shape
carat
color
clarity

Found an Old Mine Cushion stone. Feedback Please.

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I posted this thread a while ago and just wanted to give soke follow up.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/from-tiffanys-to-vintage-am-i-crazy.222024/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/from-tiffanys-to-vintage-am-i-crazy.222024/[/URL]

So I found a stone that I like and wanted to get an opinion on it. It's from a local jeweler my friends have worked with so I like that.

Here's the GIA info -

It's an Old Mine Brilliant. 3.01 carat, I, VS1. Polish Very Good. Symmetry Good. Fluorescence None.

On the diagram the top is 55% and the vertical line is 68.9%. The jeweler is asking $34k for it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't judge without photos

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Niel|1464912009|4039585 said:
I can't judge without photos

Photos of the GIA cert or of the actual diamond? I don't have any useful photos of the actual stone, but I did look at it in person. I can try requesting some however.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photos of the stone.

That's good you liked it in person. The color and clarity are nice. If you liked it in person that's a good thing and you shouldn't discount it.

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Niel|1464913973|4039596 said:
Photos of the stone.

That's good you liked it in person. The color and clarity are nice. If you liked it in person that's a good thing and you shouldn't discount it.
That sounds reasonable. Thanks.

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Here's one of the only clear pictures I have. The stone was set in a setting that I'm not interested in so you can ignore that.
img_3047_0.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't see much from that picture, out of curiosity how many mms was it across? Something like a smaller carat round will face up larger than a 3 carat antique cushion or Old Mine cut because they are deeper generally which means the weight is in the depth not the spread.

Something like this potentially has a bigger spread, better finger coverage, more fire and is substantially cheaper than your stone;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-77ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-si1-ags-i-si1#.V1E5PSgVq5Q

Having said that old cuts come in all types of flavours so if you have found one that you love that is O.K too.

techguy89

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1464939841|4039710 said:
We can't see much from that picture, out of curiosity how many mms was it across? Something like a smaller carat round will face up larger than a 3 carat antique cushion or Old Mine cut because they are deeper generally which means the weight is in the depth not the spread.

Something like this potentially has a bigger spread, better finger coverage, more fire and is substantially cheaper than your stone;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-77ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-si1-ags-i-si1#.V1E5PSgVq5Q

Having said that old cuts come in all types of flavours so if you have found one that you love that is O.K too.

Thanks for the link, that's a beautiful stone. My girlfriend really likes the cushion cut and old mine type cushion cuts, so unfortunately a brilliant/round isn't going to do the trick :)

techguy89

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1464939841|4039710 said:

The measurements were basically 9mm x 8mm x 5.5mm

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an O.K measurement for a cushion because they are deeper rather than spready, can you get a photo zoomed in looking at the stone straight down or straight on so we can see the cut pattern in it? The specs of it seem O.K.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like arkie said it's hard to tell from that photo, but I know you knew that before posting. I think what you posted looks good though, for what I can see :). How much are they asking?

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Niel|1464954664|4039727 said:
Like arkie said it's hard to tell from that photo, but I know you knew that before posting. I think what you posted looks good though, for what I can see :). How much are they asking?

Cool. They're asking $34k for the stone.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its a little on the high side to be honest, can you negotiate with them?

techguy89

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1464997055|4039930 said:
I think its a little on the high side to be honest, can you negotiate with them?

I can try, although that was after negotiating a little. What do you think a decent price is?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I searched 3-3.05 I Vs1 cushions on the PS diamond search. Lowest was around 20, highest around 35k, these make no mention of quality of cut, though. So it's at the high end, but not outside what people are asking.

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Niel|1464999899|4039943 said:
I searched 3-3.05 I Vs1 cushions on the PS diamond search. Lowest was around 20, highest around 35k, these make no mention of quality of cut, though. So it's at the high end, but not outside what people are asking.
Thanks. That's good to know.

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any last minute thoughts based on the specs posted? I think I'm gonna pull the trigger.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the pics here? Price scope blocks you from posting links to photo sites.

We're they willing to take an offer?

techguy89

Rough_Rock
Niel|1465339461|4041367 said:
Can you post the pics here? Price scope blocks you from posting links to photo sites.

We're they willing to take an offer?
Just posted two. Not the best pics, but all my phone could capture. Lowest price they can do is $34k unfortunately. I trust the seller and their business.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like I said that's on the high side, but it's not out of the realm. I also think it looks way better than the one next to it, and the one you where considering from single stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is their return policy and where are you located geographically.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you could get the single stone setting she originally liked with this cushion for the price of the OP cushion,might be worth considering

The_Diamond_Connoisseur

Rough_Rock
Trade
As a general rule Antique cushions cost more than modern cushions. Antique cushions are hard to come by. As an example there aren't any other 3 carat I/VS stones available in the current market. The 3 carat is a good price/buy if you like the way it looks IMHO.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
A quick look at Old World Diamonds' website reveals 15 antique cushions of 3 carats or more. Adam who runs things at OWD is an expert and truly customer service oriented. If you buy a stone from him you will not have any stomach aches wondering if it's the right one to buy. He will send you different stones, you view them in your home and work and life, and don't buy until you are in love. Adam is very invested in getting you the stone you are in love with. You should call or email him, tell him what you're looking for, and let him find something for you.

PS I don't work for Adam, I've just had stellar customer service from him. Return and upgrade policies are good.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
OWD has a 3.00 I, VS1 for 35,000. And a bunch of others.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
heather2012|1465622866|4042900 said:
If there is *any* chance you are still interested in purchasing a Tiffany Solitaire. I am selling a 2.17, I, VS1. Must net $26K and willing to meet at a jeweler (of your preference) if you are local to NY, to verify laser inscription, stats. I know its a stretch but figured I'd see :)

This is against the forum rules. You may list your ring in pre-loved.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results