shape
carat
color
clarity

Free GIA Essentials Courses

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm not saying I didn't learn things from the GIA Diamond Essentials course. I did.

But aspects of the course were so incredibly outdated, (some lighthearted, like the machines that verify personal checks; others less humorous like the above example of gender-biased salesmanship) that GIAs credibility is undermined.

If GIA hasn't updated the content since the early 1990's, then I'm left wondering if the other information they've presented is current and accurate. It is reasonable to assume that science's understanding of diamonds has evolved in the last thirty years.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Reinvesting into the educational offering they provide should be the norm... Perhaps they feel that (like the proverbial 600 lb gorilla) they don’t have to. However, I would argue that as the industry leader, they have a responsibility to lead the industry! Shocking idea?

Businesses who don’t even attempt to keep up with the competitive landscape wind up stagnating, and are left behind, becoming less and less relevant. I hope that doesn’t happen to GIA, but it would not come as a shock. I’d like to think they will overhaul the courses to not only catch back up to the 21st century, but to lead gemological education into the 22nd.

Perhaps, as MollyMalone mentioned above, I was wrong about the usual cost for the course I took. At $250, in light of google search, it is overpriced by about $249.99 IMO. The primary benefit to me was learning what the sales clerk on the other side of the counter was trained to say, so that I can sidestep ‘used car salesman’ strategies. Isn’t that sad?

Edited to add, I remember back in grad school, the first set of classes were known as ‘weed-outs’ because they were designed to separate the wheat from the chaff, according to one professor of mine (always always always attend cocktail hour with your teachers because that’s where you’ll hear the scuttlebutt). Do you feel more weeded-out by the course you took? Or do you feel it was designed to pique interest to learn more?

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors -- it seems you blew past my
it isn't quite as gagsome as you recall
prompted by the fact that post #114 made it sound as if GIA had actually used the words "little lady' and "little woman."

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had taken the time to spell out at least some of the reasons underlying my
I agree that [an] updating overhaul -- of the platform and content -- would inure to GIA's credit and their students' benefit
so you would have realized I wasn't endorsing slides 11 and 15's "scripts" or mindset.

I'm not saying I didn't learn things from the GIA Diamond Essentials course. I did.

But aspects of the course were so incredibly outdated, (some lighthearted, like the machines that verify personal checks; others less humorous like the above example of gender-biased salesmanship) that GIAs credibility is undermined.

If GIA hasn't updated the content since the early 1990's, then I'm left wondering if the other information they've presented is current and accurate. It is reasonable to assume that science's understanding of diamonds has evolved in the last thirty years.
The course materials refer to the FTC's 2018 revisions of the Jewelry Guides, and IIRC the information about lab-grown diamonds was not passé. So they've not let time totally pass them by. But yes, the general tenor doesn't inspire wholehearted confidence that GIA realizes we're in the 3rd decade of the 21st century.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * Businesses who don’t even attempt to keep up with the competitive landscape wind up stagnating, and are left behind, becoming less and less relevant. I hope that doesn’t happen to GIA, but it would not come as a shock. I’d like to think they will overhaul the courses to not only catch back up to the 21st century, but to lead gemological education into the 22nd.

Perhaps, as MollyMalone mentioned above, I was wrong about the usual cost for the course I took. At $250, in light of google search, it is overpriced by about $249.99 IMO. The primary benefit to me was learning what the sales clerk on the other side of the counter was trained to say, so that I can sidestep ‘used car salesman’ strategies. Isn’t that sad?

Edited to add, I remember back in grad school, the first set of classes were known as ‘weed-outs’ because they were designed to separate the wheat from the chaff, according to one professor of mine (always always always attend cocktail hour with your teachers because that’s where you’ll hear the scuttlebutt). Do you feel more weeded-out by the course you took? Or do you feel it was designed to pique interest to learn more?
GIA did not design the 3 Applied Jewelry Professionals' Essentials courses for you and other well-informed PSers! They are intended (a) for those with little to no knowledge and/or who want the AJP diploma to enhance their resume for a sales-related position, and (b) to serve as a basic common core for those who wish to pursue one of GIA's Graduate programs, or enroll in one or more of the Graduate courses.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today's knowledge session was cool about the mining process with all the photos. Brought it closer to home for me!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished Colored Stones, Just Diamond left to do, woohooo!

Reactions: caf

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS-

For those of you that love gem learning, Rui Galopim is hosting truly wonderful free webinars. You can find the announcements on his Facebook, linked in, Instagram, and here: https://www.cibjo.org/webinars/ (Scroll down a bit; the next one is on pearls.)

They are free, he does two times for each session to accommodate different time zones <3

They are so educational and enjoyable. He really has personality! Not to mention, an utterly vast amount of knowledge. I heartily recommend them!

Chiming in with my thoughts about the courses since I learned about them here on PS and was fortunate to have been able to sign up for them in time!

I learned a few things, especially about CS and lab grown gems, so that was cool. The “sales” parts were just... eyeroll to the extreme. I count myself fortunate that no jeweler ive ever been to has been this ham handed in their sales approach to me. I also really didn’t like their emphasis on “pushing budget” as a sales tactic. It really irritates me when people do this. Also, if I say something like “I’ll think about it and get back to you“ and my jeweler tries to push me into buying by saying “oh let me wrap it up for you” I’d be like “umm... did you not catch the part where I said I’ll think about it and be back?” They talk about “active listening” being so important in retail but their sales sections don’t really demonstrate that imo.

Now I wonder if they actually will send me a certificate? Since I don’t live in the US?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chiming in with my thoughts about the courses since I learned about them here on PS and was fortunate to have been able to sign up for them in time!

I learned a few things, especially about CS and lab grown gems, so that was cool. The “sales” parts were just... eyeroll to the extreme. I count myself fortunate that no jeweler ive ever been to has been this ham handed in their sales approach to me. I also really didn’t like their emphasis on “pushing budget” as a sales tactic. It really irritates me when people do this. Also, if I say something like “I’ll think about it and get back to you“ and my jeweler tries to push me into buying by saying “oh let me wrap it up for you” I’d be like “umm... did you not catch the part where I said I’ll think about it and be back?” They talk about “active listening” being so important in retail but their sales sections don’t really demonstrate that imo.

Now I wonder if they actually will send me a certificate? Since I don’t live in the US?

I live in Canada and have always received them. International shipping is not normal right now though... so... we will wait.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I thought the courses were interesting and I was lucky enough to enroll in all 3. A lot of the stuff I already knew, but I learned a lot of new things too, especially for colored gemstones. I also learned that pearls need exposure to humidity, so I took mine out of a plastic storage container so they could "breathe." The content could definitely use some updating, especially the sales examples. Overall, I enjoyed it and it was a great experience!

Looking forward to getting my certificate so I can back-up my engagement ring recommendations to friends' boyfriends as advice from a GIA AJP!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I received the Diamond Essentials one only. I had assumed I would just get one for the AJP and not 3 separate ones. I have it behind me on all my Zoom calls just for fun (since it has nothing to do with my day job).

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished up my last course woohoo!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
How long is it taking for people to get their certificates? =)2

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long is it taking for people to get their certificates? =)2

I finished my pearls course through GIA and then ages later (June 23) I got an email saying I’d be getting a certificate in the mail. I think it’s going to be a while.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems

You have to register an account, and then when you go to “pay” for the course there is a spot to enter the coupon code. There is also a video that shows how to do it, if you scroll down on that initial page.

CFC01307-F1D9-4625-9A41-375D9429E337.png B164EE28-326D-4363-A69E-1C2B5F6AF09C.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results