carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My Le Labo Rose 31 (perfume oil) has turned. (2014) Smells like pencils or paper now. lol

cheers--Sharon

:eek2: this is not the first I've heard with this company. Rose oil (at least the real stuff) generally holds is fragrance for quite a long time. and thats only 4 years old.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2: this is not the first I've heard with this company. Rose oil (at least the real stuff) generally holds is fragrance for quite a long time. and thats only 4 years old.

I massaged the oil onto my DH feet--and he stated he could smell the roses...maybe there is some life left? I still get mostly wood products.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I never smelled Roses in Rose 31 anyway. Just like the rest of the line - Patchouli 24 is leather; Iris 39 is patchouli; Santal 33 has no sandalwood; Neroli 36 is a plain white musk.

Rose 31, to me, is primarily a wood scent, with perhaps a touch of floral notes buried underneath. I have a feeling what you're smelling are woody aromachemicals like Iso E Super - known for smelling like pencil shavings.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wearing Womanity (flanker) today. Ugh - this is the most challenging perfume I think I own. Not sure why I bought it. :/

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boring I guess, since I've not gotten anything new lately. So back to Aliage with dabs of Miss Dior on top..

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of woody roses today I wore Amouage Lyric. This is quite old version which means some pretty monster sillage! Put it on at 6am, its now nearly 7:30 and I still smell it very clearly.

And of course for some POAL is probably the better of the ginormous woody roses. POAL for me is a bit of weird mold/mothball smell which proceeds everything, and there's just no way in hell I'd sit through that to get to the good parts. Why POAL does that, I have no clue.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Speaking of woody roses today I wore Amouage Lyric. This is quite old version which means some pretty monster sillage! Put it on at 6am, its now nearly 7:30 and I still smell it very clearly.

And of course for some POAL is probably the better of the ginormous woody roses. POAL for me is a bit of weird mold/mothball smell which proceeds everything, and there's just no way in hell I'd sit through that to get to the good parts. Why POAL does that, I have no clue.

Maybe the patchouli? It can definitely have a camphor-like smell.

Wearing Aura today. I guess I'm a Mugler guy now...it seems to preoccupy my wearings almost everyday now.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the patchouli? It can definitely have a camphor-like smell.

Wearing Aura today. I guess I'm a Mugler guy now...it seems to preoccupy my wearings almost everyday now.

I thought about that, but I also have some pretty heavy duty patch fragrances, plus 5 patchouli plants:lol-2: I always figured it was the combination of the notes that somehow just didn't agree.

Speaking of scents of EL, Kilian is raising their prices on their regular line to 500 dollars a bottle. :roll2:Yeah they can keep that shit. Like a good deal of them but not that damn much!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do patchouli plants emit much smell? Or are they the type that you have to crush the leaves to get anything?

Eff Kilian. I just tried his new "affordable" line at Sephora. Rubbish.

Wearing Angel Muse today. Still going strong with Mugler.

I actually bought bought bottles of both Angel and Aura shower gel. Lovely stuff, lovely packaging. Crazy price. Not sure what I was thinking. :/

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do patchouli plants emit much smell? Or are they the type that you have to crush the leaves to get anything?

Eff Kilian. I just tried his new "affordable" line at Sephora. Rubbish.

Wearing Angel Muse today. Still going strong with Mugler.

I actually bought bought bottles of both Angel and Aura shower gel. Lovely stuff, lovely packaging. Crazy price. Not sure what I was thinking. :/

The smell depends on age of the plant and season. In the summer, my older plants def, emit a earthy/woody smell during the day, but I have 6 of them. its not a really super heavy smell (not like the jasmine!!!). Younger plants you have to crush the leaves for much of a smell.

During the winter, the smell is very muted (the larger ones I cover on the coldest evenings, smaller potted ones I bring inside)

There's maybe 3-4 Killians that I liked, and even then I bought the refill bottle....lol Mr. Hennessy is really a lovely person who believes in his scents. But admittedly most of them aren't for my demographic, KWIM? I like maybe a handful of them.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The smell depends on age of the plant and season. In the summer, my older plants def, emit a earthy/woody smell during the day, but I have 6 of them. its not a really super heavy smell (not like the jasmine!!!). Younger plants you have to crush the leaves for much of a smell.

During the winter, the smell is very muted (the larger ones I cover on the coldest evenings, smaller potted ones I bring inside)

There's maybe 3-4 Killians that I liked, and even then I bought the refill bottle....lol Mr. Hennessy is really a lovely person who believes in his scents. But admittedly most of them aren't for my demographic, KWIM? I like maybe a handful of them.

The only one I've ever bought was a travel refill of Liaisons Dangereuse (the fruity-rose). I've since given it away. It's not a bad line by any means, and I always commended him for releasing refill bottles to save on packaging costs, I feel like the line has become crowded and overall, a bit dull. Compared to a line like Le Labo or Malle, his line doesn't seem to have any editing going on.

Having said all that - I wouldn't say no to a bottle of his green tea scent.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo I didn't NEED this but, I ended up with a bottle of Guerlain Tonka Imperial. Fragrancenet had a lot of the exclusives all of a sudden and I couldn't resist. at 275 a bottle /75ml at the boutique...um...yeah no indulgences there.

But..... I used the google shop trick and got it for 152 dollars:mrgreen2:

Here's the fun part. The sillage is like a cherry pipe tobacco. Up close you get much more almond, chewy tonka and a really gorgeous rosemary....and strangely enough, no tobacco!! In the currently weather (which is soupy humid) and its a wee much but I could really see this being used the rest of the year. I would not really call this unisex though. I'll wear it but I got a few funny looks from the other half.....lol

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sooooo I didn't NEED this but, I ended up with a bottle of Guerlain Tonka Imperial. Fragrancenet had a lot of the exclusives all of a sudden and I couldn't resist. at 275 a bottle /75ml at the boutique...um...yeah no indulgences there.

But..... I used the google shop trick and got it for 152 dollars:mrgreen2:

Here's the fun part. The sillage is like a cherry pipe tobacco. Up close you get much more almond, chewy tonka and a really gorgeous rosemary....and strangely enough, no tobacco!! In the currently weather (which is soupy humid) and its a wee much but I could really see this being used the rest of the year. I would not really call this unisex though. I'll wear it but I got a few funny looks from the other half.....lol

Good deal! I'll have to retest this one.

I never even think about what scent belongs to what sex anymore - I just don't care. And with that being said, I bought Angel in "perfumed pen" format yesterday. Sweet, fruity, tropical - not what I would call manly.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooooo I need to avoid every freaking scent boutique on the planet. :lol-2: I went to diptyque today after my meeting was done. why did I do this??:roll2::cry2:

I did not come out empty handed. They have 34 Boulevard Saint Germain as an EDP. Oh.My.Goodness. I already loved it as an edt but felt it was too watery/light. I always said if it ever came out as an edp I would go for it. 200 dollars later...yeah I did.:cry2: I Love it.:cry2:

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Soooooo I need to avoid every freaking scent boutique on the planet. :lol-2: I went to diptyque today after my meeting was done. why did I do this??:roll2::cry2:

I did not come out empty handed. They have 34 Boulevard Saint Germain as an EDP. Oh.My.Goodness. I already loved it as an edt but felt it was too watery/light. I always said if it ever came out as an edp I would go for it. 200 dollars later...yeah I did.:cry2: I Love it.:cry2:

Congrats! I'll have to try this one again. I don't own one single bottle from Diptyque for some strange reason???

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I'll have to try this one again. I don't own one single bottle from Diptyque for some strange reason???

THey have quite a few that I had not tried the last go round of Diptyque. Its a house that I like but seem to always forget about at times. For me the effect of the EDP is closer to an extrait. Ridiculous longevity, sillage is not super heavy but present. Mega compliments at the grocery store last evening:lol-2: I get juniper berries in the beginning.... its def. the scent of my childhood. I haven't put on a scent today yet and I still smell it faintly.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfume rant ahead!
Wanted to finally replace my bottle of Dior Gris Montaigne.
They renamed it Gris Dior and the colour is different. I asked about 10 x if the juice is unchanged (freestanding Dior fragrance boutique). Went to another boutique. Still the same answer.
Didn't buy, they didn't give me a sample, but I sprayed liberally. Everything smelled fine at first, albeit a smidge "fresher" ( thought I might be wrong about that).
But the drydown is completely changed. It's a fairly linear scent now. No more patch in the far drydown. If this was my signature scent I'd be sooooo annoyed right now.
Happy I didn't throw 300$ out the window.
Hate when they do this!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bought some Fig and Wild ginger from Lucia. Light and airy--no staying power but I expect that now. lol. Not a big $$ investment .

ETA: bought a fabulous scented candle from Earth Element Soap Company when I was in Nova Scotia. Soy--burns even and gorgeous aroma. I've found my new candle company!!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I are loving Molecule 2 by Eccentric Molecules at the moment. I had a sample and tried it and my dh liked it so tried it too. All I can say so far is yummm. Subtle but good. Clean but seductive. Fresh and non perfumey.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Diptyque 34. The complete opposite of @missy s perfume...lol But see if you can sample it For you it may well be a deep winter scent.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Diptyque 34. The complete opposite of @missy s perfume...lol But see if you can sample it For you it may well be a deep winter scent.

I love most of the Diptyque line. Never tried 34 though. Enjoy.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really loved that one, got a big bottle then it turned on me and I couldn't wear it anymore. Developed an annoying barbershop / classic french shaving foam note to my nose. Haven't tried it for a year, I 'll revisit later this year - I'm pretty curious how my nose will read it....

Wearing maison francis kurkdjian aqua celestia . Perfect for a rather warm autumn day.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really loved that one, got a big bottle then it turned on me and I couldn't wear it anymore. Developed an annoying barbershop / classic french shaving foam note to my nose. Haven't tried it for a year, I 'll revisit later this year - I'm pretty curious how my nose will read it....

Wearing maison francis kurkdjian aqua celestia . Perfect for a rather warm autumn day.
The one I have is the new EDP. Its pretty damn manly...lol but I love it though.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one I have is the new EDP. Its pretty damn manly...lol but I love it though.
Manly was not the problem as such...I think it's my FILs Mennen brand shaving foam peeping through that startled me. He's a sweet old gentleman , but has some no- filter issues and HAS appeared behind me unexpectedly... so the whiffs of Mennen make me jump:lol-2::lol-2:
Funny how visceral reactions to scents are...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So yesterday's mention of Diptyque made me crave some today and I am wearing this morning Eau Duelle EDP. All I can say is it's
odeur délicieuse.
:halo:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Gucci II So in love with this one. I heard that some newer bottles out there barely have any smell to them, which is a disappointment.

Oh and @missy, if you like patchouli, you might want to try Diptique Tempo if you haven't already. I wanted it but I also have Chanel's Coromandel so would have been kinda overkill for me.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried the new Dior Joy ?
I have to admit that I was already not impressed by their use of the iconic Jean Patou name ( boy, would they sue anyone who used one of their trademarks). I know, I I know they are about to buy Patou. I but no respect for a true classic at all.
... And the juice was really meh.... nondescript clean white floral top notes and the heart and dry down of Chanel Allure. Maybe it's just my skin, and I but I double checked the tester because it was like classic allure watered down by 50% regarding sillage. Didn't expect much, mind you, but this was a scrubber on me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried the new Dior Joy ?
I have to admit that I was already not impressed by their use of the iconic Jean Patou name ( boy, would they sue anyone who used one of their trademarks). I know, I I know they are about to buy Patou. I but no respect for a true classic at all.
... And the juice was really meh.... nondescript clean white floral top notes and the heart and dry down of Chanel Allure. Maybe it's just my skin, and I but I double checked the tester because it was like classic allure watered down by 50% regarding sillage. Didn't expect much, mind you, but this was a scrubber on me.

Tried it. You're not wrong in your thinking. I wasn't very impressed by it frankly.

Also I think JP is now owned by Coty (maybe?) its hard to remember considering its changed hands more than once. Not sure if they even care that the name is being used as JP frags seem to be limping along.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wearing Andrea Maack's Sharp today. I don't love it as much as Smart of I own a FB. But I have a large Sharp sample from over a year ago and decided to wear it today. Notes are Orange blossom (not the jewelry orange blossom haha), Angel skin, Sweet Vanilla, and White musk.
It's a bit too sweet for me but not displeasing. Just not my favorite.
Smart is much more pleasing IMO.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm testing Merchant of Venice Arabesque. I like it. Its pretty strong and tenatious though (I have no idea what a perfum concentrate is but probably just a extrait...lol)

I was given a small sprayer bottle and a single sprits filled the room....In a good way! Cinnamon, tonka, and tobacco are what I smell most. Every unisex, a bit on the sweet but spicy side

Its quite humid down here so not the perfect day for it, but I can see wearing this one in winter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results