shape
carat
color
clarity

Gave into temptation, bought a Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Major problem right here--and I''m betting this is why there is condensation and dirt in there.

MTGs spinel ring.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any suggestions for a new setting?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how bout a halo?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 5:38:00 PM
Author: D&T
how bout a halo?
Heh, it's already a bit larger than I'm used to. I'm really a low-key kinda gal..
I was thinking I might send this, and the lavender spinel to sally, and see if we can think up a pendant design..

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a vintage looking piece? And about how big is it?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
MTG- Love love love the pink spinel
30.gif
30.gif
Though I do agree the bezel is iffy! I think I might consider something E-W, if I were you..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 5:47:27 PM
Author: FrekeChild
What about a vintage looking piece? And about how big is it?
It's hard to measure with the bezel, i'd say about 7 x 5.5
I'm giving serious thought to trying to comine it with the lavender spinel in a pendant, again, because I only have so many fingers, lol. I think the two colors would look nice together.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking a simple pendant, with the two stones held together with links, maybe with milligrain to make it more interesting. (Pardon the bad photoshopping). Hmmm...

spinelpend.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi MTG!
35.gif

Awesome pendant....love your new pretty!!!
30.gif

Lori

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh pendant idea sounds fun... never mind about the halo, didn''t know the size but its rather large ish already... but me too low key kinda gal
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I just made an alchemy submission to see what I could wrangle up. If it doesn''t pan out I''ll probably look into the usual etsy suspects. Might just send them to sally and ask her to surprise me!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
I don''t feel the flow of the pendant setting; ovals and rectangles are blocky shapes. If you have a pear, you can dangle the pear at the end of either the oval or cushion set East West.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 10:58:14 PM
Author: Chrono
MTG,

I don''t feel the flow of the pendant setting; ovals and rectangles are blocky shapes. If you have a pear, you can dangle the pear at the end of either the oval or cushion set East West.
I am definitely no pendant designer! Actually, I got a bid from Julia, and I really love the style of her jewelery:
http://www.juliakaytaylor.com/

She apparently specializes in bezels, and is sketching up some designs for the spinels. I told her if she works in additional shapes, I can probably provide the stones.

I could set the cushion east-west, and bezel the oval into a pear and dangle it...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe like this? Anyways, I''ll let you guys know what we end up with!

spinelpend2.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a side by side, I think the colors go nicely together. What do you think?

twospins.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2009 8:10:02 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Much better, but I''d invert the pear so that the pointy tip is at the top and the rounded part is hanging at the lowest point.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2009 12:13:39 PM
Date: 6/4/2009 8:10:02 AM

Author: MakingTheGrade

Much better, but I''d invert the pear so that the pointy tip is at the top and the rounded part is hanging at the lowest point.
Hmm...I think I like it point down..maybe it''s because a lot of her other pieces are point down too, lol. Anyways, she''s going to get back to me with some sketches so I''m excited. Thanks for the input Chrono!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably don''t mind it as much pointing down in earrings but will it poke your chest in a pendant?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2009 12:19:38 PM
I probably don''t mind it as much pointing down in earrings but will it poke your chest in a pendant?
Mm..I don''t think so? I''ve had point-down pear pendants in the past without finding it uncomfortable, and this will be smaller than past ones.
Julia (the etsy vendor) said she''d have some sketches for me later today, so I"ll be back later with any updates to design.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7.gif
7.gif
7.gif

So the pink spinel has some damage, most likely from the bezel setting since brad''s original vendor pic of the stone didn''t show this massive chip... Poor baby.
sppinelcracked.jpg

The most likely cause is because the inside of the bezel is not complete in this corner, and the edges angle up. Julia wrote to let me know about the damage and sent me these pics. But she says she''ll do her best to cover the damage, just wanted to let me know and ask if I had bought the stone that way.

And this is why it''s risky to buy preset rings I guess. Lesson learned. I''m sure the pendant will still turn out lovely, it''s just sad that the pretty spinel has a boo boo
7.gif

missingbezelcorner.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about the huge chip.
39.gif
It looks pretty bad but maybe the bezel will be able to cover it up, much like it did previously.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2009 11:09:37 PM
Sorry about the huge chip.
39.gif
It looks pretty bad but maybe the bezel will be able to cover it up, much like it did previously.

Yeah, I''m not angry or anything, Julia said she can still set it. I just feel bad for the poor abused spinel...which I realize makes me sound crazy.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about your spinel, MTG, but I''m glad it can be covered up. I didn''t know a bad bezel could do such a thing - yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results