shape
carat
color
clarity

(Future) Whitby Jet protects (x2)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope this is the right forum
im confident its genuine Jet although i very much doubt the rather ugly settings are origonal or antique

i over payed x2

Both lengths are way too short for me - its not chocker or collar length- its more middle ages/ weird sex fettish torture length - neither will even do up on me - i need about another 6 inches give or take a bead

ive never even reopened the package since i got them, till today
They are actually nicer than i remember (possibly because ive forgot how much i actually paid)

Anyway im just planning future projects so when i place a bead order i can kill a few birds with the one stone
im not going to be broke forever and i want to hit the ground running

So if anyone has the time in the busy lead up to Christmas or when ever i appteated any ideas or thoughts

Anyway im wondering how i can extend them ?

The one with the round beads has rather grown on me (i know one day i need Wilma Flintstone pearls)

The jet is in really good condition and is more satin than matt ....so

*Im thinking satin finish silver beads in graduating sizes ever 2 jet beads ?

*Or i think i really want pearls but for the size of the jet i think it would be too exspensive to match the condition of the jet to the quality of the pearls ?
I havn't really desided if i want the added beads to be a complimentary colour or a contrasting colour

Im going to just be getting it reset in silver (as opposed to that gross plated what ever it is at the moment

* or tourquoise beads - but i would want beautuful blue tourquoise and it might be too exspensive

*or amethyst beads

* or pink quartz

*or maybe even amber or red garnet
but I think i prefer the idea of an opaque stone

Attachments

• 20201215_194234.jpg
    20201215_194234.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 111

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take dreadful pictures ....
(I buy my phones with music quality not picture quality top of my list ;)2 )

Anyway anyway
this is the 2nd one

i gotta admit ive been very taken with some (who am i kidding - all) of @MakingTheGrade 's projects

these are graduated fasceted jet
again more satin that mat so probably not mourning jewlery
Again i need at least 6 more inches but im keen for longer

Any ideas ?
Please and thank you

I'd get this one knotted
im not at all keen on the little spacer beads in between so I'll need for length again
20201215_194248.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha aw thanks!
If you think you’d like the pearl look you can get some swarvoski pearls to try out. They look pretty high quality in person

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definatly want to go with an opaque stone
i came across strawberry quartz
Screenshot_20210114-140913.png I though it might be worth the risk rather than get a rose quartz that is more white than pink
Havn't seen anything over 14mm though

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I love the strawberry quartz! I've never seen pink with speckles, only the clear with red speckled faceted stones.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the strawberry quartz! I've never seen pink with speckles, only the clear with red speckled faceted stones.

Ive never even heard of it before but i love strawberries :mrgreen2:

Not that i want a red colour, ill just pick the pinker ones i like best that match - providing i can get bigger beads

Hmmmm is the spackle why its called strawberry quartz ?

They are cheap enough
I want to do a long station necklase with rose quartz so maybe ill just use these instead

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I admit i don't know what im doing :lol:
I don't want to cheapen the antique Whitby jet with cheaper stones but i also don't want to unbalance the cost the other way either

I was also thinking the Edison type pearls
You know if i dont win lotto and can't get the Taiwanese gem silica :lol:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Ive never even heard of it before but i love strawberries :mrgreen2:

Not that i want a red colour, ill just pick the pinker ones i like best that match - providing i can get bigger beads

Hmmmm is the spackle why its called strawberry quartz ?

They are cheap enough
I want to do a long station necklase with rose quartz so maybe ill just use these instead

This is where I first heard of it and what I thought itvlooked like. Screenshot_20210113-204446_DuckDuckGo.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't jet too soft to even wear? As coal, it's ridiculously soft, right? I don't think I would string quartz-y gems next to it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn't jet too soft to even wear? As coal, it's ridiculously soft, right? I don't think I would string quartz-y gems next to it.
Agreed and good point

but Its not quite a station necklase
it has those findings that screw in then some chain
I was going to replicate that but in silver so nothing will touch the jet

The fascated necklae im going to get it knotted like pearls ...im hoping that will be enough

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point! Me too!

I just hate it sitting there unwarn (well both of them)
I really doubt the one with the round beads is antique - the jet is completly perfect and the findings look modern
The fascated necklase maybe - its quite a bit too short

I thought about adding a pendent and Ive looked on line at Whitby Jet in actually Whitby England but i see a lot of modern styles - i mean i don't want morning jewlery but i don't want a complete mismatch of styles and eras either, (but also its in UK pounds and i avoid UK pounds where ever possible) - because if its ugly ill never wear it
and the whole point is to make it wearable so I'll wear it

When i originally brought them i had invisinged (possibly in a drunken moment) to merge them into one necklase but that is just not visually appealing (what was i thinking ???)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am an idiot :x2
Have i learnt nothing in my time here on PS hanging out from you fine and knowledgeable people ?:doh:
schol-no.gif

So i was being checky and posted by whitby jet on the wonderful rainbow gem thread :lol-2:
And then i thought what the heck ill google trade me and someone was selling some 'whitby' jet but saying it could be French jet !!! :angryfire:
Hello its glass or its not !

Then i thought while im here ill google
Fasciated beads are really hard to fine
so ...i thought i found some :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: ...from a place i had already looked at for my citrene beads after the first lot were too small
It said only one strand left and in 2 people's baskets
I completly panicked and:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Brought it

its some sort of crystal:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:
I guess im making black xmas decorations this year

The freight is $20.
So no chocolate for a month :boohoo:

Screenshot_20220420-185331.png

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thinl im ordering this as a pendent fot the fasciated one
ive given up on finding more jet beads to match so im goimg to just put some silver ones at the back
Screenshot_20220421-153941.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ordered the larimar 10mm
Check

Ordered the round Whitby jet beads
What ever i could get :lol-2:
Check

Ordered the fasciated silver beads
hmmmm
4mm x10 hope that gives me enough length

Waiting on the larimar octy to arrive so i can get an idea of the size to order the Whitby jet one

Next week if i have no bills i will order the clasp (in a bigger finding order)

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Ordered the larimar 10mm
Check

Ordered the round Whitby jet beads
What ever i could get :lol-2:
Check

Ordered the fasciated silver beads
hmmmm
4mm x10 hope that gives me enough length

Waiting on the larimar octy to arrive so i can get an idea of the size to order the Whitby jet one

Next week if i have no bills i will order the clasp (in a bigger finding order)

If you don't mind my asking, what are you making? If looking for 14K or 18K gold findings and components Rio Grande Jewelry Supply has a nice selection.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don't mind my asking, what are you making? If looking for 14K or 18K gold findings and components Rio Grande Jewelry Supply has a nice selection.

Thank you
Ill check them out

See about 5 years ago i brought two Whitby jet necklaces and they were both too short ...so i thoight i could combine to make a longer one
but
there is always a but when i buy off the internet
They were both too different

fascated
And then round graduated

I now suspect they were both once longer necklaces and had been chopped up and reworked
also they have horrible cheap findings on them

so im just trying to make them wearable
Two necklaces now that both need extending
but i finally found some affordable jet beads and have desided on larimar for the contracting colour on one

the jet i already have is in really good condition - its so light and really shinny

So anyway im just buying stuff to extend and finish them

I'm a sucker for larimar... gets me every time! :kiss2: I hope you'll be sharing your finished pieces with us, my friend!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a sucker for larimar... gets me every time! :kiss2: I hope you'll be sharing your finished pieces with us, my friend!!

....Today i was at work
We had a quiet moment in between the dishes and mashing the eggs
I almost told the lady i was working with about my larimar and jet necklace
But....

Its kind of something i just do with the PS crowd :appl:

....Today i was at work
We had a quiet moment in between the dishes and mashing the eggs
I almost told the lady i was working with about my larimar and jet necklace
But....

Its kind of something i just do with the PS crowd :appl:

lol Same!! Nobody understands the thrill of a new gem buy quite like our PS peeps. :dance:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the larimar octy arrived, definatly too small so I'll have to get the bigger Whitby jet octy i think
So it was a good idea getting the smaller less exspensive laminar octy to guage the size of the smaller jet octy
Im now not 100% sure that the shape of the octy is angular enough but the nature of the beast (modern Whitby jet pendents) seem to be more on the rounded side in general
I would be removing the biggest central fasciated bead to insert the octy
I must say i do like the colour of the larimar with the Whitby jet so im looking forward to the eventual arrival of those round beads
20220512_144836.jpg

Attachments

• 20220512_144848.jpg
    20220512_144848.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220512_143512.jpg
    20220512_143512.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 13

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So im in Yorkshire
Well im surfing the net in Yorlshire
And ive popped my head into the blacl pearl
I dont know if anyone else is reading along
It being black like its cousin coal and all
But i think the shape would be more complimentary
Its almost NZ $150 plus shipping

This lovely Sterling Silver pendant is set with marcasite and locally sourced Whitby Jet. The piece of Whitby Jet measures 6mm x 6mm and the total length of the pendant from the top of the bail is 35mm. The pendant comes on an 18 inch Sterling Silver chain which has been oxidised to set the pendant off beautifully. It is presented in a leatherette gift box and included is a leaflet which has a comprehensive history of Whitby Jet and The Black Pearl shop details.

Screenshot_20220512-215403.png

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results