color
clarity

"Go Light Green" garnet (mint merelani) in rose gold halo

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: "Go Light Green" garnet (mint merelani) in rose gold hal

baby nurse|1309719075|2961195 said:
Tl, do you find your stones darken much in halo settings (more than if they were in just prong, non-halo settings)? If so, do you think an airline between the stone and the halo helps keep the stone from darkening a bit? I ask because the padparadscha that I had set in a halo seems a bit darker to me-- I still love the setting and wouldn't change it now but wonder if it was in a prong setting like Traveling Gal's Leon ring (the one she had made for her daughter Amelia), maybe mine wouldn't have "darkened"? Or maybe it's because I had it set in platinum and it would have been better suited to yellow or rose gold.

I think for some medium light and lighter toned stones, a halo is nice because they darken the tone, and do not affect the saturation while doing so. They can actually enhance facet patterns and color by doing so. However, I have noticed that some stones lose saturation in a halo, in particular if that halo is a metal color that can bring out a modifier like grey or brown. As for an airline, I don't think it makes that much of a difference in a halo as far as tone and saturation go.

To me, the most important things to think about when getting a halo or any ring, are the tone of the stone (will it get too dark in a halo?), and the color of the metal, because that can bring out modifiers if the wrong metal color is chosen. I feel white metal is best suited for medium and medium dark stones of strong to vivid saturation (see the spessartite above), although some may disagree with me. Some people like a lot of grey showing in their gems, and that "cool" look, and white metal also satisfies their needs as well.

I hope that helps. :))

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, TL, I love your minty garnet. Especially in rose gold :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I adore this stone and if the setting wasn't in rose gold ............. I'd like that too! It looks a really substantial piece and very very pretty. It made me think about a stone that I bought many years ago as a Tsav which isn't dissimilar in colour to yours and is a heart cut also (and of course NOT a Tsav :bigsmile: ). It's made me want to get it out of the safe and have a look at it again!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kunzite - Thank you!!

LovingDiamonds|1309805194|2961623 said:
I adore this stone and if the setting wasn't in rose gold ............. I'd like that too! It looks a really substantial piece and very very pretty. It made me think about a stone that I bought many years ago as a Tsav which isn't dissimilar in colour to yours and is a heart cut also (and of course NOT a Tsav :bigsmile: ). It's made me want to get it out of the safe and have a look at it again!

LD,
Is it a tourmaline? Post a photo! :saint:

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, not too much rose gold shows on the setting since there is micropave all over it, and I forgot to mention there's a small airline, which I love, since it enhances the shape of the stone.

DecoHouse

Rough_Rock

The saturation! The shape! ^swoon^

You don't see too many hearts anymore, at least not in amazing stones..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deco - thank you!! I can't stop taking photos of this stone, and I have to get some fluorescent light photos, because it looks amazing under fluorescents.

8749879797984 014.PNG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1309830515|2961742 said:
Kunzite - Thank you!!

LD,

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, not too much rose gold shows on the setting since there is micropave all over it, and I forgot to mention there's a small airline, which I love, since it enhances the shape of the stone.

Not a tourmaline - it's actually a mint garnet, just a smidge under 2ct that was masquerading by the seller as a Tsav! I remember opening the package (and this is many years ago) and going "oh, that's not a tsav!" but to be honest it was a reasonable buy, pretty stone, lovely colour and so it didn't get returned! It's been sitting in the safe forever and hasn't seen the light of day for ages! I will attempt to take photos but as you know my camera is dreadful at photographing greens. It looks like your new camera likes greens? Is it easier to capture the true colour of green with it?

I like the airline. You're very lucky that Lanbo made this ring so well because it would have been dreadful if the airline wasn't precise and was wonky. He's really done this well hasn't he?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LovingDiamonds|1309896339|2962164 said:
TL|1309830515|2961742 said:
Kunzite - Thank you!!

LD,

Not a tourmaline - it's actually a mint garnet, just a smidge under 2ct that was masquerading by the seller as a Tsav! I remember opening the package (and this is many years ago) and going "oh, that's not a tsav!" but to be honest it was a reasonable buy, pretty stone, lovely colour and so it didn't get returned! It's been sitting in the safe forever and hasn't seen the light of day for ages! I will attempt to take photos but as you know my camera is dreadful at photographing greens. It looks like your new camera likes greens? Is it easier to capture the true colour of green with it?

I like the airline. You're very lucky that Lanbo made this ring so well because it would have been dreadful if the airline wasn't precise and was wonky. He's really done this well hasn't he?

This camera has it's issues with greens, forget getting emeralds right, ever, but I think this stone, for some reason photographs very well, and more true to color. Not sure why (?????). It isn't a pure green, as it has some blue in it, maybe that's why???? Maybe the lighter tone???

The airline did come out well, and I think that's because I sent him a photo of the stone. I suspect they shrunk the photo to the precise measurements to make the ring. It fits like a glove.

Looking forward to photos of your mint garnet. I have a smaller oval mint garnet that was sold to me as a tsavorite too. I think many dealers just call these tsavorites, even though they are a lighter grossular garnet than the chrome green of a tsavorite.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1309734550|2961275 said:
baby nurse|1309719075|2961195 said:
Tl, do you find your stones darken much in halo settings (more than if they were in just prong, non-halo settings)? If so, do you think an airline between the stone and the halo helps keep the stone from darkening a bit? I ask because the padparadscha that I had set in a halo seems a bit darker to me-- I still love the setting and wouldn't change it now but wonder if it was in a prong setting like Traveling Gal's Leon ring (the one she had made for her daughter Amelia), maybe mine wouldn't have "darkened"? Or maybe it's because I had it set in platinum and it would have been better suited to yellow or rose gold.

I think for some medium light and lighter toned stones, a halo is nice because they darken the tone, and do not affect the saturation while doing so. They can actually enhance facet patterns and color by doing so. However, I have noticed that some stones lose saturation in a halo, in particular if that halo is a metal color that can bring out a modifier like grey or brown. As for an airline, I don't think it makes that much of a difference in a halo as far as tone and saturation go.

To me, the most important things to think about when getting a halo or any ring, are the tone of the stone (will it get too dark in a halo?), and the color of the metal, because that can bring out modifiers if the wrong metal color is chosen. I feel white metal is best suited for medium and medium dark stones of strong to vivid saturation (see the spessartite above), although some may disagree with me. Some people like a lot of grey showing in their gems, and that "cool" look, and white metal also satisfies their needs as well.

I hope that helps. :))

Thank you!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

WOW, TL!! This ring came out absolutely stunning. :love: :love: :love: :love:

I love the size, color, cut, luster and presence of this mint garnet. It's definitely a rare find, and you were lucky enough to snag it! Sometimes it looks like sour apple, other times it looks blue-green. Sometimes it looks like the perfect shade of an intense green diamond.

You did really well with the rose gold as well. Surprisingly it's very subtle in the pics, so it doesn't compete with the stone.

Nicely done!! :appl:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Every time this thread comes up, I click on it to enjoy the photos again. I love love love this gem. It never fails to cheer me up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PR,
Thank you so much for the kind words!!

MT,
You are so sweet.

Do any of you have stones you just cannot stop taking photos of??? I think this mint garnet is probably my favorite ring right now, and that's saying a lot because I have a lot of rings.

TLmintgarnetrayoflight.JPG

TLgarnetsandspinels3.JPG

TLmintgarnetglare.JPG

TLgarntsandspinels4.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Couldn't resist. Okay, no more photos. I promise!!

TLgolightmintgarnet.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, that made me laugh - if only all stoplights were so well decorated :lol:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

Hahaa!! Your stone can definitely pull it off ;))

Oooh you should use your pear spess as the yellow light and the mahenge trillion as the red light!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Do any of you have stones you just cannot stop taking photos of??? I think this mint garnet is probably my favorite ring right now, and that's saying a lot because I have a lot of rings.

Yes .............. :razz:

This picture takes the prize ~ I want to "SQUEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!" when I see those sparkles !!!!!!
And LOOK at that Green GLOW !!!!!!!!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

TLgarnetsandspinels3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't forget to photoshop your other coloured gemstones for the remaining two traffic light colours. :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Minous, PR, Shiney, Chrono,
Thanks!

I don't have photoshop, so sorry this is pitiful. I use MS Paintbrush.

Well, you get the idea.

TLgolightmintgarnet2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono,
This is for you. I was finally able to capture some pink flashes from my violet spinel.

TLvioletspinelpinkflashes.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If all traffic lights looked like that, we PSers will never be able to get to our destinations. :lol:

TL,
I find that taking pictures of this type of spinel in the early morning or late evening tend to show the pink flash more easily? The problem is I see it IRL at all times during the day but the camera doesn't. It is incredibly frustrating!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1311347726|2974567 said:
If all traffic lights looked like that, we PSers will never be able to get to our destinations. :lol:

TL,
I find that taking pictures of this type of spinel in the early morning or late evening tend to show the pink flash more easily? The problem is I see it IRL at all times during the day but the camera doesn't. It is incredibly frustrating!

LOL! Chrono!

Yes, I see it too, in particular under fluorescents and sunlight. Very very frustrating because cameras do have a tendency to not show dispersion well. Every once in a while I get lucky with the camera though, but the dispersion is much better IRL.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

Now that makes me WANT to be stuck in traffic. :love: :love: :love:

ETA: Chrono, soooo true!!! :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

platinumrock|1311348593|2974581 said:

The funny thing about that is that I'm often stuck in traffic and all of these photos were taken at stop lights (with the exception of the ones on the first page taken in McDonalds). :bigsmile:

Taking photos of gems at stop lights is something I do when I'm bored to death waiting for the green light and traffic to move. Yes, I'm very odd.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

Lovely green and I love that profile shot!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1311347281|2974560 said:
Minous, PR, Shiney, Chrono,
Thanks!

I don't have photoshop, so sorry this is pitiful. I use MS Paintbrush.

Well, you get the idea.

Now that's a traffic light I wouldn't mind stopping at! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1311353098|2974637 said:
The funny thing about that is that I'm often stuck in traffic and all of these photos were taken at stop lights (with the exception of the ones on the first page taken in McDonalds). :bigsmile:

Taking photos of gems at stop lights is something I do when I'm bored to death waiting for the green light and traffic to move. Yes, I'm very odd.

You know, TL, what crossed my mind when I read that is not that you're odd, but that you're smart and highly efficient - what's that say about me? :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Amelia and Brandy!!

minousbijoux|1311362172|2974749 said:

You know, TL, what crossed my mind when I read that is not that you're odd, but that you're smart and highly efficient - what's that say about me? :naughty:

Thanks Minous!
I'm just a multi-tasker (a big time multi-tasker).

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

platinumrock|1311348593|2974581 said:

You'd not odd, you're creative!!

That can actually prevent a lot of road rage. lol

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

Best of the best mint merelani garnet...I'm so smitten

Sadly enough, I couldn't find anything even closer to yours!!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Aside from the heart-shape, it has great size and color...where did you get it? Or, is that a secret??? lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results