shape
carat
color
clarity

First Post, First Project: Amethyst Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 2:51:49 AM
Author: ma re
Just a few pointers - the metal of your antique ring may be harder to identify cause all gold changes color slightly over time. And that''s why many antique yellow gold pieces look coppery, orangy, rosy or something like that. I believe it has something to do with the oxidation of copper which is a usual ingredient of most (if not all) yellow gold alloys. Oh and, a karat isn''t a weight measurement (like a carat), but a purity measurement. It tells you how much pure gold there is in the alloy as opposed to other metals (example, 14k means 14/24 parts are pure gold, since pure gold is 24k, and the other 10 parts are most likely silver and copper).

So, basically, I have been using a "mutt" ring as my inspiration . . . if only I could take it into the jeweler''s and request "in this mutt gold please".
2.gif

Joking aside, thanks, this was v.helpful.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Before I decided to dive into the PS world, this citrine caught my eye at a jeweler''s store at home I like. This seems v.similar to the end-product I''m going for . . . slim band, doorknob stone. I can do without the pave on the band. Prongs stand out, they seem a little overly prominent, but then again, I''m really prong-picky.

Pixy Christmas Citrine.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the side view. It seems to me that since I need as much light access to this amethyst as possible, the low basket would help in this regard. Right? Or does the bottom of the stone need as much or more light exposure?

Pixy Christmas Citrine Side.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
All rings are mutts, unless they''re pure, 24k gold (and very few are, because pure gold is quite soft). Heck, even platinum (950pt, or 900pt) uses alloys.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 4:48:59 PM
Author: cellentani
All rings are mutts, unless they''re pure, 24k gold (and very few are, because pure gold is quite soft). Heck, even platinum (950pt, or 900pt) uses alloys.

Oh, definitely, but I should have clarified -- I meant more along the age factor. "I''d like your aged gold please." Just like fine wine!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 5:15:48 PM
Author: fierypyropixy

Date: 6/27/2009 4:48:59 PM

Oh, definitely, but I should have clarified -- I meant more along the age factor. ''I''d like your aged gold please.'' Just like fine wine!
If only that were possible. Unfortunatelly, I''ve never seen a surface finishing method that has such a look as an end result. Now this is gonna sound weird, but your best bet would actually be a gold plated item, cause those have a gold layer on top of a copper layer, and the process often gives the gold layer a more rosy look (not always, but it can) due to the interaction of the two metals. But I''m sure today''s array of alloys available will give you something that''ll suit you even in solid golds.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Something has been bothering me since my receipt of the amethyst on Friday.

And keep in mind that this is the first stone I've ever ordered cut for me straight from rough, so this is why I feel the need to ask.

Immediately upon receiving the stone, of course I took it out of the box and examined it from every angle, took my macro pictures in awe, etc. The finish seemed a little dirty, but it had one or two tiny specks of the white cushion packaging material too, so I quickly cleaned it with my baby toothbrush and Dawn.

(By the way, are amethysts ok to clean with Windex? This is what I've been using for my diamonds and blue topaz ring, but refrained with the amethyst this time, just in case.)

Took the amethyst for Round Two of it's photo session, purposefully NOT touching the stone until it was absolutely neccessary to pick it up and put it next to the different golds on my hand. Brought it back in, hmm, I still see that "dirty finish", and so I cleaned it the same way once more, and have been studying on my desk since.

Our office is not on the sunny side of the house, so we get a lot of indirect light in here, and in this light, and in the overhead lighting at night, this stone is really holding on to what at first I thought were fingerprints. Basically, the finish feels v.dry, if that makes sense. Dry to the point of being absorbent. Absorbing the fingerprints and not wanting to give them up, even when buffing the top with a soft cloth which usually solves the streaking. These streaks hold on with a vengeance.

Is this due to the stone being so dark, that the slightest touch glows off of it? Or do most stones get some sort of sealant or polish applied? I searched the forums but mostly got threads on granite or bathrooms. :)

My blue topaz was not cut for me, it was a present from a jewelry fanatic family member who picked it up on a business trip. When running my finger over the topaz surface in the exact same way, the finish feels glassy and when turned the same way in the indirect light, does NOT retain the smudges and streak lines of fingerprints.

Also, my husband bought me a rather large (ok, big honking) green amethyst/quartz (prasiolite) ring for my birthday, which is checkerboard cushion cut, and I've been testing out the fingerprint smudge factor on it as well (since it has so much surface and is I assume roughly the same type) . . . and it too does not feel so "dry". It has more of the glassy smooth finish quality.

So . . . is it due to the dark color I'm not used to, or the amethyst material, or a lack of a finish polish/seal?

Thought about making this a separate thread . . . should I?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a shot in indirect light.

Asscher Prints 1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
One more . . . this is not reflection from the indirect light, but a pretty true approximation of the texture after swiping with a normal touch(no hand lotion or anything - I just washed my hands) and then trying to buff off with a soft cloth.

Asscher Prints 2.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I don''t know fpp - I think amethyst has vitreous luster, so it should have a glassy finish. Given the cutter, I would be floored if the stone weren''t polished correctly. Oils can be stubborn to remove with just a cloth, and even the slightest film will give even adamantine luster a yucky, greasy appearance. I remember reading a thread where PSers were OCD about cleaning their rings, and it would annoy them greatly when admirers would rub their fingers over the table of their stones, smudging them right after such careful cleaning. All this to say, your stone is probably fine, just keep your fingers off of it. Of course that''s impossible with a loose stoe, so I use one of those microfiber cloths used for eyeglasses, and have found that it works pretty well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...I have not seen any amethysts that still has the hazy look after cleaning. I would not expect it to be the polish since we know the cutter does a good job with that. How about soaking the stone in an ammonia free jewellery cleaner overnight?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 2:14:54 PM
Hmmm, I don''t know fpp - I think amethyst has vitreous luster, so it should have a glassy finish. Given the cutter, I would be floored if the stone weren''t polished correctly. Oils can be stubborn to remove with just a cloth, and even the slightest film will give even adamantine luster a yucky, greasy appearance. I remember reading a thread where PSers were OCD about cleaning their rings, and it would annoy them greatly when admirers would rub their fingers over the table of their stones, smudging them right after such careful cleaning. All this to say, your stone is probably fine, just keep your fingers off of it. Of course that''s impossible with a loose stoe, so I use one of those microfiber cloths used for eyeglasses, and have found that it works pretty well.

Yeah, that''s my problem -- I do have a hard time believing that such a pro cutter would send out a substandard piece, so I don''t believe my issue is with his quality of work. Are there any sealant-type products every applied to gems? Or are they ever given some sort of clear-coat?

When I say that, I keep thinking to self "Pixy, this is neither your granite countertops or your laser car wash". But I really do wonder! It just seems so dry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, there are no sealants or other applications applied to the gemstone after it is completed.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, I will chalk this up to my OCD picky tendencies. And soak it, clean it, and not touch it until I get it in a setting.
12.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 6:31:27 PM

Date: 6/24/2009 6:19:47 PM
Author: decodelighted
Its a shame that Tripps setting isn''t available in that size. I think that''d be the perfect pick! So close to the Tiffany''s yet different.

Love the Rose/Pink gold idea for it. (I just bristle at yellow gold on myself). Is your wedding set platinum or white gold?

PRETTY STONE, btw. Fun project. Have you emailed Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds?

Oh, I''m definitely a white gold girl.
1.gif
My skin is extremely fair and yellow gold comes off a little brash on me. BUT, I do have a little estate diamond ring that I wear on my right hand, vintage early 1900s or so, that is more rosy and tolerable. And it does really seem to add some personality to that amethyst coloring . . .

I''ve emailed Whiteflash but didn''t get a response. I''ll have to check with Brian Gavin Diamonds. Thanks for the recommendation!
Fiery, I saw this and checked with our email server folks - we don''t have your email.

If you''d like to resend it directly to my attention at [email protected], I''ll be happy to make sure it gets to the right person.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I''ll be quite interested to see what you end up going with as your stone seems to be a ''twin'' (of sorts) of a stone I got from Barry for my Mom.

Amethyst asscher 5950.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 7:44:37 PM
Author: Allison D.
Date: 6/24/2009 6:31:27 PM

Date: 6/24/2009 6:19:47 PM

Author: decodelighted

Its a shame that Tripps setting isn''t available in that size. I think that''d be the perfect pick! So close to the Tiffany''s yet different.

Love the Rose/Pink gold idea for it. (I just bristle at yellow gold on myself). Is your wedding set platinum or white gold?

PRETTY STONE, btw. Fun project. Have you emailed Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds?

Oh, I''m definitely a white gold girl.
1.gif
My skin is extremely fair and yellow gold comes off a little brash on me. BUT, I do have a little estate diamond ring that I wear on my right hand, vintage early 1900s or so, that is more rosy and tolerable. And it does really seem to add some personality to that amethyst coloring . . .

I''ve emailed Whiteflash but didn''t get a response. I''ll have to check with Brian Gavin Diamonds. Thanks for the recommendation!

Fiery, I saw this and checked with our email server folks - we don''t have your email.

If you''d like to resend it directly to my attention at [email protected], I''ll be happy to make sure it gets to the right person.

Hi Allison,

That is really so nice of you -- thanks so much!

My direction has changed a bit since I wrote the first, but let me gather some details and email tomorrow. Again, you are great!

And yes, your Mom''s stone IS looking kin to mine -- I''m loving it!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
And now, for something entirely different.

And this is SUCH a juxtaposition to the simple approach I''ve taken thus far.

I fell in love with this ring in 2005 or 2006, but we were freshly married and we were just starting out and I was just getting used to staying at home as a housewife and not contributing to income. (You would laugh -- I firmly believed and argued for things like . . . the a/c shouldn''t be on full blast all day while he was at work, since it was "just me" at home and I should "rough it" since I wasn''t helping us by working. Or . . . how my lunch should be as meager as possible (ramen, or as a luxury, last night''s leftovers) so as to not incur additional costs. CRAZY TALK. All the while HE was all about "WHY are you not going shopping? Getting manicures? Having lunch with other wives!". Sigh. It was a difficult transition, b/c I made it that way.) SO, I would have never dreamed of trying to obtain it at that time. And, hello, Chanel . . . if I wasn''t allowing myself more than ramen, I hardly think I''d have deserved Chanel!

So, on my website it went, to keep it in mind, and my admiration of cheapy amethysts began. But look at the lovely effect of these tsavorites against the amethyst . . . (there''s more)

Chanel Camelia Amethyst Flower.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
. . . Then think about that applied to this type of three-stone setting (Leon Mege of course) . . .

Or should I stop while I'm ahead, stay classic, and not risk jumping the "tacky" gun? I tend to go there.

leon mege 3stone.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a vivid pink and green is a great eye catching combo, especially if the design is kept simple like the Leon setting you attached.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 9:07:07 AM
Author: Chrono
I think a vivid pink and green is a great eye catching combo, especially if the design is kept simple like the Leon setting you attached.
ditto.. gorgeous. vivid and yes very EYECATCHING!
30.gif
but... for some reason, maybe a little lighter on the green?? i''m starting to think a bit of christmassy... still gorgeous though. I can''t pull it off myself, just too much color for me, but heck if you can - go for it!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I keep coming back to this thread to look at that beautiful purple asscher again and again.

Then I saw that LM ring with the pink and green stones.
That color combo is absolutely magic and I want to copy it for my ring.

I don't want to hijack so I'll add to my pink diamond thread.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It''s interesting you guys are talking about that Leon ring. I just got a big pink stone (the kind I''m not allowed to talk about
2.gif
) and was looking at that very ring. I was thinking I should get a quote just for the heck of it
31.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 6:19:25 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 6/29/2009 9:07:07 AM

Author: Chrono

ditto.. gorgeous. vivid and yes very EYECATCHING!
30.gif
but... for some reason, maybe a little lighter on the green?? i''m starting to think a bit of christmassy... still gorgeous though. I can''t pull it off myself, just too much color for me, but heck if you can - go for it!

Yes . . . I agree, with this deep purple, I want some little greens that really pop and aren''t more like evergreen - No Christmas jewelry here! The tsavorites in both the Chanel and Leon rings really seem to pop with a little fluorescence . . . I will have to get out and find some different greens to view in person. Maybe tourmaline? I cannot tell you how much I SALIVATE over the tourmaline with pink sapphire halo ring that Leon created for Green With Envy. Even though I might get a stern look from my preacher, I''d go so far to say I strongly covet that ring!

But really, I''ll need to take my stone with me, b/c I went to my favorite jeweler''s here today (sob, this was his last day in business and I loitered a LONG TIME over what was remaining . . . ) and showed him the amethyst . . . and boy, under his lights it flashed some red and blue sparks BEAUTIFULLY! So I will want to be extra picky (no difficulty for me there) and pick a green with some personality that is just the right shade. Well, look, I got carried away -- I''ll add "IF I end up going this route"!

Oh, and the jeweler? Tres'' impressed with Gary''s cut. It''s a fantastic feeling to get your jeweler''s approval!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 6:52:04 PM
Author: Moh 10
I keep coming back to this thread to look at that beautiful purple asscher again and again.

Then I saw that LM ring with the pink and green stones.

That color combo is absolutely magic and I want to copy it for my ring.

I don''t want to hijack so I''ll add to my pink diamond thread.

Aww, thanks muchly!

Yes, that Leon ring is so striking . . . in the midst of all his diamond rings, it just pops right off the screen!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I posted in another thread, but I''ll comment here as well. I''m waiting to see if my jeweler can procure a certain peridot ring for me, and that is going to take allowance precedence over my asscher since it''s a bit time-sensitive. BUT, I''m also waiting on this jeweler''s designer to get back to me with recommendations he''d have for the asscher after I submitted some pictures and dimensions.

The jeweler did try to persuade me away from rose gold, at least in the prongs, saying that it was softer and so it could compromise the security . . . but I don''t know exactly how I feel about, say, white gold prongs and a rose gold band or whatnot. I''ll have to see if I can find anything like that for example''s sake.

I see a lot of people going with Heart of Water Jewels on Etsy, and I like this ring -- so much that I almost ORDERED it, but then I tapped myself on the shoulder and reminded self that hello, one thing at a time, woman! BUT, what if it could be altered and used for the asscher? The asscher, it turns out, is almost as deep as it is wide, so it would be quite a different alteration. But I like the slight split shank, without pave, and the fairly simple design of it.

HeartofWater Mistral top.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
This is another two-parter post.

First, continuing in the idea from above, of combining the amethyst with some tsavorites/demantoid garnets, I also have this Tiffany Jean Schlumberger ring in my files . . . but don''t so much approve of those weird middle prongs.

Take the idea of these tsavorites channel-set though, and instead put them into more of a channel setting . . . (continued)

Tiffany Sapphire and Tsavorite.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
. . . like this. And in yellow gold. It''s something to consider!

Kwiat Channel.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the Hearts of Water setting, I''ve been admiring it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results