shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold vs. Platinum FINISH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I posted this in the gold thread, as it''s come to be known, so if any gold enthusiasts would like to comment that would be great! BTW, I know gold vs. platinum has been asked 1,000 times, so I apologize for that, my question narrows the question down to the long term durability of the finish. Thanks for understand and for any comments and help!

"I''m buying a solid band that''s available in 18kt gold and platinum. The platinum alloy is ruthenium. They''re both the same quality ring, the same ring, as I said.

I have gone back and forth about whether I like gold or not, whether I want gold or not, and whether I want platinum or not.

I can choose ONE.

So, gold and jewelry experts, my question is what do you think of the FINISH of gold vs. platinum?

I want to know what the ring is going to look like in 5+ years and how much am I going to be able to bring it back as closely as possible to its original finish.

I want to run my current thinking by you and please tell me what you think.

I''m concerned that since platinum develops a patina (the molecules being moved around instead of worn off) if I get platinum, it''s going to a) not shine and then b) I''ll have to have someone polish it- and I wonder if polishing it will move the molecules around so that the shape of the original ring doesn''t stay, if that makes sense.

I''m thinking that a) gold holds its finish better and b) I could polish it myself.

My #1 concern in choosing between them is the finish. Long story short, I don''t like scratches (yes, I know everything scratches), and over a period of time, I don''t want the ring to not shine. That is the thing I think is more important to me (more important than weight, more important than the choice of yellow or white).

I''ve thought about this a lot to narrow it down this far. But I have to make a decision.
40.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like to me that gold is more suitable for you, just from what you've said.

I am of the opinion that people should only go for plat if they really like it.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I haven't been able to make up my mind.
38.gif

I am leaning toward gold- now- but I've changed my mind many times.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 5:18:48 AM
Author: Imdanny
Thanks. I haven''t been able to make up my mind.
38.gif

I am leaning toward gold- now- but I''ve changed my mind many times.
I hear ya - why do you think I have so many pieces in two tone?
2.gif

Do you have a pic of the piece?

Honestly, reading your comments I just got the feeling you don''t really "dig" plat,
and may actually end up disliking the patina...?
I''m sorry I can''t answer your specific questions - I will own my first plat. piece in about a week,
but don''t have anything yet..
I def. think its more attractive, teh point of being able to polish it yourself rather than pay someone.

I hope you get some more input from those with platinum pieces
1.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!
1.gif

It will be one of these pieces.

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP00364&mcat=148204&cid=288152&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+288152-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP00363&mcat=148204&cid=288152&search_params=s+5-p+3-c+288152-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 6:27:48 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date:

Honestly, reading your comments I just got the feeling you don't really 'dig' plat,

That's what I don't know. I like the color of it a lot a whole lot, I like the weight of it a whole lot, I like to hold it in my hand and feel the weight- that's all good. What I don't know is if it's going to patina and then I'm going to not like the patina or dislike the fact it doesn't shine.
40.gif

Honestly, I've seen (I mean in real life) a platinum ring that looked great, and I saw one that looked dull and banged up. They didn't look anything like each other. The reason I knew the second one was platinum was I guessed. It was a doctor wearing it. It was a doctor wearing the first ring. So it made sense it was platinum (and the doctor confirmed it). But the first doctor's ring and the second's ring weren't in the same league. I wouldn't want to end up with a ring that looked like the second one.
32.gif

I see a lot of platinum rings at pricescope, but that doesn't tell me how many years they've been worn (most of them are brand new) or how the people who have them wear them. For all I know, I like platinum better than gold, but I might not like the way it wears. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
1.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont have platinum, but I can tell you that yellow gold will scratch but it will stay shiney, I have rings that are 25 years old and they are still shiny and when I use a polishing cloth on them they even shiner
2.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Everything will develop a patina through use. Platinum will develop it faster than (some) white gold, because it''s a little softer and it won''t be replated regularly (with a pretty hard layer of rhodium).

If you like things to stay shiny but like the weight/feel, you can always rhodium-plate platinum...

In terms of bringing things back to their original finish, you can repolish platinum quickly and with minimal loss (especially if the scratching/pitting is minor), whereas white gold may resist scratches more but when it gets one there may be metal chipping away. In addition, independent of scratches, much WG will require replating anyway - which is cheap(ish) and quick, but it''s a pain in the neck.

Um - coin toss?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He''s choosing between yellow gold and platinum.

I think plat./ruth. is going to stay shinier than most of the plat/iridium we see today because it is harder. But I also think a lot has to do with how careful you are with the ring. I have plat./ruth. rings that are over a year old, and they are not gray yet at all, whereas I saw my SIL''s rings (plat./irid.) a few months after she got hers and they were already gray.

If I were you, I''d get some kind of titanium ring just to wear when doing stuff that might cause wear to the ring and wear the platinum or gold one when there will be less wear and tear. I don''t think it is that big of a deal to have a platinum ring polished very couple of years, though. But I''d choose based on the color metal you like best.

Oh, and I personally think 3mm is a little too narrow for a man''s ring. I remember that sna77 started out with one of the narrower Tiffany rings and later bought a wider one after the wedding. So just be sure you try them on before you decide.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, diamonseeker! Yeah, I know. 3 mm is not wide for men''s rings, but it''s the standard size for men in Europe. That''s my story and I''m sticking to it.
9.gif

I think you''re right. I think (and this is why I put it in my OP) the ruthenium makes a big difference.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 5:14:54 AM
Author: arjunajan

Hi again! Can you expand on this please? Do you mean because of the added expensive of platinum,because it''s not necessary to have platinum, or some other reason? I have a similar feeling, which is: "why does EVERYONE (you know what I mean- almost everyone) have to have platinum?"
When I grew up NOBODY had platinum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband still wears his yellow gold band. And the British royals do, too! Gold is always classic for wedding bands. The only reason to get platinum is if you want white metal. And in that case, I wouldn''t want to deal with plating wg, and I also wouldn''t want the softer 95plat/5iridium either. So I''d go with the plat/ruth.

What is your coloring like? Do you wear a watch..what metal is it?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My coloring? I guess "medium." My grandmother had very fair skin. My skin isn't like that, but it's not very dark, either.

I wear a watch-- but it's black plastic.
6.gif
Watches I've had in the past have been stainless steel.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like 900/100 Pt/Ir. It is bright white and very strong and hard when hand worked.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 9:12:04 PM

Date: 4/8/2009 5:14:54 AM
Author: arjunajan

Hi again! Can you expand on this please? Do you mean because of the added expensive of platinum,because it's not necessary to have platinum, or some other reason? I have a similar feeling, which is: 'why does EVERYONE (you know what I mean- almost everyone) have to have platinum?'
When I grew up NOBODY had platinum.
Hey again,
yes exactly as you put it - due to the added expense, I feel it is just like any other "luxury" product, if you kwim.
If you don't love Verrsace clothes, why would you buy them? If you don't love something or everything about plat. I don't really
see the point..
I do think it has become "the thing to have" - like designer clothes - maybe not a trend, but def. close to..

I think we have a similiar view point re the highlighted, as not many people really have plat. in Australia - it is only just catching on really.

This by no means translates to me judging those who choose plat. I think its a prestigious metal and I understand
many jewellers love to work in it.

hth a little
5.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes, thanks!
1.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll take a picture of DW''s Tiffany Etoile band. It''s Pt/Ru and it''s been worn pretty much every day since early 2001 - never repolished, since we both love patina. This may give you an idea of what happens over the long term.

HTH

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Pic 1 - Good view of patina, but it looks a lot better in natural size - to give you an idea, look at my reflection in the ring... (it''s still fairly recognisable, given the ring is about 3mm and curved)

Plat Ring 1.JPG

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Same - straight on

Plat Ring 2.jpg

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Side view showing original polished surface inside with direct flash

Plat Ring 3.jpg

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Same in more diffused light

Plat Ring 4.JPG

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
They're both gonna have drawbacks. The platinum will patina faster (though the ruth. makes a difference with that), but polish back to mint condition without losing any metal. The gold will maintain its polish for a longer period, but lose metal when you do take it to be polished.

If you like a mirror-like high polish look, you're going to have to get either one polished. It really is not a big deal, many jewelers can do it while you wait.

So with that said, go try on both, and pick the one you like - simple as that. It doesn't have to be this hard, and we certainly can't pick for you.

Side note: do you share your username with your girlfriend/fiance/wife? I originally assumed you were male, then I got the strong impression from another thread that you were female (don't remember where or how, just remember thinking it), and now I see that that was wrong.... so I thought that maybe there's a woman also posting on your acct. Just wondering!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 8:02:07 AM
Honestly, I''ve seen (I mean in real life) a platinum ring that looked great, and I saw one that looked dull and banged up. They didn''t look anything like each other. The reason I knew the second one was platinum was I guessed. It was a doctor wearing it. It was a doctor wearing the first ring. So it made sense it was platinum (and the doctor confirmed it). But the first doctor''s ring and the second''s ring weren''t in the same league. I wouldn''t want to end up with a ring that looked like the second one.
32.gif

I see a lot of platinum rings at pricescope, but that doesn''t tell me how many years they''ve been worn (most of them are brand new) or how the people who have them wear them. For all I know, I like platinum better than gold, but I might not like the way it wears. That''s what I''m trying to figure out.
1.gif
More than likely, one had recently been polished (or was newer) and the other hadn''t for years.

There are threads that show comparison pics of new vs. old platinum, you might be able to find them.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
oldmancoyote, thank you! This gives me a lot to think about! Very helpful!

Musey, thank you for your posts! LOL! I thought you were a man once but now I see that you are not! Then I thought maybe you were letting your girlfriend use your computer. I see that I was wrong. I apologize for any misunderstanding.
9.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 9:15:13 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
I'll take a picture of DW's Tiffany Etoile band. It's Pt/Ru and it's been worn pretty much every day since early 2001 - never repolished, since we both love patina.
HTH
Beautiful ring, BTW. Congratulations to her!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 6:17:33 PM
Musey, thank you for your posts! LOL! I thought you were a man once but now I see that you are not! Then I thought maybe you were letting your girlfriend use your computer. I see that I was wrong. I apologize for any misunderstanding.
9.gif
Wait, what? That's odd. I'm not sure whether you are being serious, or sarcastic because you took offense to my post.
33.gif
For the record, I intended no offense.

ETA: This is the thread that made me assume you were female: Is yellow gold under-appreciated?

Date: 2/13/2009 11:47:36 AM
Author:Imdanny
My SO is buying the ring and wants platinum, but has told me I can have whichever one I want. He doesn't want what he calls 'a milled ring.' He thinks he would rather substitute metals than do that (yet he doesn't like gold). He's also said I could try a platinum milled ring because it is completely refundable (but he doesn't like the idea). To be honest, I don't want two rings, I don't want a ring with both metals, but one choice means giving up the other. There is the factor that $575, in these economic times, is better (to my mind) than spending $1050. But I want him to be happy too.
Date: 2/14/2009 4:37:23 AM
You know, I would just go with gold, and forget about it, but how do I get him to change his mind? Or do you think I could go with his offer of 'it's your ring, you choose' even though I don't think he means it and wants platinum?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 6:43:20 PM
Author: musey

9.gif

Wait, what? That's odd. I'm not sure whether you are being serious, or sarcastic because you took offense to my post.
33.gif
I'm being facetious-- meaning-- I took no offense. I was only joking because I thought your comments were funny! Are we OK now?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 6:47:32 PM
9.gif
33.gif
I'm being facetious-- meaning-- I took no offense. I was only joking because I thought your comments were funny! Are OK now?
I don't get it. Sounds like culture clash
shrug1.gif
Regardless, glad there was no offense.

Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 6:49:44 PM

9.gif
Wait, what? That''s odd. I''m not sure whether you are being serious, or sarcastic because you took offense to my post.
33.gif
I''m being facetious-- meaning-- I took no offense. I was only joking because I thought your comments were funny! Are OK now?
I don''t get it. Sounds like culture clash
shrug1.gif

Good luck!
Musey, oddly, I recall similar confusion, but then it occurred to me that perhaps Imdanny is male and his partner is male. If so, that should clear things up!
1.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 9:38:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 4/9/2009 6:49:44 PM

9.gif

33.gif

I'm being facetious-- meaning-- I took no offense. I was only joking because I thought your comments were funny! Are OK now?

I don't get it. Sounds like culture clash
shrug1.gif

Good luck!

Musey, oddly, I recall similar confusion, but then it occurred to me that perhaps Imdanny is male and his partner is male. If so, that should clear things up!
1.gif
We have a winner! Thanks, Diamondseeker. I had a feeling earlier in this thread that you knew that, and I appreciate that. I apologize to anyone who was confused. I certainly didn't mean to confuse anyone. I just didn't have any reason to go into it (although now I see that I did go into it). If I'm going to cause confusion, then by all means I shouldn't, and I have no problem with that. Sometimes I don't give out personal information, but lying isn't my style. Wow, I'm glad we got that cleared up!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results