shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Testing another Mugler today - Aura, the newest one. It's interesting. I tried it on paper when it came out and thought it was dull after the fun, menthol topnote. On skin, it holds up pretty well over time. Kind of a fun, green vanilla.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Testing another Mugler today - Aura, the newest one. It's interesting. I tried it on paper when it came out and thought it was dull after the fun, menthol topnote. On skin, it holds up pretty well over time. Kind of a fun, green vanilla.

Mugler. No. Just no. Every single one that I sniffed that one day at the maul, was an instantaneous NOPE. I guess whatever base they use is just wrong for me. Super scrubbers. And of course I know that other people - lots of them - love those.

Today I haven't decided. I've been on a bit of a hiatus from perfume since the heat hit.

Funny thing though, this morning, just because I've not been wearing anything and my bottle was handy, I did a one-wrist dab of my Miss Dior just for something to sniff. Then 2 hours later took a shower. That stuff is sticking to me like glue, no kidding. I'm getting all the leather that comes at the tail end of the drydown. Heck it may be enough to last me the rest of the day. :shock: Potent stuff!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mugler. No. Just no. Every single one that I sniffed that one day at the maul, was an instantaneous NOPE. I guess whatever base they use is just wrong for me. Super scrubbers. And of course I know that other people - lots of them - love those.

Today I haven't decided. I've been on a bit of a hiatus from perfume since the heat hit.

Funny thing though, this morning, just because I've not been wearing anything and my bottle was handy, I did a one-wrist dab of my Miss Dior just for something to sniff. Then 2 hours later took a shower. That stuff is sticking to me like glue, no kidding. I'm getting all the leather that comes at the tail end of the drydown. Heck it may be enough to last me the rest of the day. :shock: Potent stuff!

I'm a bit wishy-washy when it comes to longevity. It seems like the perfume I want to stick around (Vol de Nuit EDT) never do, and the ones I want just for a few hours (anything Mugler), can't be washed off.

When is someone going to invent a neutralizing spray?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a bit wishy-washy when it comes to longevity. It seems like the perfume I want to stick around (Vol de Nuit EDT) never do, and the ones I want just for a few hours (anything Mugler), can't be washed off.

When is someone going to invent a neutralizing spray?

Well, usually soap and water will NOT do the trick. Oil is the only thing I've found that will knock out a sticky 'fume that is making you sick. Sometimes a trace remains but only oil will pretty much remove scents reliably, in my experience. Of course that's not much comfort when you're out and you've sprayed something ghastly on yourself and you don't happen to have a bottle of oil and a sink with you. :rolleyes: So yeah, a neutralizing spray would be awesome!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, usually soap and water will NOT do the trick. Oil is the only thing I've found that will knock out a sticky 'fume that is making you sick. Sometimes a trace remains but only oil will pretty much remove scents reliably, in my experience. Of course that's not much comfort when you're out and you've sprayed something ghastly on yourself and you don't happen to have a bottle of oil and a sink with you. :rolleyes: So yeah, a neutralizing spray would be awesome!

I usually use Vaseline - or something that will remove makeup, but even then there's always something leftover.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually use Vaseline - or something that will remove makeup, but even then there's always something leftover.

Yes! And it's always the ONE part that is making you want to hurl!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes! And it's always the ONE part that is making you want to hurl!

lol, exactly.

speaking of never-going-to-come-off - testing Narciso (again) today. It got 5 stars in the new Guide.

I like it better today than I did last attempt. Not to be crude, but it has a musk that...reminds me of something. :shhh: Not sure I can live with that.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone:wavey:. Hoping to get some scent advice from fellow PSers.

I picked up a sample of the new Acqua Di Parma perfume called Blu Mediterraneo Chinotto Di Liguria. It's described as citrusy and floral. So I put it on and it smells like the original Poison which is heavy and headache inducing for me. Can you please tell me what is that very heavy and long lasting smell in Poison? I'd like to avoid that as my intent was to get a orange/mandarin/citrus scent.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone:wavey:. Hoping to get some scent advice from fellow PSers.

I picked up a sample of the new Acqua Di Parma perfume called Blu Mediterraneo Chinotto Di Liguria. It's described as citrusy and floral. So I put it on and it smells like the original Poison which is heavy and headache inducing for me. Can you please tell me what is that very heavy and long lasting smell in Poison? I'd like to avoid that as my intent was to get a orange/mandarin/citrus scent.

That would be tuberose. Or in the world of synthetics, things that compromise tuberose (which often also comprise jasmine).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @daneshpastry for identifying tuberose for me. Potent stuff. I washed it off my wrist before going to bed but could still smell it a little in the morning.

Last edited:

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks @daneshpastry for identifying tuberose for me. Potent stuff. I washed it off my wrist before going to bed but could still smell it a little in the morning.

Tuberose is indeed a potent monster. You might also recognize it in things like Amarige, Carnal Flower, Fracas, Giorgio, and pretty much anything that claims to have "gardenia" in it. Granted, Poison also has a slew of extremely powerful synthetics in it (to compete with the other 100 ft. tall perfumes on the market at the time), so you can't blame the tuberose exclusively.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flowerbomb. Smells really pretty. Just doesn't seem like it has the all day longevity of my others.:think:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Amouage Figment. This is white flower heaven (well for some maybe white flower hell???:lol:) I a big lover of tuberose and you get a lot of that. There's also Lily which IMO is refreshing. I see a bottle of this in my future!!!

A lot of people get gardenia out of this and I just don't. For gardenia, L'Artisan Rappelle-Toi is king (its so gorgeous!!)

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Amouage Figment. This is white flower heaven (well for some maybe white flower hell???:lol:) I a big lover of tuberose and you get a lot of that. There's also Lily which IMO is refreshing. I see a bottle of this in my future!!!

A lot of people get gardenia out of this and I just don't. For gardenia, L'Artisan Rappelle-Toi is king (its so gorgeous!!)

Gardenia is tricky. I've not tried the L'Artisan. I have a bottle of TF Velvet Gardenia - mostly for reference, as it's not the most wearable thing.

Testing Narciso EDT. I must be anosmic to the musks, because all I smell are roses and peonies, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not what all the reviews say.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gardenia is mostly tricky because in perfumery its very expensive and usually its made up of tuberose, jasmine, and something else (its old age, I forget) Gardenia absolute is usually too expensive to use for most houses. Generally though I find it to almost have a popcorn butteriness, and fruit (why I don't know) does seem to pair well with white booze notes (well maybe it smells like a bar??:lol:) I think its what makes it harder for some to recognize I remember back in the day there were plenty of arguments about "gardenia" and gardenia on basenotes.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gardenia is mostly tricky because in perfumery its very expensive and usually its made up of tuberose, jasmine, and something else (its old age, I forget) Gardenia absolute is usually too expensive to use for most houses. Generally though I find it to almost have a popcorn butteriness, and fruit (why I don't know) does seem to pair well with white booze notes (well maybe it smells like a bar??:lol:) I think its what makes it harder for some to recognize I remember back in the day there were plenty of arguments about "gardenia" and gardenia on basenotes.

I was always tempted to get the gardenia enfleurage that (old age as well...I forget) sold. It was ridiculously expensive, and I think it was in "butter" format.

Gardenia is my absolute favourite flower - but I've learned over the years of searching for the "perfect" perfume rendition - that I don't want it in a perfume. I prefer the real thing, because several hours of smelling it is just TOO much.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Histoires de Parfums 1873 I did a side by side as some said it smelled like Guerlain's AA Pamplelune. They both contain citrus and thats about the end of that! 1873 has a much more subtle citrus and by the time you reach mid drydown, its mostly, orange blossom, lavendar and caramel. that may not sound good but it really is:love: I would consider this def. gourmand for the summer. AA Pampalune is so light, it just dosen't last that long. I remember trying this out in winter and thinking it would make a good summer scent, but no, it would make a great winter scent to get one out the dulldoms to be honest!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night/this morning I looked at how many bottles I have below the halfway mark and its quite a few. That either means I'm going to run out of a few things at the same time or, not...lots of these are pretty darn strong and its taken me years to get to this marker.

So from that bunch, today I'm wearing DelRae Mythique. My bottle is strong and the orris butter is extremely heavy with a touch of ivy. I heard that the newer ones are not as great smelling.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is a very strange layering....

Caron Tubereuse and Man! Darrin. Hmmmmmm I won't do this again....lol

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another empty bottle! Roberter Verino VV Platinum. I do plan on getting another bottle for sure.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all :dance:

I broke down and bought a bottle of Mugler Aura. I didn't like it at first, but I'm hooked now. It's like a mix of spearmint gum, Eden (Cacharel) and Palmolive dish soap (the OG green on). Heaven.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@daneshpastry you are lucky. I tried it and lets just say it was not for me...lol Muglers don't tend to work well for me for whatever reason. I always wonder if its just my hormones need to settle more. I can finally wear more guerlain's without funky cat piss notes. (which is something to be thankful for!!)

Today is Mona d' Orio Tubereuse. I go back and forth on if I will get another bottle or no. maybe not, I sometimes just forget I have this stuff. I love it of course when I DO wear it, so there's that. On days like today though, soon as you go outside it blossoms then gone in 30 minutes:shock::(2

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mugler rant stands. They are not for me.

I'm still on perfume mostly-hiatus, but today I'm wearing Rosabotanica which sticks around, wears closely, and is pretty light overall, at least to my nose. A few days ago it was 109. Thankfully it's now in the low 90s. But scents just seem.....queasy inducing in this heat. So I'm lying low for now. I'll pull out something intense as soon as it cools off a bit.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been basically rotating between Samsara EDT, Amouage Beloved Woman and Amouage Dia Woman all summer. And perhaps suffocating everybody around me...!?!? Anyways I ran out of Beloved so had to place an order tonight, just remembered this thread and came to say hi!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am lemming for MDCI Chypre Palatin in their fancy Limoges bust bottle right now. I would actually love to have all of their offerings in their Limoges bottles!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Aren't those Limoges toppers incredible?

I can fully understand Mugler not working for everyone, although I find Aura to be something I could actually wear outside the house, whereas Angel - no. :lol-2:

Wearing Shiseido Everbloom today. My SO warned me that he it was on the "no" list. He *hates* a certain aromachemical (lily of the valley I think) that evokes a bad memory and has "mentioned" that he'd rather if I wore something else at home. I don't normally give two #$*&s about comments like that, but we have to live together, so I guess I have to compromise. :eek2:

Do any of you have the same issue? Something you love, but the family doesn't?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have test driven cartier le baiser fou... just because I like baiser vole and fou seemed to be a flanker (same package and bottle in a different colourway).
It was an all time low... I kept thinking: why did you buy this awful laundry detergent???
, whenever I caught whiffs of the perfume... Soooo bad, even for functional fragrance... beuurkk..
Back to myrrhe églantine

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aren't those Limoges toppers incredible?

I can fully understand Mugler not working for everyone, although I find Aura to be something I could actually wear outside the house, whereas Angel - no. :lol-2:

Wearing Shiseido Everbloom today. My SO warned me that he it was on the "no" list. He *hates* a certain aromachemical (lily of the valley I think) that evokes a bad memory and has "mentioned" that he'd rather if I wore something else at home. I don't normally give two #$*&s about comments like that, but we have to live together, so I guess I have to compromise. :eek2:

Anything "old lady" ( aldehydes) gets that comment... I don't care much... but I try to wear the really heavy ones (31, rue cambon) when DH is not around

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have the same issue, I feel like the more I love a frag the more the family will hate it.
I have a long list of these "banned" frags - Magie Noire...Angel....Opium....which are kinda understandable but also just random anything and everything including No.5, Arpege, L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Nahema, Samsara, Dune, Diorissimo, Faubourg 24, Caleche, L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, basically all Amouage, all Serge Lutens, etc.
I think I am allowed to wear, I don't know, maybe La Vie Est Belle....that's about it??? So yeah I just ignore the "ban" list. :lol:

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the same issue, I feel like the more I love a frag the more the family will hate it.
I have a long list of these "banned" frags - Magie Noire...Angel....Opium....which are kinda understandable but also just random anything and everything including No.5, Arpege, L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Nahema, Samsara, Dune, Diorissimo, Faubourg 24, Caleche, L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, basically all Amouage, all Serge Lutens, etc.
I think I am allowed to wear, I don't know, maybe La Vie Est Belle....that's about it??? So yeah I just ignore the "ban" list. :lol:

DUNE? No. They'd be out on the streets. :boohoo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results