carat
color
clarity

(Future) Whitby Jet protects (x2)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last edited:
i had to google voltron -perhaps a good exchange on Portman Pat

im a couple of years too old for the transformers cartoon - but my sister loved Jem and Jem was on after Transformers
but that first transformers movie blew both mine and Gary's minds
my favourite was Ironhide the ute (pickup)
my favourite piece of the movie is where Optimus Prime and the Autoboots are driving toward the Hoover dam in convoy on the highway - (we are a GM family)

Oh man, I loved Jem and the Holograms!! Too funny... :lol-2:

I love critter jewelry, so I'm definitely biased! I do think the color is realistic, but I'm fairly certain it is dyed chalcedony. So just keep that in mind. Sometimes with these types of whimsical pieces, treated stones don't bother me. Also, they appear to be the same piece, with the one in the US being almost 3x the cost. The other is coming directly from China. They give the size of the stones, but I would definitely ask for the dimensions of the entire piece, just to be sure it works for your project. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love critter jewelry, so I'm definitely biased! I do think the color is realistic, but I'm fairly certain it is dyed chalcedony. So just keep that in mind. Sometimes with these types of whimsical pieces, treated stones don't bother me. Also, they appear to be the same piece, with the one in the US being almost 3x the cost. The other is coming directly from China. They give the size of the stones, but I would definitely ask for the dimensions of the entire piece, just to be sure it works for your project. :)

thank you
i value and trust your opinion

i got an etsy messages so i just checking size now ....

.......it was just an acknowledgment of my meaasage saying they will get back to me ...

i looked at butterflies, dragonflies, ladybirds and snakes before looking at spiders
i really want colour otherwise -because we are trying to get away from mourning jewlery and into living ! and i don't think a black spider would help :lol-2:
although i saw some nice pearl ones but the nicest ones were all faux :boohoo: and yes i could change out the pearl - but this peoject already has more than enough steps :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn't that how it always starts? You wants something small and tiny and before you know it you're all...
1657452169862.png

oh you made me laugh :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2:
thank you =)2

did you ever play the Sims PC game ?
i just liked building and furnishing the houses but my Sims family always became unhappy because their houses got too cluttered

Gary will poke his head into our guest room and say ah the Sims !

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s such a shame we live on opposite sides of the world @Daisys and Diamonds, I’ve got boxes and boxes of beads and findings and it’d be fun going through them together.

I have got my set ‘upside down’ garnet jewellery now, but haven’t had time to photograph them for you.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
did you ever play the Sims PC game ?
Yes.
To the point where it’s installed on my pc right now as well.
Last time I played I made a single guy who was so introverted, his environment meter dropped to 0 the second he stepped out of his house. He made friends with all the local cats and never felt the need to interact with a human being.
I felt a deep emotional connection to that man, especially after the pandemic experience. :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s such a shame we live on opposite sides of the world @Daisys and Diamonds, I’ve got boxes and boxes of beads and findings and it’d be fun going through them together.

I have got my set ‘upside down’ garnet jewellery now, but haven’t had time to photograph them for you.

well thanks for the thought, we need teleporters to be invented asap it would be a ton of fun !!!
And beleave me i could defiantly benifit with sitting down with someone who speaks 'findings' :lol-2:

and thanks to you and @Avondale for reading about my odd little projects

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes.
To the point where it’s installed on my pc right now as well.
Last time I played I made a single guy who was so introverted, his environment meter dropped to 0 the second he stepped out of his house. He made friends with all the local cats and never felt the need to interact with a human being.
I felt a deep emotional connection to that man, especially after the pandemic experience. :lol-2:

undesided on what kind of reaction 'like' to give you on that one :lol-2:

i always ignored my Sims people to the point social services always knocked on the door and took the kids away and they was always flies buzzing around

i once brought an upgrade, its the first and last PS game i ever paid for
got it home and it was faulty and wouldn't play, but you can't return things like that here so i was out on the $$$$$$ so never again will i pay for a game
and Bruce Springsteen (whom i do pay for) uses up all my memory so no space for games
but i miss those houses !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am reminded of that saying
the whole is worth more than the sum of the parts
this does not seem to apply to this project

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ms Green Agate Spider is 26mm x 18mm so a smaller brooch but medium sized pendent ?
the York rose pendent in the set i would have prefered to buy is 18x12mm only because it cam come in a set with the earings but i think its now too small
the larger one is 30x19 so sligtly bigger than the spider
the earings are 28x12mm (but maybe that includes thr drop) that i want to use to bridge the jet beads to the paperclip chain

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no ! :lol-2:
im back with the jet :lol-2:

Elizebth the moss agate spider arrived today
i gotta say i love her and she seems to be a perfect size and she defiantly gives life back to the jet
i think i still want to keep her as a brooch so ill have to buy some of those converter thingies
i love her green colour and also the large table of the abdomen stone
20220728_143210.jpg 20220728_141807.jpg
now just need to buy the paperclip chain and the jet York roses

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no ! :lol-2:
its me and my jet again ! :lol-2:
i wish someone else was doing a jet something :(2

oh well, it keeps me off the streets i surpose :lol-2: :lol-2:

this thing keeps ticking over in my mind when i go to bed
i like to think the subconscious mind is working on an aesthetically pleasing solution when im in the land of Zzzzzzzzz

so im rethinking the Celtic inspired pendent on the fascated one
ive definatly desided to ditch the extender beads and go for paperclip chain
so playing off the paperclip vibe i saw this York rose in Jet

so ive thrown the budget out the window because if this doesn't look as envisioned i can see myself wearing these pieces

Screenshot_20220624-182757.png Screenshot_20220624-182839.png

t Screenshot_20220624-183451.png

just want to have this on the same page - i use this thread like a note book :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just looking at the generous size of Elizebth (conspired to the larimar octy) and then the York roses i still havevto deaide on i think this is going to be a statement piece :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know i dont feel so bad this thread and these projects are taking ages because it doesnt seem unusual from our PS community at all =)2

i keep saying i dont want these soon to be new remade necklaces to be mouring - wanting them to have a happy life with me

but i was just on the wear pearls for the Queen thread and ive been thinking ..
of course it would have helped to have had this thought sooner ....as the funeral is very late tomorrow night our time
but i could string the jet with some pearls as a temporary tribute to HM
but of course i never get around to buying any pearl thread because im too sacred it will be too hard for me

but i could order something locally and string something up for NZ's memorial service which is a week latter ....
i mean no one outside of PS and the cats will ever see it
does it matter if i tie the end in a bow that will be easy to undo ?

so pearls are what?
2.5 to 4 on the mohs scale and jet is 3.5 to 4 and its not like the are top shelf pearls its not really going to hurt for one night of sitting in a chair blubbering at the tv

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
1663465300203.png
i have no idea if this is right or not
my calalpers have a flat battery - not that i know how to work them anyway
but the jet has quite big holes and i think from ordering pearls from wen i chose potatos with bigger holes ??

you know i dont feel so bad this thread and these projects are taking ages because it doesnt seem unusual from our PS community at all =)2

i keep saying i dont want these soon to be new remade necklaces to be mouring - wanting them to have a happy life with me

but i was just on the wear pearls for the Queen thread and ive been thinking ..
of course it would have helped to have had this thought sooner ....as the funeral is very late tomorrow night our time
but i could string the jet with some pearls as a temporary tribute to HM
but of course i never get around to buying any pearl thread because im too sacred it will be too hard for me

but i could order something locally and string something up for NZ's memorial service which is a week latter ....
i mean no one outside of PS and the cats will ever see it
does it matter if i tie the end in a bow that will be easy to undo ?

so pearls are what?
2.5 to 4 on the mohs scale and jet is 3.5 to 4 and its not like the are top shelf pearls its not really going to hurt for one night of sitting in a chair blubbering at the tv

Your posts always make me smile... I love this thought. You can always string the necklace on temporary silk and attach it to ribbon (so you can tie a bow in the back). If you were making a pearl necklace to keep, I'd suggest using polyester thread instead of silk. I know silk is the preferred material, but it stretches over time, which means it will have to be restrung more often. Polyester stays put, and wears like iron. And it comes in all colors!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your posts always make me smile... I love this thought. You can always string the necklace on temporary silk and attach it to ribbon (so you can tie a bow in the back). If you were making a pearl necklace to keep, I'd suggest using polyester thread instead of silk. I know silk is the preferred material, but it stretches over time, which means it will have to be restrung more often. Polyester stays put, and wears like iron. And it comes in all colors!

thank you dear friend
i think im going to get this
it comes threaded, its $4 (ill buy two) and the courier is $6 so it should get here in time
its a total guess -and i no i do not have good history with guesswork ...
but it will be good practice and the Queen was a very practile person and growing up in WW2 she did not like waste

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i think the polyester is going to be an excelent choise for all my preminate bead necklaces as its an annaul exspence i dont want if i cant do it neat enough myself
and im thinking one can shower (not shampoo) in polysteer ?

i think the polyester is going to be an excelent choise for all my preminate bead necklaces as its an annaul exspence i dont want if i cant do it neat enough myself
and im thinking one can shower (not shampoo) in polysteer ?

So I would advise against wearing pearls in the shower. As the old adage goes, "pearls should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off." :praise: But to answer your question, water shouldn't affect the polyester. Silk is organic, and so it degrades in a way synthetic fibers will not.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this thread may be on the move again as ive found a local lady who can knot and doesnt cost the earth

i think this is what i was up to :lol-2:
20220707_165832-jpg.894831
the pink ones
i beleave we were going to cal her Diana
just have to get Gary to get those horrible gross fake gold findings out of the Whitby jet
:lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I would advise against wearing pearls in the shower. As the old adage goes, "pearls should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off." :praise: But to answer your question, water shouldn't affect the polyester. Silk is organic, and so it degrades in a way synthetic fibers will not.

good point on the pearls
we do have horrible hard water here

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so i thought i had found a lady to do my knotting
but two weeks ago her mum had a heart attach so she is not taking on more work right nowso she can look after mum (the mum is ok but is elderly)
she did recomend her brother

turns out her brother is the jewler off the main street that had the rose quartz pendent in the window i admired a while ago
she said he is reasonably priced .......?

well at least l i wont have to fight with a findings order any more

also the ugly gold coloured eye pins of the jet beads that i wasnt able to remove,
i showed Gary a bead yesterday and he just snipped it off effortlessly with some little old pliers - i had tried that but was too weak, so maybe he can do the rest today if i have time to get them out before i run for the bus to work

so i guess im taking in the jet and the rose quartz next week

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hallelujah !
i got those awful findings out
i think Gary was just worried he would break a bead
my hands are killing me
but ive got it strung up in order and am off to see this guy down town tomorrow
his sister came into work last week (the mum is getting better after the heart attack)
She told me her brother sends the stringing out but that the lady is good and once the mum is better she will be stringing again (dang, i threw out her number)

its long considering it isnt knotted yet, and i wish the rose quartz was a bit deeper in colour, but i just want to wear it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
future project no more
the Jet and rose quartz is in being strung and knotted with a nice big SS clasp being made
homer_woohoo.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
no pictures :(2
but just strung up my Malachite with the left over Jet and some gold filled spacer beads

Bonus jet necklace, just imangine with gold spacers
20220607_204003-jpg.891277

happy-cute-girl-cartoon-vector-illustration-66941908.jpg

it looks so good i need to get my phone working
not bad for leftovers
will take it in to be knotted next friday
one day i might just replace the gold filled with 10 karat and buy 8 more Malachite beads but right now im just using what i got to make it wearable
20220514_200338-jpg.888216

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
going to see the jewler Craig tomorrow on the way to work to take in the next necklace that needs reworking
dont think the jet and rose quartz will be finished as he had to order in thicker cord and make the catch but you never know ......

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this thread may be on the move again as ive found a local lady who can knot and doesnt cost the earth

i think this is what i was up to :lol-2:
20220707_165832-jpg.894831
the pink ones
i beleave we were going to cal her Diana
just have to get Gary to get those horrible gross fake gold findings out of the Whitby jet

finished and on my neck as i type !!!!!
knotted with black thread
with a nice large silver clasp

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i need saved from myself :lol-2:
the Jet is so light and comfortable to wear i guess ive fallen in love with it:kiss2:

.... :loopy:
i may be about to buy some more beads ....:doh:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i use this thread like a note pad :lol-2:

rethinking the 2nd jet necklace - the fascated bead one
seeing as i have more fascated jet comming ...
im thinking about making it a longer necklace like i beleave it once possibly was
am going to order some fascated silver beads
still keen to have some sort of whimsy element to give it life .....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results