(Future) Whitby Jet protects (x2)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well all this jet arrived
what on earth am i planning on doing with it ? :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the fascated jet arrived yesterday, they look genuine
im really happy ive been looking for this for at least 2 years and i will now not have to use chain to extend the necklace
all i need to do now is find a central element for a pendant and try to put some life into it
1694664383957.png
this is the etsy picture, they dont quite look like this, but they are 100% perfect for what i want, they are 8mm

of course now i will have more leftover jet.......... :lol:
might just string it up with some pearls or something simple and inexpensive

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wish someone else loved Jet
even the jewler who has his lady stringing them up for me asked me if i was attending a lot of funerals
1694664532707.jpeg

not sure if that's young Prince Arthur or Prince Alfred but i do love the young man with the watch chain
at least they are touching each other, HM does not look the huggy type

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm excited to see your creations!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw man... Jet is so pretty especially when faceted! They look beautiful! I don't hang out much over here because when I do, I get the urge to buy something (I have 3 boxes of somethings I don't need to buy nothing...lol)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds
I was in a bead and mineral shop today and I saw all this jet!
I took pics for you. It is beautiful and lighter in weight than I expected.

The camera makes them look brownish, but they are not. They are a gorgeous charcoal black!
The tags didn't state the origin of the material, so no idea if they are from Whitby.
IMG_20230914_143122251.jpg

IMG_20230914_143131258.jpg

These strands below were on a clearance rack because some of the beads were cracked.
IMG_20230914_144757561.jpg

Here is just a small portion of the store.
IMG_20230914_143137145.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds
I was in a bead and mineral shop today and I saw all this jet!
I took pics for you. It is beautiful and lighter in weight than I expected.

The camera makes them look brownish, but they are not. They are a gorgeous charcoal black!
The tags didn't state the origin of the material, so no idea if they are from Whitby.
IMG_20230914_143122251.jpg

IMG_20230914_143131258.jpg

These strands below were on a clearance rack because some of the beads were cracked.
IMG_20230914_144757561.jpg

Here is just a small portion of the store.
IMG_20230914_143137145.jpg
wooooooow !!!!!!!!!!! where would you start in a place like that !!!:kiss2:

it was the weight that won me over
i was so surprised when it was knotted up how lovely and light it was
im going to get a rope made at some stage (soon) with gold filled spacer beads

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I've had a pair of jet earrings on my eBay watch list for the longest time. You're not alone!

i hope you get them
the lack of weight would make them really great earrings

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wooooooow !!!!!!!!!!! where would you start in a place like that !!!:kiss2:

it was the weight that won me over
i was so surprised when it was knotted up how lovely and light it was
im going to get a rope made at some stage (soon) with gold filled spacer beads

I'd love to find a genuine Victorian jet strand or earrings!
I'll be looking more closely in the thrift stores, now that I know what it looks and feels like.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds I've had a pair of jet earrings on my eBay watch list for the longest time. You're not alone!

Those are very beautiful! I will definitely keep an eye out for something similar in the future.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd love to find a genuine Victorian jet strand or earrings!
I'll be looking more closely in the thrift stores, now that I know what it looks and feels like.

one small piece of advice. ;)2make sure the necklace you find fits :lol:
sigh
caused me so much trouble.
mind you now i know more i suspect my antique jet were probably longer necklaces and were shortened at some point (using very ugly findings i might add)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so in the middle of the night i woke up thinking about the new jet
these new jet strands im pretty sure are Acoma Jet from New Mexico
i mean this doesnt matter as its still lignite as opposed to French jet which is glass and hopefully better quality than Spanish Jet who's low quality helped bring an end to the English jet industry back in the day
i think the very first strand i brought was Whitby Jet, that i used on my necklace with the rose quartz, they were more expensive
but its not going to matter where they are from, they are such lovely beads

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
picture of me wearing an actual finished piece !
i like the length and i love the clasp, sorry bad photo so you cant see it, but its good sized and easy to get on and off

it does hang nicely just im contorted trying to take the photo on laptop
WIN_20231109_12_07_39_Pro.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
picture of me wearing an actual finished piece !
i like the length and i love the clasp, sorry bad photo so you cant see it, but its good sized and easy to get on and off

it does hang nicely just im contorted trying to take the photo on laptop
WIN_20231109_12_07_39_Pro.jpg

Ok, when you get a chance, we need close-ups! And pics of the larimar too!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so i had some jet left over (before i brought all that extra jet recently ) from the lot i brought to extend my jet -the necklace that now has the rose quartz
i think these leftovers are Navajo rather than Whitby
i strung it up with some old and kinda ugly tiny coral beads with some inexpensive pearls while i was watching Queen Elizabeth's funeral (cant rush these things)
it reminds me of map of the London underground
i finally took it in to be knotted today
i have a tiny (but hopefully mighty) rose gold filled magnetic clasp for it
i kinda like it, its definaty a case of The whole is greater than the sum of the parts
there is enough coral left to make a bracelet if the necklace turns out to my liking

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well its a new year and ive had a bit of a clear out mentally and physically jewlery project wise
once again using this thread as a note book of ideas

i want to hurry up and make things wearable to a standard where i will actually wear them but in the most cost effective manner
so im thinking as my most important consideration regarding the other jet necklace is to one. make it fit and two. happy it up (not mourning)
so im thinking i may just buy some chunky gold filled fascated beads as spacers, mourning jewlery was silver not gold, i would still like some sort of a natural living element but we shell see what it looks like with gold spacers

here is the left over jet necklace i talked about in the above post
its not knotted, i really wanted knotts between the jet and the (whispering ) pearls but oh well, lets see how much wear it gets before i get too carried away, and even though i now know it looks nothing like the London underground, i do rather love it, its so light to wear
image.thumb.jpg.7b62b5d9bc0dd5ebd00ccac51236757e.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well its a new year and ive had a bit of a clear out mentally and physically jewlery project wise
once again using this thread as a note book of ideas

i want to hurry up and make things wearable to a standard where i will actually wear them but in the most cost effective manner
so im thinking as my most important consideration regarding the other jet necklace is to one. make it fit and two. happy it up (not mourning)
so im thinking i may just buy some chunky gold filled fascated beads as spacers, mourning jewlery was silver not gold, i would still like some sort of a natural living element but we shell see what it looks like with gold spacers

here is the left over jet necklace i talked about in the above post
its not knotted, i really wanted knotts between the jet and the (whispering ) pearls but oh well, lets see how much wear it gets before i get too carried away, and even though i now know it looks nothing like the London underground, i do rather love it, its so light to wear
image.thumb.jpg.7b62b5d9bc0dd5ebd00ccac51236757e.jpg

I love this color combination... red, white and black. And they are all organic gems!
What a great natural vibe, and this necklace goes with everything!!
And I'll have a piece of custard pie:)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this color combination... red, white and black. And they are all organic gems!
What a great natural vibe, and this necklace goes with everything!!
And I'll have a piece of custard pie:)

if i could have made amber work i would have added some of that too but i do have a predispossion to make things look too busy
ill try and remember to get you a picture of the custard pie this week
=)2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A picture would be such a tease!
My mom used to make custard pie when I was a kid. It was always my favorite.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Autumn in New England remember when we had so much fun on your lovely rainbow thread
do you remember me showing you some Malachite beads ?
well i put them with some of the left over new small round jet beads and some gold filled spacers - if i dont say so myself it looks great ! and it is so light
i took it in to be knotted today
there is just enough left for a bracelet

i have been thinking about the fascated jet necklace - the one i wanted to bring life to so as not to be mourning jewlery
my aim this year is to just hurry up and make stuff wearable for as little extra cost as possible so i can pursue new projects
im going to just buy diamond cut gold filled spacer beads - mourning jewellery used silver, ill just keep my eye out for a little something in the way of an animal or maybe afish pendant

@Autumn in New England remember when we had so much fun on your lovely rainbow thread
do you remember me showing you some Malachite beads ?
well i put them with some of the left over new small round jet beads and some gold filled spacers - if i dont say so myself it looks great ! and it is so light
i took it in to be knotted today
there is just enough left for a bracelet

i have been thinking about the fascated jet necklace - the one i wanted to bring life to so as not to be mourning jewlery
my aim this year is to just hurry up and make stuff wearable for as little extra cost as possible so i can pursue new projects
im going to just buy diamond cut gold filled spacer beads - mourning jewellery used silver, ill just keep my eye out for a little something in the way of an animal or maybe afish pendant

Please show it to us when you get it back!!
dothewave.gif

You already know I love malachite, and I prefer either jet or spinel for black beads (because onyx is dyed). I loved our rainbow thread... perhaps we should bring her back from the grave!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please show it to us when you get it back!!
dothewave.gif

You already know I love malachite, and I prefer either jet or spinel for black beads (because onyx is dyed). I loved our rainbow thread... perhaps we should bring her back from the grave!

your lovely thread did get some action while you were away, but its got very high end- which is lovely and beautiful
but of late on PS it seems all the ladies who used to post more affordable bling have all dissapaired -maybe its the economy ???
i mean the economy is sh*t here but its not going to be like this for ever, i like to dream while im planning my more budget pieces
i mean i still want to ogle at the high end beautiful PS quality level, but i also want to see the fun and affordable pieces
i could not post my odd little bits and pieces even in fun, it would have been laughable but not at all funny
i dont want to be the tragic church mouse/ ugly step sister around here

the good news is like you, the jeweller is sure my malachite is not fake,(he has some very interesting pieces he has made from it) i had been a bit worried because i had to buy some more to finish it off and it was from a different vendor

in saying that we need to get brown into that rainbow -perhaps in the orange slot ?

i could not post my odd little bits and pieces even in fun, it would have been laughable but not at all funny

This would never, ever happen. I assure you, because that person would then have to contend with me.
boxinggy2.gif

But in all seriousness, I've unabashedly posted my inexpensive beads here. I love them just the same! If it's colorful and natural, I'm in, regardless of the value.
hi501.gif

Speaking of which, did I ever show you this necklace I made? I love fluorite, but it's way too soft to wear on the hand. So I graduated some chunky beads. I think this entire necklace cost $25 to make (including the sterling components).

Fluorite graduated color nugget beaded necklace.JPG

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This would never, ever happen. I assure you, because that person would then have to contend with me.
boxinggy2.gif

But in all seriousness, I've unabashedly posted my inexpensive beads here. I love them just the same! If it's colorful and natural, I'm in, regardless of the value.
hi501.gif

Speaking of which, did I ever show you this necklace I made? I love fluorite, but it's way too soft to wear on the hand. So I graduated some chunky beads. I think this entire necklace cost $25 to make (including the sterling components).

Fluorite graduated color nugget beaded necklace.JPG

oh that is lovely
very modern, the colours are beautiful
right now im looking at those tiny carved rose gemstone beads - i have seen some similar in fluorite
i dont think this is a bead
1712380161393.png

hang on, this more like it
see i will have some fascated small (new) jet beads left over, i think because it was once living, i hate to waste them (they break if you stand on them BTW)
what do you think of these?
i was just making kumera -(sweet potato) and spud mash and i am thinking orange with the black jet

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

If anyone were to think anything of the sort about you - you, who have been nothing but kind and gracious towards everyone - then they'd need to have their priorities checked and their values re-examined.

oh that is lovely
very modern, the colours are beautiful
right now im looking at those tiny carved rose gemstone beads - i have seen some similar in fluorite
i dont think this is a bead
1712380161393.png

hang on, this more like it
see i will have some fascated small (new) jet beads left over, i think because it was once living, i hate to waste them (they break if you stand on them BTW)
what do you think of these?
i was just making kumera -(sweet potato) and spud mash and i am thinking orange with the black jet

That giant fluorite rose is GORGEOUS!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If anyone were to think anything of the sort about you - you, who have been nothing but kind and gracious towards everyone - then they'd need to have their priorities checked and their values re-examined.

oh thank you
but no, no one has said anything =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results