shape
carat
color
clarity

Found out what she likes, take your final vote

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 5:09:49 PM
Author: FrekeChild
You realize that all stones are going to look different in different lighting right? Some color shifts are more obvious than others (my ering spinel going from purple to blue, alexandrite going from green to red, etc), but I have yet to see any stone that is the exact same in every lighting. And that has to do with the lighting spectrum, not the stone.
I understand that, that stone is already sold anyways. I just want it to remain pink, and not fade to another color.

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=2812

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 5:09:49 PM
Author: FrekeChild
You realize that all stones are going to look different in different lighting right? Some color shifts are more obvious than others (my ering spinel going from purple to blue, alexandrite going from green to red, etc), but I have yet to see any stone that is the exact same in every lighting. And that has to do with the lighting spectrum, not the stone.
Agreed. The pink tourmaline I just got is pink, peach, lavender, purple, etc depending on the light source and surrounding area. The photographs I just took of it in my office look super peach. But all is see is pink when I take the darn camera away.

My super white diamond F ACA H&A can look pink, green, yellow, etc depending on the situation.
31.gif

Ryon,
I don''t disagree with you the the RH is the right stone for you. Just wanted to give my input about your comment about "holding its color". I think that term is meant to be used when a stone gets a bit too cruddy in certain lightings. For instance, when you hear "it''s a day stone" that means it holds its color during the day when there is a strong light source. And then at night it is kinda blah.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto cinnamon. Like going muddy in certain lights. Or like sapphires looking not so great at night.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Okay thanks for the info guys

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just reading all the replies over, and I think you mentioned you don't want a pink stone that doesn't shifts it's color to peach, so according to Gene of precisiongem.com, this stone on his pink tourmaline page holds it's pink color. It may not be the shape or color you want though. Pink or red family color tourmalines that do not go extinct and also hold their pink color in all lighting, are typically more expensive.

Gem 746 - Pink Tourmaline

This one in the link below is prime pink color for a tourmaline, and I can tell it wouldn't shift color at all, but you should ask to make sure. It is expensive, but the color is great. This is one of those stones that you can't drive with because you'll be staring more at your hands than the wheel.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=1951

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour shift and holding its colour are 2 different things.

Colour change
This happens per the absorbtion of the different spectrum of light. The change will be very obvious and on different palettes of the colour wheel. For example,
red to blue or red to green. Gemstone examples are colour change garnets, alexandrites, colour change sapphires, colour change spinels, etc.

Colour shift
Pretty much like the above but the colour shifts to the neighbouring colour palette. For example, orange to yellow or red to purple. Gemstone examples are some colour shift garnets, malaya garnets, etc.

There are some stones that appear to colour shift but are not true colour shifters. Some spinels and tourmalines colour shift but this is due to their inability to hold their colour. Those that are able to hold their colour are prized and cost more accordingly. Other stones that appear to colour shift are really due to dichroism.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This pink tourmaline was cut by Gary Braun, Finewater Gems, and it is AWESOME! This stone is more like a watermelon pink IRL, but I couldn''t take a decent photo of it using my crappy cell phone. I paid a premium for this particular stone because it is unheated and came from top quality Nigerian rough. I don''t see a color shift at all.

You may go with RH because that is the first stone that you really liked. Check out Gary''s website, too.

Lori

GARYBRAUN0142PinkTourmalineCushion400A.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Here is another pink tourmaline that Gary cut for me. This is from the same Nigerian rough and is unheated. No color shift here, either.

Lori

0143PinkTourmalineEmerald400[2].jpg

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for clearing all that up for me guys, sorry I am new you have to remember. =(
I know alot about diamonds but it hasn''t helped me at all with gemstones they are alot more complicated.

Gene has a bunch of really nice designs going on with his stones, especially the concave ones.
I wish that one wasn''t in that shape though.

I like that Gary Cushion cut, it seems really simple tell me a little about yours in detail if you can

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:03:19 AM
Author: Ryon
Thanks for clearing all that up for me guys, sorry I am new you have to remember. =(
I know alot about diamonds but it hasn''t helped me at all with gemstones they are alot more complicated.

Gene has a bunch of really nice designs going on with his stones, especially the concave ones.
I wish that one wasn''t in that shape though.

I like that Gary Cushion cut, it seems really simple tell me a little about yours in detail if you can

Hi Ryon!
36.gif

You have already seen my other thread about the stone, but here are the details anyway:

Here is his Gary''s description:
"It turned out especially nice and the color is
awesome (especially outdoors) - a hot rich pink. It''s also a great
ring size. 3.24 carats, 9.1mm. This is done in one of my favorite
square cushion cuts, as this design is easy for jewelers to set in a
4-prong setting. It would also work great in a bezel setting.

It''s very nearly flawless (VVS) - just a very very small inclusion
near the girdle on one edge. I need magnification to see it. Other
than that it is totally clean."

Lori

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Ryon,
Did you decide not to get the RH stone? I noticed it is still available.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Haven''t made my mind up yet, whatever I get I''ll post pictures but it will be soon. RH has been at a gem show.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 6:13:42 PM
Haven''t made my mind up yet, whatever I get I''ll post pictures but it will be soon. RH has been at a gem show.

We''ll be waiting
9.gif
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2009 6:52:09 PM
Author: icekid

We''ll be waiting
9.gif
3.gif
Uh huh...another one here waiting too.
25.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Just a word of caution, folks read this board and could buy it out from under you. I did talk to RH and know that he is able to sell it at this time. Let me know what you decide or if you are going to decide fairly soon.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 12:17:36 AM
Author: cinnamon013
Just a word of caution, folks read this board and could buy it out from under you.

That they do. One of the spess garnets I was looking at from him sold out in a couple of days after I'd emailed & posted on pricescope - I was warned that two people had requested the same pictures, so he'd sent them. I'm fine with that (I've actually found something else that's being sent to me, that I've admired for a while), but it is something that you need to remember about, if you're sold on this particular stone.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 12:37:19 AM
Author: Magenta

Date: 6/4/2009 12:17:36 AM
Just a word of caution, folks read this board and could buy it out from under you.

That they do. One of the spess garnets I was looking at from him sold out in a couple of days after I'd emailed & posted on pricescope - I was warned that two people had requested the same pictures, so he'd sent them. I'm fine with that (I've actually found something else that's being sent to me, that I've admired for a while), but it is something that you need to remember about, if you're sold on this particular stone.
I wonder how long PS'rs need to be courteous to someone looking at a stone that they have posted and don't have on hold? This one has been under consideration for awhile...
11.gif
Ryon, when do you think you'll be able to make the decision?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2009 12:46:29 AM

I wonder how long PS'rs need to be courteous to someone looking at a stone that they have posted and don't have on hold? This one has been under consideration for awhile...
11.gif
Ryon, when do you think you'll be able to make the decision?

Hmmm... Ryon, it looks to me like you've just been warned!

BTW I still think that's a beautiful stone, pink in the pinkest sense of the word. And... while it may not be amenable to a classic Tiffany setting, there are many setting options that would work, and that would make that beauty sing!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loriken I just want to say that your pink tourmaline is awesome!!!

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
I have plenty of good options at this moment its really come down to what she likes..

RH has tons of great stones on sale and that is not the only one that is stunning..

Thanks for the warning and I would have no hard feelings towards anyone who purchased it (I basically advertised that stone for sale by now)
The decision will be made hopefully by this weekend.
3.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hey,

I have been reading your other threads, and am not sure what kind of stone you want. I don't know what your budget is, but I considered This aqua for a while and think that is a great shade of blue that is very hard to find for an aqua. I have a stone from RH, and love it. Of course, the person you are buying the stone for should like the concave cut.

Also, I know you are working with Richard, and I don't know if anyone has told you this, but you get 10% off if you work with Wink Jones who is kind of the dealer for RH.

I can't wait to see what you end up with

ETA: If she wants a pink stone, you should get a pink stone. I saw your aqua thread and am not sure if you are looking at one stone or several stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firecracker,
Per Wink, you don’t have to work through him for the discount; you only have to mention his name.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Well I let her look through a selection of stones to find her favorite color, I thought it would be easier.. After she looked at them she gave me a list of colors.
Aquamarine and Pink Tourmaline were on the top of the list

Others were some lighter colors of spinel which happened to be way to pricey to get a good one. (she loved amethyst, but didn''t like the darkness of the stone and honestly just wanted something different besides her normal birthstone).

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Also thanks, I don''t know if I will mention his name because I haven''t been in contact with Wink =(

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 10:06:18 AM
Author: Chrono
Firecracker,

Per Wink, you don’t have to work through him for the discount; you only have to mention his name.

Cool

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results