shape
carat
color
clarity

For those of us with setting commitment issues...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL!!!! I can''t commit to settings and colors for my e-ring either. I''ve contacted WF about making my e-ring and wb, and although I tried to narrow down my list before sending it to WF, I just couldn''t. And if you''ve checked out my thread posted a few minutes ago in "Colored Stones," you''ll see my fear of commitment to a particular color. I hear ya, gypsy... Seriously, how are we suppesed to pick JUST ONE????

I''m glad I''m not the only one.
9.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget -- I agree, I think people are often surprised by how reasonably priced LM is. If Gypsy''s budget is $2,800, I''d say something very beautiful is definitely within reach. I think your pave split shank-no halo idea is very interesting and probably doable with LM!

Gypsy -- it''s really great that you are so committed to honoring your FI''s wishes about the e-ring. If my DH had told me that my wedding day e-ring would be my e-ring for life, I would probably be feeling the same anxieties as you! So tell me this -- is he at least open to the idea of anniversary RHRs?
31.gif
If so, knowing that you might someday have a, let''s say....ring with a honkin'' and gorgeous oval center on your right hand....would that assuage your anxieties about your e-ring settings just a leeeettle bit?
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I am sure you have really worked out all the scenarios in your mind, and one wants their ring, their symbol of it all, to be darn near perfect if it can be. I never thought when I got engaged at 24 that I would ever change my ring, but after ten years and the honest realization that I did NOT love it, it was not my taste, was never my taste, I granted myself permission to change it...I wanted to separate out the issues of the sentiment and the stone, and what it all meant...now, I did keep my original stone, and made a necklace, and my first of two upgrades, well, I had no need for it though I loved it, it had to go back, and it was a great ring...and I love my current ring, but would be lying if I did not say I like some of the other step cut side stones (bullets, shields) or even love the traps...and Leon? OMG the stuff on his site is to die for...but there is nothing not to love with my ring, and I just let it pass over me. If and when I ever get to the point where it does not pass, I will deal with it then. Til then, I will just come here, admire the bling, and enjoy my lovelies. I am only sad that you feel stress, and if my view, of knowing that you GOAL and AIM is something amazing, but that you might just have to realize that no one can know all things, if it helps in any way I am glad. I just would want you to have fun with this, and know that in the long run, if you decide you made an error, it is all fixable...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 5:50:51 PM
Author: diamondfan
Gypsy, I am sure you have really worked out all the scenarios in your mind, and one wants their ring, their symbol of it all, to be darn near perfect if it can be. I never thought when I got engaged at 24 that I would ever change my ring, but after ten years and the honest realization that I did NOT love it, it was not my taste, was never my taste, I granted myself permission to change it...I wanted to separate out the issues of the sentiment and the stone, and what it all meant...now, I did keep my original stone, and made a necklace, and my first of two upgrades, well, I had no need for it though I loved it, it had to go back, and it was a great ring...and I love my current ring, but would be lying if I did not say I like some of the other step cut side stones (bullets, shields) or even love the traps...and Leon? OMG the stuff on his site is to die for...but there is nothing not to love with my ring, and I just let it pass over me. If and when I ever get to the point where it does not pass, I will deal with it then. Til then, I will just come here, admire the bling, and enjoy my lovelies. I am only sad that you feel stress, and if my view, of knowing that you GOAL and AIM is something amazing, but that you might just have to realize that no one can know all things, if it helps in any way I am glad. I just would want you to have fun with this, and know that in the long run, if you decide you made an error, it is all fixable...
did you chose it? because if my dh (wonderful as he may be in other ways) picked something that I hated I''d be much more inclined to trade it in LOL But if I love something I tend to always love it... I think everyone is different of course - but my experience of how I''ve been for the past 30 some years is that I hate change and grow more fond of things as time passes. But if my dh picked something I didn''t like it would be hard...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kristy. LOL. How did you know I have canary diamond RHR fantasies? Yes, it helps. I would definitely want a nice oval canary... or a white oval with sapphires. YUM. I do know that Leon can be reasonable... relatively. But I have no idea what I'd call him for....

I have been playing around with one idea A LITTLE. I tried on this Tacori ring that gave me an idea, but I hated the side view of it... and the head was perched REALLY high. The band is too thick... and the eight prongs bugged the heck out of me in person. But.. it's one I've kept in the back of my mind. I want a Mark Morrel fluid with surprise stones side view... and a Leon Mage top view though. *shakes head*...

But here's the tacori setting.. from top view. I thought it would look nice with two SUPER slim pave wedding bands-- either all diamond, or diamond and sapphire.

DF... I totally can see my fiance mellowing with time. And I appologize for making you sad!! Know can know all things... I do put alot of pressure on myself sometimes. It's got to be the virgo in me. I will try to have more fun, and to breath and realize that it's not a disaster if I don't love the result DF... I promise.

I think part of it is that I picked the assche shape. I'd never seen one in person, and loved the look of the pics I found (of the cartier asscher). And then I told FI to pick between asschers and princesses. I didn't know about cushions, or about flanders cuts... just the Dream, the Lucida, and asschers in that catagory... the the Lucida and the Dream were too expensive. Never considered an oval. LOL. But I'm afraid of making hte same mistake again.

ETA: I would want double claw prongs with that Tacori above.

Tacori Top.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 6:16:54 PM
Author: Gypsy
Kristy. LOL. How did you know I have canary diamond RHR fantasies? Yes, it helps. I would definitely want a nice oval canary... or a white oval with sapphires. YUM. I do know that Leon can be reasonable... relatively. But I have no idea what I''d call him for....

I have been playing around with one idea A LITTLE. I tried on this Tacori ring that gave me an idea, but I hated the side view of it... and the head was perched REALLY high. The band is too thick... and the eight prongs bugged the heck out of me in person. But.. it''s one I''ve kept in the back of my mind. I want a Mark Morrel fluid with surprise stones side view... and a Leon Mage top view though. *shakes head*...

But here''s the tacori setting.. from top view. I thought it would look nice with two SUPER slim pave wedding bands-- either all diamond, or diamond and sapphire.

DF... I totally can see my fiance mellowing with time. And I appologize for making you sad!! Know can know all things... I do put alot of pressure on myself sometimes. It''s got to be the virgo in me. I will try to have more fun, and to breath and realize that it''s not a disaster if I don''t love the result DF... I promise.

I think part of it is that I picked the assche shape. I''d never seen one in person, and loved the look of the pics I found (of the cartier asscher). And then I told FI to pick between asschers and princesses. I didn''t know about cushions, or about flanders cuts... just the Dream, the Lucida, and asschers in that catagory... the the Lucida and the Dream were too expensive. Never considered an oval. LOL. But I''m afraid of making hte same mistake again.

ETA: I would want double claw prongs with that Tacori above.
what about that halo that was in dee jays thread that had a cushiony sort of flow to it - where it was pointed in the corners but not quite straight.... hmmmm let me see if I can findn it...

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I have been playing around with one idea A LITTLE. I tried on this Tacori ring that gave me an idea, but I hated the side view of it... and the head was perched REALLY high. The band is too thick... and the eight prongs bugged the heck out of me in person. But.. it''s one I''ve kept in the back of my mind.
That is a pretty top view!!

I do know that Leon can be reasonable... relatively. But I have no idea what I''d call him for....

I want a Mark Morrel fluid with surprise stones side view... and a Leon Mage top view though. *shakes head*...
LOL - I know what you mean!! I can relate to this too - wanting seemingly contradictory things: I like old-fashioned, antique looks, but I like a clean look, and today that seems to be mutually exclusive!
I also thought this morning, after seeing JadeLeaves?''s Mark Morrell, that I''m sure I could tell MM what I know I want, and he could design something stunning that I would love, but I suspect he would be too expensive.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I think sometimes having so many choices is crazy making! Before PS, I think many of us would have been a lot easier to please and a lot more decisive. Gee, when you think you HAVE to go to a B&M to buy a diamond, and they have 3 diamonds in your price range in the quality/size you can afford, and they only have a dozen types of settings to choose from, it''s not so tough. Enter the internet and the whole world of different shapes and settings, qualities and vendors. Add to that the ability to actually view detailed pictures and nit pick other people''s rings in great detail and suddenly just choosing the prongs becomes a lengthy ordeal.

I just want one of each. I know I could be happy with that.
31.gif

Seriously, though, we PSers are a different breed. The rest of the world is really not very concerned with the minute details of their engagement rings. If it''s pretty and it sparkles, most people are happy. We just aren''t like that.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 6:28:21 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

what about that halo that was in dee jays thread that had a cushiony sort of flow to it - where it was pointed in the corners but not quite straight.... hmmmm let me see if I can findn it...
Okay... what about something like this but with a true square hole in the middle to fit your asscher and then have the melee taper.... so that at 12, 3, 6, 9 the stones are larger than in the corners but it gives a bit more of a flowing outline than asscher square? with a band with melee the size of the corners not the biggest ones... on a super thin band?
kelege%20no%20halo0001.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, it''s good I found the support group for people who can never decide on settings! We need to kick off all the decisive people so we can comfort and sympathize with each other.
2.gif

Gypsy, I do feel your DF should let you change your diamond since you aren''t even married yet, but assuming he absolutely will not, then I would set the stone in some kind of halo to increase the face-up appearance. I think the Tacori you posted is lovely and I love a copy of the Tiffany Legacy. Either would mazimize the size of the diamond but still be classic and classy. I loved the Joe Escobar ring, too...why did you decide against that?

As for me, I was totally confused about settings and also did not want to spend $5000+ on rings unless I was sure they were forever. So I bought the Memoire band and a pretty solitaire setting (around $3000 for both) so that I could wear my rings until such time as I find something I absolutely love more than anything else. Had I not just recently done this, I think I could order the Mark Morrell e-ring with Jade''s head and plain band an an exact copy of her wedding band. I think I would be happy with that forever. But I am hating the idea of spending the money and being without my rings again. Plus I need to be 100% sure I am not going to upgrade this diamond. Then what worries me is that as long as we stay on here, a better setting WILL come along in time. It is just inevitable.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, if I recall, he chose it without us ever really having had a major conversation about what I likedor disliked. I did tell him no heart or marquise shapes, which I like but not for an engagement ring, but the rest he did on his own. I think it took me ten years to really get up the nerve to tell him I did not love it. (we recently had this same issue regarding our wedding china, again, something I did not like but chose because HE liked it and I did not hate it as much as I hated the others he liked...I just replaced it all because I thought at 40 I should have stuff I like, since I know he really could care less at this point!)

Gyspy, I just wish it would be more peaceful for you. I totally get that a large financial commitment and time investment makes it scary, I really do. I just wanted you to realize that you can be deliberate, be choosy, and love or really like it, but at the end of the day, if you decide years from now that you are not as thrilled, in the scheme of life, it is not so tragic. Maybe knowing that, you will feel more relaxed, enjoy the process more, and even see that there are tons of great choices, not necessarily forever ones, but maybe they will turn out to be...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OFG, it is good to see you back!
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i really like that picture you posted gypsy...that would be wonderful, combination of a solitaire yet with some halo flair!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy, I think putting a halo around your stone would be wonderful. If you are certain you FI will not let you change it then a halo will really add finger coverage while still looking classy. I like the tacori too but think you should have the corners either go cushiony like the ring cehra posted or follow the asscher. I like the idea of the plain band and then adding 2 pave bands on either side. I saw that tacori with a round and it really is quite stunning. one thing I loved was how dainty the halo was, not as big and bulky as others.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen it, too, and it is gorgeous (the Tacori)!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-expertise-please.52357/
Is the scaled down Contender thread... And it shows how that setting would make my asscher look square because of the proportion of the diamond to setting.

Yes Cehra, Mara and MsSalvo... it was the CONCEPT of the tacori I liked... the benifits of a halo with teh elegance of a solitare... then paired with double super slim pave wedding bands would give it the 'double shank' look I like too. So it SEEMS to combine the elements I like... but like I said, I have no idea what I want for the side view... just that I LOVE Mark Morells heads... and I don't generally LOVE Leon's wires for holding halos up.

I would definitely get the halo to be octagonal however, instead of square. Or Cushion-ey... But I've done some (basic) photoshoping of an asscher into a cushioney halo and... wasn't as thrilled with it as I had hoped. But then again my photoshop skill leave much to be desired.

ETA: Cehra I'm just not a s technical as you.... I'm not understanding about the Melee. I'm sorry.

DF-- Peaceful. Definitely. Forever is a LONG TIME... I may just have to alter my thinking so that it's not my 'forever' setting... but rather my 'forseeable future' setting. *wink*... thank you so much for the concern and consideration DF!

DS-- I KNOW isn't Jades set INSPIRING? That freaking flame setting had ME itching for a round. And with that eternity with the heart prongs... SWOON. But your memoire set is BEAUTIFUL. And maybe its your forseeable future setting... *wink*... but that doesn't mean it's FOREVER.
11.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 7:05:11 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Okay, it''s good I found the support group for people who can never decide on settings! We need to kick off all the decisive people so we can comfort and sympathize with each other.
2.gif
LOL!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 5:02:45 PM

Date: 1/31/2007 4:42:46 PM
Cehra-- your chanelling me. Clearly. How''d you get into my brain?
9.gif
And that you for all the support. This is what I REALLY want to emphasis : ''I think the best way to encourage this thread is to talk about what we *want* rather than yet another butt kicking session where we''re told to get off the pot and make a choice already. '' I totally agree.
hehehe you were working and SOMEone had to!! haha!! I really hope you talk more about what you DO like, what you DO want.... I think that if you combine the aspects you *love* you''ll have a ring you love - even if they''ve never been put together quite your way before :)

and this is what i did! it just took a while to find someone who was willing to share that vision and get the ball rolling. without todd at gleim i''d still be looking at the spess loose and trying to find someone who shared my vision.

movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
does anyone recall whose ring this is? i only have this image (and a few others that dont show a side) of it.

i recall it having some sort of kind of crossover pave X prongish kinda head...it was pretty...maybe something a little different side-view wise for a squarish stone??

4point71cushion.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is gorgeous, Mara!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 9:06:26 PM
Author: Mara
does anyone recall whose ring this is? i only have this image (and a few others that dont show a side) of it.

i recall it having some sort of kind of crossover pave X prongish kinda head...it was pretty...maybe something a little different side-view wise for a squarish stone??
I remember that ring, it was done by Leon Mege. The guy who had it done had doc in his user name.... It''s a gorgeous ring.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 9:13:35 PM
Author: Kaleigh

I remember that ring, it was done by Leon Mege. The guy who had it done had doc in his user name.... It''s a gorgeous ring.
And I believe the jeweler was in newport beach....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 9:23:32 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 1/31/2007 9:13:35 PM
Author: Kaleigh

And I believe the jeweler was in newport beach....
Whoops, sorry, could have sworn it was a Leon.........

poptart

Brilliant_Rock

Mara, that ring is exquisite! It kind of took my breath away! Who ever owns that is very lucky!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I have setting commitment issues as well. I have these ideas in my head of the "perfect" ring, but I know in reality it doesn''t exist. I love jewelry too much to be tied down to one thing as my ideal. However, antique rings are pretty close!

*M*

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara I ADORE THAT SET. So stunning.

Here is Tawns ring... it has a halo and plain shanks... so its a bit similar to what the ''concept'' is... but hers has two shanks, and the pave is set differently than I would like... and I would like a slimmer halo, I THINK. But again.. its the concept of the halo head on plan shank.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 7:03:21 PM

Date: 1/31/2007 6:28:21 PM

Okay... what about something like this but with a true square hole in the middle to fit your asscher and then have the melee taper.... so that at 12, 3, 6, 9 the stones are larger than in the corners but it gives a bit more of a flowing outline than asscher square? with a band with melee the size of the corners not the biggest ones... on a super thin band?
kelege%20no%20halo0001.jpg
this is really bad but maybe helps? the line under the diamonds is supposed to be square with the rest of the setting to indicate where the straight line would be LOL The two straight lines above is supposed to indicate curve LOL Oh man I suck at this... I''ll just shut up now LOL

curveyhalogypsy.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks mrs salvo, i just love the side view of that head!!! so scoopy swoopy and shows off the beautiful stone inside. gypsy i love the idea of doing a solitaire with a halo and a plain band and then 2 super thin pave bands to flank, that''d be fun!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH. Okay.. I get it Cehra. That''s definitely something to consider... I''ll play on photoshop a bit.
2.gif

Mara... this is one of the side views I liked... only without pave and more dliecate for my "concept" :

neweringsidepic1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results