shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have tried nothing by Amouage, but it sure gets a lot of love everywhere. Any suggestions, knowing that I love aldehydic florals and mostly dislike oud? And where is the best place to go for samples of their stuff?

(Yes, I could check myself where to get samples, but I am in the mood for hand-holding and having someone tell me what to do. I know: not me at all, but we all have days, right? ;-) )

Sorry not sure where the best place would be to order Amouage samples from in the US as I don't live there now - you are in the US right? It would be interesting to see what you think of Dia especially, because people compare it to No.5 a lot. I don't think they are THAT similar, but lots of people seem to think they are.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whooo HOOO! I got it open!! A mere 6 minutes in the freezer, a kitchen towel, some twisting (through the towel), and a bit of gentle banging with a screwdriver handle, and then some more twisting, and it MOVED!! Alas, I had to destroy the cording and seal, but it's open. And it's pretty amazing. I finally understand about the beautiful balance people always note when talking about the extrait. And I don't think I would have understood that had I not smelled the EDC and EDT first. Yes, there is discernible civet, but it's not a civet bomb like the EDC. The florals are more pronounce and balance the civet, particularly the jasmine is what I'm smelling. And I'm even getting the sandalwood, but I'm sure I'll get more of that later. So yes, balanced and gorgeous. It is my goal to wear this until one of us - the perfume or me, is gone. ;-)

It would be fun to compare it to a current version, but I don't know anyone who has it, and I don't think they have one at the place that carries Chanel. They don't have the extraits available for sniffing, if they ever did.

Wish I had Smell-O-Vision for you guys!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whooo HOOO! I got it open!! A mere 6 minutes in the freezer, a kitchen towel, some twisting (through the towel), and a bit of gentle banging with a screwdriver handle, and then some more twisting, and it MOVED!! Alas, I had to destroy the cording and seal, but it's open. And it's pretty amazing. I finally understand about the beautiful balance people always note when talking about the extrait. And I don't think I would have understood that had I not smelled the EDC and EDT first. Yes, there is discernible civet, but it's not a civet bomb like the EDC. The florals are more pronounce and balance the civet, particularly the jasmine is what I'm smelling. And I'm even getting the sandalwood, but I'm sure I'll get more of that later. So yes, balanced and gorgeous. It is my goal to wear this until one of us - the perfume or me, is gone. ;-)

It would be fun to compare it to a current version, but I don't know anyone who has it, and I don't think they have one at the place that carries Chanel. They don't have the extraits available for sniffing, if they ever did.

The Chanel counter I go to has rows of porcelain rods infused with perfume - so you can smell every concentration - it's great.

Glad to hear you go the bottle open safely! Enjoy!

Re: Amouage - I find their line overwhelming. I was a fan a while ago, but since they started releasing the Opus scents, I've completely lost track. Gold is, of course, stunning - as is its little sister Dia. In the men's line, Dia Man is a standout (floral-cardamom-woody). And I've always had a soft spot for Ubar since it was reintroduced/reformulated about 10 year ago. But it's BIIIIIIGGGGGG. Not for the faint of heart.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Chanel counter I go to has rows of porcelain rods infused with perfume - so you can smell every concentration - it's great.

Glad to hear you go the bottle open safely! Enjoy!

Re: Amouage - I find their line overwhelming. I was a fan a while ago, but since they started releasing the Opus scents, I've completely lost track. Gold is, of course, stunning - as is its little sister Dia. In the men's line, Dia Man is a standout (floral-cardamom-woody). And I've always had a soft spot for Ubar since it was reintroduced/reformulated about 10 year ago. But it's BIIIIIIGGGGGG. Not for the faint of heart.

I can't do many Amouage, they're a bit too strong personality wise for me. I have Fate Woman, Sunshine and the two Loves but that's about it. I've tried a few and just couldn't, they're too complex.

I have the Opus set in samples and didn't like those either, I think it's 3 which is the violet and that one made me nauseous.:eek-2:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bet it's amazing, SO jealous.

Hey, have you tried Chanel No 22 if you love aldehydic florals?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree with you 100%, I used to love Amouage but totally got a bit lost when they started releasing the newer/atypical stuff. And I've smelled some of the Opus line but none really stood out. The one I rememeber is the Opus VIII, a white floral, which didn't wow me either. I've got to test Dia Man for sure. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm a big lover of Gold, Dia and Ubar (I think of them as relatives) as well as Lyric and Memoir. I love Beloved Woman and even that I found a little.....atypical of Amouage? The recent stuff is probably not like those at all so I am adjusting expectations.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't do many Amouage, they're a bit too strong personality wise for me. I have Fate Woman, Sunshine and the two Loves but that's about it. I've tried a few and just couldn't, they're too complex.

I have the Opus set in samples and didn't like those either, I think it's 3 which is the violet and that one made me nauseous.:eek-2:

I don't blame you....I love monster florals and orientals and even for me some Amouage are way too much.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't blame you....I love monster florals and orientals and even for me some Amouage are way too much.

Interesting. I love monster florals (obviously) but as you say, sometimes something can be just too...too.

Not necessarily floral, but one I tried that I thought I was going to die if I didn't get more, ended up just making me want to die. Seriously. I tried Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Woman 3 times. The first 2 I was totally in love, found it intoxicating and that it dried down beautifully. The 3rd time? I don't know what the deal was, but it NEVER dried down...stayed like the open forEVER, or so my sometimes wonky nose told me. It made me slightly ill and became a total scrubber.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet it's amazing, SO jealous.

Hey, have you tried Chanel No 22 if you love aldehydic florals?

I haven't. Or at least not in nearly 4 decades, so no. And one just slipped by on eBay. Although, I'm very very VERY picky about details and I wasn't sure on that one, so I was already inclined to pass.

No, the next vintage will probably be the Arpege. And I will be doing a blind buy on that just like I would with a Chanel No 22.

I bet I'd like both of them though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't. Or at least not in nearly 4 decades, so no. And one just slipped by on eBay. Although, I'm very very VERY picky about details and I wasn't sure on that one, so I was already inclined to pass.

No, the next vintage will probably be the Arpege. And I will be doing a blind buy on that just like I would with a Chanel No 22.

I bet I'd like both of them though.

I have a feeling you might need No 22.....:Up_to_something:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. I love monster florals (obviously) but as you say, sometimes something can be just too...too.

Not necessarily floral, but one I tried that I thought I was going to die if I didn't get more, ended up just making me want to die. Seriously. I tried Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Woman 3 times. The first 2 I was totally in love, found it intoxicating and that it dried down beautifully. The 3rd time? I don't know what the deal was, but it NEVER dried down...stayed like the open forEVER, or so my sometimes wonky nose told me. It made me slightly ill and became a total scrubber.

Ormonde Woman was one of my loves but I think my taste or skin has changed, it's a weird one.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg you guys, I know what you mean regarding Ormonde Woman. I thought I loved it then something happened....makes me a little ill to think of it now. It is very distinctive for sure and even when I thought I liked it it never found comfy and easy to wear....gosh ....I had totally forgotten about it and you guys reminded me of it, I can smell it in my mind lol. I get a similar vibe from Goutal Nuit Etoilee.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But they are not bad scents by any means, just very....aromatic??? Like I prefer them as ambient scent not perfume.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOod god I just tried dolce and gabbana garden edp and I smell like pina colada ice cream! :lol-2: I'll only get it if George Clooney or Matthew McConnaughey think it's sexy on me!

I ended up buying Giorgio Armani's sky de gioia edp. Smells like 90s sweet and light. Reminds me of curve but more age appropriate.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amouagefamily.jpg

Thats the old family, I have one more than this.
Lyric - Spiced Rose
Interlude - Walnuts, coffee, Kiwi
Honour - White floral (love this one)
Sunshine - tobaco osmanthus almonds, black currant
Beloved - chamomile, lavendar, sage, leather, woody notes
Fate- hot pepper, cinnimon, rose, something powdery
Memoir - honey, smoke, leather, wormwood, cloves, honey
Braken (not pictured, I just got it not long ago) - Ferns, chamomile, berries, leather

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
amouagefamily.jpg

Thats the old family, I have one more than this.
Lyric - Spiced Rose
Interlude - Walnuts, coffee, Kiwi
Honour - White floral (love this one)
Sunshine - tobaco osmanthus almonds, black currant
Beloved - chamomile, lavendar, sage, leather, woody notes
Fate- hot pepper, cinnimon, rose, something powdery
Memoir - honey, smoke, leather, wormwood, cloves, honey
Braken (not pictured, I just got it not long ago) - Ferns, chamomile, berries, leather

Nice family!
I love Lyric, Beloved and Memoir from your list.

I am interested in Braken and Honour the most.
Interlude sounds interesting but can't imagine what it would smell like at all...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice family!
I love Lyric, Beloved and Memoir from your list.

I am interested in Braken and Honour the most.
Interlude sounds interesting but can't imagine what it would smell like at all...

Honour gets me the most compliments. I can understand why, but some people have issues with the rhubarb (they say it smells like dirty dishwater) I don't get that.

Braken is .....VERY green! the berry (not sure what it is) helps to keep it from being to scratchy. Its the one that dosen't last as long as the others strangely.

I LUV memoir. I have the EDP and a large decant of Extrait. I prefer the extrait because you get more leather.

Interlude is a rather weird bird. I wear it in high summer here....lol It really dosen't smell as good in winter for me.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got side tracked and am gonna buy a ring mount instead of ordering frag samples lolol. Really it's the least I can do to keep the spending in check, to try to buy one thing at a time and at least try to wait till I recieve it until I hit that purchase button again. :lol:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wearing the trusty Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia today. Really, I don't need to keep buying white florals as I wear this one, Carolina Herrera and Fracas most of the time.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After yesterdays exciting binge on No 5, today I am wearing Carnal Flower. It seems we may be on the same wavelength today Cockatiel. Even to the thing about not needing any more white florals. The one that seems to have won my heart is j'adore l'absolu. J'adore gets a lot of hate for reformulation and less than impressive flankers - most of it deserved, but this one is lovely to my nose. It's one of those I put on and go, "Ahhhhhh!". It's like a comfortable blanket or glass of wine or coming home - just total ahhhhh. :)

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After yesterdays exciting binge on No 5, today I am wearing Carnal Flower. It seems we may be on the same wavelength today Cockatiel. Even to the thing about not needing any more white florals. The one that seems to have won my heart is j'adore l'absolu. J'adore gets a lot of hate for reformulation and less than impressive flankers - most of it deserved, but this one is lovely to my nose. It's one of those I put on and go, "Ahhhhhh!". It's like a comfortable blanket or glass of wine or coming home - just total ahhhhh. :)

Taking mental notes to sniff J'Adore L'Absolu if I run into it next time....

I like Carnal Flower too! White florals are probably my favorite category.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking mental notes to sniff J'Adore L'Absolu if I run into it next time....

I like Carnal Flower too! White florals are probably my favorite category.

My love of No 5 aside, I probably fall into that category too. It's certainly the top of my floral addiction.

I'll warn you, where I am at least, you can't find l'absolu in the stores, only the flankers and j'adore l'or. I fear Dior may be getting ready to either discontinue it, or pull it back to themselves only. Anyway, the l'or is NOT good, not to my nose. I tried it several times and, eww, what happened to that stuff I tried and loved, thought I. What happened, I think, is that the store I frequent, had ONE old tester of l'absolu out when I was there. I tried it, loved it, but when I went back, mistook the l'or for the l'absolu. Long story short, I ended up ordering directly from Dior. You CAN find it on eBay for much better prices though. I just saw a bottle (and it's a 2.5 oz bottle only) for $55. I was tempted to buy it to stockpile, but no. I slapped my own hand and bought the No 5 instead. To quote Ursula the sea witch, "Life's just full of tough choices, i'n'it??" ;)2

If you are a white floral girl, I can pretty much assure you (as much as one can with these things) that you will love the stuff.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Have you tried J'Adore Touch de Parfum? It's beauuuuuutiful. It basically bypasses topnotes and just goes straight for a jasmine-sandalwood drydown. Not miles away from Bois des Iles. I've asked for a bottle for my birthday (along with a silver bathtub chain from Tiffy's :whistle:)

Wearing Dior Eau Noire today. The green tsavorite of perfumes.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried J'Adore Touch de Parfum? It's beauuuuuutiful. It basically bypasses topnotes and just goes straight for a jasmine-sandalwood drydown. Not miles away from Bois des Iles. I've asked for a bottle for my birthday (along with a silver bathtub chain from Tiffy's :whistle:)

Oh STOP IT!! Just STOP! Back to the pit, foul temptress! (wails the hypocrite who was trying to entice Cockatiel into a blind buy.)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Costume National Scent Intense.
"Tea! I just love tea, really I do" - from a long forgotten Bugs Bunny cartoon.

And indeedy you get tea and hibiscus with a dose of laminated amber. Why this would work is beyond imagination, but it does. Its slick, modern, with a twist of "WTF" thrown in for good measure. The amber here is dry, making it suitable for those who the sticky sweet ambers are a turn off. The most interesting is the Synth notes mixed with Tea. You have something natural and something not. But its not a turnoff strangely enough.

Another strangely good perfumes with this sort of weirdness would be Gucci Rush. To which I not only have fond memories of, but also who I wore it for. Wearing GR for me takes me back to "being in the club".

I've read that newer bottles are not as potent which is a shame. I will nurse mine (really no need since a spray or 2 will do you)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was going to suggest touche de parfum as well. So gorgeous ! And I bought this instead of Grand Bal from their collection privée, do it was practically free!! Perfumath working here:lol-2:

Today I'm wearing Costume National Scent Intense.
"Tea! I just love tea, really I do" - from a long forgotten Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Ha, I just ordered this yesterday. Funny you mention it today!!

SOTD Chanel Gardenia. Beautiful white floral... spring is finally here!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh STOP IT!! Just STOP! Back to the pit, foul temptress! (wails the hypocrite who was trying to entice Cockatiel into a blind buy.)

It's "tempter" actually ;-) Believe that I will continue, no doubt about it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg you guys, I know what you mean regarding Ormonde Woman. I thought I loved it then something happened....makes me a little ill to think of it now. It is very distinctive for sure and even when I thought I liked it it never found comfy and easy to wear....gosh ....I had totally forgotten about it and you guys reminded me of it, I can smell it in my mind lol. I get a similar vibe from Goutal Nuit Etoilee.

Ha! I have the same trouble with Nuit Etoilee, I think it's the moringa immortelle or whatever it is, but there's this one note that keeps rearing its ugly head and ruins it.

I think it might be the Iso E Super in OW, it has that smell to it, quite distinctive.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And it's Coco Mademoiselle Intense today.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg
My love of No 5 aside, I probably fall into that category too. It's certainly the top of my floral addiction.

I'll warn you, where I am at least, you can't find l'absolu in the stores, only the flankers and j'adore l'or. I fear Dior may be getting ready to either discontinue it, or pull it back to themselves only. Anyway, the l'or is NOT good, not to my nose. I tried it several times and, eww, what happened to that stuff I tried and loved, thought I. What happened, I think, is that the store I frequent, had ONE old tester of l'absolu out when I was there. I tried it, loved it, but when I went back, mistook the l'or for the l'absolu. Long story short, I ended up ordering directly from Dior. You CAN find it on eBay for much better prices though. I just saw a bottle (and it's a 2.5 oz bottle only) for $55. I was tempted to buy it to stockpile, but no. I slapped my own hand and bought the No 5 instead. To quote Ursula the sea witch, "Life's just full of tough choices, i'n'it??" ;)2

If you are a white floral girl, I can pretty much assure you (as much as one can with these things) that you will love the stuff.
Omggg my curiosity has been piqued now :eek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results