shape
carat
color
clarity

Georg Jensen jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, f&i, I didn''t notice that you had asked me about the pin markings earlier. I was interested in the other jeweler who "shared ideas" with Georg Jensen in New York! At first I couldn''t make out the word which appears to be "Inc". As you can see, the pin is marked:

USA
GEORG
JENSEN
INC

STERLING

GJPinMarkings.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Here you go. It''s interesting because this is from a Boston jeweler. You see this kind of influence all day long in Chicago area - as many Danes, Scandinavians settled. And, I wonder if my Foss pin pre-dates the Jensen. So, what came first - the chicken or the egg.

Thanks for the mark. I''m unsure if Foss design for Jensen USA. I don''t remember seeing anything about it. But, they all "borrowed" from each other. The Jensen USA stuff is VERY different than the Jensen Denmark stuff. On the surface it may appear the same - but very different look in the body of the work.

Enjoy it! It''s really great - and unusual for Jensen USA pieces to have stones.

foss.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the tutorial f&i. I know nothing about antique or vintage jewelry (and I mean nothing,)!!! Just the small amount you have told me is going to take time to sink in. If we lay off politics, we seem to agree on a great deal (from how to handle family situations through how to handle dogs) and we have no trouble discussing jewelry, which is what Pricecope is nominally about!

Thank you.

Deb

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2005 10:36:36 AM
Author: AGBF

I appreciate the tutorial f&i. I know nothing about antique or vintage jewelry (and I mean nothing,)!!! Just the small amount you have told me is going to take time to sink in. If we lay off politics, we seem to agree on a great deal (from how to handle family situations through how to handle dogs) and we have no trouble discussing jewelry, which is what Pricecope is nominally about!

Thank you.

Deb
I''m glad we could find some common ground!!!
9.gif

BTW, when the pin was purchased it was relatively expensive in it''s day. The store had a higher rep than Tiffany''s.
1.gif

That being said, WEAR THAT PIN!!!! Not a greater fashion statement than a pin on a lapel! Do it at least once for me - I''m betting people will be drawn to it.

s95

Shiny_Rock
Your earrings look like a pin that I saw on the signed pieces website. They are so pretty!

ghpinearrings.jpg

s95

Shiny_Rock
Here it is.

gjsignedpieces.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2005 3:44:45 PM
Author: s95
Here it is.

s95,

That is just beautiful!!! Is it yours? Is it Georg Jensen or someone (e.g. Foss) with a similar style? Danish, American, or another nationality? f&i is getting me interested now!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2005 5:03:05 PM
That is just beautiful!!! Is it yours? Is it Georg Jensen or someone (e.g. Foss) with a similar style? Danish, American, or another nationality? f&i is getting me interested now!

That isn''t mine is it!!?? Did you clean it using photo software or see it somewhere?
I can''t believe it!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Deb, if I understand correctly her post was of a pin that was offered for sale at signpieces.com. But, see how much prettier your pin would be with a tad little polish?

BTW, your pin (Deb's) is far more interesting than the one posted.
2.gif

Hope the roads were O.K.

edited to add: I'm pretty sure that one is Georg Jensen - probably Denmark though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2005 5:11:14 PM
Author: fire&ice
Hope the roads were O.K.

The roads were not the problem. Separation anxiety was. It was lucky I had not left the state :). I explained to my daughter the meaning of:

"The best-laid schemes o'' mice an ''men
Gang aft agley"

I had an unexpected and sleepy companion on my trip home.

Deb ;-)

s95

Shiny_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 75px">Date: 7/11/2005 5:11:14 PM
Deb, if I understand correctly her post was of a pin that was offered for sale at signpieces.com. But, see how much prettier your pin would be with a tad little polish?
Deb, Fire&Ice is right. I saw it on the signed pieces website and happened to remember your Georg Jensen post. Strange, isn''t it?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another visit to Connecticut...and more intrigue. My mother now mentioned she once had a Georg Jensen lipstick holder. She also had a silver compact. I am not sure whether the compact was Georg Jensen, though.

My mother didn't tell me this: she gave my daughter a sterling silver starfish necklace from around 1950 and told her that she had recently given me Georg Jensen jewelry. She said that she had a little money from working during World War II and bought a little jewelry. Then she went on to mention the compact and lipstick holder. I wonder where they have gone off to? There always seems to be a mystery with my mother and her Georg Jensen!

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...time for a link. There is another thread about Georg Jensen growing into something substantive. Anyone reading about Georg Jensen here, might want to take a look at this thread:

Georg Jensen Thread in Rocky Talky

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Georg Jensen!

Guess what, fire&ice? I am in Connecticut. My mother found something. You have to guess what it is. I hope you are on-line. I am very excited about this find, and I do not know if I can wait for you to come out and play if you are off-line for too long!!!

Deb

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
f&i has been off line too long.....what did your mother find?!

peace, movie zombie

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My first guess would be the Lipstick case then the compact.
2.gif
9.gif
And, we need pics. Here''s a promised pic of the Jensen U.S.A. earrings I picked up recently.

gjen.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice, f&i!

peace,movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 9:48:00 AM
Here's a promised pic of the Jensen U.S.A. earrings I picked up recently.

I love them! I couldn't wear them (just as I cannot wear the Georg Jensen my mother gave me), but I think they are divine looking!

You were right about the lipstick holder (with a red lipstick still in it)! On the bottom is a silver paper sticker just big enough for the bottom of the lipstick holder saying, "Danish Red" and showing the Georg Jensen logo. It also says, "Georg Jensen, Inc." and "New York, N.Y. DISTR". The top of the metal case has the logo in three dimensions adorning it!

She also found a burgundy leather, "evening purse" (in a tattered silver cardboard box with the Georg Jensen, Inc" logo on it again). Inside the top flap on what looks like a theatrical pink silk lining is the Georg Jensen logo and the words: "Georg Jensen INC."

The purse has several compartments inside as well as a built-in coin purse. There is, alas, no Georg Jensen compact, but the lipstick holder fits into one of the compartments and a tortoise shell comb on silver (with the Georg Jensen logo in three dimensions on it) is in its holder! The compact in the purse (did you doubt there would be one?) is labelled, "Volupté", which is also written on the theatrical pink powder puff, and is also sterling silver. That is one ornate compact! When one first opens it, he sees a powder puff sitting on silver and there is a mirror inside the lid. If one opens the powwder compartment (which is under the powder puff), the lid opens to the left side does not block the mirror. There is even some powder in the compact! I told my mother we could have it analyzed. (I was thinking of radiocarbon dating!).

I cannot post photos here (in Connecticut), but will do so once i return to Virginia!

Deb

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Ah, Proper ladies accessories! A time long forgotten with all our disposable stuff. I can almost smell the pressed powder. Would love to see them. It sounds like from your description that the purse contained all of these items. Are the assessories sterling? What shape is the tortoise shell in as G Jensen denmark made ladies items with tortoise (the last piece I had was a sewing assessory). They are not commonly seen as tortoise was outlawed shortly after.

Does your Mother remember buying the accessories separate? Or did the purse come complete? I''m wondering if the Volupte compact was orginial? Volupte made lovely womens compacts.

....ah the days of yesteryear! And, your Mother had very good taste!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 12:37:49 PM
Does your Mother remember buying the accessories separate? Or did the purse come complete?

I will ask her. I am not sure if she will remember that far back, but perhaps she will!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 12:37:49 PM
I''m wondering if the Volupte compact was orginial? Volupte made lovely womens compacts.

I am not sure what you mean by, "original"!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 1:02:29 PM
I will ask her. I am not sure if she will remember that far back, but perhaps she will!

My mother isn''t about to swear that her memory is correct, but she thinks she was teaching (in Garden City on Long Island) and living in New York City when she bought all the items mentioned. As she recalls, one could buy the purse with whatever accessories one chose. She thinks she chose the comb and the lipstick case, but not the compact because she already owned a Volupté compact. These purchases were made either during World War II (when my father was overseas) or just after it ended in the 1940''s when he was in graduate school for social work. She guessed 1948.

Deborah

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
I just now discovered this thread, and it''s SO INTERESTING!!!!! I''ve learned so much!!

Deb! This sounds like an unfolding treasure hunt saga..I wonder what other treasures your mom has!

Can''t wait to see pics of the bag and accessories...what fun!
3.gif
36.gif

widget

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
As I mentioned before - the Jensen USA stuff came about because of the lack of availablity of danish/contential items during the war - so your dates would be correct. It would be difficult to pin down an exact date from description. Though curious - sometimes the receipt would be included in the box? That would have the date.

Makes sense that the items would be a la carte. It''s a fun legacy! I''m dying to see pics, especially of the purse and box.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Widget - I have enjoyed this thread and learned quite a bit as well. No information is better than coming from the original owner. I''ve learned my best info from direct provenance. And, it''s almost like *I* have visited the Jensen store during the 40''s!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents flew in for Christmas today. My mother had not said a word about it when we talked on the phone (daily) prior to their arival; she just dropped a tarnished Georg Jensen pin in front of me and said, "I found another one".

Today I bought silver polish after a long hunt under the sink failed to unearth a jar!

Deb :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents flew in for Christmas today. My mother had not said a word about it when we talked on the phone (daily) prior to their arrival; but when she came in today she just dropped a tarnished Georg Jensen pin in front of me and said, "I found another one".

Today I bought silver polish after a long hunt under the sink failed to unearth a jar!

Deb :)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Pictures! Pictures!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Don''t go crazy with the silver polish.
6.gif
And, pics are mandatory!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
This thread is better than a soap opera! [Ok, maybe it''s an educational soap opera (g).]

On the edge of my seat, Vix

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results