shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My layers don't always pan out but the more I try them the more I learn how to layer based on a dominate set of notes, then also based on basenotes. Lubin Akkad is so amber neutral that it can work for a lot of mixes (especially rose ones!)
Today though I went more boring: Prada L'eau Ambre Which of course is discontinued. But boring has its place and this one is a good boring.

Speaking of Prada, I hear they're changing their perfume house, which could mean good or detrimental.:shock: I thankfully have a full gallon of Infusion d'Iris from 2010 which I will probably never run out of :lol:

Reactions: AV_

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Didn't Prada bump up their prices recently too? All the infusions like doubled in price

edit - http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/st...infusion-iris-eau-de-parfum-0066-pe007607--24

$180 Canadian! I remember seeing these at Winners/TJMaxx all the time for $30, and even then no one was buying them.

ps - If you like Prada's Iris, try Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Bleue - same perfumer I think. It could have been called Infusion de The/tea

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah but unlike Chanel, they don't bump them yearly:shock: Oh and the exclusifs .... I'm kinda done buying those (itty bitty bottle of stink for 300+ :roll2:)

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah but unlike Chanel, they don't bump them yearly:shock: Oh and the exclusifs .... I'm kinda done buying those (itty bitty bottle of stink for 300+ :roll2:)

I agree - I have a few bottles from the Exclusifs line from the release days (2007?), but I refuse to drop that kind of cash on them anymore - regardless of them changing to EDP. I highly doubt upping the concentration merits the kind of price increases they implement.

Either way, I'm glad I have the ones that I do - Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie mostly. The only ones from the newer collection I have are 28 La Pausa and Sycomore, both of which are nice, but I could live without if I had to. I couldn't live without Bois des Iles.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put on Serge Lutens Fleurs D'Oranger. I sometimes wonder why I don't wear this more often.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I put on Serge Lutens Fleurs D'Oranger. I sometimes wonder why I don't wear this more often.
It's funny - I love Serge, I love orange blossom, but I don't love Serge's orange blossom. Too sweet for me I guess.

Having said that - wearing the candied Angel Muse Eau de Toilette today. Oh, the irony.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's funny - I love Serge, I love orange blossom, but I don't love Serge's orange blossom. Too sweet for me I guess.

Having said that - wearing the candied Angel Muse Eau de Toilette today. Oh, the irony.

I'm thankful it never comes off as too sweet on me. Jasmine and hibiscus is blooming this time of year (along with some palm trees) and so wearing FdO it sort of blends in with everything down here. Today its Prada IdI.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
changed for the evening to MdO Vanille

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could anyone provide an opinion on Histoires de Parfums 1969? The notes sound interesting and I would like to know more about it.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Could anyone provide an opinion on Histoires de Parfums 1969? The notes sound interesting and I would like to know more about it.

From what I recall, a peachy-rose gourmande. Not bad, but nothing special. Just my 2 cents though - worth testing if you have the chance.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found it to be on the light side. The peach for me was a bit powdery. And you really do have to like patchouli (its quite chocolaty at first then can be a bit musty as sometimes patch can be) You could certainly give it a shot. IThey do have a discovery set (its smallish, but a good starting spot. They have 15ml bottles for 35 dollars from their website. https://usa.histoiresdeparfums.com/collections/petite-librairie

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Histoires des Parfums has a strange history (pun unintional). They started with most of the same names they have now, but at some point, decided to completely rebrand and reformulated their whole line. Luckily for them, it was an improvement. They got a boost after the first edition of The Perfume Guide. Most of their offerings received high scores.

After I re-tested (and they landed a very expensive spot on the shelves at Sephora), none really wowed me, aside from the Marquis de Sade one (1740?) Apparently it has changed again though, and is less interesting than it was before.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reviews on 1969 and the information on Histoire de Parfums. My favorite Histoire de Parfums is Tubereuse 3 Animale. It's dense tobacco and sweetness and so deliciously long lasting. I was hoping there might be more perfumes in this house that I would enjoy as much.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reviews on 1969 and the information on Histoire de Parfums. My favorite Histoire de Parfums is Tubereuse 3 Animale. It's dense tobacco and sweetness and so deliciously long lasting. I was hoping there might be more perfumes in this house that I would enjoy as much.

Oh GAWD, I LUV this one. Got the 4oz bottle and its about half gone:cry2: if you like pineapple, try 1804. I don't always like pineapple but I do like this one. Longevity is quite good. 1889(Moulin Rouge) is a real olfactory experience but one many may not like (I liked it!!) if you also like Frederic Malle's Lipstick Rose, you'll understand because they're similar but this is MUCH softer. I had also tried Irreverent. Not my favorite as I really don't enjoy oud notes very much, but it wasn't boring! found it to be strong and def. unusual (lavendar, oud, and coffee??? whew!)but then again, I also feel the non mainline stuff tends to be a lot stronger anyway.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today was Angelique Noir day. Yummy.Its intersting (and perhaps body chemistry is doing this), but I smell a very low but deeply beautiful tobacco on my wrist.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect that I will like Moulin Rouge. I enjoy the powdery makeup/woody violet scent of Drole de Rose. I must be anosmic to the rose element in it though but the violets come through immediately and the powder lingers. I will admit to spritzing it on the sheets or just my pillow at night.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I suspect that I will like Moulin Rouge. I enjoy the powdery makeup/woody violet scent of Drole de Rose. I must be anosmic to the rose element in it though but the violets come through immediately and the powder lingers. I will admit to spritzing it on the sheets or just my pillow at night.

I'm the other way around - I can smell the rose, I but I always have a hard time smelling violets/ionones.

Wearing Angel Bitter Cocoa today. I'm not sure why I get cravings for things like Angel in August. I'm always in opposite-land.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am wondering if Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere has been reformulated? I had extra points to redeem at a store and I didnt really want anything so I waffled a bit, but ended up picking up a back up bottle of the Eau Premiere which was totally unnecessary. I sprayed myself with the tester they had and I feel like it was so weak compared to the bottle I have been using???

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am wondering if Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere has been reformulated? I had extra points to redeem at a store and I didnt really want anything so I waffled a bit, but ended up picking up a back up bottle of the Eau Premiere which was totally unnecessary. I sprayed myself with the tester they had and I feel like it was so weak compared to the bottle I have been using???

Likely so. I know that chanel owns a lot of their floral fields so, the harvest yeilds can also be important. Also thank IFRA because they always change the goal post. Probably the reason I get less and less excited about new releases (because so many smell the same anymore)

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, and according to Serge Lutens, every fragrance is constantly tweaked at least every two years. Prices for ingredients change, as do yields, substitutions, costs, etc. etc. Basically, if you like a perfume when it's released, you should already be stocking up (if you're sensitive to these sorts of things:geek2:).

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So remember the guy on Ebay w Amouage testers? I went ahead and ordered Dia and Beloved backup bottles . I have the testers now and they are authentic as far as I can tell. The descriptions said non magnetic caps, but only Dia came w the non magnetic cap, Beloved had magnetic cap. I actually don't know if Beloved was made w non magnetic caps ever? Beloved tester looks exactly like my bottle, except of course the etching on the back saying tester.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So remember the guy on Ebay w Amouage testers? I went ahead and ordered Dia and Beloved backup bottles . I have the testers now and they are authentic as far as I can tell. The descriptions said non magnetic caps, but only Dia came w the non magnetic cap, Beloved had magnetic cap. I actually don't know if Beloved was made w non magnetic caps ever? Beloved tester looks exactly like my bottle, except of course the etching on the back saying tester.

Orignal Beloved Woman had nonmagnetic cap. I think they started magnetic caps with either Fate or Journey, can't remember.

I have an early version of Beloved which leaves oil spots on skin..lol its ridiculously strong stuff.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A lot of Amouages seem to leave oily spots - I *hate* that. I'm fine with strong, but not when things haven't been properly diluted. Blech.

Speaking of strong- wearing Montana's Just Me today. In its day, it was competition for Angel. Angel won.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The older ones from the original sets...those were ridiculous in their power. I also think that the type of sprayers have a lot to do with having a fine even spray or....oily spots.

Case in point; Guerlain sprayers are absolutely divine. They (unless its the dreaded bulb sprayers) spray a very fine mist. In comparison Amouage sprayers are rather globule, they kinda spit at you which can leave oily spots.

They're not alone in subpar sprayers.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
with all this amouage talk (lol) I did indeed put on Beloved this morning. AHHHHHHHHHH:love: When I lived in the NE I wore this all summer. Down here, not entirely possible because of how the humidity mixes with the skank layer.:eek-2: :lol-2: Once that layer calms down though...whooosh!! its really gorgeous. Today its much more herbal and I get no rose (lots of chamomile today)

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I need to do more research on Amouage - at one point, I was up on all their latest releases, but the store who carried them no longer does, and they release things SO often, that it's difficult to keep my attention.

Anyhoo - wear Miroirs des Envies today, an old Mugler. The listed notes are literally: "jasmine and toast". And guess what? It smells exactly like it's supposed to.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Michael Kors White, a gift from my husband several years back. I haven't worn it terribly often but it's nice. It's light and...white. Jasmine, tuberose, but not overpowering.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Today is Michael Kors White, a gift from my husband several years back. I haven't worn it terribly often but it's nice. It's light and...white. Jasmine, tuberose, but not overpowering.

I've been smelling something white-floral-y on the subway a lot lately. I'm not sure what it is. I sprayed on some Twilly last night to see if that was it, but it's not. Anyway, I love tuberose and jasmine and whatnot, but on the subway in August, it can be a bit suffocating....even for me!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just rode the elevator with a lady wearing BUCKET of Pink Sugar. I'm not mad about it - it was a fun 3 min. ride of neon pink cotton candy. :P2

I'm back to Angel Muse EDT today.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My Le Labo Rose 31 (perfume oil) has turned. (2014) Smells like pencils or paper now. lol

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results