shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold bangle project

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Recently I had a renewed interest in decorating my wrists, and came >>this<< close to buying the iconic Cartier love bangle. However, besides a less than stellar salesperson (pushy & impatient!), Cartier's love just did not fit my wrist right. It's too round, so even their smallest size 15 turns all the way round, PLUS that stupid screw bit sticks in and seems like it would make dents on my arm all day long.

28bQe6I.jpg

UiGmIll.jpg

VCA's perlee d'or was a better fit but didn't make my heart sing. I did end up getting the VCA sweet bracelet, but it didn't stop my bangle itch. Few days ago I found a local jewelry store that made hinged gold bangles in EXACTLY my size, a narrow oval shape that fit just so and didn't turn!

ADGbXGI.png

I felt a bit guilty though as I've bought a bunch of jewelry this year already, plus the design was just a wee bit plain. Then!! I remembered these gold bangles, which were a gift from MIL on my wedding day years ago!

fw6Tpmf.jpg

She'd been safekeeping them for me, so I just got these back today. I've only worn these bangles for 5 minutes before, so this is the first chance I've had to look at them closely. The texture and color is gorgeous, actually, but they're way too big and crazy for daily wear. I mean, they're literally big enough to wear on my ankles:

V29eaZ0.png

:lol:
With her blessings I'll be remaking one custom, at that local jewelry shop with the perfect fit. Fingers crossed they'll take a custom job!

Please share any photos of bangle designs, or your experience on different purity of gold in an everyday bangle! I'm thinking I'll either be requesting 18k or 22k, because while it's tempting to get 24k I'm pretty sure the clasp will end up mangled in no time.

I'm pretty excited about this solution as the bangle will be that much more meaningful (and affordable, haha)!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Recently I had a renewed interest in decorating my wrists, and came >>this<< close to buying the iconic Cartier love bangle. However, besides a less than stellar salesperson (pushy & impatient!), Cartier's love just did not fit my wrist right. It's too round, so even their smallest size 15 turns all the way round, PLUS that stupid screw bit sticks in and seems like it would make dents on my arm all day long.

28bQe6I.jpg

UiGmIll.jpg

VCA's perlee d'or was a better fit but didn't make my heart sing. I did end up getting the VCA sweet bracelet, but it didn't stop my bangle itch. Few days ago I found a local jewelry store that made hinged gold bangles in EXACTLY my size, a narrow oval shape that fit just so and didn't turn!

ADGbXGI.png

I felt a bit guilty though as I've bought a bunch of jewelry this year already, plus the design was just a wee bit plain. Then!! I remembered these gold bangles, which were a gift from MIL on my wedding day years ago!

fw6Tpmf.jpg

She'd been safekeeping them for me, so I just got these back today. I've only worn these bangles for 5 minutes before, so this is the first chance I've had to look at them closely. The texture and color is gorgeous, actually, but they're way too big and crazy for daily wear. I mean, they're literally big enough to wear on my ankles:

V29eaZ0.png

:lol:
With her blessings I'll be remaking one custom, at that local jewelry shop with the perfect fit. Fingers crossed they'll take a custom job!

Please share any photos of bangle designs, or your experience on different purity of gold in an everyday bangle! I'm thinking I'll either be requesting 18k or 22k, because while it's tempting to get 24k I'm pretty sure the clasp will end up mangled in no time.

I'm pretty excited about this solution as the bangle will be that much more meaningful (and affordable, haha)!
sounds like a really fun project, I like the more oval look/fit. I am looking forward to seeing some inspirations.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread! I’ll be watching for sure, and those bangles from your MIL are out of this world gorg! :love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning bangles, my thought, don’t touch them. They can’t simply reduce the size so resizing will probably require a full remake. Can they perfectly replicate the pattern and finish and at what cost? Eye boggling probably. And Will the end result be totally how you imagine?
My thought, keep the pair as is.
I would have made an oval bangle to fit. You could do it in 18 or 22 ct (though at 22ct high alloy, gold can dent, bend and scratch) and have either a design etched across the top and/ or even set with diamonds or other precious gems. You also could incorporate birthstones - the possibilities limitless.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE Bangles and love all your delicious bangle photos. The richness of that yellow gold is TDF.:love:
And yes I would have one custom made or find one that fits right vs altering which I cannot imagine you can do without remaking.

I also love that wrist bangle from your MIL on your ankle...maybe you can start a new trend. I mean it looks absolutely gorgeous on your ankle. It really does.:love:
And nice VCA bracelet purchase. Just lovely.:appl:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Stunning bangles, my thought, don’t touch them.
I LOVE Bangles and love all your delicious bangle photos. The richness of that yellow gold is TDF.:love:
And yes I would have one custom made or find one that fits right vs altering which I cannot imagine you can do without remaking.

In case it's not clear from the photos, the two bangles have identical patterns, and I'll only need to use one to turn into something wearable! I don't know what I'd do if I kept as is... they're REALLY soft! I had one out and was just playing with it now, and oops squished it a bit. :lol-2: Quickly put it back in the box.

The idea would be to use the gold from one, yes, a remake. Coincidentally, the shop I passed by with the perfect-fit 18k bangles, is the SAME shop MIL bought these 24k bangles from! I had no idea. I'm going in to see what they can do this Saturday, very hopeful! Just one of these bangles already weighs more than the biggest Cartier Love, so I'm thinking I can even get two smaller bangles out of one... maybe a hinged one in 22k YG, and a second 51mm solid bangle in 18k WG??

BTW I'd LOVE any photos of gold bangles if you guys have any! :) Inspiration would be perfect.

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd LOVE any photos of gold bangles if you guys have any! :) Inspiration would be perfect.

Chappy I am sorry I don't have anything relevant to share with you as I don't often wear bracelets. However I do have one platinum bangle bracelet I got years ago from my favorite estate jewelry place so here you go.

bangleparkplace.jpg banglebracelet.jpg

The idea would be to use the gold from one, yes, a remake. Coincidentally, the shop I passed by with the perfect-fit 18k bangles, is the SAME shop MIL bought these 24k bangles from! I had no idea. I'm going in to see what they can do this Saturday, very hopeful!

I cannot wait to see what you do. Very excited for you. It is going to be gorgeous.:appl:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chappy I am sorry I don't have anything relevant to share with you as I don't often wear bracelets. However I do have one platinum bangle bracelet I got years ago from my favorite estate jewelry place so here you go.

bangleparkplace.jpg banglebracelet.jpg

I cannot wait to see what you do. Very excited for you. It is going to be gorgeous.:appl:
Your bangle fits like a dream! Is it oval or rounded? Oh I only hope mine comes out half as nice as yours! :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your bangle fits like a dream! Is it oval or rounded? Oh I only hope mine comes out half as nice as yours! :)

Thank you Chappy! It is oval and you're right. It's an antique bangle and it fit perfectly and I just couldn't pass it up.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Update for anyone interested:

Went to the jewelry store, and was told they would take the 24k bangles for the price of gold and give us cash directly (instead of melting it down and remaking). It wouldn't be all that meaningful if not using the same gold, so we decided not to sell.

Instead, I had fun trying on all kinds of bangles from many different shops, these are a few of my favorites:

qSCvjee.png

In the top set, I was heavily considering the two on the right, which are platinum and rose gold. However, I learned they're hollow inside, which I didn't like.

The ones in the bottom set are beautiful, and solid 18k, but too fussy for daily wear. I feel like I'd instantly lose some diamonds.

Finally, the SA suggested an adjustable 24k bangle, which at first I was like nah but then the idea slowly grew on me...

Q6KRIxt.jpg

Since it's so soft I wasn't able to try it on before the purchase. I struggled for a while but then thought what the heck, if I ever grow bored with it I can just sell it back at the price of gold for minimal loss (and possibly even gain)! I think I'll use this justification to buy any 24k gold jewelry from now on. :evil2: It's an investment!!

RyyDmuu.jpg

...and I love it. Simple, clean, glowy yellow gold. The weight is actually the same as Cartier's thin love bangle, which means it has more gold content since it's 24k! Quite surprising. And because it's adjustable, of course it fits better than any pre-made bangle (so close it slips through the jadeite bangle, which is already close-fitting).

Love the weight, color, everything. Very happy with my choice! And that's the end of my bangle journey. :lol: Thanks for following along!

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it! Clean and classic. I have a similar one, but 18 k. Would love to have one in 24 k!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love it! Clean and classic. I have a similar one, but 18 k. Would love to have one in 24 k!
Do it! It's a great weight and feel. You won't regret it! Though if you do, you can always sell it right back! :appl:

Just curious, how does a similar one in 18k work? Can you 'adjust' one that's 18k? I guess it'd be possible, but then it'd need to be very thin...? If you have any photos available feel free to share! :)

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I am sorry, I rather meant similar in being a gold band. :shifty: My band is by no means adjustable. I really love it, it is my go-to bracelet. I always wear it (when I wear it) with a chain bracelet.
20180428_122830.jpg 20180428_122720_001.jpg

Edited to add...

20180428_123516.jpg

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just have to add that I absolutely love the gold bangle with your jadeite bangle. Stunning!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh I am sorry, I rather meant similar in being a gold band. :shifty: My band is by no means adjustable. I really love it, it is my go-to bracelet. I always wear it (when I wear it) with a chain bracelet.
20180428_122830.jpg 20180428_122720_001.jpg

Edited to add...

20180428_123516.jpg
Wow, thanks for sharing, those are gorgeous! I love how simple and perfect it looks. That chain is really unique too, I've never seen anything like it! May I ask where you got that chain?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @chappy !
I got the chain bracelet from my parents on my 16th birthday, quite some time ago! It is very special to me. But it is avaliable at any jeweler in Sweden, where I live. It is called Bismark and/or Bismarck. Your question makes me wonder if this may be a common design nationally and not internationally...
I like how the texture in the chain combines with the smooth bangle.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Update for anyone interested:

Went to the jewelry store, and was told they would take the 24k bangles for the price of gold and give us cash directly (instead of melting it down and remaking). It wouldn't be all that meaningful if not using the same gold, so we decided not to sell.

Instead, I had fun trying on all kinds of bangles from many different shops, these are a few of my favorites:

qSCvjee.png

In the top set, I was heavily considering the two on the right, which are platinum and rose gold. However, I learned they're hollow inside, which I didn't like.

The ones in the bottom set are beautiful, and solid 18k, but too fussy for daily wear. I feel like I'd instantly lose some diamonds.

Finally, the SA suggested an adjustable 24k bangle, which at first I was like nah but then the idea slowly grew on me...

Q6KRIxt.jpg

Since it's so soft I wasn't able to try it on before the purchase. I struggled for a while but then thought what the heck, if I ever grow bored with it I can just sell it back at the price of gold for minimal loss (and possibly even gain)! I think I'll use this justification to buy any 24k gold jewelry from now on. :evil2: It's an investment!!

RyyDmuu.jpg

...and I love it. Simple, clean, glowy yellow gold. The weight is actually the same as Cartier's thin love bangle, which means it has more gold content since it's 24k! Quite surprising. And because it's adjustable, of course it fits better than any pre-made bangle (so close it slips through the jadeite bangle, which is already close-fitting).

Love the weight, color, everything. Very happy with my choice! And that's the end of my bangle journey. :lol: Thanks for following along!
love it with your jadeite, the colors looks so velvety luxurious!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chappy I’m sorry to have missed this thread whilst your search was in progress!!

I can’t believe you happened to find th same store your dear MIL bought your wedding bangles from - kismet! :mrgreen2: They’re gorgeous :love: and I do love the idea of wearing them on the ankles - if they weren’t 24k! :geek2:

Giving gifts of high-karat jewellery is a cultural tradition for my family. With my family, though, the recipient’s size, habits, and preferences aren’t usually considered... as the pieces aren’t really intended to be worn. To someone who sees jewellery as wearable art sidelining the “wearable” part can be a bit painful!! :lol: It was generous of your MIL to accept the idea of a remake ::)

Your VCA is lovely, the colour works so well against your skin :kiss2: and I’m with you on hollow bangles - I don’t like that they’re so much lighter than I’d expect, visually, and I worry about smushing them! The sizable bangle you ended up choosing is :love: picture perfect :love: next to your jadeite!!! And it’s obviously an investment piece, definitely :cool2::appl:Can you tell us more about the adjustment mechanism? I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it before!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@acaw2015 Your bangle and chain combo is just lovely ::) the widths work so well together! :love:

I know I’ve see this type of chain in France, and maybe even in India, but I don’t think I’ve run into it in the US... that’s interesting, I wouldn’t have thought to wonder!

I see why this is your go-to bangle :appl:How often do you wear the duo IRL?

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you @chappy !
I got the chain bracelet from my parents on my 16th birthday, quite some time ago! It is very special to me. But it is avaliable at any jeweler in Sweden, where I live. It is called Bismark and/or Bismarck. Your question makes me wonder if this may be a common design nationally and not internationally...
I like how the texture in the chain combines with the smooth bangle.
Thanks for sharing! Your chain looks almost springy, like it could stretch if a different material... and very delicate too, I really like it. And that it's been with you so long, yet looks perfect, is a testament to the design. Very special indeed!

@chappy I’m sorry to have missed this thread whilst your search was in progress!!

I can’t believe you happened to find th same store your dear MIL bought your wedding bangles from - kismet! :mrgreen2: They’re gorgeous :love: and I do love the idea of wearing them on the ankles - if they weren’t 24k! :geek2:

Giving gifts of high-karat jewellery is a cultural tradition for my family. With my family, though, the recipient’s size, habits, and preferences aren’t usually considered... as the pieces aren’t really intended to be worn. To someone who sees jewellery as wearable art sidelining the “wearable” part can be a bit painful!! :lol: It was generous of your MIL to accept the idea of a remake ::)

Your VCA is lovely, the colour works so well against your skin :kiss2: and I’m with you on hollow bangles - I don’t like that they’re so much lighter than I’d expect, visually, and I worry about smushing them! The sizable bangle you ended up choosing is :love: picture perfect :love: next to your jadeite!!! And it’s obviously an investment piece, definitely :cool2::appl:Can you tell us more about the adjustment mechanism? I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it before!
Thanks for your kind words! And yup, I think high-karat jewellery is usually not made to be worn... what a waste though!

And whoops, my thumb was covering up part of the adjustment bit, but it's nothing special, just the most basic type... here's a pic of the underside:

Sm0RcGf.jpg

You probably have a few pieces like this too, if you're used to getting high-karat jewellery! :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I see how it works now ::) thanks for the extra pics!

I have a few high-karat pieces. I love the colour :love: but I wouldn’t dare to wear them for more than a few minutes and a few photos!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving all the bangles and bracelets! I have a few that I rotate. One is 24kt and it was handed down by my husband's family for who knows how long. It has an interesting chain and I love the variation of gold karat and color. There's a necklace too. From left to right: 14kt 18kt wg 24kt 18kt rg

20180428_152503.jpg

Here is the necklace all wrapped up.

20180428_154143.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I missed this thread @chappy

I went through a similar journey several years ago. I have super thin wrists so the 16 full LOVE was big on me and also rotated which annoyed me. I ended up getting the cuff which I am just starting to wear more now. I almost went the custom route by melting down my 24k gold too, but decided against it. I had my heart set on a Love and the cuff is removable. I hope you find that you can wear your new bangle every day. I have a couple of family members that have that same design. It’s very functional. I don’t wear any of my 24k bangles either. I would crush all the engraving on it. As far as wearability I find VCA vintage motif bracelets the easiest, full gold in particular. I don’t need to baby it.

I do have another bangle on my radar. It’s the VCA perlee signature bangle. Dang that VCA list. Hope you don’t mind me posting this pic here since it’s a gold bangle. Just not 24k.
E818B982-9B5D-4612-981E-0C19B2BBFC93.jpeg

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh, I see how it works now ::) thanks for the extra pics!

I have a few high-karat pieces. I love the colour :love: but I wouldn’t dare to wear them for more than a few minutes and a few photos!
I've never worn 24k gold for longer than a few minutes either, so this will be an interesting experiment in how it wears... It's probably best for my lifestyle, since I go swimming regularly. Don't think you're "supposed" to wear 18k, like the Love, into chlorine! I've slept in it and so far, it's holding up a nice round shape. We'll see how long that lasts... haha. Feel free to share the photos of your 24k pieces!

I'm loving all the bangles and bracelets! I have a few that I rotate. One is 24kt and it was handed down by my husband's family for who knows how long. It has an interesting chain and I love the variation of gold karat and color. There's a necklace too. From left to right: 14kt 18kt wg 24kt 18kt rg

20180428_152503.jpg

Here is the necklace all wrapped up.

20180428_154143.jpg
Ooh that wrapped up necklace reminds me of ramen! Getting hungry looking at it. xD Was that chain ever worn? It's still in immaculate condition, especially for 24k! I know you said you rotate, but which one do you find yourself reaching for most?

Sorry I missed this thread @chappy

I went through a similar journey several years ago. I have super thin wrists so the 16 full LOVE was big on me and also rotated which annoyed me. I ended up getting the cuff which I am just starting to wear more now. I almost went the custom route by melting down my 24k gold too, but decided against it. I had my heart set on a Love and the cuff is removable. I hope you find that you can wear your new bangle every day. I have a couple of family members that have that same design. It’s very functional. I don’t wear any of my 24k bangles either. I would crush all the engraving on it. As far as wearability I find VCA vintage motif bracelets the easiest, full gold in particular. I don’t need to baby it.

I do have another bangle on my radar. It’s the VCA perlee signature bangle. Dang that VCA list. Hope you don’t mind me posting this pic here since it’s a gold bangle. Just not 24k.
E818B982-9B5D-4612-981E-0C19B2BBFC93.jpeg
Do your family members wear theirs at all? I'm not planning on taking mine off, since removing it often will probably ruin the round shape.

I agree, VCA full gold motif bracelets are great for daily wear. Sometimes it tickles though, and then I have to take it off; do you ever get that? I'd been eyeing Cartier's DLDC bracelet, but then the thought of tickles made me back off again!

And gosh why would I ever mind more photos of beautiful pieces, that's like hating puppies or something! I loved the fit of the VCA signature bangle in XS, the slightly thicker sides kept it from rotating. However I found it a bit thin overall, which I might ruin with my clumsiness. Looks great in your stack! Love the contrast.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chappy my aunt wears hers every day and it is completely banged out of shape. No big deal. She accepts it and keeps wearing it. The price of wearing 24k. Others don’t really wear their 24k stuff, except earrings and pendants.

I am not bothered by soft bracelets. Bangles probably bug me more. I just have to get accustomed to it. I wish the pieces in that pic were mine. They were my SA’s. It’s her beautiful combos that enticed me. I think the best fitting is the VCA signature in 15. The shape fits my wrist the best. I wish I bought that instead of the Love cuff but I certainly was not mature enough to make that decision three years ago.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom ohh, do you have any photos of your aunt wearing hers, if it'd be ok sharing? I do wonder how it'd look in a while...

VCA signature in 15? Do you mean the XS?
Love cuff is certainly not a poor choice, don't be too hard on yourself. :P2 Cuffs don't stay reliably on my wrist though, it just rolls over and then rolls off. Maybe I didn't find one with the right shape yet, or I move my arms too much. Is your cuff easy to wear?

In any case, hard bracelets are much easier to stack, especially with watches. I can't wear the VCA sweet with any bracelet watches, as it'll get stuck inside the bracelets! Eek.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@acaw2015 Your bangle and chain combo is just lovely ::) the widths work so well together! :love:

I know I’ve see this type of chain in France, and maybe even in India, but I don’t think I’ve run into it in the US... that’s interesting, I wouldn’t have thought to wonder!

I see why this is your go-to bangle :appl:How often do you wear the duo IRL?

Thank you @yssie ! Absolutely love your style in jewelry btw!!

I wear them basically always when I dress up more than just casual. I think they go with anything. I used to wear bracelets more and I think these would work with casual wear too, but I prefer no bracelets then. I would like to add a thin bangle or tennis bracelet with damonds in the stack too, but I honestly think I would still wear only the gold bracelets more often...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got one more 22kt one I'll take a pic of tomorrow.

22kt
20180113_143106.jpg

This is only 14kt but in rose gold.
20180208_152259.jpg

18kt white gold
20180223_111204.jpg

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Someone needs to create a new Show Me Your Bangles thread because obviously PSers have some amazing bangles!!!!

And @chappy your new bangle is gorgoeus! My friend just had two of those adjustable bangles made for her 1 year old daughter. I thought it was so clever as they can grow with her. Right now they are worn tight and although 24k the little girl does have them on daily. One on each wrist. They actually seem pretty durable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results