shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, it just arrived. I haven't opened it yet, but this thing is in such utterly perfect condition I can hardly stand it. And it actually looks to be pre-1950. :shock: I'm a bit in shock.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is the "new" Miss Dior not the same as the old Cherie?

Such a dumb marketing move - renaming fragrances the same as previous ones. YSL just did it with Y. Guerlain does it constantly. Why do they want to confuse their customers?

Speaking of Guerlain - I was there the other day, and apparently they have a reward program (?) The lady said I had enough points for a bottle of Meteorites. I was surprised because I thought they had discontinued Meteorites. Nope! It's a roomspray now. Smells pretty much the same.

Miss Dior is supposed to be a successor/replacement to Miss Dior Cherie. They kept reformulating the Cherie and then suddenly dropped the Cherie from the name few years ago. They don't smell like the same perfume either....the original Cherie had a strawberry caramel note, which was at the core of its identity. They droppped caramel first, then strawberry, when it was being morphed over the years.

So freaking annoying. I actually hate reformulatons more than outright discontinuation bc it makes hunting down old bottles more difficult. Miss Dior Cherie/Miss dior is such a mess, gotta really watch out for minute differences in packaging to know what you are getting. Many Dior fumes are like that.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's one of those now commanding huge prices, but to me Miss Dior is the now called Originale.

Dane, it's not the same, the old Cherie was discontinued in 2012 I think and replaced by Miss Dior EDP which is a bit like Flowerbomb or Coco Mademoiselle EDP to my nose.

They changed it again last year and Miss Dior's now a syrupy woody rose, it's nice but nothing unusual about it.

I liked Meteorites, now it's a room spray??

Exactly. To me Miss Dior = Miss Dior Originale. Like it makes no sense to name the current "Miss Dior EDP" as such, bc the original Miss Dior smelled nothing like that.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, y'all, I'd like you to meet the fam. :) I'm sure it's the 50s-60s now, not prior to then. Still, this stuff could be older than ME, and that's sobering.

the_fam.jpg unopened.jpg bottom_logo.jpg

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, y'all, I'd like you to meet the fam. :) I'm sure it's the 50s-60s now, not prior to then. Still, this stuff could be older than ME, and that's sobering.

Nice! I collect vintage bottles too....Mainly Samsara and Opium so mine aren't that old compared to yours. They are from the 80s or the 90s. The only problem is I mainly hoard the vintage bottles, never actually end up wearing them bc of fear of depleting them....I wear the current formulations and sniff the old bottles in private and obsess lolol.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

'Heaven....I'm in heaven.....and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak!'

Wow, what a fantastic collection K!!:eek-2::love:

Definitely fifties or sixties, I had a brand new bottle of Parfum in the late seventies and it was in the bottle we know today. I remember seeing a photo of Marilyn putting on her No 5 and the bottle she was using was the same as one of yours.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - are you going to ever open that parfum????

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh today, Chamade extrait by Guerlain as it's a sunny spring morning.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - are you going to ever open that parfum????

Definitely! :)

And Cockatiel, I won't be hoarding this. I'm going to enjoy it with great abandon. I even plan to share it (the EDT probably) with select friends. I plan to sally forth every day in a cloud of classic old scent that makes the children gasp at my ancientness and gall. I LIVE for it. ;-) (OK, I'm kidding a bit, but I do plan to wear it without apology, even as I am careful to not marinate, which clearly, I have enough to do, amirite?)

On to the strangeness though. Nowhere on either the box or bottle does it say "France", yet clearly this thing is authentic to the nth degree. The bottle is most likely from the 50s, yet, I inquired on https://chanelperfumebottles.blogspot.com, and the lady who is supposedly the expert, came back and said my bottle was likely made and bottled in Hoboken. :shock:

Apparently, during the war, production was moved out of France for a time, but it didn't last long (I've read) and soon moved back to France where it has remained to this day. The question becomes when exactly, did production cease in the US. Because I would think it did not have to go on very long post war, since France was not the total shambles that the rest of Europe was. I would think production could have moved back relatively quickly, like before 1950. This bottle has some oddities to my eye, that makes me wonder if it was on the cusp of that transition, possibly pre-1950. More research is needed.

Also, being a good PS'er, I pulled out my trusty old loupe, and examined the neck and seal quite closely. On the lip of the neck, on both sides, is what appears to be a flattened oval spot where the rounded lip has been ground down. This is tiny, and can't be seen without the loupe, but I wonder why it's there. Hmmm....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are good looking perfume bottles @ksinger. Classic and elegant and sophisticated.

Also, being a good PS'er, I pulled out my trusty old loupe, and examined the neck and seal quite closely. On the lip of the neck, on both sides, is what appears to be a flattened oval spot where the rounded lip has been ground down. This is tiny, and can't be seen without the loupe, but I wonder why it's there. Hmmm....

Hahaha a true PSer. Loupe it baby. :cheeky:
I do not know what it means (though I could guess) but hopefully one of our resident Perfumistas will know.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Gucci II Gosh I forget how much I love this! Of course it does get forced to the back of the closet sometimes :cry2::lol-2:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are good looking perfume bottles @ksinger. Classic and elegant and sophisticated.

Hahaha a true PSer. Loupe it baby. :cheeky:
I do not know what it means (though I could guess) but hopefully one of our resident Perfumistas will know.

Well come ON! Guess! Because I'm stumped and need some ideas. o_O

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Miss Dior is supposed to be a successor/replacement to Miss Dior Cherie. They kept reformulating the Cherie and then suddenly dropped the Cherie from the name few years ago. They don't smell like the same perfume either....the original Cherie had a strawberry caramel note, which was at the core of its identity. They droppped caramel first, then strawberry, when it was being morphed over the years.

So freaking annoying. I actually hate reformulatons more than outright discontinuation bc it makes hunting down old bottles more difficult. Miss Dior Cherie/Miss dior is such a mess, gotta really watch out for minute differences in packaging to know what you are getting. Many Dior fumes are like that.

I hear ya. It seems like every company is guilty of this these days - I actually appreciate packaging changes now so I can tell what vintage I'm buying.

Wearing Antiheros by Etat Libre today - a nice, simple lavender-musk.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well come ON! Guess! Because I'm stumped and need some ideas. o_O

Well could it be because they wanted to reseal it to prevent the perfume from evaporating? I believe some people will drip candle wax at the seal to prevent spills when transporting. So perhaps along the same idea to keep the perfume as pristine as possible and not evaporate or spill? Just a guess. I am probably completely wrong.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if that ground down bit is to help give the stopper some grip?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well could it be because they wanted to reseal it to prevent the perfume from evaporating? I believe some people will drip candle wax at the seal to prevent spills when transporting. So perhaps along the same idea to keep the perfume as pristine as possible and not evaporate or spill? Just a guess. I am probably completely wrong.

Makes sense.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere today

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope. I can assure you, this bottle has never been opened, so no re-sealing. The baudruche is perfect still - I can see that with my loupe too, as is the cording and the seal. No, the rolled lip at the top of the neck has been ground in a tiny perpendicular (to the table top) oval spot at 3 and 9 o'clock and it appears that the baudruche is intact over it. In no way does it show unless you're in there with magnification, so the bottle neck, when looked at, shows as perfectly symmetrically round.

It's a mystery to me.

Oh and BTW, while not open yet, you can smell that stuff if you put it up to your nose - HEAVY civet. Unopened, it's reminding me of the EDC.

Oh, today I'm wearing the EDT :) And I'm beginning to tease out the differences between my EDC and EDT. I may be all wet on this, but I will hazard a guess that the EDC is actually a civet bomb it's reputed to be, while the EDT skips emphasizing that note in favor of more sandalwood.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely! :)

And Cockatiel, I won't be hoarding this. I'm going to enjoy it with great abandon. I even plan to share it (the EDT probably) with select friends. I plan to sally forth every day in a cloud of classic old scent that makes the children gasp at my ancientness and gall. I LIVE for it. ;-) (OK, I'm kidding a bit, but I do plan to wear it without apology, even as I am careful to not marinate, which clearly, I have enough to do, amirite?)

On to the strangeness though. Nowhere on either the box or bottle does it say "France", yet clearly this thing is authentic to the nth degree. The bottle is most likely from the 50s, yet, I inquired on https://chanelperfumebottles.blogspot.com, and the lady who is supposedly the expert, came back and said my bottle was likely made and bottled in Hoboken. :shock:

Apparently, during the war, production was moved out of France for a time, but it didn't last long (I've read) and soon moved back to France where it has remained to this day. The question becomes when exactly, did production cease in the US. Because I would think it did not have to go on very long post war, since France was not the total shambles that the rest of Europe was. I would think production could have moved back relatively quickly, like before 1950. This bottle has some oddities to my eye, that makes me wonder if it was on the cusp of that transition, possibly pre-1950. More research is needed.

Possibly flattened to keep the bottle from rolling and allowing it to lay flat? Its a mystery to me.

Wait wait, maybe is it where the wrapping is laying? if thats the case, its ground down to make sure the string has a place to land.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I can assure you, this bottle has never been opened, so no re-sealing. The baudruche is perfect still - I can see that with my loupe too, as is the cording and the seal. No, the rolled lip at the top of the neck has been ground in a tiny perpendicular (to the table top) oval spot at 3 and 9 o'clock and it appears that the baudruche is intact over it. In no way does it show unless you're in there with magnification, so the bottle neck, when looked at, shows as perfectly symmetrically round.

It's a mystery to me.

Oh and BTW, while not open yet, you can smell that stuff if you put it up to your nose - HEAVY civet. Unopened, it's reminding me of the EDC.

Oh, today I'm wearing the EDT :) And I'm beginning to tease out the differences between my EDC and EDT. I may be all wet on this, but I will hazard a guess that the EDC is actually a civet bomb it's reputed to be, while the EDT skips emphasizing that note in favor of more sandalwood.

Gah.....I'm hopping up and down here wishing we had Smello - Vision so I could get a whiff of this.....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly flattened to keep the bottle from rolling and allowing it to lay flat? Its a mystery to me.

Wait wait, maybe is it where the wrapping is laying? if thats the case, its ground down to make sure the string has a place to land.

Nope. Look at this graphic:
http://media0.faz.net/ppmedia/aktuell/3593105478/1.2164524/default/bestaendig-der-flakon-von.jpg

See the rolled lip at the top of the neck? The cord is under that, and above it, around the stopper. The rolled lip is never touched by cording. The flattened spot on that lip is edge on, viewing from the front - and the elongated aspect of an oval is parallel to the floorYou would only be able to see the flat spot if you rotated the bottle 90 degrees and it

....and HA! Hubs just took a look and said it was probably the sprue attachment points of when the bottle cast, which had to be ground off!

THAT sounds the most reasonable. :) And that's why I married him, to give me a fresh perspective.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah.....I'm hopping up and down here wishing we had Smello - Vision so I could get a whiff of this.....

I wish you could too! I haven't smelled it properly yet myself. So soon I'm going to have to undertake the delicate and nerve-wracking task of getting this thing open, that has been sealed for what I now believe to be over 20 years before I was born, without breaking it. :shock:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://media0.faz.net/ppmedia/aktuell/3593105478/1.2164524/default/bestaendig-der-flakon-von.jpg

See the rolled lip at the top of the neck? The cord is under that, and above it, around the stopper. The rolled lip is never touched by cording. The flattened spot on that lip is edge on, viewing from the front - and the elongated aspect of an oval is parallel to the floorYou would only be able to see the flat spot if you rotated the bottle 90 degrees and it

....and HA! Hubs just took a look and said it was probably the sprue attachment points of when the bottle cast, which had to be ground off!

THAT sounds the most reasonable. :) And that's why I married him, to give me a fresh perspective.

Lovely. Mystery solved. Lesson learned. Ask DH first. Hahahaha that’s what I generally do. :sun:

I wish you could too! I haven't smelled it properly yet myself. So soon I'm going to have to undertake the delicate and nerve-wracking task of getting this thing open, that has been sealed for what I now believe to be over 20 years before I was born, without breaking it. :shock:

Good luck and yummm.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On a unrelated note, can anyone recommend Amouage samples for me to try?
I haven't bought any jewelry in a while and I just have an itch to spend $ on something...so going to order samples. :lol:

I own and love:
Lyric Woman
Memoir Woman
Beloved Woman

I might still get a bottle of Dia Pour Femme

I liked:
Gold Pour Femme
Lyric Man
Ubar

Don't like:
Reflection Man
Reflection Woman
Fate Woman
Jubilation XXV Man
Journey Woman - got vvv sick from it :errrr:. Don't get along w osmanthus in general....

I haven't tried the newer Amouages, and haven't tested most of the Man versions. Do you have any recommendations based on my prefernces?

Last edited:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

O I see what you mean now! I couldn't visualize what you were saying, but was thinking how it's possible for something small like that (visible only when louped) could have a purpose on a macro scale. I was thinking it's gotta be an after effect or an accident. Makes sense when I saw the images and read your husband's explanation. :clap:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't bought any jewelry in a while and I just have an itch to spend $ on something...so going to order samples. :lol:

I own and love:
Lyric Woman
Memoir Woman
Beloved Woman

I liked:
Gold Pour Femme
Lyric Man
Ubar

Don't like:
Reflection Man
Reflection Woman
Fate Woman
Jubilation XXV Man
Journey Woman - got vvv sick from it :errrr:. Don't get along w osmanthus in general....

I haven't tried the newer Amouages, and haven't tested most of the Man versions. Do you have any recommendations based on my prefernces?

I have tried nothing by Amouage, but it sure gets a lot of love everywhere. Any suggestions, knowing that I love aldehydic florals and mostly dislike oud? And where is the best place to go for samples of their stuff?

(Yes, I could check myself where to get samples, but I am in the mood for hand-holding and having someone tell me what to do. I know: not me at all, but we all have days, right? ;-) )

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I own and love:
Lyric Woman
Memoir Woman
Beloved Woman

I liked:
Gold Pour Femme
Lyric Man
Ubar

Don't like:
Reflection Man
Reflection Woman
Fate Woman
Jubilation XXV Man

Lilac Love and the new Blossom Love are beautiful, I have both. LL is a warm, slightly chocolate fragrance with a hint of lilac, it's a gentle gourmand.

Blossom Love is all about a woody cherry for me, it's sweet and pink but with a bite....

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, Ksinger! I'm loving my Pricescope friends along with the combination of knowledge and humor they share every day! This fragrance thread is lots of fun and very interesting!
You can call me anything you'd like! I'll always answer! :)

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have tried nothing by Amouage, but it sure gets a lot of love everywhere. Any suggestions, knowing that I love aldehydic florals and mostly dislike oud? And where is the best place to go for samples of their stuff?

(Yes, I could check myself where to get samples, but I am in the mood for hand-holding and having someone tell me what to do. I know: not me at all, but we all have days, right? ;-) )

I think you might like Gold Pour Femme, and Dia Pour Femme!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lilac Love and the new Blossom Love are beautiful, I have both. LL is a warm, slightly chocolate fragrance with a hint of lilac, it's a gentle gourmand.

Blossom Love is all about a woody cherry for me, it's sweet and pink but with a bite....

Thanks! I will include both when I order samples! They both sound loevely, especially Lilac Love.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results