shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrating appraisal experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newlyengaged11

Rough_Rock
Thanks again to everyone for your responses. I am so impressed by the concern so many have shown for my particular experience and the experience of us consumers in general . . . It is quite heartening. Reading all the responses (particularly those from appraisers) to my post has been very informative, and I know that I will be so much more prepared because of it in the future.

My fiance is bringing my ring back to our jeweler tomorrow - so hopefully that problem will be fixed soon and I can start wearing my ring already!

I had tried to call the appraiser (but of course it is the weekend), so instead I emailed him my concerns and will let you all know how things work out.

Best,
NE11

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I am particularly confused about some aspects of this appraisal. Unmounted stones, as I understand it, are graded by color from the back. If ,as occurred with this appraiser, he, as a trained professional, could not tell if it was a D,E,or F once it was mounted, why pay for a D color stone if you can get an F that facces up like a D for far less and not even an appraiser can tell the difference once it is mounted. He also could not tell the clarity, polish or symmetry with accuracy in this mounted stone.

Is it because he did not have the correct equipment to examine a mounted stone? If so, he should not have charged her for a full appraisal, particularly since he did not compare the GIA plot with the actual stone. Many appraisers charge only about $75 if you just want to know if your stone matches the one in the GIA report.

If an F stone can face up like a D stone once it is set, perhaps color should be judged both unmounted and face down and mounted, even temporarily, face up. There is a tremendous difference in price between an F and a D and I think many buyers would prefer to know the color their stone actually looks face up rather than from the underside that no one sees.

Would most appraisers be as much as 3 shades off on a mounted stone? This could amount to a variance in price of several thousand dollars.I would not have been too happy with this experience and I would like to see more than two appraisers listed in the NYC area since this appraiser has to be one of the two.

She may have gotten a lower price than some appraisers would have charged but it does not seem to me as if she even got what she paid for.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Author Solange

If an F stone can face up like a D stone once it is set, perhaps color should be judged both unmounted and face down and mounted, even temporarily, face up. There is a tremendous difference in price between an F and a D and I think many buyers would prefer to know the color their stone actually looks face up rather than from the underside that no one sees.
Would most appraisers be as much as 3 shades off on a mounted stone? This could amount to a variance in price of several thousand dollars.I would not have been too happy with this experience and I would like to see more than two appraisers listed in the NYC area since this appraiser has to be one of the two.

There are lots of gemologists that feel a diamond can be graded in the mounting. i have learned that I''d rather REQUIRE it to be loose if at all possoble.

I have seen differences between a stone when mounted and when was unset that would vary sometimes more than three grades.

I have seen several stones that were graded J-L color by a lab, but when set they appeared like they were G and H color.

The price differences can be very great - especially in large sizes with high clarity gradings.

Appraiser don''t have X ray vision, and when we do HAVE to grade a stone in a mounting ( because the customer doesn''t want it removed / pr it would be harmful to the setting) appraisers will put on the report that the " diamond was graded insofar as the mounting permitted".

When a customer chooses to have an appraisal done while the gems are still set that disclaimer puts the risk of being incorrect about anything back on the client. I am not sure how well clients really understand how serious it is to have a stone graded while mounted, but obivously you''ve picked up on it. Great question and thought about the issue.

The prices for a color grade are based on the lab reports of such gradings IN THE FACE DOWN position. Face down is the only way the "official" grade is ascertained. How it appears face up can vary a lot, so that is why diamonds are graded face down. Even with loose stones the lab may grade differently. Currently I know of a stone that got a D at GIA, and an E when submitted to AGS. So even the major labs can disagree.

Rockdoc

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your detailed response, Rock Doc. You answered my queston.

However, since diamonds are not considered an investment, I would not want to pay for say an F color if I could buy a J color, save a large amount or get a much larger stone for the price and have it face up when mounted so that even an expert could not tell visually whether it was an F or a J. In other words, I am more interested in the face up appearance of the stone when mounted since I will not be wearing an unmounted stone.

It does not matter to me what all the sophisticated equipment tells me about the color. All I care about is the color that it faces up when mounted and that is the color I want to pay for.

Perhaps appraisers should give customers both the face down color and the face up mounted color so they can make a decision as to whether they want to pay for something even an expert cannot determine once the stone is set.

There have been extensive discussions here about I and J color stones. Now I understand why some people say their J color faces up white and others feel they cannot go below a G. If I had known before I bought my stone that the graded color unmounted was not an actual indicator of how the color would look when mounted, I would have been more concerned about the color appearance when mounted since I have a large stone.

Now I am curious and want to have my stone reappraised mounted to determine what color it appears to be rather than what color it is from the underside.

I am sure there are differences of opinion on this just as there are some who prefer a flawless stone even if they can get a better value or larger stone if they get an eye clean SI. But i just want to pay for what I can see which is wy I bought an eye clean SI2.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious. Did you ever hear from the person who did the appraisal?

leetheway

Rough_Rock
newlyeng

I had similar experience with this appraiser. I think I know who he is from your description. It''s almost comical that I just knew it was the same person.
I was expecting much better service and more information. However, the whole time I felt like he was just trying to rush me out of there.
The whole process made me feel like I just flushed money down the toilet!!!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have seen several stones that were graded J-L color by a lab, but when set they appeared like they were G and H color.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exactly true, Rock Doc!

Just to add a little real life appraiser experience....color grading mounted diamonds require different observational skills. The more mounted diamonds that you see and grade, the more proficient you become at color grading.
Over the past several years, I have seen many diamond engagement rings in 18KT yellow gold that mask the actual true color of the diamond. Faces up near colorless in the mounting, but is actually J-K color and blends into the color of the metal. And to make it even more difficult for the average consumer...the diamond often exhibits strong blue fluorescence, which also makes the diamond appear whiter. The same is true for side diamonds, bead set or bezel set in really yellow 18KT gold....oftentimes the diamonds "appear" near colorless, but are actually "top light brown." This should be readily apparent to any qualified gemologist/appraiser. My point in mentioning this is that even a "savy" diamond shopper may be fooled. And believe me, many HAVE been (buyers remorse). In the course of performing insurance appraisals, we as appraisers, don''t often have the "luxury" of grading a diamond loose. Our job becomes even more difficult attempting to make the correct call everyday in the trenches!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I went to an appraiser to have a diamond appraised a couple of years ago. It was mounted but she didn''t use a master cz set, or anything to determine the color of the diamond. I asked her this and she said she has enough experience to accurately determine the color of my diamond. She simply eyed it. Is this normal practice? She was off by 2 color grades. Other than that which bothered me, she was very professional. She is an appraiser recommended on Pricescope.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 9:32:55 PM
Author: Leila
I went to an appraiser to have a diamond appraised a couple of years ago. It was mounted but she didn''t use a master cz set, or anything to determine the color of the diamond. I asked her this and she said she has enough experience to accurately determine the color of my diamond. She simply eyed it. Is this normal practice? She was off by 2 color grades.

No, this would not be considered normal practice.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto. Some of these appraiser stories are starting to sound like the Twilight Zone.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 10:49:58 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto. Some of these appraiser stories are starting to sound like the Twilight Zone.

I heard worse, experenced worse and seen worse.
Truth is often stanger than fiction.
The good appraisers will see this as a wake up call and see how they can improve.
They will ask themselves could these events have happened in my office and what can I do to make sure they never do.

I have been following this thread with interest but have been reserving comment since my earlier comment about the content of appraisals.
It has been interesting reading and and kewl getting a picture of the personality of each appraiser.
I wish it had been under different circumstances.

The PS forum is about consumers, honest experences being shared and passing on what we have learned are the the heart of the forum.
The soul of the forum is people, experts and consumers alike helping one another thru what can be a stressful time.

Making dismissive remarks about consumers complaints that I believe to be real and honestly given does not play well here and relects very badly on the industry person posting it.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
After reading some of these appraisal stories, I begin to wonder how much one can rely on the information gained from an appraiser. I would assume that I, as a novice, would not notice the difference within a range of 2 or more colors if many trained appraisers cannot.

i had my ring appraised and felt I was overcharged for the amount of time and information I received. I had my stone shipped to a Pricescope recommended appraiser. I had the Sarin and the the GIA report plus anappraisal from the appraiser from Whiteflash, the company from which I bought the ring.

I expected to be present when he did the appraisal. Instead, when I arrived, he had already opened the package and done the appraisal. He charged by the carat and the stone is 4.10. Since I already had all this information plus the Idealscope image, all he really had to do was verify that the stone sent matched the GIA report.

For this he charged $210. He spent about 20 minutes with me and part of the time he was working on something else. When I asked if the stone was worth what I paid for it, he said he would not give me any further information about it unless I wanted to pay another $200.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Making dismissive remarks about consumers complaints that I believe to be real and honestly given does not play well here
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You totally misread my "tongue in cheek remark". What I''m saying is that I find it hard to believe that there are some appraisers out there NOT acting professionally!!! My remark had nothing to do with not believing consumer stories! You need to lighten up and not make unfounded accusations.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 11:41:54 PM
Author: solange
After reading some of these appraisal stories, I begin to wonder how much one can rely on the information gained from an appraiser. I would assume that I, as a novice, would not notice the difference within a range of 2 or more colors if many trained appraisers cannot.

i had my ring appraised and felt I was overcharged for the amount of time and information I received. I had my stone shipped to a Pricescope recommended appraiser. I had the Sarin and the the GIA report Sarin appraisal from the ppraiser from Whiteflash, the company from which I bought the ring.

I expected to be present when he did the appraisal. Instead, when I arrived, he had already opened the package and done the appraisal. He charged by the carat and the stone is 4.10. Since I already had all this information plus the Idealscope image, all he really had to do was verify that the stone sent matched the GIA report.

For this he charged $210. He spent about 20 minutes with me and part of the time he was working on something else. When I asked if the stone was worth what I paid for it, he said he would not give me any further information about it unless I wanted to pay another $200.
$ 210.00 for 20 minutes! ANd then he wanted more to write a report, or was that just a charge a verbal price ?

$ 600.00 an hour? That is worse than rude!

On average I spend about 4 hours per stone, and if the client comes in person can be closer to 10 hours.

Appraisers do ( or should) take into consideration potential liability they might be taking on when they sign a report that is for a high value item, when they set their fees.

For the time I spend the average hourly rate comes out to about $ 20.00.

Rockdoc

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 11:49:33 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Making dismissive remarks about consumers complaints that I believe to be real and honestly given does not play well here

You totally misread my ''tongue in cheek remark''. What I''m saying is that I find it hard to believe that there are some appraisers out there NOT acting professionally!!! My remark had nothing to do with not believing consumer stories! You need to lighten up and not make unfounded accusations.

Im kewl with chalking it up to a misunderstanding, im not the only consumer who took it that way.
Remember that on internet board all we have to go on is the words themselves and things that might play well in person dont always work here.
No harm, no foul back to the subject at hand.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
RockDoc:

His assistant did give me a written report but it had no value of the stone. He said if I wanted a value, even just a verbal value, it would be another $200.

What he gave me was really just a copy of the information I already had that verified this was the same stone in the GIA report. And I spent no more, and probably less than 20 minutes there. We had very little discussion about the stone and he refused to let me look at it under magnification or discuss what the imperfections were.

Actually he tried to dismiss me sooner but a good part of the time was spent with my asking questions which he said he would not answer unless I wanted to pay another $200. We parted with his words that he had given me all the information he was going to for the $210 I had paid.

NanStacy

Rough_Rock
Solange,
These are some really amazing experiences, with lessons that should be taken to heart by all us appraisers!

As far as mounted vs. loose diamond grading, it can only be done correctly with the stone unmounted. Even then, it is a subjective process with more variable than you would normally consider, including what the appraiser had for breakfast. It is important to control as many aspects of the environment as possible, but we have to live with the uncontrollable ones.

With a mounted diamond, the appraiser can probably verify that the diamond is the one described in the cert. If it is a highly regarded cert, that may be all that is really necessary to proceed with an appraisal. But with an "iffy" cert, it is just very hard, if not impossible, to determine how much the mounting is affecting the grade--with both color and clarity.

As far as which diamond to select--one with a high grade, or one with a lower grade that still looks great in the setting, that is a personal choice. The higher grade diamond will always hold value better than a lower grade one, and to a trained eye it will look better. It seems to me that the Pricescope participants understand that great cut (the long-held secret in the diamond trade) will overcome a lot of color, and that inclusions placed where they do not inhibit brilliance from the heart of the stone can be accepted in favor of a lower price. Yet, obvious or not, the value difference is real.

On the other hand, if you don''t clean your diamond every day (well, you brush you teeth every day, don''t you?--and diamond cleaning will only take about 30 seconds out of your morning) the appearance of your diamond will gradually degrade until it is thoroughly cleaned again.

I think most of the Pricescope appraisers belong to one appraisal society or another. In cases of a bad experience, I would suggest first approaching the appraiser to get satisfactory performance or your money back. If the appraiser does not comply, then I strongly suggest lodging a complaint with the appraisal society. And oh, yes. Before you hire any appraiser, go to the society website and make sure they are really credentialed by that society, currently, not once ten years ago, or never. There are convicted felons writing appraisals--and writing appraisal books. They don''t mind faking credentials. Do your due diligence.

I hope Newly''s appraiser will contact her and make it right with her.

Nancy Stacy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2005 2:12:12 AM
Author: NanStacy
If the appraiser does not comply, then I strongly suggest lodging a complaint with the appraisal society. And oh, yes. Before you hire any appraiser, go to the society website and make sure they are really credentialed by that society, currently, not once ten years ago, or never. There are convicted felons writing appraisals--and writing appraisal books. They don''t mind faking credentials. Do your due diligence.

Nancy Stacy
Nancy I believe said appraiser is not a member of any appraisal association or society.

I think it is up to Pricescope consumers to report what they might view as poor performance and do as this person has - report it here for trial by fire.

We are still waiting for the appraiser to make a defence. It is a busy time, but I think it is time he defended himself or resigned as one of those given a free listing.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Solange,

Where you say:

Date: 12/12/2005 11:41:54 PM
Author: solange

I expected to be present when he did the appraisal. Instead, when I arrived, he had already opened the package and done the appraisal.
...it sounds like there was a significant miscommunication at the outset, with respect to expectations. In the other thread, where now not only checklists are discussed, but the idea of a non-compete agreement is re-introduced...it would seem that the idea of a checklist, while designed to foster communication in advance of the appraisal session, wouldn''t probably get at that specific sort of detail (of when to start the session, and to wait for you to be there). Do you think that important piece could have been handled differently, and some of your issues handled had you reached agreement about that with the appraiser in advance of the session (or was it just plainly obvious to you that that should have been the appraiser''s expectation as well as yours?). Certianly, even given that, it seems your appraiser was inappropriately inflexible.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
It was almost two years ago so not everything is fresh in my mind. But I am under the definite impression that the package was to be opened in my presence so that there could be no suspicion of switching stones.
Of course I realize that people have teir stones shipped to out of town appraisers and are not present when the package is opened or the appraisal done. I would not hesitate to do this with one of the highly regarded appraisers on this site and will probably do that in the future. However, I had the stone sent to an appraiser near my home and knew very little about him. I realize I did not get specific enough but i do recall that he said he would open the package in my presence.

smarty33

Rough_Rock
solange,

I am writing as a representative of the firm which, I am informed, carried out the appraisal to which you are referring. I am neither the appraiser in question nor the assistant mentioned. The appraiser is, at this point in time, on assignment in a sensitive part of the country and has no access to the internet and therefore no means by which to respond. The assistant is no longer with us. I have spoken to the appraiser at length about this concerning issue but given the time that has lapsed between the appraisal date and now the recollection of events is limited. In addition, I have not seen the appraisal in question. I do not know your name nor do I know the date on which the appraisal was carried out. I am writing in response to this issue only. We are not the firm cited by the original post in this thread.

OK, that out of the way. I want to offer my sincerest apologies for your unsatisfactory experience. It is absolutely not our normal practice to open shipped items without the client being present. Furthermore, it is absolutely not our normal practice to conduct appraisals in the clients absence without their expressed permission. I can offer no excuses why this happened in your case and to speculate would be pointless. I can assure you though that there was certainly no copying from any of the documentation that accompanied the diamond. A full verification of identity & quality would have taken place. The fact that the information offered in our report matched the information on the accompanying documentation merely serves as testament to the accuracy of these documents. The verification process takes, at minimum, 1 hour to complete. After which there is further time spent on editing and production. With questions and answers the typical total time for a verification of this nature would be no less than 2 hours. Of course you could not have known this having not been given the opportunity to bear witness to, and participate in, the process. If a value is requested in addition to the verification of quality then further time is required to accurately research the marketplace and for this we must charge an additional fee. There is also an issue liability associated with putting a value on an item. This should have been clearly explained to you when we were asked “if the stone was worth what I paid for it”.

We pride ourselves in the services we offer and indeed base our business around repeat appraisals and referrals. The compensation we receive for our services is merely a reflection of the marketplace in which we have chosen to operate. Satisfaction of our clients is absolutely paramount and comes before time and money. Indeed, without client satisfaction we will cease to exist, have lots of time and no money! You were clearly not satisfied with your experience and to this end I would like to offer you one of two things - either 1) A full refund of the fees paid or 2) a complimentary appraisal (inc. replacement value) conducted in your presence.

Respectfully yours,

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RockDoc is a wonderful example of care and concern for the client. How he gets by on a $20 per hour rate is somewhat questionable, but we recognize his dedication to the client. We need to get him a better timekeeper so he can make a few bucks, too. There is a reasonable limit to how much time can be justifed for each assignment. Some appraisers are in too big a hurry, or just don''t look close enough to do a good job. Some balance the requirements and time very well. A diamond can take from 20 minutes to over an hour to properly assess in full, but a lot less time if one does a cursory examination. Then you come to those who can and do every conceivable test in the book regardless of the time or actual necessity. This is great if the fee stays reasonable, but quite overpriced if the fee becomes inordinantly large.

If the client receives all the important information plus all the extra information they requested, then the job is probably done well.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I want to offer my sincerest apologies for your unsatisfactory experience. It is absolutely not our normal practice to open shipped items without the client being present. Furthermore, it is absolutely not our normal practice to conduct appraisals in the clients absence without their expressed permission. I can offer no excuses why this happened in your case -- Smarty33

When I got to your office, the package had been opened and ths stone already appraised. I had called ahead and said I would be about 10 minutes late because I was stuck in a traffic jam and was calling froma cab.

I can see being charged for the extra 10 minutes that the package was sitting there unopened. But unless the package had been opened well in advance, there was no way to account for two hours being spent on this unmouted stone.

I already had a Sarin, GIA reort and a written appraisal value from the appraiser from Whiteflash. In light of all the information provided in the package, and the very short time I spent there, I feel that for $210 I should have at least been able to discuss the imperfections in the stone, see them under magnification and determine if they affected the stone in any way. I only asked for a verbal response as to whether the price was fairv. I did not ask for an exact or written value. i did not feel yhis was worth another $200.
Thank you for our kind offer but i do not want another appraisal or a refund. As you know, I did not identify your firm. I just consider it a less than satisfactory experience. I have more jewelry to appraise and I will go elsewhere.

Thank you for your reply and kind offer.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hm...there are two NYC appraisers recommended, and we''ve just heard about clients who were quite dissatisfied with their experiences with both of them. Maybe it''s time for somebody to recommend a few others?

I went to a third appraiser in NYC, one not on the list, and had what I considered a quite positive experience. But I didn''t have the same needs as some of the PS folks, so I can''t say how well he would have answered them. I had two heirloom pieces that I needed appraised for insurance purposes. I didn''t have any info about them besides "Grandma K. wore this ring for 65 years and I miss her so much!" and "This was Grandma R.''s engagement diamond which she gave me for a graduation present." I didn''t then know enough to ask about angles and fancy equipment, and since the diamonds were old cuts anyway, I don''t know how useful that would have been. He was kind and patient, thoroughly answering the questions I did ask ("How can you tell it''s a transitional cut? What''s the difference between that and a modern cut? Are those diamonds you''re comparing it to? What''s a natural? How would I get the setting repaired?" --things like that). He pointed out damage to the ring and recommended taking it to a jeweler with a laser. I came away with a pretty basic description of the pieces in question: diamond weight, color, clarity, description of the settings, photos of the pieces, the cuts characterized as "good" and as "old European" and "transitional." And he did take a phone call during the appraisal. I didn''t mind that; he was charging me per carat, not per hour, and I sort of enjoyed overhearing hints of somebody else''s exciting diamond purchase.

Now if I were to have my rings appraised again, I would want to know a lot more details about the cut. Perhaps he would be able to tell me, but didn''t because I didn''t ask.

He spent a long time peering at the diamonds and measuring them with calipers and shuffling master stones in and out of his pocket and in and out of their pieces of paper and turning everything around and around, and I felt confident that he was seeing things precisely and making fine distinctions. And he was very sweet and generous with the kleenex when I started sniffling about my Grandma.

smarty33

Rough_Rock
solange

I didn't disagree that the package had been opened and the diamond appraised without you being present. This clearly did happen. I just couldn't offer any explanation why it happened and why, in your case, normal procedure was not followed. It was “almost two years ago” and the appraiser unfortunately just does not recall the events in enough detail.

I took the decision to name our firm based on it being of interest to the thread & forum in general. There have been many positive reviews posted here on Pricescope that have named us so I decided to opt for full disclosure and take the rough with the smooth. I am happy to do this with confidence built from hundreds of satisfied clients.

I offer my apologies once more and wish you well for the coming holiday and for your future appraisal experiences.

Best regards,

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I did not post my experience until now because I do not like to cause anyone to lose business and I know that you have had several satisfied customers on Pricescope.
I only posted when the subject came up and I thank you for your response. Perhaps my experience was due to some extraordinary pressures that day.
Have a happy holiday.

solange

Brilliant_Rock

The price differences can be very great - especially in large sizes with high clarity gradings

Quote by Rockdoc

I hope no one minds but I have copied my question from my post about the appearance of stones when set because I think this is a more appropriate place for it since this is where RockDoc''s quote appears.

Even if cut were a deciding factor, it seems that price difference would be considerable from a j-L color as opposed to a G and H. Also, since the GIA does not give cut quality yet, most people I would think go by color, and clarity and excellent symmetry and polish. Except for people enlightened by Pricescope, cut quality has not been given the emphasis it deserves.

A perfect example is a stone I nearly bought before i listed the dimensions on Pricescope--55 depth and 67 table. This vendor, a family well known in the Diamond Disrict for several decades, extolled the stone because it had a spread that was so much larger than its actual size and told me it was Ideal for that reason. had i not found Pricescope I would have bought it.

There is no doubt that cut quality makes an enormous difference in the appearance of a stone. But is this the only factor that comes into play when a set stone appears so much better grade than when it was unset. Or do certain diamonds which have been graded face down actually look several shades lighter because of the character or nature of the stone when seen face up and in a mounting? In other words, is it only cut quality that explains this disparity? Or do certain stones have this characteristic of facing up better for reasons other than cut quality.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
This has me worried now- I believe the appraiser newlyengaged was talking about did my appraisal too. I had a good experience with him, however his appraisal was included "compliments" of the vendor we bought the stone from. I want to believe that most people are good, so I didnt really question it. But, I have to admit for a moment the thought that this was a little fishy crossed my mine....should I have my diamond reappraised?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 12:28:07 PM
Author: Dani
This has me worried now- I believe the appraiser newlyengaged was talking about did my appraisal too. I had a good experience with him, however his appraisal was included ''compliments'' of the vendor we bought the stone from. I want to believe that most people are good, so I didnt really question it. But, I have to admit for a moment the thought that this was a little fishy crossed my mine....should I have my diamond reappraised?

"COMPLIMENTS"?

Hi Dani.

Can you be a bit more specific in just what these "compliments" were ?

Were these written in the report he issuied, or just verbal while you were present?

I don''t see anything incorrect if an appraiser /gemologist or consultant informs you of a job or product that is well done, or an exceptional product is sold for a very advantageous price, but if you felt something was or is fishy in your mind, why not post it here and you''ll get some opinions from others.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results