shape
carat
color
clarity

Gave into temptation, bought a Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 6:30:12 PM
Author: icekid
In this case, two is definitely better than one
36.gif

Ladies, maybe we can start a new thread about extinction? I would love to see the JW stones. Always learning!!
Ditto. I''d like this too so that we won''t hijack MTG''s spinel thread, plus the resident cutters will easily see it and be able to comment.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be anxious to see your photos. It looks like a lovely color.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Be sure to take your own photos. I love lavender!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 9:34:14 PM
Author: Chrono
Wow, that''s so quick and inexpensive to set. Maybe I need to find a new jeweller?
Well, I think the price was based on the simplicity of fitting the sapphire into a relatively straightforward prong setting. I''d imagine the price would go up for stones that required more careful handling, or for more intricate settings.

I went to Jared''s first to get a rough estimate, they set half carat stones for around 35$, so I figured that''d be a fair price for a local jeweler too.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
TWO new spinels are always better than one. Three spinels again...
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif
tehee. Congrats!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, well, I bought the second one 2nd hand as a ring. It seemed like too good of a deal to pass up, so I gambled, it's a baby pink spinel from Gem Trader set in a silver bezel ring (love bezels!). I'll post pics of the spinels when they land, hopefully this week!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t wait
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
Thanks for the new thread. I didn't see it until after I had replied here.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the pink spinel from Brad that I'm getting 2nd hand, already set from DBistro. I was told that Brad described it as baby pink. Vendor pic:

The person selling the ring had some pics too, but they are kind of fuzzy. She said it wasn't as purple as the vendor pic might have you believe. I"ll be sure to take pics when the ring arrives though (I do so love playing with my camera!)

GTSpinel.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a happy looking pink. Sounds like you are getting a deal (already set and second hand).

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Oh envy... that looks so beautiful.
1.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely!!!! The color is so pretty!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D''oh! Missed the delivery for the lavender spinel. Oh well, guess I''ll try to swing by the post office tomorrow.

I seriously have yet to experience a successful delivery by USPS, lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So close and yet so far. Well, tomorrow isn''t that many hours away.
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TWO new spinels. I love the shape of the second one. And the color.

You are making me look thrifty. Think my husband will believe that I''m thrifty ''cause I only bought one spinel? Hope the delivery/pickup goes well today and you get your stone.
21.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picked up the lavender spinel! It is so lovely, I can see why spinels are popular here!

The cut is great, lot of scintillation. The color is a steely violet-blue outside, and a soft lavender inside. Love it! Will take pics later this afternoon.

As far as extinction, it does show that half dark effect in some lighting. But the stone is otherwise great and the price was fantastic, so i''m keeping it. I''m expecting the pink spinel ring sometime this week, if I like it a lot then I probably won''t set this spinel right away. I only have so many fingers unfortunately!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 11:31:58 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Here''s the pink spinel from Brad that I''m getting 2nd hand, already set from DBistro. I was told that Brad described it as baby pink. Vendor pic:

The person selling the ring had some pics too, but they are kind of fuzzy. She said it wasn''t as purple as the vendor pic might have you believe. I''ll be sure to take pics when the ring arrives though (I do so love playing with my camera!)
Lovely stone, I bet it is gorgeous IRL!!! Who''s Brad???

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 11:40:45 AM
Picked up the lavender spinel! It is so lovely, I can see why spinels are popular here!

The cut is great, lot of scintillation. The color is a steely violet-blue outside, and a soft lavender inside. Love it! Will take pics later this afternoon.

As far as extinction, it does show that half dark effect in some lighting. But the stone is otherwise great and the price was fantastic, so i''m keeping it. I''m expecting the pink spinel ring sometime this week, if I like it a lot then I probably won''t set this spinel right away. I only have so many fingers unfortunately!
Glad to hear that you like the new stone! Can''t wait for pics :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 10:25:44 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
TWO new spinels. I love the shape of the second one. And the color.

You are making me look thrifty. Think my husband will believe that I''m thrifty ''cause I only bought one spinel? Hope the delivery/pickup goes well today and you get your stone.
21.gif

Hehe, I''m trying to be thrifty. I''m still in school so i''m mostly growing my early gem collection be being an opportunist and looking for good deals here and there when I can. I got both these spinels for just under 100$. Yay for honest vendors on eBay!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry stepcutnut, Brad is from The Gem Trader.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 12:15:10 PM
Sorry stepcutnut, Brad is from The Gem Trader.
No sorry needed, after looking at the photo again I figured it out :) Excited to see it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No sun today
7.gif
Here are some quick shots though. Pardon the dirty handprints, the stone has no visible inclusion except for the one right near the cutlet, you can clearly see it in all photos, hard to see in real life though. The top two were shaded by my hand, bottom two werent.

lavspinel1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some hand shots coming up. I don''t know what''s with the blue flashes..I''m wearing black and green..lol.

handshotlavspin.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hand montage

lavspinelmont.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured out the blue, it''s the window (it''s overcast outside, kinda bluish).
I know I said I''m not planning to set it soon...but if I were to..what color do you think would be nice?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s very pretty, and I like it better than the vendor''s photo!! Congratulations!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 4:13:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
That''s very pretty, and I like it better than the vendor''s photo!! Congratulations!
Thanks TL! I heard rumor that you have some spinels coming your way as well...? Hehe.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, specs!
It''s 1.2 ct, 7.35x5.9mm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results