shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting expertise, please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can anyone give me a hand, please?

It um... FINALLY occurred to me to show FI The Contender since I really do love it and... Well... he''s not crazy about it.
That''s not entirely fair. He thinks it''s stunning but doesn''t think it''s going to translate well AT ALL to fit my much smaller diamond. The halo is 1.5 mm in the pic below and the shank is 3 mm. That center stone is a 5 carat asscher (okay it''s a CZ, but it''s meant to mimic a 5 mm asscher).

Anyone have a way of showing me what it might look like if my 6 x 6 mm asscher is the center? I don''t think we con go thinner than 1.5 mm on the halo.
7.gif

gypsy%20top%20contender.jpg

je%20visit%201006%20h.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i remember we talked about this at the store...i think that your stone will look really lovely in that setting! of course that''s a 5c sized asscher but it doesn''t mean that the setting won''t be stunning with a smaller stone in it. and the 1.5mm halo is pretty darn delicate regardless. but hopefully someone can do a photoshop thang to show what it might look like...and maybe that will convince him.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's what I'm hoping Mara. I don't know if they do CAD there cause when I asked Erik what the process was going to be he said they were going to go straight to wax.

I know (and FI knows) that I am the one wearing it. His concern is that since I was so set to get the baguette halo and didn't like it in person... he's afraid that when I see this setting scaled to my diamond I won't like it either. And it's custom.

Of course, they are making a wax and I'll be able to tell if I love it or hate at that stage... but he's concerned. And he thinks that I'm rushing this at the end, cause I've been waiting for so long and just want it OVER with.

Plus, I think he's upset a little by the WG instead of platinum. His mother's wedding set is platinum and he really wants my 'real' setting to be platinum. But right now it's just not in the budget for a custom platinum peice.

Wedding. Moving. Apartment, plus mortgage...

I'm upset. Truth to tell.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well don''t be upset til you know there is truly something to be upset about!! no use imaginging the worst at this point and getting all down. hopefully someone can photoshop it. how much more was platinum? i honestly tend to think that if it''s not that much more you should just splurge on it because if it IS a 20 year setting or something....then it''s worth it. esp if fiance might be more on board with it then. in 5 years or so when things are not as tight...you might be kicking yourself for not going plat if you don''t want to change the setting again. just a thought.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s about 1300 more. And I just do not have it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh honey, don't be sad. Now listen my asscher is tiny compared to yours, and mine looks huge in the halo. Really it does. I don't see how you could make it thinner, it's pretty darn thin to begin with. I think WG holds up better for these kinds of settings in the long run. Can you make that argument at least?? Hang in there, and don't lose hope.
1.gif

David_Lundahl

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy!

I think it would still look just fine with a 6x6 center. Just make sure they bright cut and maybe use millegrain to make the halo look dainty and crisp. If they use CAD they can show you a rendering, otherwise the wax will give you a pretty good idea. I don''t think i''m allowed to show you an image of what it might look like, I don''t want to get into trouble
32.gif

It''s a very nice style. Clean and modern.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Gypsy! Don''t be sad! I just know this will all work out. I really do.
1.gif

I think that mounting is PERFECT for a smaller stone...in fact I suspect I''ll like your version better than that big honkin CZ.

Maybe Irena will see this and try to photoshop it...

widget

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kaleigh... I'm know I'm being silly. I just... didn't expect that reaction from him. He's been so supportive and well, it just didn't occur to me that he'd be anything but pleased that I finally committed. Your asscher and mine-- thanks to the wonderful depth yours has got --are the same mm size actually. I know your setting looks amazing with your asscher, which is why I want a halo too. It's the V's on this setting that have him concerned... the split shank halo thing turning into a double thick shank thing. I've always been partial to THIN shanks... and I liked this one-- but he's afraid that I only liked it because it's proportionately thin. He think's that I'm going to think that shank is too thick because I've never liked anything at 3 mm before. We've been setting shopping together where I've wrinkled my nose at 2.5 mm. ETA: On halo'd rings for 6 mm stones.

Hi David! I don't want you to get in trouble either and I have no idea if helping me out would be against the rules for you... so I'll wait until Irina/ Leonid have weighed in on the subject. But if they say it's okay-- would you mind? What's bright cut? I have already asked for them to use the same very fine machine millgrain to the original setting (pictured) has-- so I think that should be okay.

Hi widget-- crazy huh? I finally come up to scratch and decide on a setting... and BAM. The other half has serious doubts. It'll work out, I think this just threw me. Left field and all that.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
the way I''m visualizing it is this: In increments of 1.5.

your stone is 4 1.5 sections the shank will be half the width of your stone and the whole thing n/s will be 9mm, which is 6 1.5 sectons. So visally- north/south you will have 1.5mm of halo, 1.5mm of stone, 3mm of shank, 1.5mm of stone, and 1.5mmf halo. I don''t think EW you have as much of an issue since it just runs the length... but if I made sense at all, it might help you visualize it in your head when you look at the 5 carat asscher... just squeeze it down in your mind... I''d try to do it in photoshop but you all would laugh at me, or pity me lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra... so that''s 3 mm of center plus halo on either side of the 3 mm shank. Yeah. I''m gonna need to see that to see if he''s right. He''s got me all paranoid now because he knows me so well.

Argh.... bedtime. THANK YOU ALL for weighing in. Stupid Saga. will check in AM.
35.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, it''s going to be lovely. Don''t worry about fi, he will love it once he sees it. Also, WG is supposed to be better for pave, with fewer stones popping out. I wonder if someone can do some photoshop magic to show you what it will look like just to give you some peace of mind.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2006 12:14:09 AM
Author: Gypsy
Cehra... so that''s 3 mm of center plus halo on either side of the 3 mm shank. Yeah. I''m gonna need to see that to see if he''s right. He''s got me all paranoid now because he knows me so well.

Argh.... bedtime. THANK YOU ALL for weighing in. Stupid Saga. will check in AM.
35.gif
No, it''s 3mm of center that will align with the 3mm shank... and it will overhang 3mm on each side total - 1.5 in center diamond and 1.5 in halo for a total of 9mm. Rather than 6 1.5 mm sections you can picture 3 3mm sections... one in the middle... and top and bottom are two more, both split half diamond half halo. The diamond alone will clear the shank by 1.5mm each way

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy this is the best i could... i know irina can make it better!

ETA: I think it looks terrific!!!

je visit 1006 h copy.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thought, if you are worried about the 3mm band, how about having the two shanks converge into one like the daniel k split shank?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow ana i really like the space you put between the stone and the halo, that looks really cool!!! i think it makes the ring look more dramatic somehow.

and yes i agree that the size looks great...even if it doesn''t have that space, the size looks awesome! it almost looks better smaller...wait did i just say that??!!

David_Lundahl

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

I''ll show you a rendering to help you visualize if the head honcho''s permit. Bright Cutting simply refers to cutting away excess metal in a bead-set channel with a sharp graver, leaving lots of bright reflecting surfaces, which add to the apparent sparkle and will serve to make the halo appear lighter, thinner.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like bright cutting is kind of similar to polishing the channel for the melee...we did see one at the store that was polished in the channel and it was a visible difference compared to one that did not have a polished channel. interesting!

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/23/2006 1:15:45 AM
Author: Mara
wow ana i really like the space you put between the stone and the halo, that looks really cool!!! i think it makes the ring look more dramatic somehow.

and yes i agree that the size looks great...even if it doesn''t have that space, the size looks awesome! it almost looks better smaller...wait did i just say that??!!

I know!! i noticed the space when i finished but i loved it.. it''d look great like that
36.gif

I''m in love with that setting!!! and I didn''t know the ston was a CZ
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2006 12:51:46 PM
Author: Pricescope
Here you go Gypsy
35.gif
, i think it''s pretty
oh my. really pretty.

i love it!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Here you go Gypsy, i think it's pretty
35.gif

ETA: sorry Mara, edited to clean up the mess on the halo
17.gif

Gypsss2.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Gypsy, that is really lovely.

I can understand your FI''s concerns, but he needs to keep in mind that whomever is making the setting is going to make it to scale to look appropriate for your stone and its particular dimensions. I think it is going to look awesome in that setting. Don''t be upset- go for it!!!!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2006 12:56:18 PM
Here you go Gypsy, i think it''s pretty
35.gif

17.gif
Wow, it''s beautiful. I think it looks even more beautiful than with the larger stone!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee...I KNEW I''d like that setting better with a smaller stone!
9.gif

Hey Gypsy....I think Irena''s drawing looks just great as is. But do I understand correctly that you''re (or your honey''s) concerned that the shank width (below the split) is too wide for the smaller stone?

Forgive me, but I''m just fooling around, but why couldn''t the shank taper down to be narrower?

Now don''t laugh at my crude drawing, but this is what I mean...(the "Y" on the right):

widget

548 009.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, I looked and looked for a picture of a split shank like the one I tried to draw
20.gif
above.

Indeed, most shanks are like "double" tines, if you know what I mean. I did find one...sorry I can''t credit the source...which might be an example of what I mean...

548 8u6005.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
widget that''s the daniel k split crown setting you posted. it''s the one I fell in love with for a cushion and I''d know it anywhere
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, mrsS!
1.gif

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Here you go Gypsy, i think it''s pretty
35.gif

17.gif
Thanks, Irina, that gives a great perspective.
35.gif

Gypsy, it''s absolutely gorgeous!!! Show FI Irina''s photoshopped setting and if he doesn''t love it, send him to me for a "talk"!
31.gif

As far as his preference for plat. instead of white gold, IMHO plat is just too pricy- go with 18k white gold and the finished ring will be spectacular!!!

I can''t believe that two baguette halo loving girls ( I''m giving myself permission to be a "girl" again) are looking at pave halos and loving this one most of all!
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry! Work was INSANE. I'm one step away from rolling my eyes every time my boss's boss open's his *(^% mouth.

anacgarcia-- Thank you honey. The gaps are actually quite pretty... hmm...

Here you go Gypsy, i think it's pretty
35.gif

17.gif

THANK YOU IRINA PHOTOSHOP QUEEN. That gives me a great perspective on how it will look.

And FI's right. *blushing*. I'm going to tell Erik that the shank is going to have to be adjusted the way Widget has drawn (thank you Widget!) Like the Daniel K. I think the shank is (don't pelt me with tomatoes) too thick. The man really does know me well.

Isaku and Kaleigh... I'm working on him regarding the gold v platinum issue. He'll be here for a week around Thanksgiving so I'm going to take him to JE to see it in real life... I'm hoping that will make an impression.

ETA: THANK YOU EVERYONE! I'll keep you all posted on the progress. Need that job offer!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I love the ring! Are you wearing it with another band? I forget. If not, I''d keep the band as it is.

There have been a lot of people losing stones with pave in plat. I think Sundials HOF setting is wg. Maybe you can ask her how her wg and pave have held up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results