shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

I think the cuffs can add interest if done the right way, including the placement. The cuffs look a little large in terms of proportions as if it wants a bit of diamond accent within. Since you are clearly not going that route, I think the cuffs can be made a little smaller. The profile view seems rather empty given that the petal part is fairly large. Some engraving or some sort of fitting organic design might suit it better.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Very nice design. I think some engraving & millegraining would finish off the petals nicely. I like the cuffs but agree they should be a bit smaller and I don't think I'd put a knife edge on them regardless of what you do to the lower part of the band. I'd ask your gf how she feels about a knife edged band. Personally I find them uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

overall, it is a lovely design! I agree with the previous posters on a few things though...

make sure she likes 2 tone. some girls do, some do not!

to me, the cuffs are way too big.

I would also change the shank to rounded (not knife-edge)

I agree that the basket looks pretty plain. engraving on the petal part could look really nice. I love the basket on the gabbie and sophie rings but I think what is bothering my eye is that the basket has that straight bar and then the curved petals meet it. Have you considered eliminating the bar (or is this a no-no with sapphires?) If not I would add something like the baskets you posted

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock

oh its coming together so well. I really like the idea of doing a brushed finish on the yellow gold. I think to make it flow more organically you should see if you can somehow continue the petals down the shank, or at lest the lines. I think somebody already posted a picture of this. I am not the biggest fan of the cuffs because I think they clash with the organic feel you are going for. Also the petals meet at almost right angles and I think this detracts from the organic look...I mean how many flowers do you see with petals meeting at right angles? Maybe if you made the petals a little smaller so they met at 120 degrees or something. I hope this makes sense :) I really like the basket of the rose gold ring, but is there anyway the bar could be incorporated into the design, may to look like a vine or something?

I cant wait to see the finished product :)

ETA: this picture was pretty much what i was trying to describe with the petals and shank :)

mcteige_mcclelland_1016c_ring_xl.jpg

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Poor Erica and Grace usually only have to deal with one pricescoper's opinions, this must be a tough one for them :lol:

I second the idea of no knife edge/ the lines following the flow of the petals.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Good thing, ultimately, she only has to *please* one PSer!

And all this tweaking is the beauty of CAD, isn't it?

Just wanted to say that I just saw the CAD on my better monitor, and it really does look awesome! Totally stand by my minor tweak suggestions, still, but I think the ring is going to look great no matter what. Let us not forget how TINY this piece of jewelry is actually going to be, plus CADs always look a bit clunkier than the real deal.

Also, I think Future Mrs. Williamson has some particularly good concrete suggestions for what I meant by "united forms"

What is the difference between matte gold and brushed gold?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

While it is ultimately Steve's decision, extra sets of eyes and ideas are always good. I started threads on my own 2 settings (CADs) from Whiteflash for input. I was open to ideas and there were elements that I agreed with and some I did not agree with. There were also little details which I missed, tweaked and then implemented to my satisfaction. These are not a reflection of the quality of work done by JBEG, WF or whoever the vendor is. This is customer service where they are willing to listen and work with the customer so that the end result will be loved by the reciepient.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: So glad that you updated this!!! I agree with either significantly thinning or eliminating the "cuffs", using a more organic basket (pr no basket at all like the Julia--that would actually be my fave, if the "petals" could hold the stone), and then thinning the petals a little and engraving them.

This is going to be one gorgeous ring!

and I love the idea of brushed finish on the yellow gold as long as she likes 2 tone.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

More CADs!

Erica and I have been emailing back and forth since she sent the first set of CADs 2-3 weeks ago. She explained what a milgrain would look like, and even sent CADs of a halo (that her jeweler created by accident), but I wasn't crazy about it and that's not the direction I want to go with this ring, so I didn't post them here. Here's what I ended up asking her to change from the initial CADs, based on my own opinions and lots of great feedback from you guys :D :

1. brushed gold
  2. smaller cuffs
  3. rounded shank (not knife-edge)
  4. basket: engraving on the petal part, and maybe eliminate the bar (if that's ok to do with a sapphire) or incorporate the bar into the design more (maybe make it look like a vine)
  5. continue the petals down the shank, or at least the lines of the petals
  6. change petals them so they don't meet at a right angles; maybe make them smaller and meet at ~120 degrees
  7. more flowery like green lake rings

I also told her I'm OK with getting rid of the basket and/or cuffs, but I think the cuffs really "make" the green Mc&Mc ring that I'm using as a basis, so I'm a little hesitant to get rid of them.

Some of my ideas she incorporated into the ring, but others she explained wouldn't work for various reasons (e.g. making the cuffs too narrow, or trying to emulate both GL and M&M in the same ring, since they are so very different). Her jeweler is still working on a "leaf motif" basket design, so I can compare that to the open pavilion (is that what you call the absence of a basket?) shown below.

As you can see, she switched to brushed gold for the whole shank and removed the knife edge, rounded out the cuffs and added pave to them, extended the lines of the petals down the shank, and removed the basket. I definitely like this better than the first CADs. What do you guys think about the cuffs now (like 'em any better with pave?), and how about the lack of a basket?

v6-r1.jpg

v6-r2.jpg

v6-r3.jpg

v6-r4.jpg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

and 1 more, cause there's a 4 attachment limit to posts:

v6-r5.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you have to have claws ????
(or if it's just because it's CAD, then hopefully the prongs are
fashioned differently on the real ring, I find the claws very distracting.....
)

E B

Ideal_Rock

I think it looks great, Steve! I don't know that I (personally) would change anything about this last round of CADs. Interested to hear what others think. :bigsmile:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh I LOVE it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

coming together beautifully, steve!

MoZo

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous. I especially love how the leaves look from below. I know this was mentioned earlier, but I'd be very sure of where the cuffs hit, especially now that they have pave (which looks great). Good work!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love this most recent CAD design! Adore the pave on the cuffs. I wonder, when the ring is worn, I think the cuffs will be between the fingers... would that be best? I can't envision it, but give it some thought.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love this series of CADs - it's all coming together so nicely!

For myself, I really like the claw prongs; if I made any changes, I would see if the cuffs could be moved up a little, and I would be interested to see whether a fine milgrain edge lining the cuffs and around the pear-shaped diamonds might be complementary to the design.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

I love that latest round of CADs. I think the ring looks great!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Love this! It's amazing!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

ooo~Shiney!|1302142983|2889808 said:
)

Nope, I'm not "wedded" to the claws... ;-) I am open to other options. But I like the way they look in other rings I've seen (a couple of the Mc&Mc rings come to mind), so I suggested to Erica that we include them here. At least they're not double claws! :)

I replied to Erica asking about moving the cuffs up, cause I can definitely see how it would be uncomfortable to have something rubbing between your fingers. I'll let you know what she says.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1302215249|2890557 said:
)

Nope, I'm not "wedded" to the claws... ;-) I am open to other options. But I like the way they look in other rings I've seen (a couple of the Mc&Mc rings come to mind), so I suggested to Erica that we include them here. At least they're not double claws! :)

I replied to Erica asking about moving the cuffs up, cause I can definitely see how it would be uncomfortable to have something rubbing between your fingers. I'll let you know what she says.

HeeHee !
I guess it's just my own personal take, since most everyone seems to like the
ring as - is :sun:

I'm looking at it like: Here is a nice smooth looking, rounded looking, brushed metal looking,
almost tranquil looking setting with a blue-sky-at-twilight looking round sapphire,
and now for the piece-de-resistance.....
These claws / "fangs" are going to stick out and PINCH / BITE YOU...... :lol:
to my eye, it just doesn't "go".......
sorry

(keeping in mind that everything is very very small, so it is prob a non-issue anyway....)

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

This looks awesome! Very, very exciting! It is really coming together spectacularly! I especially love the brushed gold and the relationship of the petals to the pears.

Did you check in with your GF on the two-tone thing? Please, please, please do that. Just for my peace of mind. ;-)

I pretty much like the ring as is, but if I were to do some tweaking, it would mostly be to simplify the design. It's kind of like the old adage about style-- get all dressed up and then remove one accessory or piece of jewelry. Less is usually more.

I'd say to get rid of the basket all together, as in the original Lily. Otherwise, I like the bar-free simple basket and would probably go for it over a more ornate one. I actually think that if you keep the basket skinny claw prongs will be less distracting than other larger prong styles, so they don't bother me.

I'm still not sold on the cuffs. Seems like you want side diamonds OR cuffs but not both. The pears are going to be very sparkly and distracting (not necessarily in a bad way!) all on their own. You say that they make the Mc2 ring, but that ring doesn't have sidestones.

If you want to keep the cuffs, I'd more them closer to the side diamonds so that they look more integrated. Perhaps ask the that the split of the petals continue just past the pears, then have the cuffs right there, as if "cinching" the split together. The key to good design, I think, is to have every element have a kind of logic.

I'm not a fan of engraving or millegrain for this, just because I want to keep the whole thing fluid and organic looking.

tefutefu

Rough_Rock

I love the new CADs! :love:
I wasn't a fan of the cuffs at first but they look so much better now!
As much as I love claw prongs, I do feel the claws should be smaller though?

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

I'm in the claw camp. You need to keep the basket! and skinny claw prongs will be less distracting that other prongs IMHO. I think the simple open basket might be best.

I really like the combination of the cuffs/pears/basket being white metal and the rest being brushed gold. More or less and the white metal would look out of place.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

velouriaL|1302226740|2890735 said:
Did you check in with your GF on the two-tone thing? Please, please, please do that. Just for my peace of mind. ;-)
OK, I finally caved and asked her -- she's cool with it.

I pretty much like the ring as is, but if I were to do some tweaking, it would mostly be to simplify the design. It's kind of like the old adage about style-- get all dressed up and then remove one accessory or piece of jewelry. Less is usually more.

I'd say to get rid of the basket all together, as in the original Lily. Otherwise, I like the bar-free simple basket and would probably go for it over a more ornate one. I actually think that if you keep the basket skinny claw prongs will be less distracting than other larger prong styles, so they don't bother me.
Get rid of the basket? I thought that's what I did?!! All that's left are the 4 platinum prongs holding the sapphire, and the points where the petals touch the the prongs.

I'm still not sold on the cuffs. Seems like you want side diamonds OR cuffs but not both. The pears are going to be very sparkly and distracting (not necessarily in a bad way!) all on their own. You say that they make the Mc2 ring, but that ring doesn't have sidestones.
Well, that's a good point. I like those 2 Mc2 rings a lot; one has cuffs and the other has pear side stones. So I combined those design elements! But maybe it's too much?

If you want to keep the cuffs, I'd move them closer to the side diamonds so that they look more integrated. Perhaps ask the that the split of the petals continue just past the pears, then have the cuffs right there, as if "cinching" the split together. The key to good design, I think, is to have every element have a kind of logic.
Yeah, I like that idea a lot, so they look more like the M&M petals. I'll suggest it to Erica and see what she says.

EDIT: Here's an example of cuffs cinching the petals; I want my petals to look more like THESE petals:

MCII507_21r2.sized.jpg

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock

oh its so pretty! I really like the brushed gold and the petal lines on the shank. I agree with the other posters about the claw prongs. I took a look at the original cads and i like the original prongs better than the new ones. I am still not totally sold on the cuffs, but they look much better this time...I mean what isn't better covered in diamonds :naughty:
I like the ring with out the basket I just worry about damaging the stone, but it looks really good. Another option for the basket: you could extend the side petals a bit to give a little more protection to the stone but still avoid the basket look.

I can't wait to see the final ring it is going to look amazing!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, velourialL, I want you on my design team for my next ring! Your suggestions are excellent!

Steve, I agree with the concern about the cuffs and love the new MC2 pic you posted, where the cuffs are really integrated - almost like the opening of the vase from which the flower, petals and all, is flowing out. I do agree that the diamond cuffs, even if you were to split the petals and move the cuffs up so that the petals appear to be rising out of the cuffs, may be distracting because you have the two beautiful pear side diamonds. What if you had the cuffs there to anchor the design but without diamonds?

Also, I know cads make things look industrial, but as is it does look a little sterile, so carrying the pedals down and splitting them would make it a bit more organic and softer. I think someone else mentioned possible engraving or milgrain as another method to soften the design.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

ooo~Shiney!|1302219262|2890611 said:
SteveNeedsARing|1302215249|2890557 said:
)

HeeHee !

I'm looking at it like: Here is a nice smooth looking, rounded looking, brushed metal looking,
almost tranquil looking setting with a blue-sky-at-twilight looking round sapphire,
sorry

(keeping in mind that everything is very very small, so it is prob a non-issue anyway....)

I totally agree and I know we're in the minority, but I would love to see small rounded prongs instead of claws. Maybe even heart prongs (and I'm totally not a heart person, but I think it might work with the leaf shapes).

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

jstarfireb|1302377253|2892099 said:
ooo~Shiney!|1302219262|2890611 said:
HeeHee !

sorry

I totally agree and I know we're in the minority, but I would love to see small rounded prongs instead of claws. Maybe even heart prongs (and I'm totally not a heart person, but I think it might work with the leaf shapes).

Well, maybe you're right. I honestly haven't looked much at different prong types in my ring research, so I don't have a very good idea for what other kinds of prong types are out there besides (single and double) claws. Do you have any rings in mind that you could post a link to, which demonstrate what you're talking about?

I like claws, but I also don't want them to look too "fangy" or like they belong on a gargoyle statue instead. Then there's a part of me that thinks the prongs will be so tiny IRL, that I/she won't even be able to tell the difference! :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1302384252|2892160 said:
Well, maybe you're right. I honestly haven't looked much at different prong types in my ring research, so I don't have a very good idea for what other kinds of prong types are out there besides (single and double) claws. Do you have any rings in mind that you could post a link to, which demonstrate what you're talking about?

I like claws, but I also don't want them to look too "fangy" or like they belong on a gargoyle statue instead. Then there's a part of me that thinks the prongs will be so tiny IRL, that I/she won't even be able to tell the difference! :)
For the record I can hardly tell what most of my prongs look like--the only ones I can tell (without very close scrutiny) are the two on a 4+ and 7+ carat topaz necklace. So I say stick with claws.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results