shape
carat
color
clarity

Found out what she likes, take your final vote

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:36:47 PM
Author: cinnamon013

Date: 5/27/2009 4:28:33 PM
Author: Chrono
I guess I must be the only one who likes the pink tourmaline. I think the colour is very saturated, the tone just right and the hue quite pure, not to mention a great value when you consider the expertise and fame of the cutter.
Oh no Chrono - I would take that RH stone for sure! It would look lovely in a ring! It is a very romantic looking stone.
Oh, I''d take it too! Is getting both an option?
31.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:47:05 PM
Author: brandy_z28

I guess I must be the only one who likes the pink tourmaline. I think the colour is very saturated, the tone just right and the hue quite pure, not to mention a great value when you consider the expertise and fame of the cutter.
Oh no Chrono - I would take that RH stone for sure! It would look lovely in a ring! It is a very romantic looking stone.
31.gif
31.gif
what she said
31.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I''m with you Chrono. The RH stone is a "pinker", less nuanced pink, and it sounds as if that''s what your GF would prefer... and it is a marvelous value.

I hope you have these stones on hold btw.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:50:30 PM

31.gif
31.gif
what she said
31.gif
You guys are now all changing your mind?? Hmm she would take either one what a tough decision.. I am a college student though so both won''t work haha. Maybe when I graduate..

My personal experience talking to RH has been great and Barry has been great as well.. 2 outstanding cutters, 2 outstanding stones.. that RH tourmaline really is a break though I must admit, but Gary is a ton cheaper, I mean a TON cheaper

BTW, I dont have these stones on hold, but Barry dosen''t have his up anyways from what I have seen.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Then go with the Barry stone to get started. You can return it if you don''t like it. And it will help you with the funds to set it since it is a bit less.
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barry''s. Love that color shift.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
I can always get them to cut me more, or request one, since the rough is really cheap.. The RH though probly can''t be replaced he said himself what a break it was..

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 6:00:31 PM
Author: Ryon

31.gif
31.gif
what she said
31.gif
You guys are now all changing your mind?? Hmm she would take either one what a tough decision.. I am a college student though so both won''t work haha. Maybe when I graduate..

My personal experience talking to RH has been great and Barry has been great as well.. 2 outstanding cutters, 2 outstanding stones.. that RH tourmaline really is a break though I must admit, but Gary is a ton cheaper, I mean a TON cheaper

BTW, I dont have these stones on hold, but Barry dosen''t have his up anyways from what I have seen.
Nope, not changing my mind. I''d take both!
3.gif
Barry''s first and then the RH for good measure.
2.gif

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
I am not planning on stocking up on stones like you guys do, just getting a simple one for her to wear for a couple years before I get her e-ring.. She lost the ring I got her originally (an amethyst) and has wanted a ring really bad ever since. So instead of going back to the horrible store that I got it from.. (not an online vendor, but from my city) I chose to find the best I could get for her. Which I why I originally asked for the best cutter.

So this is why I am going through so much trouble, and the reason she lost it.. The life-time waranty I got didn''t cover the fact that they couldn''t size the ring down to her finger size so it ended up just falling off one day.. =( They got it close, but not close enough.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SO hard to chooose!!

but I have to say I''d go with Barry''s stone, mainly for the cost. You can always get her a really kick ass setting for it.
36.gif

Richard''s stone is really nice (REEEELY nice
3.gif
) but may not leave room for a kick ass setting.

-A

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 6:08:28 PM

Date: 5/27/2009 6:00:31 PM

31.gif
31.gif
what she said
31.gif

3.gif
2.gif
I wish haha, well buy them and ship them to my house jk jk jk!
You can always pick one then I have to get the other one, thats always an option..

It seems like with RH
Concave cutting takes a ton longer than just cutting a normal round, so the cost will be more no matter who you buy it from.
I heard it darkens the stone (but this one looks great)
The color is perfect
With concave cutting I shouldn''t expect a shine from across the room, but it has an indescribable look to it up close.
The stone is one of a kind and on a huge sale

Barry
The color shift is really unique and takes it from being an average stone to something nicer
Most of you guys prefer him and he seems to be the favorite around here
It is a typical round and will easily fit into a standard setting
It will shine more
A ton cheaper, and looks really good from the link I posted to a real one in another thread

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 6:27:35 PM
Author: Arcadian
SO hard to chooose!!

but I have to say I''d go with Barry''s stone, mainly for the cost. You can always get her a really kick ass setting for it.
36.gif

Richard''s stone is really nice (REEEELY nice
3.gif
) but may not leave room for a kick ass setting.

-A
I was going to go with a simple 4 prong tiffany setting and leave all the attention to the stone. If you got some simple ideas share them with me (no halo settings sorry)

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
So since im getting a plain setting and the focus is on the stone, shouldn''t I go with the RH?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It pains me to type this
39.gif
because I really like that RH stone, but I actually think the Barry stone would look better in a 4-prong tiffany-type setting. Just try to envision where those four prongs would go on the RH stone and you''ll see what I mean.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
could put it in a princess style setting.. or leave the corners at risk, good point.

However, the RH stone is the winner! It holds its color unlike the other. However other stones will be looked at while Richard is away, but if I go for concave there might be your winner.

I don''t think anyone is going to cut a concave as much of a pain as it is, so its if I can find the right color in a nice traditional round or cushion vs that RH stone.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 6:34:23 PM

Date: 5/27/2009 6:08:28 PM
Author:
3.gif
2.gif
I wish haha, well buy them and ship them to my house jk jk jk!
You can always pick one then I have to get the other one, thats always an option..

It seems like with RH
Concave cutting takes a ton longer than just cutting a normal round, so the cost will be more no matter who you buy it from.
I heard it darkens the stone (but this one looks great)
The color is perfect
With concave cutting I shouldn''t expect a shine from across the room, but it has an indescribable look to it up close.
The stone is one of a kind and on a huge sale

Barry
The color shift is really unique and takes it from being an average stone to something nicer
Most of you guys prefer him and he seems to be the favorite around here
It is a typical round and will easily fit into a standard setting
It will shine more
A ton cheaper, and looks really good from the link I posted to a real one in another thread
Like I said on your earlier thread, for a special ring for a special girl, you both will love the RH. I''m surprised that you think concave faceting darkens the stone. What it does is add flashes and sparkle, especially if the stone color is dark to begin with. It doesn''t darken stones at all. You can''t see the sparkle in static pictures. It only becomes apparant in real life.

I love the color of that pink tourmaline.

The Barry stone is a great value, and would be a nice choice as well.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Would it be possible to buy them both and then examine and return the one you don''t choose? It would just be a temporary tie up of your cash. That way you won''t wonder about the other stone and "what might have been".

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 6:04:53 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Barry''s. Love that color shift.
ditto!

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
I am 100% sure the RH stone is the way to go. It seems I was really misled as to what a concave cut was like. It has a lot better color than the other stone, but I will see what else comes up.. Like I said for all of you who still highly dislike concave I will see about a round or cushion. I won''t make a quick decision this stone has to be perfect :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you are leaning towards the RH concave stone. Since you are doing a plain setting, the stone should be as special as possible to make it stand out. The concave doesn't darken the stone but helps deepen the colour. In this case, it's perfect for the pink tourmaline. A pink tourmaline that holds its colour under all lighting condition is a keeper. Many pinks don't.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:40:50 PM
I am glad you are leaning towards the RH concave stone. Since you are doing a plain setting, the stone should be as special as possible to make it stand out. The concave doesn''t darken the stone but helps deepen the colour. In this case, it''s perfect for the pink tourmaline. A pink tourmaline that holds its colour under all lighting condition is a keeper. Many pinks don''t.

Thanks for your help and being the first to really stand up and support that stone. That is a great point, but still I will give others a chance, not in a rush. If I get the ideal color though in a round or square cushion I might change my mind.

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Both of those stones are stunning, and both cutters are super nice and really terrific at what they do. I would have a hard time choosing if I were you too! I think either stone will be a standout on her finger... I would probably go with the Richard Homer stone too, since it sounds like she wants a more true pink, but I honestly think that either stone would make a really nice engagement ring.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
YEAH!!! It sounds like you have made your decision! Get that RH gorgeous tourmaline!!! That cutting is truly special and it will make a killer ring!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 10:08:12 PM
Author: stacy
Both of those stones are stunning, and both cutters are super nice and really terrific at what they do. I would have a hard time choosing if I were you too! I think either stone will be a standout on her finger... I would probably go with the Richard Homer stone too, since it sounds like she wants a more true pink, but I honestly think that either stone would make a really nice engagement ring.
I agree with Stacy. It seems that your GF wants a PINK stone and the RH is a PINK stone.

I personally prefer the Barry stone because it''s less pink. I do think the cutting on the RH is cool though!

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Ryon were you able to examine Barry''s Tourmaline and Richard''s stone in person before making your decision? The pics of Barry''s round stopped me dead in my tracks although I was confused if they were your pics or Barry''s.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chicago,
Those look like Barry''s pictures.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 2:10:04 PM
Author: Chicago
Ryon were you able to examine Barry''s Tourmaline and Richard''s stone in person before making your decision? The pics of Barry''s round stopped me dead in my tracks although I was confused if they were your pics or Barry''s.
They are his pictures, but a good pink tourmaline should hold its color in any light, although some prefer this color shift.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 4:32:48 PM

Ryon were you able to examine Barry's Tourmaline and Richard's stone in person before making your decision? The pics of Barry's round stopped me dead in my tracks although I was confused if they were your pics or Barry's.
They are his pictures, but a good pink tourmaline should hold its color in any light, although some prefer this color shift.
I guess I though "hold its color" meant it didn't blah out, fade out, go dark, etc. I don't take "hold its color" to mean the stone doesn't do it if it has a color shift.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 4:38:08 PM

Date: 5/28/2009 4:32:48 PM

I guess I though ''hold its color'' meant it didn''t blah out, fade out, go dark, etc. I don''t take ''hold its color'' to mean the stone doesn''t do it if it has a color shift.
I think it is a nice stone and someone else can pick it up, Barry seems like a great guy and a good cutter. I just don''t think the pink aspect of the stone should be overpowered by that peachy/brown color. The pink should hold its color in any light (like the RH stone).
In other words, she wants a pink stone, but it was peach in daylight so it is obviously not a good choice for my situation.
The best colors I have seen for pink tourmalines have been from RH and Gene (but he currently doesn''t have any cut that I could get). His cushion is insane, but not eye clean =(

Cut is my biggest thing, followed by color, then finally clarity (eye clean)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You realize that all stones are going to look different in different lighting right? Some color shifts are more obvious than others (my ering spinel going from purple to blue, alexandrite going from green to red, etc), but I have yet to see any stone that is the exact same in every lighting. And that has to do with the lighting spectrum, not the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results