom jewelry. If it were her choice, she would have proposed to me, it would have been months/years ago, and there wouldn't even be an engagement ring. :)

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Well, all the more reason to start making some decisions and stop keeping your GF and us ;-) jkjk in suspense!

But do talk to Erica (and maybe your fiance) about the wedding band. You're probably going to have to do something custom if you want it to sit flush. Some girls hate "the gap" and some girls hate the curved or knotched wedding band necessary to avoid the gap.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

I discussed the wedding band fit with Erica, and she said we're good - a regular ol' wedding band should sit almost flush. She said the Lily, which my ring is sort of based off of, fits with a wedding band just fine:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Lily-Split-Shank/12795589_XX3pg#903519131_QBDGr

I asked her for the side angle view for the April 6 ("v6") CADs, since this is the view that helps me see all aspects of the ring the most (along with the top down one).

As for where to go next, I've spent the last few weeks re-reading posts, looking at GreenLake rings, and I think I've got one last idea. I like the v6 ring (pictured above) a lot; the only thing which is bothering me a little is how plain and lifeless the side profile petals look. To that end, I am considering having Erica do one last set of CADs, with some sort of curl at the end of the petal.

The idea came to me from Bella Mezzo's fleur-de-lis suggestion. I like the fact that the petals have a swirl at the end. Here are a few examples from The Julia:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Solitaire-Featuring/15900041_GjnLu#1192337732_eCvy8-A-LB

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/Judys-Modified-Julia-Solitaire/12794843_ErGJ2#922324246_HrusP-A-LB

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Bezel-Solitaire/13197667_TCNNx#994927120_EJAnZ-A-LB

It wouldn't be exactly like those, and the jeweler would have to figure out how best to incorporate it into my setting, but what do you think? Worthwhile pursuing? Or taking the ring in the wrong direction?

After exploring this one final idea (or if I don't do it), I'm going to be done with the ring design, and I'll have her start construction on it. In my mind I've considered every possible idea for improving on what I've got, and none really work for me, save perhaps something a curl at the end of the side profile petals.

v6-r6.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve/Erica

Is it not possible to cleave the side petals? I think the issue is that they are too solid and look bulky. If they are cleaved down the middle and the two sides are pointed off slightly, less rounded ends, that wouldn't affect the pears???? It would also give more access to the side view of the sapphire that is currently obscured.

I hope that helps. So much time and thought has gone into this ring that I'm sure the future MrsSteveNeedsARing is going to be a very lucky woman.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think LG is onto something. I think that the bottom petals are pretty bulky (in the CADs) and kind of dominate and almost obstruct the profile view.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

LovingDiamonds|1305407841|2921934 said:
Is it not possible to cleave the side petals? I think the issue is that they are too solid and look bulky. If they are cleaved down the middle and the two sides are pointed off slightly, less rounded ends, that wouldn't affect the pears???? It would also give more access to the side view of the sapphire that is currently obscured.

LD, what do you mean by "cleaved"? Do you mean the tip of the petal would be split in two, and the two ends would curl away from each other a little bit? Would the two tips be pointy? And how far down would the split go?

I have a vague sense of what you are describing, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. I can certainly suggest it to Erica, but since CADs take so much time and effort to produce, I want to be as sure of the idea as possible beforehand.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Hey Steve - I just saw this and didn't want to leave your last post hanging! I think, unfortunately, that you're just going to have to make this last round of decisions yourself, with Erica's input. I think at this point, you're getting bogged down in details and it's time to pull the trigger. My suggestion would be to ask Erica what she thinks the best design iteration is and just go for it.

I know it's a pretty decent chunk of change, but I guarantee the setting is less expensive than what a lot of people spend on a MacBookPro every couple of years, so the stones are not set in stone, so to speak.

I know you want it to be perfect, but your girlfriend is going to be thrilled thrilled THRILLED no matter what. I'm sure she's getting impatient. Take a swing by the Ladies in Waiting forum and you'll see how much more important the *engagement* is to most women-in-love than the *engagement ring*.

Plus, your ring is going to be beautiful-- the sparkly diamonds and the rich, gorgeous sapphire alone would ensure that. JBeG does great work and the setting is very creative and is going to be much more delicate in real life than in CADs or even in photos.

We are all really excited to see what you come up with!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

velouriaL|1306221869|2928935 said:
Hey Steve - I just saw this and didn't want to leave your last post hanging! I think, unfortunately, that you're just going to have to make this last round of decisions yourself, with Erica's input. I think at this point, you're getting bogged down in details and it's time to pull the trigger. My suggestion would be to ask Erica what she thinks the best design iteration is and just go for it.

I know it's a pretty decent chunk of change, but I guarantee the setting is less expensive than what a lot of people spend on a MacBookPro every couple of years, so the stones are not set in stone, so to speak.

I know you want it to be perfect, but your girlfriend is going to be thrilled thrilled THRILLED no matter what. I'm sure she's getting impatient. Take a swing by the Ladies in Waiting forum and you'll see how much more important the *engagement* is to most women-in-love than the *engagement ring*.

Plus, your ring is going to be beautiful-- the sparkly diamonds and the rich, gorgeous sapphire alone would ensure that. JBeG does great work and the setting is very creative and is going to be much more delicate in real life than in CADs or even in photos.

I was thinking the same thing! Go for it!

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LovingDiamonds|1305407841|2921934 said:
Steve/Erica

I hope that helps. So much time and thought has gone into this ring that I'm sure the future MrsSteveNeedsARing is going to be a very lucky woman.

I like LD's suggestion. I, too, feel that the current petals seem rather thick and overwhelm the profile view. Engraving is out for me too as it becomes too busy and interferes with the smooth feel of the design.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

loriken214|1306223693|2928940 said:
velouriaL|1306221869|2928935 said:

I was thinking the same thing! Go for it!

Lori

Ironically, that's what I just did on Friday. Called Erica, discussed the options, and decided to pull the trigger on the v6 (April 6) CADs. I'll post pics on here when I get the ring, but in the meantime I've got some proposal planning to do.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions! Sorry this dragged on for so long... I guess I was too much of a perfectionist for my own good. ;-)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

it's going to to be gorgeous!!!! can't wait to see the finished version!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1306241644|2929018 said:
Ironically, that's what I just did on Friday. Called Erica, discussed the options, and decided to pull the trigger on the v6 (April 6) CADs. I'll post pics on here when I get the ring, but in the meantime I've got some proposal planning to do.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions! Sorry this dragged on for so long... I guess I was too much of a perfectionist for my own good. ;-)

I've followed this thread with interest (even though I never posted) and I'm pleased to see that you've found a setting that meets your expectations. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the actual ring.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock

Hi Steve! I've read this entire thread, but not posted til now.

The April 6th CADs were my favorite! Either way, it is going to be a beautiful ring and I am sure she will love it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it will be lovely and delicate. When you account for the 20% extra in CADs, I suspect that the leaves on the sides will end up being more refined that they appear, not to mention the smaller scale on the hand.

Can`t wait to see the end result!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1306427065|2930871 said:
I think it will be lovely and delicate. When you account for the 20% extra in CADs, I suspect that the leaves on the sides will end up being more refined that they appear, not to mention the smaller scale on the hand.

Can`t wait to see the end result!

I can't wait to see it, too! So excited that you've put in your order and are moving towards the proposal. I'm sure you will love whatever JbEG end up making for you and your girlfriend!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Can't wait to see it! Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results