shape
carat
color
clarity

First Post, First Project: Amethyst Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I have always loved this setting - don''t know if you do, or if it''s in your budget, but it''s so elegant. And even though it has diamonds, it comes off as a fairly simple setting with clean lines.

Here''s the link to the eBay auction. I think they could custom make the setting to fit any stone, too.

For amethyst asscher.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 6:31:27 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
I''ll have to check with Brian Gavin Diamonds. Thanks for the recommendation!
I''m just passin'' on what I''ve heard! I contacted them today about my own first ever custom project & Leslie emailed me right back to let me know they''d gotten the request. It takes a sec to register on their site but its not hard. Whiteflash is usually prompt re: emails too -- dunno?

With a large stone like that I really think your "simple, elegant" direction is spot on. The stone is a star!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 6:37:49 PM
Author: cellentani
I have always loved this setting - don''t know if you do, or if it''s in your budget, but it''s so elegant. And even though it has diamonds, it comes off as a fairly simple setting with clean lines.

Here''s the link to the eBay auction. I think they could custom make the setting to fit any stone, too.

Oh, that looks so dainty and lovely. It''s a little much for my immediate (cheap) budget, but I''m going to keep it/the seller in mind. Being on a budget weights one''s choices down a little, doesn''t it. Not as much fun!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
More preferences: Loved the Vera Wang rings, with their ultra thin bands and huge rather simple stones and prongs. The micropave is not so much a neccessity.

vera wang rings.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d keep it simple; a plain band with double prongs in yellow gold would be lovely. It''s a pity the Tripps setting is too small.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
More Preferences: If money were no object, I might be tempted to plop the asscher into something like this Diorette setting. A total turn-about from my project mantra of simple and clean, I know! But . . . my taste veers from tres'' busy to tres'' simple. But money IS an object, so I''ll gladly slink back to tres'' simple. It''s just a little fantasy.

DioretteAmethyst.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 6:55:29 PM
Author: Chrono
I''d keep it simple; a plain band with double prongs in yellow gold would be lovely. It''s a pity the Tripps setting is too small.

Chrono, how did you know what I was going to post for my last "preference" pic?
2.gif

From my lurking days, I''ve held onto this pic of HarlowQueen''s Harry Winston ring . . . so I hope she doesn''t mind my re-posting. It has the minimal band, and at least from this angle a minimal setting as well. Love the double prongs, love the whole ring. :)

Alright, housework must be done, and my dogs are desperate for some attention, so I will be back in a little while. You guys have been so great this afternoon -- Thanks so much!

ps harlowqueen harrywinston.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I thought this LOGR setting was sort of Vera Wang-ish in design (and it''s cheap):

LOGR rope profile.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 8:04:06 PM
I thought this LOGR setting was sort of Vera Wang-ish in design (and it''s cheap):
That''s pretty cool; great find Cellentani.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh thats pretty = i want it!
11.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

That is so pretty! I don''t think its one I''ve seen before.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Fierypyropixy (what a nick BTW),

If you can''t decide on simple vs. ornate, maybe you can have both by keeping it simple when looking from the front, and having some details (or accent stones) on the profile of a basket or a shank. I''d also keep your budget in mind, cause I prefer seeing more simple things done on a budget - they make for a nicer end product instead of taking the fantasy route.

When it comes to metal choice, it''s true that amethysts can look good with either of them. But yellow gold does give most of them a nice "punch" with some more color saturation. White can look great if a stone doesen''t need any help in color saturation (it''s depth, richness), but keep in mind that a striking contrast of light (metal) and dark (stone) can make the stone seem too dark. Rose gold would bring out the pink tones of course and it''s great if you''re into romantic-looking jewellery. And if you still cant'' decide, there''s always a two tone option.

BTW, I wouldn''t do those sharp, pointy prongs on this one, since I think wider, more flat ones (that seem cut off at ends) will accentuate the cutting more - won''t interfere with the steps. I never find teeny-tiny prongs on a large stone to be a great solution.

Hope this helps.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 10:26:25 PM
Author: D&T

oh thats pretty = i want it!
11.gif

I agree, that would make a cool ring!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Cellentani: You guys are good. :) That one has caught my eye two separate times now (trolling through the endless pages of the LOGR listings), and I love that it''s different and reminiscent of the VeraWang setting, but my biggest concern is: do you think the roping would be irritating? I think I may be probably overthinking it though. This is definitely a frontrunner setting.

Ma Re: Thanks, FieryPyroPixy is what my husband nicknamed me while we were dating . . . he thought I was "fiery", so started calling me "his little pyro" and my longtime nickname has been Pixy (for love of the PixyStix!). It turned into my moniker when he bought/made me a new website with that address, and proposed on it as a surprise. Now it''s stuck! (Brief history lesson over.) Thanks for the suggestions . . . I am really considering a rose gold currently.

I''m going to go look through the PS trove of jewelry lovers to see if I can find any rose gold LOGR settings. I can''t remember if that was something you could request, and for some crazy incompetent reason I seem to be unable to FIND them on ebay right now. I must need coffee more than I realized!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 10:10:46 AM
Cellentani: You guys are good. :) That one has caught my eye two separate times now (trolling through the endless pages of the LOGR listings), and I love that it''s different and reminiscent of the VeraWang setting, but my biggest concern is: do you think the roping would be irritating? I think I may be probably overthinking it though. This is definitely a frontrunner setting.

Ma Re: Thanks, FieryPyroPixy is what my husband nicknamed me while we were dating . . . he thought I was ''fiery'', so started calling me ''his little pyro'' and my longtime nickname has been Pixy (for love of the PixyStix!). It turned into my moniker when he bought/made me a new website with that address, and proposed on it as a surprise. Now it''s stuck! (Brief history lesson over.) Thanks for the suggestions . . . I am really considering a rose gold currently.

I''m going to go look through the PS trove of jewelry lovers to see if I can find any rose gold LOGR settings. I can''t remember if that was something you could request, and for some crazy incompetent reason I seem to be unable to FIND them on ebay right now. I must need coffee more than I realized!
Every once in awhile they offer a setting in rose gold, but most of the time you just request it at the end of the auction. You can always ask during the auction too, just to make sure it''s do-able. Unless you want something 2-toned, I don''t think they charge extra, but again, just ask to make sure. A custom setting to fit your stone''s measurements is usually an extra $30, non-refundable. There are several rose gold LOGRs here on PS, just run a search. I just had one made for my morganite. The general consensus about LOGR rose gold is that it looks a little coppery, but I was happy enough with mine. I''ve just warmed up to the amethyst/RG combo since hanging around here, so I''ll be interested in seeing how yours turns out!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Along with the VeraWang-type setting, this LOGR setting has really stuck with me too. The detail shots make me think that the basket wouldn''t be deep enough to accommodate my stone though. So that makes me ask:

When you ask for the customization to these, like upgrading the diamonds or changing the gold, can you specify a depth for the basket? Or would LOGR only size it up to a "standard" 12mm setting size? How specific are you allowed to get?

LOGR split hand.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:32:15 AM
Date: 6/25/2009 10:10:46 AM

Cellentani: You guys are good. :) That one has caught my eye two separate times now (trolling through the endless pages of the LOGR listings), and I love that it's different and reminiscent of the VeraWang setting, but my biggest concern is: do you think the roping would be irritating? I think I may be probably overthinking it though. This is definitely a frontrunner setting.

Ma Re: Thanks, FieryPyroPixy is what my husband nicknamed me while we were dating . . . he thought I was 'fiery', so started calling me 'his little pyro' and my longtime nickname has been Pixy (for love of the PixyStix!). It turned into my moniker when he bought/made me a new website with that address, and proposed on it as a surprise. Now it's stuck! (Brief history lesson over.) Thanks for the suggestions . . . I am really considering a rose gold currently.

I'm going to go look through the PS trove of jewelry lovers to see if I can find any rose gold LOGR settings. I can't remember if that was something you could request, and for some crazy incompetent reason I seem to be unable to FIND them on ebay right now. I must need coffee more than I realized!

Every once in awhile they offer a setting in rose gold, but most of the time you just request it at the end of the auction. You can always ask during the auction too, just to make sure it's do-able. Unless you want something 2-toned, I don't think they charge extra, but again, just ask to make sure. A custom setting to fit your stone's measurements is usually an extra $30, non-refundable. There are several rose gold LOGRs here on PS, just run a search. I just had one made for my morganite. The general consensus about LOGR rose gold is that it looks a little coppery, but I was happy enough with mine. I've just warmed up to the amethyst/RG combo since hanging around here, so I'll be interested in seeing how yours turns out!

We are so on the same page. :) Silly question -- do you typically ask through the auction that you specifically want to upgrade, or can you ask through any auction if the setting you like isn't an active listing, and reference the previous auction ID number?

Edit: I meant before bidding/buying, for estimation purposes.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:35:09 AM
Along with the VeraWang-type setting, this LOGR setting has really stuck with me too. The detail shots make me think that the basket wouldn''t be deep enough to accommodate my stone though. So that makes me ask:

When you ask for the customization to these, like upgrading the diamonds or changing the gold, can you specify a depth for the basket? Or would LOGR only size it up to a ''standard'' 12mm setting size? How specific are you allowed to get?
Sometimes they can do that, sometimes they can''t. I would send them the measurements (I''ve even sent them pics by email of my stone), and let them tell you what they can do. I would even get very specific and give them the pavillion depth. I like that setting too, and actually think it''s more fitting for your stone.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! Can''t wait to see how you set it!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:39:28 AM

We are so on the same page. :) Silly question -- do you typically ask through the auction that you specifically want to upgrade, or can you ask through any auction if the setting you like isn''t an active listing, and reference the previous auction ID number?

You can ask through any of those ways, as long as you reference an auction number (does not need to be active). If I''m asking about an inactive setting, I''ll usually just email him. It can take a day or two for him to reply - he said once that they get hundreds of questions/day.

Here''s another LOGR setting, but you''ve probably seen it already. I think it has diamonds on the outside of the prongs - hard to tell.

LOGR for asscher.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh what a gorgeous stone that is
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
and love the ideas you have received, for the settings.

I can''t wait to see what you decide.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 3:22:50 PM

We are so on the same page. :) Silly question -- do you typically ask through the auction that you specifically want to upgrade, or can you ask through any auction if the setting you like isn''t an active listing, and reference the previous auction ID number?

You can ask through any of those ways, as long as you reference an auction number (does not need to be active). If I''m asking about an inactive setting, I''ll usually just email him. It can take a day or two for him to reply - he said once that they get hundreds of questions/day.

Here''s another LOGR setting, but you''ve probably seen it already. I think it has diamonds on the outside of the prongs - hard to tell.

Oh, I haven''t seen that setting! I like it too -- I''ve scrolled through the listings but can''t find it, is it an active auction and I missed it?

I really want to go ahead and ask about the modifications for the extra depth if needed, but I''m trying to be patient and wait until the stone arrives so I have a solid number to give. I don''t wait v.patiently -- all morning I''ve been resisting just snapping one up! LOL

Linda W: Thanks!
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery- I keep coming back to your thread to see what you have selected, then I see all these new rings Cellentani posted ...lol soooo many choices. are you going batty yet?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 4:23:41 PM

Date: 6/25/2009 3:22:50 PM

Oh, I haven''t seen that setting! I like it too -- I''ve scrolled through the listings but can''t find it, is it an active auction and I missed it?

I really want to go ahead and ask about the modifications for the extra depth if needed, but I''m trying to be patient and wait until the stone arrives so I have a solid number to give. I don''t wait v.patiently -- all morning I''ve been resisting just snapping one up! LOL

Linda W: Thanks!
1.gif
Had it in my watched items:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220431102581

The auction has ended but I think you can still ask questions about it.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link, Brandy!

D&T: My poor husband is so THRILLED that I''m on PS b/c I don''t have friends/family who are THIS interested in jewelry, and that mostly leaves him to be the recipient of a whoooole lot of one-sided conversations about nothing but jewelry. The man took me to a local jeweler for a birthday/woohoo-our-video-game-is-released present idea, and I left with dreams of FOUR different beauties which need to be in my jewelry box. LOL. So . . .needless to say, I am THRILLED to be getting so much assistance with this project!

I''m pretty much circling around two choices right now, but want to throw out a Last Call announcement. Is there anything outside the world of LOGR and WinkJones (another attached) that I''ve been missing?

winkjones dot com 10mm asscher setting 1615.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2009 5:55:23 PM

D&T: My poor husband is so THRILLED that I'm on PS b/c I don't have friends/family who are THIS interested in jewelry, and that mostly leaves him to be the recipient of a whoooole lot of one-sided conversations about nothing but jewelry. The man took me to a local jeweler for a birthday/woohoo-our-video-game-is-released present idea, and I left with dreams of FOUR different beauties which need to be in my jewelry box. LOL. So . . .needless to say, I am THRILLED to be getting so much assistance with this project!

I'm pretty much circling around two choices right now, but want to throw out a Last Call announcement. Is there anything outside the world of LOGR and WinkJones (another attached) that I've been missing?
That is gorgeous!

lol. My DH also. its all one side conversation, and includes a budget and that's about it, I go to town whoo hoo~ so I share on PS

ETA: have you looked into uniquesettings.com its like stuller.com or adwar.com a casting company that a jeweler will have to order for you.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 6:09:18 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 6/25/2009 5:55:23 PM

D&T: My poor husband is so THRILLED that I''m on PS b/c I don''t have friends/family who are THIS interested in jewelry, and that mostly leaves him to be the recipient of a whoooole lot of one-sided conversations about nothing but jewelry. The man took me to a local jeweler for a birthday/woohoo-our-video-game-is-released present idea, and I left with dreams of FOUR different beauties which need to be in my jewelry box. LOL. So . . .needless to say, I am THRILLED to be getting so much assistance with this project!

I''m pretty much circling around two choices right now, but want to throw out a Last Call announcement. Is there anything outside the world of LOGR and WinkJones (another attached) that I''ve been missing?
That is gorgeous!

lol. My DH also. its all one side conversation, and includes a budget and that''s about it, I go to town whoo hoo~ so I share on PS

ETA: have you looked into uniquesettings.com its like stuller.com or adwar.com a casting company that a jeweler will have to order for you.

Oh, I like the look of uniquesettings . . . something I''ve wondered with adwar too was if it was difficult to "persuade" a jeweler to order something from a company like this. If they don''t happen to subscribe to their catalog or haven''t dealt with them in the past.

Of course, I also wonder about taking in one of the LOGR settings, for instance, after reading on here (I can''t remember who though) about a jeweler that was very rude regarding the origin of the setting. THAT makes me a little paranoid!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewellers are generally able to order Stuller, Adwar and Unique Settings very easily. I have not come across any who are not able to order them. I really like that double pronged asscher setting. What a beauty!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 6:21:08 PM

Oh, I like the look of uniquesettings . . . something I''ve wondered with adwar too was if it was difficult to ''persuade'' a jeweler to order something from a company like this. If they don''t happen to subscribe to their catalog or haven''t dealt with them in the past.

Of course, I also wonder about taking in one of the LOGR settings, for instance, after reading on here (I can''t remember who though) about a jeweler that was very rude regarding the origin of the setting. THAT makes me a little paranoid!
Do you have an established relationship with a local jeweler? When I took my LOGR in, the first thing he did was snatch it off my finger and scrutinize it under the microscope (to look at the diamond quality). He usually asks how much my jewelry is (pieces I didn''t get from him), and I find it rather amusing that he''s always comparing prices. I didn''t have any problem telling him where it was from, and if your jeweler gets snooty, you can always say that you might re-set later, but it''s convenient for you to use this setting now. And snooty jewelers suck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results