shape
carat
color
clarity

Georg Jensen jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of the Georg Jensen (Georg Jensen USA) pin I received from my mother this week. It is from the 1940''s.

Deb

SecondGeorgJensenPin.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovely!

peace, movie zombie

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Deb, how wonderful!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Lovely detailing! Aren''t you just the lucky dog. Wear it in good health.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Didn''t see it! It''s similar in style to the e.r.''s I posted & probably by Alphonse LaPaglia for GJ. I do like it.

Does your mother remember anything hanging from the pin? Do you see on the bottom there is a little loop? Often this pin design held a locket.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2006 5:48:45 PM
Author: fire&ice
Does your mother remember anything hanging from the pin? Do you see on the bottom there is a little loop? Often this pin design held a locket.

I saw the loop and wondered if something had broken off or if it was supposed to be able to hang on a chain. I didn''t have a clue that a locket was ever used with this style pin. I can ask. You are certainly teaching me a lot about Georg Jensen!!

Deb

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 6:23:08 AM
Author: AGBF

Date: 1/6/2006 5:48:45 PM
Author: fire&ice

I saw the loop and wondered if something had broken off or if it was supposed to be able to hang on a chain. I didn''t have a clue that a locket was ever used with this style pin. I can ask. You are certainly teaching me a lot about Georg Jensen!!

Deb
I doubt if it was meant to hang on a chain. I could be wrong - but I don''t think it would ever balance on a chain. But, you could do a taste test w/ it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Aaargh! I''m such a dummy....I was totally engrossed in this thread, and then lost track of it!

Deb: Did you ever get pictures of the bag, lipstick case and comb?? And compact?

That pin is great...looks like it would go well with F&I''s earrings!

widget

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2006 10:20:49 PM
Author: widget
Deb: Did you ever get pictures of the bag, lipstick case and comb?? And compact?

No, I never took them. I am very behind in posting photos I have been promising to post...not just of Georg Jensen jewelry, but also of high karat gold jewelry I have bought. :)

Deb

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I like some of the more recent Georg Jensen.....

georg jensen magic drops.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice, but a style I am seeing by every designer at the moment. Gurhan has a lot of these in gold, but I do not know if he started the trend, either. He and Georg Jensen may be emulating someone else!

Deborah

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
While everything is derivitive, historically - G. Jensen designs have been edgy and original, hiring Lunning Design winnners. Since they are formally under the big conglomerate, I''m unsure whether that is currently true.

I''ve always been the most fond of their moderne designs.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...back to the Georg Jensen flatware. My mother had told me the name of her pattern was "Frontier Plain". Not only had no one heard of that, but no one had heard of "Frontier". Now I see that Frontier existed...but was apparently made in Denmark.

How would that pattern being made in Denmark square with buying the flatware during World War II in the USA? I thought it was impossible. Could Georg Jensen USA have made a "Frontier Plain" during the war...or is this Frontier (made in Denmark) my mother''s pattern?

Frontier flatware by Georg Jensen

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone wants to read more on Georg Jensen USA, he may enjoy this article. It discusses the designers used by Georg Jensen USA during World War II. An excerpt follows.

"The story of Georg Jensen Inc. USA begins in Denmark with Frederik Lunning, an intriguing character and an art and book dealer who also sold Jensen pieces. He was to become the esteemed director of Jensen's U.S. operation.

Jensen managing directors P. Pedersen and T. Moller first hired Lunning in 1920 to arrange silver exhibitions. This turned out to be the firm's most successful year, with foreign art critics praising Jensen craftsmanship. But in 1921, grave economic crises in Europe forced massive order cancellations. The Copenhagen factory found itself suddenly overstocked; new foreign markets were urgently needed to keep the company in business.

Lunning was sent to New York with a large collection of the best pieces, which he managed to sell quickly at private showings in such top hotels as the Waldorf Astoria. Lunning's shrewd targeting of an exclusive coterie of wealthy Americans averted a financial crisis at home. New orders poured into the Copenhagen workshops. (As sales increased, so did the fineness of the silver used, rising from 825/1000 to 925/1000 sterling by 1930.)

Lunning opened a small shop on 53 St. in New York, N.Y. in 1923, went on to weather the Great Depression and moved to a new, prestigious location on Fifth Avenue. But back in Europe, the German invasion of Denmark in 1940 and the consequent end of exports meant that silver jewelry and hollowware made in Denmark were no longer available on world markets. The Jensen factory moved to the Copenhagen suburbs to produce stainless steel products.

Nineteen forty also was a pivotal year for Jensen's American connection. This was the year in which Lunning obtained sole agency rights in America for 100 years from Royal Copenhagen, the parent company of Georg Jensen, Denmark.

Lunning soon made two major policy shifts:

* He expanded his Fifth Avenue shop into a three-floor minidepartment store devoted to a mixed bag of decorative items, including silver and gold jewelry, lamps, figurines, furniture and fabrics, clocks, handbags, perfumes and even children's clothes. Quantity unfortunately replaced quality in the process.

* He filled the gap left by Danish artisans who were otherwise employed fighting Hitler by hiring two designers in America, La Paglia and JoPol. They were to produce jewelry 'in the Jensen style' to be stamped 'Georg Jensen Inc. USA' during the 1940s.

Curiously, the Copenhagen home office was not consulted and, in fact, was surprised to discover after the war the existence of the American production. Perhaps Lunning decided that his countrymen were too preoccupied with the Resistance to care about retail sales in New York. Perhaps he reasoned that having saved the day once for Jensen in the '20s, he could continue the highly successful Jensen silverware and jewelry lines during the war by using his own designers.

Whatever the case, the new American designs were still in production after the war. This prompted lawsuits by the Jensen directors in Denmark, who did not recognize pieces produced outside of the Copenhagen smithy. Lunning had broken the strong tradition of Danish 'order' and was called to account for it. Georg Jensen Inc. USA settled with the Copenhagen firm in 1949-'50."

article

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never posted pictures of the items I had planned to photograph for this thread, and now I do not even recall where I put them! Over the last week I found two sterling silver barrettes in my late mother''s jewelry box in Connecticut. They do not appear to be marked, "Georg Jensen", but they have the look of her other sterling silver pieces. If they are not Georg Jensen, they are probably from similar jewelers working at the same time she was buying pieces from Georg Jensen USA, i.e. in the 1940''s.

AGBF
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results