shape
carat
color
clarity

Gave into temptation, bought a Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice stone - I''m with TL on how it looks better than Brad''s picture. This is another reason why I like to get gems from Brad - his stones are always better than his pictures.
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 9:53:59 PM
Author: Chrono
A nice stone - I''m with TL on how it looks better than Brad''s picture. This is another reason why I like to get gems from Brad - his stones are always better than his pictures.
1.gif
Oops, sorry if I was unclear. This lavender spinel is from Weblorn on Ebay. I have to receive Brad''s pink spinel, but I''m really looking forward to it since he seems to be so highly regarded!
5.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 4:14:07 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 6/2/2009 4:13:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
That''s very pretty, and I like it better than the vendor''s photo!! Congratulations!
Thanks TL! I heard rumor that you have some spinels coming your way as well...? Hehe.
Yes, I have three coming my way.
11.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 9:55:27 PM

Date: 6/2/2009 9:53:59 PM
1.gif
Oops, sorry if I was unclear. This lavender spinel is from Weblorn on Ebay. I have to receive Brad''s pink spinel, but I''m really looking forward to it since he seems to be so highly regarded!
5.gif
Thanks for the correction. I''ve also purchased a Meralani mint from Welborn and am pleased enough with it to keep it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! Are there pics of it anywhere Chrono? The cut on them looks funky in her pics so I wasn''t sure.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 10:00:51 PM
Thanks for the correction. I''ve also purchased a Meralani mint from Welborn and am pleased enough with it to keep it.
Chrono........ let''s see it! what size/shape?? spill
9.gif
I''ve been wondering how her stones compare to the photos.

I guess favorably, though, because your spinel seems lovely, MTG! I have to admit though, I''m a little more excited about that pretty pink from Brad. Looks like one gorgeous stone
30.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 10:24:57 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 6/2/2009 10:00:51 PM

Thanks for the correction. I've also purchased a Meralani mint from Welborn and am pleased enough with it to keep it.

Chrono........ let's see it! what size/shape?? spill
9.gif
I've been wondering how her stones compare to the photos.

I guess favorably, though, because your spinel seems lovely, MTG! I have to admit though, I'm a little more excited about that pretty pink from Brad. Looks like one gorgeous stone
30.gif

Haha, I don't blame you, I'm more excited for it too because I get to WEAR IT! Don't get me wrong, I really like having projects in the works, but there is something just really satisfying about something you can wear right away! These will probably be the last few purchases I make though until at least after the wedding.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a 1.xx (can''t remember) ct rectangular Meralani mint cut with some portugese faceting in the pavilon. It''s the one in the background.

greengrossular1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the large size of the pictures.
emembarrassed.gif
A closer view of the mint next to its cousin, a 2 ct tsavorite.

greengrossular2.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Unfair to photo it with the tsav though, lol.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 11:17:18 PM
Pretty! Unfair to photo it with the tsav though, lol.

seriously! Who can compete with that???
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s simply called laziness in trying to get 2 stones in one picture.
9.gif
Since I plan to have another photoshoot in a couple of weeks, I’ll add the mint to my list if you like. The list seems to be growing longer: 2 cobalts, 1 Mozambique Paraiba and now the mint.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 11:58:28 AM
9.gif
Since I plan to have another photoshoot in a couple of weeks, I’ll add the mint to my list if you like. The list seems to be growing longer: 2 cobalts, 1 Mozambique Paraiba and now the mint.
Yay for photoshoot! I''m glad you are enjoying your new camera skills!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Count me in as wanting to see more of the mint and the tsav!

Date: 6/3/2009 11:58:28 AM
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, the list is growing.
3.gif
2 cobalts, 1 MP, mint and tsavorite.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinel ring came! It''s horribly cloudy out
7.gif
So these are the best i can do for now.

GTspinel.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And some shots in varied lighting

variedlights.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring itself is a silver bezel, done by OneGarnetGirl
Hmm..think I should silver bezel the lavender one and make these into a stacking pair?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, ok, so my only complaint is that the bezel is closed in the back...and there''s dust/dirt trapped in there! It won''t bug me if I don''t think too hard about it...but I think one of these days this spinel needs to get reset, if only so it can get a good and proper cleaning!

Also, I was wearing it when I washed my hands, and I tend to wash my hands in hot water. And now there''s condensation back there too, ack! Last time I do that!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 3:07:18 PM
Haha, ok, so my only complaint is that the bezel is closed in the back...and there''s dust/dirt trapped in there! It won''t bug me if I don''t think too hard about it...but I think one of these days this spinel needs to get reset, if only so it can get a good and proper cleaning!

Also, I was wearing it when I washed my hands, and I tend to wash my hands in hot water. And now there''s condensation back there too, ack! Last time I do that!
That would drive me crazy, and I have to be honest, that spinel is too nice for that setting. I would reset it. Sorry for my honest opinion. Nice stone though!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!!!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 3:12:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

That would drive me crazy, and I have to be honest, that spinel is too nice for that setting. I would reset it. Sorry for my honest opinion. Nice stone though!!
Your honest opinion is always welcome TL! I know, the setting is kinda iffy. I mostly bought the ring because the price was a steal for the spinel alone. When I get an idea of what I might prefer it set in, I''ll probably reset it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s why I mentioned the setting, since I had a feeling you bought it for the stone, and the stone is so very nice.
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m pretty much a novice when it comes to cutting...what kind of cut is this pink spinel?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not an expert when it comes to cuts, but I would say a rectangular modified cushion.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like just an enlongated cushion to me. That bezel really looks iffy in the closeup pictures. I''d reset it too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto, the workmanship on the ring is too poor for the pretty pink spinel.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 4:04:54 PM
Thritto, the workmanship on the ring is too poor for the pretty pink spinel.

Yeah, well, hand made bezels aren't the most exactly usually, lol. Although OneGarnetGirl has a great reputation, so maybe this spinel just isn't meant for a hand made bezel.

I don't know what the measurements are for the stone though, and anyways, I doubt it'd be easy to find a ready made setting for it, I'd probably have to go custom..

It's a little loose on me anyways, so a reset was inevitable.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I love the spinel, but echo the need to have it set into a different ring to show case it''s beauty :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results