shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to OWD soon!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I have an appointment at OWD in the near future. I'm very exited! This will be my first time seeing OECs in person.
I hope I love OECs as much as I think I will.

I imagine I will tell him my budget and he will show me some options.
Suppose I find a stone I really like. What do I need to ask about it?

Now that my trip is just around the corner I want to ask you guys for a checklist of sorts.

-Measurements?
-What kind of photos should accompany it? (I would maybe want to post here for feedback.)
-Should it have a report of some kind? It won't have a GIA report, correct?
-How do I know if I am overpaying? (Lol)

Adam/OWD seems to come highly recommended here so I should say I am not worried about being treated unfairly - I hope that comes across in this post.

To add: I am not in a hurry at all. If there isn't anything for me in the store then the search will continue. But if the stars align and there is something lovely in my price range then I want to make sure I ask the right questions. :)

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would let him know your parameters before you go so he can have stones ready for you to see in your budget, mm/ct wants, color/clarity, etc. IIRC most of the stones he sells have GIA certificates unless you ask him to search uncerted stones for you (I have done that and bought beautiful OECs from him - he has a great eye). He should tell you the specs on each stone you look at.

Really, you should do your price research before you go. If you're looking for a 1ct in the KLM range, check out LAD and JBG and see what they are selling similar stones for so you get a feel for pricing before you are there and can compare what he shows you with what you've seen online. In my opinion, he's much more competitive on pricing than other old cut vendors.

Have fun, take a million pictures, and post them all here!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
liaerfbv|1473285933|4074160 said:
I would let him know your parameters before you go so he can have stones ready for you to see in your budget, mm/ct wants, color/clarity, etc. IIRC most of the stones he sells have GIA certificates unless you ask him to search uncerted stones for you (I have done that and bought beautiful OECs from him - he has a great eye). He should tell you the specs on each stone you look at.

Really, you should do your price research before you go. If you're looking for a 1ct in the KLM range, check out LAD and JBG and see what they are selling similar stones for so you get a feel for pricing before you are there and can compare what he shows you with what you've seen online. In my opinion, he's much more competitive on pricing than other old cut vendors.

Have fun, take a million pictures, and post them all here!

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed your experience there!

I have been looking at stones on JBG/LAD for awhile - so I think I kind of have an idea. It all varies, I know.

I hope there is a good inventory in my range. This will be very funny if he is like "hey, welcome! Oh - I only have three diamonds in your budget/warmth. Thanks for coming by!"

:)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should tell Adam in advance your budget. Then he can line up stones for you to view. Then let him show you what he thinks is beautiful. I specifically asked to see GIA only and VS and above. I trust Adam's eye to determine what was beautiful. Since you have never seen an OEC IRL you will want to be open to view all kinds of colors and sizes. It can only help you to see as many as possible. Don't follow my example of VS quality unless you have mental issues like me. That widens the pool and gives you more bang for the buck. Just stay open! And have lots of fun!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree with LLJSmom. The only thing you should be set on right now is your budget and keep your mind open to the diamond parameters. And like LLJSmom I have mind clean clarity issues too but be open to see everything Adam shows you. Let him guide you and teach you and you will see what appeals to you and what doesn't.

When I visited Adam for the very first time a few years ago I told him I wanted nothing lower than an H color. Lol. :lol:
Little did I know at that time that old cuts are very different in terms of color. I found my dream OEC in an L (VS1 GIA) color. Imagine that. :devil: :halo:

So keep an open mind and let Adam show and teach you the beauty that are old cuts. He is a great teacher and a trustworthy person. He will listen to you and show you some beautiful diamonds. Enjoy the experience and good luck. We are looking forward to hearing your updates. :appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a fun trip, I'm sure Adam will take good care of you. I believe when you are done you will have a good idea of what you are looking for in an OEC!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom|1473298245|4074222 said:
You should tell Adam in advance your budget. Then he can line up stones for you to view. Then let him show you what he thinks is beautiful. I specifically asked to see GIA only and VS and above. I trust Adam's eye to determine what was beautiful. Since you have never seen an OEC IRL you will want to be open to view all kinds of colors and sizes. It can only help you to see as many as possible. Don't follow my example of VS quality unless you have mental issues like me. That widens the pool and gives you more bang for the buck. Just stay open! And have lots of fun!!

Lol @ mental issues. Yes! Maybe this is what everyone goes through when they first decide to look at non-mrbs? The fear is very real that you will unintentionally end up with a dingy stone.

I think you ladies are right. I will stay open. I think seeing a range in person is going to be so informational as far as how warm I can truly go.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, mental issues are costly! I should know!! :lol: I will say that for a second diamond I broke my color and clarity rules, so I am right there with the other ladies in saying to just see everything in your budget! (although I have a very firm limit at SI1 but prefer VS :lol: ).

That will be a very fun visit!!! Good luck!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1473350294|4074373 said:
Yes, mental issues are costly! I should know!! :lol: I will say that for a second diamond I broke my color and clarity rules, so I am right there with the other ladies in saying to just see everything in your budget! (although I have a very firm limit at SI1 but prefer VS :lol: ).

That will be a very fun visit!!! Good luck!

Ha! And this reaffirms that I need to avoid conventional thinking about color, etc. I'm staying open.

And I decided to email Adam what I think I am looking for - in case he finds it helpful to pull some stones ahead of time.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky lady!! I will be a little surprised if you go home empty handed. Please come back and let us know what happens.
I have an ering and studs purchased from OWD but bought from a distance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results