shape
carat
color
clarity

For those of us with setting commitment issues...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 9:13:35 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 1/31/2007 9:06:26 PM
Author: Mara
does anyone recall whose ring this is? i only have this image (and a few others that dont show a side) of it.

i recall it having some sort of kind of crossover pave X prongish kinda head...it was pretty...maybe something a little different side-view wise for a squarish stone??
I remember that ring, it was done by Leon Mege. The guy who had it done had doc in his user name.... It''s a gorgeous ring.
its xraydoc and the link is here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/here-it-is-4-71-ct-cushion-in-kotlar-setting.27423/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

does anyone recall whose ring this is? i only have this image (and a few others that dont show a side) of it.

i recall it having some sort of kind of crossover pave X prongish kinda head...it was pretty...maybe something a little different side-view wise for a squarish stone??
I remember that ring, it was done by Leon Mege. The guy who had it done had doc in his user name.... It''s a gorgeous ring.
So funny, but that''s exactly what I remembered as well...appropriate owner for that honker of a ring! Anf that truly is a magnificent setting!

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 12:57:16 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

So funny, but that''s exactly what I remembered as well...appropriate owner for that honker of a ring! Anf that truly is a magnificent setting!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

HOLY GUACAMOLE, BATMAN!

Truly, a work of art. Now if it were only on MY finger.....
27.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am home today because of a sprinkling of snow, so I called Mark Morrell. I really, really like him. But gosh, I think I do have fear of commitment because if you invest in really fine settings, you need to be happy forever. But I am going to see what he comes up with from what I told him I liked. He was very nice and we were very much on the same wavelength.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I can understand your wanting this setting to be the forever piece. However...let me start by saying that I am the poster child for committment issues, when it comes to the rock and the setting. (I''m on rock #17, setting #3.) The difference for me, was, that my (diamond) ring came when I had been married for 16 years, so I did not have the sentiment tied to the whole process that a newlywed might have. I will try to explain in terms of owning my home.

My husband is an architect. We planned and planned our home, that we eventualy built. This took a couple of years of sketches, many many discussions, a plethera of choices...Magazines were scanned, homes toured, measurements altered and altered. Even flipped the whole plan, to get the best view on the site. Lived there for a good while. Never thought we would want anything else.

Missed people. Kids grew up. Although the stars were pretty, and the house was wonderful, there were other things that became unforseeable priorities. We moved to an old cozy home oozing with charm and simplicity. Never thought in a million years I''d like this, but I do. Yes, we are already planning an addition.

I don''t think anyone can predict what they will like down the road. If you start out with something simple, you always have the option of a redo on an anniversary... Or surround your simple setting with some unique bands to compliment your original solitaire. I have a feeling you will know it when you see it somewhere in person.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 3:12:19 PM
I am home today because of a sprinkling of snow, so I called Mark Morrell. I really, really like him. But gosh, I think I do have fear of commitment because if you invest in really fine settings, you need to be happy forever. But I am going to see what he comes up with from what I told him I liked. He was very nice and we were very much on the same wavelength.
I called maytal today - she sounds so young on her voicemail!! I''m not sure I want to go with her, I just don''t know... I know I scared everyone off trying to explain what I wanted but I know its doable LOL I also queried to wink. I haven''t actually talked to anyone about this and quest is now on the list and I know nothing about them LOL And greenlake still calls to me but I don''t want to step on toes and ask for a different designer there... I''m sure they''d be totally okay with it, but... the last one just was NOT good at keeping us in the loop for things like $ and time and materials. I know for sure if I go with greenlake I''ll source my stones elsewhere like jon or wink or both - because greenlake will set stones from elsewhere but their prices are really high for melee by almost double.

I seriously have thought about MM because I think he''d do such a fantastic job on my 8 shiny prongs weaving around the stone... but something about him scares me LOL Not as much as leon but still LOL Leon is to me like I was talking about with dee jay the other day - the hairdresser who is an artiste and doesn''t really want too much of your input LOL Maybe I have it all wrong, but maybe I''m just too much of a control freak and its good I''m aware of that LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra, your situation is more difficult because you want something so original that no one can visualize it but you. This is going to cause the ring maker a lot of extra work to get the design to be exactly what you want. In my case, I was able to say easily to Mark Morrell that I wanted certain components exactly like he did on other pieces. So it won''t be too much new design work for him, and I know he and I are visualizing the same thing. If I wanted a pave ring, I''d probably get Maytal to make it. And if I wanted something like Jadeleave''s set I''d get Mark Morrell to make it, and if I wanted something like KristyDarling''s, then I''d ask Leon. But all of those are easy requests because I know who makes the perfect rings in those particular designs. I really think you will have to get your ring more concrete on paper. I was very confused by the photos of the gothic arches on your other thread and how those were supposed to translate into a ring design!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 3:54:05 PM
Cehra, your situation is more difficult because you want something so original that no one can visualize it but you. This is going to cause the ring maker a lot of extra work to get the design to be exactly what you want. In my case, I was able to say easily to Mark Morrell that I wanted certain components exactly like he did on other pieces. So it won''t be too much new design work for him, and I know he and I are visualizing the same thing. If I wanted a pave ring, I''d probably get Maytal to make it. And if I wanted something like Jadeleave''s set I''d get Mark Morrell to make it, and if I wanted something like KristyDarling''s, then I''d ask Leon. But all of those are easy requests because I know who makes the perfect rings in those particular designs. I really think you will have to get your ring more concrete on paper. I was very confused by the photos of the gothic arches on your other thread and how those were supposed to translate into a ring design!
and here I thought they''d help LOL Really, the wax is VERY close, just needs the components tweaked into position a bit and the shank is super easy I just haven''t found one like it... well I did find some things close yesterday... maybe I''ll post them in the other thread.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
sorry for the hijack but one quick question. xray doc''s ring purchase was almost 2 years ago. she mentions she was given a wonderful price does anyone care to venture a guess at what the difference in price then and now would be? i am curious how much more money would have to be spent to get the same product as two years ago. tia.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. Don''t worry about threadjacking... I WANT you to post your ideas and such on here so we can help you Cehra, and everyone else with ''issues'' can do that too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really think you will have to get your ring more concrete on paper. I was very confused by the photos of the gothic arches on your other thread and how those were supposed to translate into a ring design!

hehe, I agree with this. Cehra, i really think you need to work with a designer who uses a cad/cam system and someone who will let you be involved in all the steps along the way. the complexity that your design appears to be has a better chance of matching up to what you have in your head and what the final product will look like.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 4:07:24 PM
Author: crown1
sorry for the hijack but one quick question. xray doc''s ring purchase was almost 2 years ago. she mentions she was given a wonderful price does anyone care to venture a guess at what the difference in price then and now would be? i am curious how much more money would have to be spent to get the same product as two years ago. tia.

crown, I have no idea but I''m sure $$$$..Diamond and Plat. prices have only gone up since then. add that the designer premium and it will be expensive.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 4:24:42 PM
Author: mrssalvo

I really think you will have to get your ring more concrete on paper. I was very confused by the photos of the gothic arches on your other thread and how those were supposed to translate into a ring design!

hehe, I agree with this. Cehra, i really think you need to work with a designer who uses a cad/cam system and someone who will let you be involved in all the steps along the way. the complexity that your design appears to be has a better chance of matching up to what you have in your head and what the final product will look like.
Yeah, I agree with this too. Mark Turnowski has a CAD, so do WF and Quest... and I believe the GOG would have access to one as well. Maytal and Leon don''t, I think. And I think that knox jewelers has one as well.

I did a power point presentation on my baguette halo... it REALLY helped simplify the process for qoutes (except with Leon who didn''t look at it). Highly recommend

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 4:30:55 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 2/1/2007 4:24:42 PM

Yeah, I agree with this too. Mark Turnowski has a CAD, so do WF and Quest... and I believe the GOG would have access to one as well. Maytal and Leon don''t, I think. And I think that knox jewelers has one as well.

I did a power point presentation on my baguette halo... it REALLY helped simplify the process for qoutes (except with Leon who didn''t look at it). Highly recommend
well at the very least I do appreciate the opportunity to sound this stuff out, even if the only feed back I''m getting is "HUH??" LOL! Just the act of attempting to compile it is a huge benefit so thank you :) I think in the end it will all be clear and I am confident that this isn''t anywhere near impossible to execute, even if I''m am truly lousy at explaining it. In person it wasn''t this difficult, but to hire someone from a distance I need to be on top of it and I''m not there yet - hence the "nervous as hell" and reluctance to proceed. I did however compile my best effort yet and send it off to maytal.... but now I''m second guessing that and wondering if I should just go with white flash since they have cad and I agree that would be useful.... but even still, having the opportunity to spill some of it out hre and try to organize it is very helpful - so thank you :) I''m trying to overlook the doubts lol

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
completely understand!

we live in california....bought the spess from richard wise who is on the east coast and we have yet to meet.

ring was made and stone set in hawaii by another person we''ve never met......only talked to on the phone as was the case with richard.

the key element here was todd at gleim who while not part of the spess purchase did grasp the design elements [especially after he saw the spess!], put them on paper enough for me to know he knew what the hell i was talking about and able to translate that all to garry in hawaii. when the wax arrived back in los altos i knew we were really on the same page and i was finally able to relax.

movie zombie

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cehra, I''m glad you sent things off to Maytal. IF anything she can give you feedback from an actual designer perspective and will be able to tell you if your idea''s can really be done. She may be a good match for you if you can get your ideas communicated and she interprets them correctly. I''m excited for you..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy, did you see the new designs in Pearlmans new whisper collection..

very daniel k like:

pearlmansdksplit.png

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
another:

knifeedgehalopearl.png

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 3:29:15 PM
gypsy, did you see the new designs in Pearlmans new whisper collection..

very daniel k like:
Oooh very pretty!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, I really like this one!!!

dkpearlasscher.png

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 sided pave? from what I can tell, the whisper collection peices are very reasonably priced although the prices are there for these yet...

3sidedwhisper.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really pretty, mrss!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 8:25:54 AM
cehra, I''m glad you sent things off to Maytal. IF anything she can give you feedback from an actual designer perspective and will be able to tell you if your idea''s can really be done. She may be a good match for you if you can get your ideas communicated and she interprets them correctly. I''m excited for you..
I''ve also sent it off to wink who has sent it to ocean. Wink seemed to think the info I provided was good enough.... it is better than the thread LOL I only included ONE gothic arch hahahaha Wink seems excited about it, boy I think whomever pulls this off will impress all of my naysayers LMAO!!! He said her $ range is between MM and stuller and I dunno what MM costs but I expected to pay more than stuller LOL I don''t know what audience he is talking to when he says "she''s not cheap". Can I afford her?? I guess we''ll see...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just gotta know what is the range of MM? I doubt he''s a 2k guy but is he a 10k guy? 7k? I know it would vary with each piece, but I just don''t even have a ballpark on his work. I feel like leon is probably a 3-5k for most things... is MM the same? More?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 5:06:03 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I just gotta know what is the range of MM? I doubt he''s a 2k guy but is he a 10k guy? 7k? I know it would vary with each piece, but I just don''t even have a ballpark on his work. I feel like leon is probably a 3-5k for most things... is MM the same? More?

cehra, when I got a quote from MM a while back his pricing seemed about the same as Leon, maybe a bit more depending on the ring. A solitaire was just under 2K which is right around what Leon charges. i do know MM charged 10K for a Michael B like pave setting that took him 100 hours to make for fellow Pricescoper countingdown (he probably would have been better off buying the Michael b..lol) but I don''t think he''s usually on the high end like that. I''m sure DS would share here quote with you once she see''s this.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI MrsS... Thanks for posting those! They actually remind me of the Facets halos quite a bit. Also fairly reasonably priced. I do they have a great concept going... but, for my ring, I want a really fine thin delicate setting to accent the asscher... and I think the thicker halos would overwhelm by little 6mm square. Great to see the concept can be accomplished ''reasonably''!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i totally have gotten that artiste vibe from LM before....i don''t think i could ever work with him because of it. not sure how comfy i''d be passing off a stone and going ''have fun!'' or ''i want something kind of like this'' ... i am way too detail oriented and anal to work comfortably with him (and i''m sure he''d feel the same way)..maybe when i am older and mellower!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 7:16:26 PM
oh i totally have gotten that artiste vibe from LM before....i don''t think i could ever work with him because of it. not sure how comfy i''d be passing off a stone and going ''have fun!'' or ''i want something kind of like this'' ... i am way too detail oriented and anal to work comfortably with him (and i''m sure he''d feel the same way)..maybe when i am older and mellower!!
Mara - did you work with leon at whiteflash? or someone else? did you go through a salesperson first? I''ve only worked with celina thus far and I really like her as a person but the thought of going through someone else for something this... picky? LOL seems like a lot could get lost in translation and that makes me nervous.... when I sent the stuff to wink he sent it off to ocean and basically said no way I''m gonna get in the middle of *this* project LMAO!!!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
My name is Lisa, and I have setting committment issues...
9.gif

and it is pricescope''s fault...
9.gif

Yep, it is!! Originally I just wanted a plain simple 6 prong ''tiffany style'' (but not tiffany because I don''t like the superknife edge and not quite as low) setting . Now, after months on PS, I finally have a stone, but have seen so many beautiful rings that every time I see one I am like "woo, I want that"!!

PS makes it hard! I did read this entire thread, and I do agree that it is easier to spend the $ if it isn''t a huge amount (although that is relative - even $100 is a huge amount to a lot of people) thinking that it can be changed later. When the setting prices start rising, it is harder to digest! I keep thinking that I see such pretty rings everywhere I will want to be able to change settings just for a neat new look. I am also someone who sees the ring more as a beautiful piece of jewelry instead of having a lot of sentimental attachment. I can''t wear my ring to work, and was originally just going to wear a band (I have a ruby and diamond band I wear now so that people will leave me alone!), but my fiancee really thought I should have a diamond ring. So the search began!! I am also very picky and didn''t want to buy a setting online without being able to try it on. Now I have been able to try on Danhov styles at their store, and have recently learned that Pearlman''s will send you a setting prior to setting a stone. I also found a well priced jeweler recommended on PS that may be well below most of the settings I have seen, so custom may be the route. But I have to decide exactly what I want before I can do that...!!!

I wish they made settings like those interchangable watch band thingies where you can change the band style and color when you want just by swapping them out. You could just pop the diamond in and out of the setting on a whim! That would solve everything!
31.gif

And Gypsy - I think it is very sweet that you want to honor your fiancee''s wishes. You never know what will come down the road (as KD mentioned!) - my father''s deep belief was that the only diamond you gave to a woman was her engagement ring. It has taken many many years, but he has gone out on his own and and bought her necklaces and a RHR, and even redid her original setting with additional diamonds! Sometimes the thought processes change and get modified over the years. Your fiancee may surprise you, especially over the years as he sees your real appreciation for diamonds!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s possible to find a forever ring...or one you love so much that it''ll work in case you never have cause to change it.

I went through this whole failure to commit to a setting when my fiance and I were shopping for engagement rings. And for a while there were lots of things I really thought were marvelous (In stores and here on PS). And I was overwhelemed by the good choices, but none of them felt "right." I was afraid that some of them were too trendy, etc. And it finally got to the point where I didn''t like anything that I looked at. Well, I liked lots of things for other people, just not for MY engament ring. I went from thinking everything was pretty to thinking that nothing would ever "fit." I was really about ready to settle on giving my fiance several choices of rings that I thought would be "acceptable" and letting him pick from a hat because I thought, "Whatever, it doesn''t matter, nothing''s ever going to be perfect for me...except for him, and that''s all that matters anyway." And then, low and behold, I came across what I thought was a perfect setting. I loved it. I was obsessed with looking at it every time I got near a computer. My fiance ALMOST loved it, but he found 2 problems with it that were basically deal breakers for him and said "Well I would like it except for this and this," and that really made me sad because I thought it was perfect. So he was like, "whatever, it''s your ring, I guess I don''t have to like it." Of course, it would put us over our budget, and that bummed me out too. None the less, I called the company we were ordering our stone from and asked them if they would set the stone in a setting that we shipped in from another company. But, I was hesitant because I wanted something that BOTH of us thought was amazing. In fact, I was actually hoping they would say no. Well, our company informed me that they could just make a similar setting for me at a smaller cost. AND they could make the exact changes my fiance wanted. We were both SUPER excited about it. And we got the EXACT ring that we wanted. He is proud of it, which VERY important to me. The custom order process was really fun, and now not only do I love the ring, but it has a great string of memories associated with it. It is a pretty classic looking ring, so I don''t think it''ll ever really be "out of style," and I think even if my taste does change, I won''t want to change it because it worked out SO perfectly. I think if my Fiance wanted to get me a 5 carat stone, I''d take it and wear it on my right hand and still wear my engagement ring. (Okay, so MAYBE I''d be tempted to wear the 5 carat one, but still).

Anyway, I think that the right ring is out there. And if you really are looking for a forever ring, you will find it. I''m like you because I wanted something I would be happy with regaurdless of the possibillity of "upgrading"

Of course, I also think it is okay to be the type of person who just wants a right for right now ring. Some people just aren''t programed to keep things for always. (who knows, maybe I''ll be more like that when I''m older). I have several friends like that. They need change, why not change their jewlery? Hey, it''s better to change the ring than the husband (unless he turns out to be a totally jerky you-know-what because that is NEVER in style.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results