shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wearing eau de camphor...lol (no perfume today)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off to NYC now but wearing Mandarine Glaciale Atelier. Fresh citrusy and green and woodsy. Love this. Very light but low longevity but that's OK because then I can put something else on if I want.:bigsmile:

@daneshpastry hope your move went well.

@Arcadian hope you are feeling better. Eau de camphor. LOL.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Off to NYC now but wearing Mandarine Glaciale Atelier. Fresh citrusy and green and woodsy. Love this. Very light but low longevity but that's OK because then I can put something else on if I want.:bigsmile:

@daneshpastry hope your move went well.

@Arcadian hope you are feeling better. Eau de camphor. LOL.

Mandarine Glaciale is a great choice. I am wearing Philosykos today.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the zone with my Aliage. You guys have probably figured out that I tend to wallow in my love of the moment, which is why I don't post a whole bunch.

However, today I'm supposed to get what is a blind buy for me: a very vintage Miss Dior perfume, in the box. It's actually a refill for a purse atomizer - a whole dram and a half. ;-) It was cheap enough to not come close to breaking the bank, so if I hate it, I won't feel really bad. But wish me luck, OK? I'll let you guys know what I think after I've given it a sniff.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope everyone is doing well and feeling better.

Wearing Mauboussin today.

We moved over the weekend - the walls can't support my perfume cabinets :oops2: so I need to find something very shallow and slim that's free-standing.

That's a tough order, I'd think - finding something like that. I have a very small house, so small shallow bookcases are great, but surprisingly hard to come by. My uncle made me a bookcase decades ago, of reclaimed boards he fished out of a dumpster. (my family is like that - we were re-purposing stuff decades before it was the rage it is now) The boards are only 7 inches wide, so very narrow. Narrow, but wide enough to hold tons of cookbooks - which is how my husband has decided it has to be used these days. Anyway, it's VERY sturdy. He painted it cream white, and then my mom and I cut and applied a lovely antique-y looking wall paper and applied it on the exposed edges and outside surfaces. It's tall so we have it L-bracketed to the wall. If I was going to use it for perfumes, I would figure out some way to attach a roller shade on the front - just a bit wider than the shelving. So, easy access, yet dark, and less chance of knocking the bottles. And if or when I figured out something else to hold my collection, I could still use it for books.

Of course, you could just pare down a lot and send your culls to your good friends in this thread...right??
No shelving required!! Right??

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's a tough order, I'd think - finding something like that. I have a very small house, so small shallow bookcases are great, but surprisingly hard to come by. My uncle made me a bookcase decades ago, of reclaimed boards he fished out of a dumpster. (my family is like that - we were re-purposing stuff decades before it was the rage it is now) The boards are only 7 inches wide, so very narrow. Narrow, but wide enough to hold tons of cookbooks - which is how my husband has decided it has to be used these days. Anyway, it's VERY sturdy. He painted it cream white, and then my mom and I cut and applied a lovely antique-y looking wall paper and applied it on the exposed edges and outside surfaces. It's tall so we have it L-bracketed to the wall. If I was going to use it for perfumes, I would figure out some way to attach a roller shade on the front - just a bit wider than the shelving. So, easy access, yet dark, and less chance of knocking the bottles. And if or when I figured out something else to hold my collection, I could still use it for books.

Of course, you could just pare down a lot and send your culls to your good friends in this thread...right??
No shelving required!! Right??

It's funny - if I had "perfume friends" locally - I would give most of what I have away. But living in Canada, we have such tight restrictions on mailing anything with an alcohol content, that it's just not worth the hassle.

Alas, shelving it is. I just dropped $$$ on a new sofa, desk, mattress, TV unit, and all the extras that go with moving. I really didn't want to have to buy a bookcase. Ikea, here I come. :blackeye:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually send "also rans" to my nieces....lol thye're all so young (20's-30's) so they love getting stuff they don't have to pay for.

Ikea used to have these really cool solid oak sshelves with stainless steel brakets that was years ago but I wonder if they maybe still have them?

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I usually send "also rans" to my nieces....lol thye're all so young (20's-30's) so they love getting stuff they don't have to pay for.

Ikea used to have these really cool solid oak sshelves with stainless steel brakets that was years ago but I wonder if they maybe still have them?

I will look!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's funny - if I had "perfume friends" locally - I would give most of what I have away. But living in Canada, we have such tight restrictions on mailing anything with an alcohol content, that it's just not worth the hassle.

Alas, shelving it is. I just dropped $$$ on a new sofa, desk, mattress, TV unit, and all the extras that go with moving. I really didn't want to have to buy a bookcase. Ikea, here I come. :blackeye:

You have my deepest sympathy. I'm not a fan of Ikea, although I've bought from them once - meaning I went in one. ONCE. Never again. As my husband said through clenched teeth as we tried to get out of the damn place, you need a machete, a flare gun, and your lawyer on speed-dial, to get out of there. Indeed.

This covers it perfectly.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You have my deepest sympathy. I'm not a fan of Ikea, although I've bought from them once - meaning I went in one. ONCE. Never again. As my husband said through clenched teeth as we tried to get out of the damn place, you need a machete, a flare gun, and your lawyer on speed-dial, to get out of there. Indeed.

This covers it perfectly.

LOL. Sometimes we go just to watch others' relationships crumble.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my Miss Dior last night. As I feared, it's one of the "recharge" inserts that needs a special dispenser to work. The thing is encased in a seriously stout metal casing with a little hole in the bottom where upward pressure will spray the perfume. I'm not sure how the original worked. Anyway, I got creative and managed to get some out, albeit not well-controlled. I'm going to have to figure out some way to get it decanted into something else, and it's probably going to take 2 people to do it.

My impressions: it's INTENSE. (of course there's the fact that I got rather a lot in my awkward attempt to get some out) It's like my Aliage but way greener and more....sour at the open. I really like it so far, but need more time to figure it out.

One thing I will do, is see if I can find the current version of Miss Dior - if you can even find one amongst the pile of flankers that get lots of scorn. But then, from what I've read, the current version of the original shares little but the name, and also gets a lot of scorn. I just want to sniff it though, so I can compare what they had to what they've done to it.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I got my Miss Dior last night. As I feared, it's one of the "recharge" inserts that needs a special dispenser to work. The thing is encased in a seriously stout metal casing with a little hole in the bottom where upward pressure will spray the perfume. I'm not sure how the original worked. Anyway, I got creative and managed to get some out, albeit not well-controlled. I'm going to have to figure out some way to get it decanted into something else, and it's probably going to take 2 people to do it.

My impressions: it's INTENSE. (of course there's the fact that I got rather a lot in my awkward attempt to get some out) It's like my Aliage but way greener and more....sour at the open. I really like it so far, but need more time to figure it out.

One thing I will do, is see if I can find the current version of Miss Dior - if you can even find one amongst the pile of flankers that get lots of scorn. But then, from what I've read, the current version of the original shares little but the name, and also gets a lot of scorn. I just want to sniff it though, so I can compare what they had to what they've done to it.

I recall having one of those refills once (Dior Dior I think)- it's like a little butane canister. Basically it needs an exhaust-tip, like what you'd find on a hairspray bottle.

Miss Dior has never been my favourite. I love the idea of "green" - Silences, No. 19, Y, etc., but they just don't suit me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I really don't want to take any chances but I'm JONZIN, so....
I looked in the back of the perfume closet and pulled out a bottle of SJP Stash oil. Perfect!!!:appl:

I cant smell all the way but I can smell enough!! and wow it felt so luxurious that I could finally wear something!!:lol:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ksinger, If you like the vintage Miss Dior you might also enjoy Miss Dior Originale edt. It is available on FragranceX . Some find it similar to vintage Miss Dior.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever run someone down to find out what they were wearing?? Well, I did that today to one of our airline attendants. Everytime she walked by I had this overwhelming urge to follow her :lol:. And then I found myself exhaling deeply if I saw she was coming our way so I could take a deep inhale as she passed :lol-2: The scent is so hard for me to describe, but it’s unlike any I’ve smelled before. It’s sweet, but not sickly so... more like a loving reminder of coming home to freshly baked treats when you were a kid. There’s also a strong hint of musky vanilla, which has a sultry note to it at its finish. It’s jist downright yummy in my book!

Anyway, as we began deplaning I had to find her and find out what her delicious fragrance was! She was quite lovely about it all and was tickled I enjoyed it so much; she even wrote down the name for me so I wouldn’t forget it. We had arrived in Belgium for a layover so I immediately picked up a bottle at the Duty Free store. And a funny ending... as I started to explain to DH why I accidentally held up everyone deplaning and what we were doing in the DF store, he said “Oh yeah - I know exactly what perfume you’re talking about :geek2::geek2::geek2:“ and then told me to get the largest bottle they had :lol:

It’s by Lancôme and is called La Nuit Trésor À La Folie

https://www.lancome-usa.com/fragran...-tresor/la-nuit-tresor-a-la-folie/LAN206.html

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You live in Canada? Can I walk over and get your unwanted stuff?:cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're in Toronto, absolutely!

ps I bought a new cabinet for the 'fumes this weekend!

IMG_20180603_112335_01.jpg

LOL. Too far a walk I'm afraid.......thanks anyway!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night I wore Green Tea by Ava Luxe. Fresh and green and woody and spicy. An oldie for me but a goodie and I completely forgot about it here till after my shower last night when we got back from our cycling and I was looking for a fragrance to wear. Very lovely and light fragrance. Perfect for late Spring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice cabinet. Is it from Ikea? Did you survive (mostly) unscathed? ;)) And of course the question is, what is in the hidden portion at the bottom? Do tell! :twisted2:

I've been wearing the Miss Dior. I really do love it. And in something only other perfumistas would get, I put on some right before bed. I know, right? However, I found out its real longevity this morning when I sniffed my wrist and faint but clear, leather. I've been up for almost 2 hours now, and still a whiff of the leather. That stuff has some serious staying power I must say.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Nice cabinet. Is it from Ikea? Did you survive (mostly) unscathed? ;)) And of course the question is, what is in the hidden portion at the bottom? Do tell! :twisted2:

I've been wearing the Miss Dior. I really do love it. And in something only other perfumistas would get, I put on some right before bed. I know, right? However, I found out its real longevity this morning when I sniffed my wrist and faint but clear, leather. I've been up for almost 2 hours now, and still a whiff of the leather. That stuff has some serious staying power I must say.

Of course it's from Ikea! :mrgreen2: My apartment looks like an Ikea catalogue at this point - but I can't afford anything else. :/

ATM, the bottom shelves are samples, minis, decants, testers, and randoms. Of course, there's another cabinet filled with duplicates and back-ups. The BF doesn't know about those yet. :wink2:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diorissimo... ca 2000.
Compared it to the current version in a shop today... mine's much greener, earthier,indolic.
The current version is all about "clean and pretty"(well CLEAN)...
Le sigh

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been using Jicky parfum a lot recently, I used to hate it and now I love it, funny how taste changes.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chinatown for me today. :geek2:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been using Jicky parfum a lot recently, I used to hate it and now I love it, funny how taste changes.
Ah, so there's still hope for me. My mom gave me her vintage perfume and I'm not. In love...

Sotd Narciso Rodriguez Fleur Musc... very girly floral musc....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, so there's still hope for me. My mom gave me her vintage perfume and I'm not. In love...

Sotd Narciso Rodriguez Fleur Musc... very girly floral musc....

It took me years to 'get' Jicky and all of a sudden it clicked so give it time, it really is beautiful especially in vintage.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the green again, only today is on steroids. A base of Aliage with tiny dabs of Miss Dior on top.

It is dark green mossy heaven. Sigh.....ahhhhh. Just the thing for staying in and upping the cool factor on a hot day. :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am enjoying Prada Mimosa today (its gorgeous but fleeting...nothing a respray can't fix!:appl:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results