shape
carat
color
clarity

First Post, First Project: Amethyst Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 8:40:47 AM
Author: Babyblue033
I really like the Hearts of Water setting, I''ve been admiring it myself.

I did a little asking about customization: how much was possible and an estimate if it was. I''ll post when I get a response from her.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE LOVE your new Asscher. The color and the cut are beautiful. I''ve enjoyed looking at all of the setting ideas in this thread. The Leon and the Heart of Water ones really catch my eye. Guess that''s new on Sally''s site? I like how clean and simple it is considering how large your stone is.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 2:01:16 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
LOVE LOVE your new Asscher. The color and the cut are beautiful. I''ve enjoyed looking at all of the setting ideas in this thread. The Leon and the Heart of Water ones really catch my eye. Guess that''s new on Sally''s site? I like how clean and simple it is considering how large your stone is.

Thank you! I''m not sure . . . I''ve only recently discovered and looked into Heart of Water. Still haven''t heard anything back from her about my customization question.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve gotten a response about the customization and Sally is so friendly!

This moves up the Mistral setting to one of my top choices. She tells me that I can do the setting in rose gold, and that she''ll be posting some new work for a customer this weekend, in rose gold, so this will give me a good idea of the overall look of the gold. She also has a spinner ring featuring some rose gold that I saw in the listings, if anyone else is interested in taking a gander at the rose gold.

I''m attaching another pic of the Mistral setting here for the purpose of looking at the detail work on the basket. I really like the look of it on the ring, and it''s very minimal here because of a relatively shallow depth of that stone, but do you think that when it''s extended for the 11mm depth of this amethyst, it could be overwhelming? Mostly I think it won''t, but, you know me, fixating on the inconsequential details!

HeartofWater Mistral side.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that setting will be lovely, and I LOVELOVELOVE rose gold.

I think more of that side detail will actually be very nice but I love intricate and ornate settings. I''m really curious how the other sides will turn out with a square stone, I guess the split shank will be more pronounced?

If you don''t mind sharing, how was her quote? I was wondering if rose gold will increase the cost than the yellow gold.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 1:14:10 PM
Author: Babyblue033
I think that setting will be lovely, and I LOVELOVELOVE rose gold.

I think more of that side detail will actually be very nice but I love intricate and ornate settings. I''m really curious how the other sides will turn out with a square stone, I guess the split shank will be more pronounced?

If you don''t mind sharing, how was her quote? I was wondering if rose gold will increase the cost than the yellow gold.

Not sure about the split shank, I didn''t ask b/c I think I''m fine either way. I like the slim shanks that don''t extend to the edges, so if it stays the same I''m good, but if it widens slightly to keep the ratio with the larger setting, I''m good too.

I can''t give you a solid comparison between yellow and rose because I had two separate estimates. The first round, was yellow gold only and she thought that surely the measurements I''d mentioned had been a typo (I get that a LOT, no one wants to believe that I want something so tall on my finger LOL), so I got a more "normal" depth estimate. I inquired about the rose gold and she agreed it would be a great option, so the second round was just rose gold and the adjusted depth.

Yellow gold for the shallower setting was $450-560 depending on which karat weight.
Rose gold for the deeper setting is not a sure thing, b/c she''s not sure of the weight for the extra depth, and the price is so dependent on the weight. So . . . for estimation sake, she wanted me to be prepared for $560 - 680.

Like I said, she''s v.friendly and with the attention to gold gram weight in my pricing, she comes across to me as a very honest person. Very quick to assure me that if the gold weight turned out to be less, so would the price. It''s comforting.
1.gif
I felt much more reassured about clear communication with Sally than I felt with LOGR, for what it''s worth.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I keep the amethyst out on my desk in our office b/c we are computer nerds and spend most of our waking hours in here. So I end up taking many many pics of it in all sorts of different lighting and at different angles. I love this color and cut so much -- I just can''t wait until I get to wear it!

Pixy Am and Blue 1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
One more . . . humour me.
9.gif

Pixy Am and Blue 2.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2009 12:44:49 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
I''ve gotten a response about the customization and Sally is so friendly!

This moves up the Mistral setting to one of my top choices. She tells me that I can do the setting in rose gold, and that she''ll be posting some new work for a customer this weekend, in rose gold, so this will give me a good idea of the overall look of the gold. She also has a spinner ring featuring some rose gold that I saw in the listings, if anyone else is interested in taking a gander at the rose gold.

I''m attaching another pic of the Mistral setting here for the purpose of looking at the detail work on the basket. I really like the look of it on the ring, and it''s very minimal here because of a relatively shallow depth of that stone, but do you think that when it''s extended for the 11mm depth of this amethyst, it could be overwhelming? Mostly I think it won''t, but, you know me, fixating on the inconsequential details!
tHIS IS GORGEOUS! SETTING!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not that you don''t already have plenty of ideas, but I found this and thought of your ammy! its really for an emerald cut 14x12 but thought it''ll give you some more idea
1.gif

adwarcastsquareasscherlarge.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 10:27:58 PM
Author: D&T
not that you don''t already have plenty of ideas, but I found this and thought of your ammy! its really for an emerald cut 14x12 but thought it''ll give you some more idea
1.gif

Hehe, thank you! :)

So, when I took the amethyst in to the local jeweler with whom I''m familiar, he suddenly got a whoooole lot more interested in this little project. The man really likes to give a discourse, be it on stones or metals or whatever else may come up. The discourse included comments about my plan of rose gold, which he said was "really too soft for prongs". Which Knobby has now latched onto and likes to bring up whenever I''m discussing my plans involving "the dream setting". Is this true?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 10:27:58 PM
Author: D&T
1.gif

Forgot to ask: I can see it''s an Adwar setting from the file name, but is there any way to tell what these settings cost without waiting until you''re asking your jeweler about ordering them? That''s kept me from really getting excited about some of these jeweler''s-only companies. I realize why they do it, of course, it just doesn''t help me when I''m being an armchair shopper. :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well I think maybe your jeweler is discouraging you from rose gold as soldering is a little more trickier and I think the jeweler has a harder time working on rose gold, but I've read somewhere that rose gold is actually harder than yellow gold and wears better over time but I'm not sure if its harder than white gold. Yep thats an adwar cast, unfortunately can only be ordered by a jeweler bu you can ask your local jeweler and see what they come up with the price tag is if you wanted to order a cast from adwar or stuller. I think this is where the jeweler has their discretionary price tag. I would be very curious as to what three different jeweler has to say on ordering a cast from adwar or stuller and what the end price tag would be.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh I wanted to add this little chart I found on gold mixes and their hardness
hope you can read it

GOLD MIXES and Hardness.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I feel a bit ditsy, but tell me if I''m reading the chart correctly. (That''s a great chart, btw! V. helpful, thank you.)

I''m assuming the higher the hardness number, the harder the metal.

At 136 vs 155, I''m assuming that the 14k rose gold is softer than the 14k yellow gold. BUT, then the 18k rose gold (red) is claimed to be 257 below. Which tops the white gold at 179. So actually, using the rose would be the most secure setting in theory . . . right?

Men are funny. I run around trying to find the prettiest setting, and the only thing he focuses on is it''s strength. Too much Military Channel for him, I guess.
26.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
bump for the LOGR rope setting... does anyone have a link for it? i can''t find it anywhere on his site!
sorry to thread jack... beautiful stone by the way! gorgeous!

thanks in advance!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2009 1:17:22 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
I feel a bit ditsy, but tell me if I'm reading the chart correctly. (That's a great chart, btw! V. helpful, thank you.)

I'm assuming the higher the hardness number, the harder the metal.

At 136 vs 155, I'm assuming that the 14k rose gold is softer than the 14k yellow gold. BUT, then the 18k rose gold (red) is claimed to be 257 below. Which tops the white gold at 179. So actually, using the rose would be the most secure setting in theory . . . right?

Men are funny. I run around trying to find the prettiest setting, and the only thing he focuses on is it's strength. Too much Military Channel for him, I guess.
26.gif
Hey Fiery- just saw this today. sorry, but I'm no expert by any means, and I don't want to steer you wrong. My gut theory would say yes to the highlighted, but I hope a metalsmith or a jeweler can actually give you more details as to the composition as well. it would be some good research in vickers scale though
34.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
ohhh lauren thanks so much!!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the additional photos you posted. Both of THE STONE and of Sally''s setting. I think if I were to buy a stone with the idea of putting it in a specific setting, this would be the setting. I wounder if sh''e do it in an oval? I''m off to check her site for new stuff!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Vizsla - Thanks!

D&T - No problem, I plan to ask Sally since she''s working with it, but didn''t want to bother her again until I''m ready to say go go go! I''m having to wait to see if my local jeweler really comes through with a pretty ring I saw in his store, but was sold before I decided I couldn''t live without it. If he doesn''t, THEN it''s "go go go!" for Sally!

Stone Hunter - Thanks! You never know . . . it never hurts to ask!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results