shape
carat
color
clarity

First Post, First Project: Amethyst Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I''ve been a PS lurker for a while but decided to take the leap . . .

Gary Braun finished cutting this yesterday and sent it off today, and I''m very excited to see it in person. It''s a 12.3mm, 9.92 carat Asscher-cut Amethyst.

(I hope the picture upload works.)

Now . . . the most daunting part is choosing the ring setting. I''ve checked out everyone''s favorite ebay seller (LOGR) and scoured the vendor recommendations. Most sites didn''t respond to my email inquiries. What would you recommend doing with this asscher?

AmethystAsscher.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh man, that is gorgeous! I really love seeing double prongs on those clipped corners. just gorgeous.. I am normally a bezel nut fan, but for darker colored stone, I say no to that idea.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
It is gorgeous! Do you have a budget? Is there a particular style you like?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you''re starting with a bang! That amethyst is gorgeous, and I love asschers. What would you like to do with it - are you thinking ring (that would make one huge ring!) or possibly pendant? It''s just beautiful, congratulations on getting it. Don''t forget to post lots of pics when it arrives!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this look...

AAqua1.jpg

AAqua2.jpg

Done by Michael at Gemshoppe.com

icekid

Ideal_Rock
wow, that baby is definitely going to take up some finger real estate! Very pretty. I like the split shank idea for such a large stone.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
luv da stone

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yowza, what a beauty that is!! I can''t wait to see how you set this precious.
30.gif
30.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you guys are fast, woohoo!!
30.gif

Thanks for all the nice comments . . . I''m so excited to see this baby in person!

Let''s see.

Budget: I bug the hubs on a pretty regular basis for jewelry beauties, so for once I''d like to seem low maintenance (ha!) and keep it restricted to my "allowance". Which . . . yeah, if it''s going to happen anytime soon, will be rather small. Maybe $500? But this sort of fits in hopefully with my preferences and vision . . .

Preferences: Yes, D&T, I''ve been thinking double claw/pointy prongs too! Cellentani, I really love rings b/c it''s the piece I''m going to be able to see the most! Otherwise, I suppose I''ve been thinking of a pretty simple basket, and a thinner band. Was thinking I could probably do without pave'' or sidestones b/c it''s going to be so large already . . . but then again I (and my budget) can be swayed pretty easily when I see sparklies! I like the look of D&T''s split shank - v.Daniel K - but have never seen how it looks on my finger.

How horrible is it for me to like this pretty simple Tiffany cocktail ring? I even inquired, thinking I''d buy it and possibly be able to change out their cushion for my asscher . . . but unfortunately it''s 14mm.

tiffany_amethyst_ring___1350.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
This is a better view of the basket on the Tiffany cocktail ring:

tiffany_amethyst_ring___side.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 5:24:40 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Wow, you guys are fast, woohoo!!
30.gif

Thanks for all the nice comments . . . I''m so excited to see this baby in person!

Let''s see.

Budget: I bug the hubs on a pretty regular basis for jewelry beauties, so for once I''d like to seem low maintenance (ha!) and keep it restricted to my ''allowance''. Which . . . yeah, if it''s going to happen anytime soon, will be rather small. Maybe $500? But this sort of fits in hopefully with my preferences and vision . . .

Preferences: Yes, D&T, I''ve been thinking double claw/pointy prongs too! Cellentani, I really love rings b/c it''s the piece I''m going to be able to see the most! Otherwise, I suppose I''ve been thinking of a pretty simple basket, and a thinner band. Was thinking I could probably do without pave'' or sidestones b/c it''s going to be so large already . . . but then again I (and my budget) can be swayed pretty easily when I see sparklies! I like the look of D&T''s split shank - v.Daniel K - but have never seen how it looks on my finger.

How horrible is it for me to like this pretty simple Tiffany cocktail ring? I even inquired, thinking I''d buy it and possibly be able to change out their cushion for my asscher . . . but unfortunately it''s 14mm.
Hey, nothing wrong with Simple, I''m usually a simple kinda gal myself, so no clue why I thought of the split shank
9.gif
I think there was a poster that had a plain split shank and this one I just happened to stumble across, I''m going to search for the other simple shank without diamonds... But I do love the claw on that Tiffany! its gorgeous too!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
This is approximately how big I think it''s going to be on my hand . . . of course my ruler and I don''t always agree. (The reason I was an English Major. LOL)

12mm.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! And, welcome to PriceScope. Looking forward to seeing your project set and finished.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 5:33:53 PM
This is approximately how big I think it''s going to be on my hand . . . of course my ruler and I don''t always agree. (The reason I was an English Major. LOL)
Great size! lol... so ok, now I''m thinking the simple solitaire single shank then. How bout putting at and angle the smaller cut corner N/S E/W ?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl: Thank you!

D&T: Very interesting, I hadn''t thought about turning it . . .hmmmm. My engagement ring is an asscher (ok, a square emerald, but I love it just the same!) and it never occurred to me to play with the orientation. I''ll have to search for some pictures . . . Thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How deep is your stone (which is lovely by the way!)? Many asschers are cut quite deep and this does restrict buying a ready made setting. It looks very substantial on your hand so I''m guessing adding in a bit of height isn''t something you''d be worried about?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here is an example.. although not exactly the same shape but similar

winkjonesdiamonorientation111.JPG

tigian

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous stone! hmmm...maybe double prong solitaire? I don't normally like yg, but with such a deep purple, I think it would work beautifully. What do you think about yg?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 5:47:10 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
How deep is your stone (which is lovely by the way!)? Many asschers are cut quite deep and this does restrict buying a ready made setting. It looks very substantial on your hand so I''m guessing adding in a bit of height isn''t something you''d be worried about?

Thanks! I''m not sure how deep it is . . . the tracking hasn''t registered on it yet, but it should arrive in 2-3 days. I''ve bothered the poor man so much with my emails that for once I''m just going to wait it out and measure it when it gets here. I love "big", so . . . I''m perfectly prepared for a doorknob on my ring finger . . . I think giddy might be more appropriate a term. I have a pretty good height example pic of another ring on my website, but of course it breaks today when I need to call up some example pics!

I''ve done a little preliminary checking with local custom work jewelers, and emailed, but few seem to respond, and the local people want to see the stone first before even committing to the vaguest of design ideas or estimates. Understandable, but I''m not the best player at the waiting game. Heh.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love searching for ideas for you... love asschers, here is a double prong for asscher from winkjones.com

winkjonesdoubleprongasscher1.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 5:49:00 PM
Author: D&T
here is an example.. although not exactly the same shape but similar

Definitely different . . . I''m going to add it to my idea folder and maybe see if I could photoshop and see what it could be like with dainty double claws and a simple, maybe double, thin band. Hmmm, thanks!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 5:53:58 PM
Author: tigian
What a gorgeous stone! hmmm...maybe double prong solitaire? I don''t normally like yg, but with such a deep purple, I think it would work beautifully. What do you think about yg?

Oh yes, usually I''m not a fan of yellow gold either, but somehow it does really bring out a great symmetry with that grape jelly color! I''ve been looking at this ring and wondering . . . and maybe some rose gold would work as well. There are so many options!

ylang23 - 5.33 em cut amethyst ring -2178.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here''s another. still trying to find a basket head like the tiffany idea

winkjonesdoubleprongasscher21.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
D&T: You know, I have that Tripps setting open in another window, but the 143-855 doesn''t come in a 12mm size, and the a15560 that does come in a 12mm seems a little wider-set in the prongs. They seemed v.reasonably priced, so I was contemplating getting one of those just to see the stone on my finger for a while, while I work on some ultimate final design. I just wonder how much I''d have to worry about the extra depth complicating the situation.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah I just saw the size was not there
7.gif

maybe waiting for a custom mount might work better due to the depth of the stone?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a shame that Tripps setting isn''t available in that size. I think that''d be the perfect pick! So close to the Tiffany''s yet different.

Love the Rose/Pink gold idea for it. (I just bristle at yellow gold on myself). Is your wedding set platinum or white gold?

PRETTY STONE, btw. Fun project. Have you emailed Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 6:12:15 PM
maybe waiting for a custom mount might work better due to the depth of the stone?

I did have a Christmas ring a few years ago, set in a Tripps setting (attached), and it was so easy and simple a process. Half of me says keep it simple (and of course my budget loves that), and the other half drools over fancier custom work.

I don''t know -- when I get my website back, I''ll be able to post some other inspirations. The possibilities locally don''t seem v.inspiring, but I''m so impatient to see the jewel on my hand -- I need to work on that!
29.gif

Christmas Blue Topaz.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 6:24:21 PM

Date: 6/24/2009 6:12:15 PM

I did have a Christmas ring a few years ago, set in a Tripps setting (attached), and it was so easy and simple a process. Half of me says keep it simple (and of course my budget loves that), and the other half drools over fancier custom work.

I don''t know -- when I get my website back, I''ll be able to post some other inspirations. The possibilities locally don''t seem v.inspiring, but I''m so impatient to see the jewel on my hand -- I need to work on that!
29.gif
beautiful setting here... so many choices.. what a fun project though!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 6:19:47 PM
Author: decodelighted
Its a shame that Tripps setting isn''t available in that size. I think that''d be the perfect pick! So close to the Tiffany''s yet different.

Love the Rose/Pink gold idea for it. (I just bristle at yellow gold on myself). Is your wedding set platinum or white gold?

PRETTY STONE, btw. Fun project. Have you emailed Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds?

Oh, I''m definitely a white gold girl.
1.gif
My skin is extremely fair and yellow gold comes off a little brash on me. BUT, I do have a little estate diamond ring that I wear on my right hand, vintage early 1900s or so, that is more rosy and tolerable. And it does really seem to add some personality to that amethyst coloring . . .

I''ve emailed Whiteflash but didn''t get a response. I''ll have to check with Brian Gavin Diamonds. Thanks for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results