shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold vs. Platinum FINISH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! It's like Musey said, it's down to the fact that I have to make a decision. I'll take pictures of it when I get it. Until then, I'll let you all guess (and that's easy to do, since I haven't decided- LOL). I appreciate the help I've received here. Thanks, again!
1.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 6:19:15 PM
Author: Imdanny

Beautiful ring, BTW. Congratulations to her!
Thanks - and I''m glad to be of help.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, guys (and gals)! I have spent a long time reading (and actually studying) this thread and I have learned a lot. I have absolutely nothing to contribute. On the contrary, I am making a mental of where to find information on platinum and white gold should I ever need it myself!

I really know very little about the difference between the two metals and about when either is plated in the making of jewelry. (I thought that platinum was harder than gold, but I think I read her that it is softer!)* That does not mean that I do not own platinum jewelry, because I do. I assume that I own some white gold, too. And my mother wore a white gold wedding band for most of her married life (which was 66 years), losing it just towards the very end, so I saw how that looked!

When I think of "patina", however, I think of my sterling silver flatware! I never thought of jewelry as having a patina. Oldmancoyote has given me a new perspective!

I am sorry to have so little to contribute, but thank you for including me!

*Yes. Oldmancoyote wrote, "Everything will develop a patina through use. Platinum will develop it faster than (some) white gold, because it's a little softer and it won't be replated regularly (with a pretty hard layer of rhodium)."

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oldmancoyote- I, also, love your wife''s ring. The metal is simply beautiful!

AGBF
34.gif

oldmancoyotewifesring.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deb!

A lot of people like the look of patina on platinum- and to everyone who does- I say great!

I've chosen 18kt yellow gold. I like the color, the warmth, the shine, and the fact that I can maintain it myself. Yes, I know that there are people who can be trusted to polish platinum. I just want to be able to do it myself (polish my gold ring, and I can). I used to own expensive watches, I guess my nicest watch was a JLC, and I never once sent it for service that something unexpected wasn't damaged when I got the watch back (NOT saying this would happen with a platinum ring). I'm just saying when I get it I have an IRRATIONAL fear of letting anyone else have it, I don't want to leave it anywhere, I don't want to send it anywhere, I don't want to rely on anyone but myself to take care of it.

But the two metals, platinum and gold, are interesting. Platinum has a different molecular structure, and that results in its molecules moving around instead of rubbing off, and this affects the way it patinas, and the way it has to be polished.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/12/2009 11:45:58 PM

I''ve chosen 18kt yellow gold.
Oh, yellow gold! I don''t think you mentioned that the 18K gold would be yellow! I know a bit about yellow gold :). I also think that you have good taste in choosing to have a yellow gold ring to match your crown.

Deb
34.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny - here is a picture of my plat ering (have been wearing 10 years) with my new plat wedding band (5 stone).
(sorry the pic is soooo big). I truly dont see much difference between the two rings as far as patina goes but you
can look for yourself and decide.

sml3951.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2009 7:21:31 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
5/12/2009 11:45:58 PM

I''ve chosen 18kt yellow gold.

Oh, yellow gold! I don''t think you mentioned that the 18K gold would be yellow! I know a bit about yellow gold :). I also think that you have good taste in choosing to have a yellow gold ring to match your crown.

Deb

34.gif

1.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 9:15:43 AM
Author: tyty333
Imdanny - here is a picture of my plat ering (have been wearing 10 years) with my new plat wedding band (5 stone).

(sorry the pic is soooo big). I truly dont see much difference between the two rings as far as patina goes but you

can look for yourself and decide.

I agree with you. I don''t see very much difference at all. Nice rings! Thanks for showing them to me!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/12/2009 10:14:47 AM
Author: AGBF

On the contrary, I am making a mental (note) of where to find information on platinum and white gold should I ever need it myself!

I really know very little about the difference between the two metals and about when either is plated in the making of jewelry.
I found a really helpful site that discusses differences between white gold and platinum. I realize (now) that Danny was talking about yellow gold all along, but since I thought he was trying to decide between 18K white gold and platinum I was more intent on technical issues than what color was better! Here is a link.

AGBF
34.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It''s all good. Thanks for the link!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops - I''ve been swamped with work the last week, and haven''t looked at PS... Thanks for the compliments, Deb!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results