shape
carat
color
clarity

Fix it or Forget it - Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 8:40:13 PM
Author: strmrdr
put that side against the setting and you will never see it even with a scope.
I totally agree with this. If you were choosing a different settting (other than tension) maybe I would feel differently but by placing that side against the setting, you will never even get the urge to look at the lines, because you can''t. Everything that you see, even under magnification will be "perfect."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, yes certainly Jonathan and I will work the final details out in private.
That is appropriate.

But brainstorming is good.
It is very helpful to hear what others would do if they were in this situation.

A lot of people here feel I should just keep it and just not worry if I didn't get what I paid for.
I like to consider all the different ways of looking at this.
I value your opinions.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that going on what Jonathan has said, getting it re-polished another time would be out, they probably could not guarantee that they would not have to trim the other sides of the diamond to keep the symmetry. It sounds like you are not happy so in my opinion, I would decide if I wanted to keep the stone and if so at least ask Jon for a bit of compensation or send it back and get him to look for another one. You seem to be set that you want very high clarity and color but would you be unhappy if a small chip through wearing your diamond then downgraded your stone to VS1 or could you live with it? You can not keep getting diamonds polished, well most jewellers I would think would only do it for you if there was a durability issue and plus you have to enjoy the diamond.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can live with whatever wear and tear happens *after* I buy it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How would you feel if Jonathan said he could not give you any compensation on the stone, would you keep it then? I am sure you have thought all these questions out yourself. Well you obviously would not be answering that one here but to yourself, as he posts on this board.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really strange.

Apparently most people think it is okay to be sent a $28,000 VVS2 diamond with a chip that is not on the report.
Then after sending it back finding out it now has a polish grade that may not match the report.

This is all just Kenny being too picky?
Just take whatever they send you and set it into a ring?
And don't look too closely?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another question for yourself, as you like perfection would you be happy keeping the diamond if it was VG or G polish or do you ultimately want to own an Ex because that is what you want and were seeking in the first place? Is it just the money to you or the perfection too, which it is with the Color and Clarity so probably the Cut too
5.gif
. Is there another diamond out there cut as well as this one, remember what Strmdr and yourself went through in grading this one? How often would one come around as great, would you be willing to wait 3 months, 6 months, 1 year? Would you like a refund and then think about it for a while and look for a new one?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
When I said I would put the side of the diamond with the marks to the setting side, I didn't mean you should just accept the situation. I do think you should be compensated for the diamond's possible lower polish grade. I believe you should pay for a diamond with VG polish. Now, if you will only be happy with EX polish, than I would return it, rather than get it repolished. I just think something else may happen to the diamond that then will also need to be fixed.

If it were me, I would want to pay for a diamond with VG polish and call it a day. Your diamond will be no less beautiful in its tension setting. But, I also understand mind clean, as I am crazy about a diamond's color. So if it will always bug you, $28,000 is waaaay too much money for something that you are not completely happy with.

If you choose to keep it and not have it polished, you need to be honest with yourself and determine if you can really forget about it or if it will be forever flawed in your eyes and mind.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I would keep it...especially if it is being set in a bezel setting.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason people are replying as they are I think is because of who your audience is. Most people do not buy VVS stones on here, as they do not see the merit in them, you do. You need to ask someone who feels the way you do I think. I know it is a lot of money but people are not looking at it in that way they are looking at it in the way they feel when buying their own diamond that as long as it is not seen with the naked eye it is not there.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it is a great cut.
That''s a big reason I bought it.

I felt comfortable buying the stone because the price was set by very transparent competition.
I feel I am at a disadvantage if this anomaly results in a price adjustment.

How much of $28,000 is for the EX polish over VG or Good?
$200?
$2,000?
$5,000?
More?

I have no idea.
How would I find out from an independent party with the expertise?
Nobody is allowed to email or PM anyone here.
7.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Could you take it to an independent appraiser in your area to find out what they think a price adjustment could be?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 10:56:18 PM
Author: kenny
This is really strange. Apparently most people think it is okay to be sent a $28,000 VVS2 diamond with a chip that is not on the report. Then after sending it back finding out it now has a polish grade that may not match the report. This is all just Kenny being too picky? Just take whatever they send you and set it into a ring? And don''t look too closely?
Is it OKAY? No ... but neither is a ding on a new Ferrari. Stuff happens. You''re asking US what WE would do.

IF I LOVED the stone

a) I never would have looked at it under a microscope
b) I would know that it''s rarer to find a "great" asscher than an EX/EX anything
c) I might ask if the vendor would give some financial consideration -- being that I thought I was getting an EX/EX & that''s not *exactly* what I got ...
BUT
d) if they said "no" & offered only the options of return or new stone ... I would keep the stone I love. I def wouldn''t send it back just ON PRINCIPAL.

It seems this is really making you angry ... as if it was all being done on purpose??
33.gif
Or as if you''re being unjustly accused of being "too picky" out of the blue ... without having asked for input??

I can say that these are the first MICROSCOPIC pictures of diamonds I''ve ever seen .. and I would guess that 75% of PICKY pricescopers probably wouldn''t have even caught the ORIGINAL problem ... much less this even more subtle one ... which occurred trying to restore the stone to your desired condition.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes new Ferraris get dings.
But not before they hand you the keys.

I hear what you are saying, but as I said the chip and the polish lines are visible with a cheap 10x loupe.

That does not make for a photo that communicates anything though.

And granted, I am a very alert customer.
I expect to get what I am paying for.
It's not my fault that most customers are not and do not.

And of course I know nobody is doing this on purpose. My goodness.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 11:22:00 PM
Yes new Ferraris get dings. But not before they hand you the keys.
Kenny, sometimes they do. We all buy things that aren''t in "perfect" condition without realizing it in advance. Most folks don''t go over their new cars with magnifying glasses. Once you drive it off the lot ... the value goes down instantly. This isn''t the case here -- you have the option to return & get your full $$ back. Perhaps that''s the best resolution.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jasmine, thanks that is a good suggestion.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
no real advice from the correct or incorrect point of view, just sorry it has been a rollercoaster with your new pretty!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny,
First sorry that this has been a hassle for you.
Earlier I was just throwing out an option not trying to tell you what to do.

I can tell you what I would do....
The chip .. yea fix it.
It was fixed without damaging a kicken asscher.
From the sounds of it there is a small chance further cutting might trash the outline because more would have to be removed.
I think that wear and tear would add worse too it fairly soon.
If it was mine at this point Id mount it and forget it.
That might not be the right answer for you.

The other option is returning it and starting over and it might very well take a year or 2 to find its equal and it will be priced higher, not only due to an AGS cert but the price increases that happen at the begining of every year.

Again Im not saying what you should do Im just typing out my thinking at the moment.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Storm, and everyone.
I really appreciate everyone's contribution.
It really helps me to hear other opinions and bounce ideas back and forth.

Sorry, but I guess I'm a little emotional about this.
It is an awful lot of money for me.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 11:40:53 PM
Thanks Storm, and everyone.
I really appreciate everyone''s contribution.
It really helps me to hear other opinions and bounce ideas back and forth.

Sorry, but I guess I''m a little emotional about this.
It is a lot of money for me.
understand
its a lot of money for pretty much anyone.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
From what I have read Kenny, you love this stone. It''s OK it''s not perfect and I think you agree with that. Try to get some kind of price adjustment and continue to love it.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Kenny...that is so fustrating. I would send it back and try for another stone. Something that expensive should be perfect. Good luck in deciding what to do.
40.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is what i know of kenny:
kenny pays for what he can''t see.
unfortunately, now kenny sees things that he didn''t pay for (or more specifically, paid not to see)

we may be different on that (paying for what you can or can''t see) but we are the exact same on getting what you paid for.
if it were me, i would not be happy either. i seriously don''t know what i would do if i had found a stone that i *loved* turned out to have faults (that were not my fault!). i would be upset for sure but i don''t know what i would do. maybe having a few more days to think about it will help.
i feel for you kenny. take your time deciding.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Kenny ... not to hijack but I realized I never posted the pix you asked for of my setting with the mirrored trough dealie ... so here it is :). Good luck making your decision. I def. sympathize about the emotion involved ... especially when one (as you admitted) struggles with perfectionism. Hard cross to bear. Freeing on the otherside though!!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally see your point Kenny. What happened isn''t your fault. So have to say either you get a price adjustment, or find another stone that meets your qualifications. I don''t see anyone saying just set it and forget about it. But maybe I missed a post or two. I feel for ya, I really do. The other thing I wanted to say is if you sent this stone back, to get a refund, went on to search for another one and your stone sold quickly how would you feel?? Like oh no, my asscher is gone?? The one that got away?? Or well I did the right thing??? Only you can answer that. Just food for thought. Lisa

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decodelighted, thanks for the link.
I couldn''t post there but I think your ring is gorgeous.
The asscher is perfect! and I like how you improved the setting too.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just something to think about, not really relevant to your stone considering it is square anyway. However, someone once got me thinking when they said, notice everything in the Universe is round, you do not see any natural square shapes, i.e. the world, the moon, how people have evolved rounded heads, shoulders etc. This is because everything with friction or force (don''t know the right technical term) wears everything rounded, e.g. stones from the sea are smoothed and round. So if diamonds are forever they will all eventually be made round, long after we have gone.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I totally understand where you are coming from. The diamond industry is all about minute details. If there is a crystal the size of a gnat''s eyelash, an IF becomes a VVS1 and the price drops. These little itsy bitsy details matter when it comes to the price of a stone. The difference between a D and an E is also an itsy bitsy teeny weeny little thing, but again, it''s a price difference.

It''s would be very hard for me too to say "no-biggy" because little differences add up to big bucks! I can appreciate your attention to detail. Pricing is based on minutia, and so even if this seems like a small thing, it makes a big difference.

On a separate note, are you having panic attacks about the $28K and this is how it''s manifesting itself? Just wondering, trying to understand what you''re going through.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kenny,

If it were me, I would never ever ever return that asscher. (I also have a vvs2 asscher, by the way...so I know that many PS''ers roll their eyes at us
2.gif
) But I also know what it takes to find an asscher that is that awesome. Don''t think that any $28,000 asscher will look like yours, because really, none will. That''s the beauty, AND the pain in the *ss about asschers.

I don''t know what the cost difference would be for your stone to drop from EX/EX to VG/EX. But I''ll go out on a limb to wager that it isn''t enough to warrant making it an orphan (again
11.gif
). I also doubt that sending it back to GIA would be fun, and it seems like that is what the appraiser was saying was necessary to go back to GOG with a good case for a truly misrepresented stone.

If I were you, I would decide if I could bear to part with the stone (I couldn''t, but maybe you could?). If I couldn''t, I would talk it out with Jonathan and figure out what I needed to make myself happy. I would take my GIA cert straight to the insurance company and insure the stone I bought and paid for. They don''t need to know you''ve been looking at your stone through the Hubble Telescope
28.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 11:27:01 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 12/15/2006 11:22:00 PM
Yes new Ferraris get dings. But not before they hand you the keys.
Kenny, sometimes they do. We all buy things that aren''t in ''perfect'' condition without realizing it in advance. Most folks don''t go over their new cars with magnifying glasses. Once you drive it off the lot ... the value goes down instantly. This isn''t the case here -- you have the option to return & get your full $$ back. Perhaps that''s the best resolution.
I bet if it is returned to the market at any price - but particularly lower - there very well might be a rush to snatch it up. The marks there now wouldn''t effect me in the least. I''d want some compensation - but I don''t think I''d be able to part with it...

good luck in YOUR decision though kenny!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results