shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding a Paraiba or Copper bearing Tourmaline

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bright ice I really don't know enough to say how it should be priced per ct, but I think it looks great! Sorry!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of color, my favorite non-copper bearing blue/green-blue tourmalines are from Namibia - known for their bright open color. But to my knowledge, they don't have the inner glow of a fine paraiba, if that's what you are looking for. I do recall someone bought a cab from PI that didn't look very glowy in pics and blew everyone here away IRL. But if you aren't set on a paraiba glow, I think the Namibian tourmaline is beautiful and a nice size!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It’s a Namibia Tourmaline, this is under incandescent lighting.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can buy 3 very nice quality gemstones for what the PI pear shape Paraiba cost! :confused2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last one you posted is very much like the one I purchased from Swala years ago. Its a beautiful color. It does not have the telltale "glow" of a copper bearing stone but, its very very close.
Its not the greatest pic (hard to focus sometimes with the bling bling!!)
20170806_1307252.jpg

These stones can be priced quite high even for non copper bearing stones.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last one you posted is very much like the one I purchased from Swala years ago. Its a beautiful color. It does not have the telltale "glow" of a copper bearing stone but, its very very close.
Its not the greatest pic (hard to focus sometimes with the bling bling!!)
20170806_1307252.jpg

These stones can be priced quite high even for non copper bearing stones.

@Arcadian yours is a gorgeous stone!

This seller assures me that the Namibia Tourmalines are the next best thing to Paraiba. He also says it doesn’t have the “telltale” glow but it’s very very close.

His asking price is $2733/ct.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This seller assures me that the Namibia Tourmalines are the next best thing to Paraiba. He also says it doesn’t have the “telltale” glow but it’s very very close.

Beautiful color...but, damn, that sticker shock! :shock:
I really love the color. It’s definitely not paraiba (as you mentioned) but it is one of my favorite tourmaline colors. That one from @Arcadian is very similar and is a bucket list color.

I’d love to know who the seller is, after you’ve decided what to do with this one. :D

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Umm wow, that is gorgeous! Paraiba or not, that is definitely a keeper but the price is steep. Swala gem traders had some beautiful tourmalines. I would check with them before agreeing to that price. Also John Dyer gems and Rioux rocks.

I assume it'll be hard to find anything in that size with that colour. But the price is definitely steep, so it would still be worth looking arround.

Edit, just to prove I shouldnt be allowed to shop for tourmalines (as I want them all!)
https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10431
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh9HugCBdAK/?hl=en (sold but may have similar rough as he cuts a lot of large tourmalines)
https://www.johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Tourmaline4496.html (too small, but may have other stones in inventory)

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is too beautiful to let it pass. I am a huge fan of @Arcadian ‘s stone and ring. But the pricing of this particular stone is quite steep indeed. Can you negotiate with this seller?

Compared to Afghan blue/green tourmaline, the price for Namibean is very very high.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is too beautiful to let it pass. I am a huge fan of @Arcadian ‘s stone and ring. But the pricing of this particular stone is quite steep indeed. Can you negotiate with this seller?

Compared to Afghan blue/green tourmaline, the price for Namibean is very very high.

@Acinom yes, he said he is negotiable but I don't know how much until we communicate when he gets back to the US this week. Do you have a suggestion as to what is a reasonable per carat offer? He knows that he has an extraordinary stone.

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oww, I hope the experts will chime in on this question as I do not have any knowledge about Namibean stones.

For the Afghans we paid about 400-500$ per carat in 2014.

This stone is indeed extraordinary, but not sure how to translate that into dollars. My faceted glowy tourmaline was about the same per carat as your stone.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oww, I hope the experts will chime in on this question as I do not have any knowledge about Namibean stones.

For the Afghans we paid about 400-500$ per carat in 2014.

This stone is indeed extraordinary, but not sure how to translate that into dollars. My faceted glowy tourmaline was about the same per carat as your stone.

@Acinom are you saying your glowy tourmaline was the same price as this particular one is?
Would you please link your stone you are referring to?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oww, I miscalculated, I’m sorry. The stone was a whopping 4300 $ per carat via Perry/ Leon.?Can’t believe I splurged that amount. We had a very good dollar to euro conversion back then.

Not sure if we can compare the stones. Well mine is very glowy, it is also included and windowed.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That seems high to me, but you're also looking at an open blue with some serious size and a very good cut (looks precision). the entire package can be hard to find, and larger sizes always command more per/ct. Also too, the vividness of the stone...really hard to beat as a non cuprian.

Def negotiate downward on this if the seller is open to it. If location is something you absolutely must have, then make this also a condition of sale. AGL can do that report, I just don't remember how much it is.

The size on mine is a mere 2.34ct which I thought was pretty darn pricey at the time. (if it helps my stone was squeaking just under the 2K mark minus shipping) This was 8 years ago, so there have been numerous price hikes for the finer material.

BTW I wanted paraiba, but I looked at price I wanted to spend versus the material available (and what I personally wanted) and it just about made me sick. I at least have my big violet one. Def. not perfect with its big ol window but the color is just beautiful. I really love my uncooked curprian.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That seems high to me, but you're also looking at an open blue with some serious size and a very good cut (looks precision). the entire package can be hard to find, and larger sizes always command more per/ct. Also too, the vividness of the stone...really hard to beat as a non cuprian.

Def negotiate downward on this if the seller is open to it. If location is something you absolutely must have, then make this also a condition of sale. AGL can do that report, I just don't remember how much it is.

The size on mine is a mere 2.34ct which I thought was pretty darn pricey at the time. (if it helps my stone was squeaking just under the 2K mark minus shipping) This was 8 years ago, so there have been numerous price hikes for the finer material.

BTW I wanted paraiba, but I looked at price I wanted to spend versus the material available (and what I personally wanted) and it just about made me sick. I at least have my big violet one. Def. not perfect with its big ol window but the color is just beautiful. I really love my uncooked curprian.

@Arcadian apparently this seller does not deal in quantity but rather of quality stones. He had a lighter greenish-blue almost exactly like this one that sold, he tells me this one is the better of the 2 due to more vividly saturation and color.

It doesn't come with an AGL or GIA report but he is willing to send it for one only after I purchase...and he has a no return policy after he has sent photos, videos and an agreed upon price. Will the labs know for sure that it comes from Namibia?

That's a bit scary but I bought my red Mahenge spinel without a certificate under the same terms but it was from a trusted reputable vendor plus I had it vetted by Jeff White so I felt comfortable.
I am just not sure what to offer but I'm one to always start on the lower end and come up.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom, I thought that your stone was a Paraiba, the color looks identical on my monitor! I enjoy seeing it every time you post pictures :)
Thank you!! It’s indeed a Paraiba.
I also have a large blue green Afghan tourmaline

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! It’s indeed a Paraiba.
I also have a large blue green Afghan tourmaline

That makes more sense, I got lost in the conversation between different types of tourmaline, lol!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian apparently this seller does not deal in quantity but rather of quality stones. He had a lighter greenish-blue almost exactly like this one that sold, he tells me this one is the better of the 2 due to more vividly saturation and color.

It doesn't come with an AGL or GIA report but he is willing to send it for one only after I purchase...and he has a no return policy after he has sent photos, videos and an agreed upon price. Will the labs know for sure that it comes from Namibia?

That's a bit scary but I bought my red Mahenge spinel without a certificate under the same terms but it was from a trusted reputable vendor plus I had it vetted by Jeff White so I felt comfortable.
I am just not sure what to offer but I'm one to always start on the lower end and come up.

I dont know who you are dealing with but that sounds dodgy. What if it doesnt look exactly like the pictures? The price is sky high, so if it isnt exactly as portrayed then it is a really poor buy.

Also this isnt a commision cut. These are not whole sale or trade prices -- they are the top end of the consumer prices. So he is not risking anything in this transaction. It seems strange that he wont let you see it before indeliably commiting. It would also be off putting if the sale wasnt contingent on the AGL prestige report saying it was exactly as he described.

Since you are willing to pay top dollar have you considered nomads, and ivy new york?

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if it weren't a final sale, I think it takes an unconscionable amount of chutzpah to offer a stone priced at $2700+ per carat without an independent lab report. Why should you have to bear the expense of getting a lab report, so you can insure it -- and be assured of what you've shelled out big bucks for?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO that's a lot to pay for a non copper bearing tourmaline regardless of colour. Places like Wilds and some of the big International gem dealers eg, Yavorskyy look up Ivynewyork, always have nice paraiba, but you will have to be prepared to pay for it.

https://www.paulwild.com/

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No returns, huh? So you can't see it in person, and you only have his photos, and no report. Well, are you buying the color or the location? It's a chunk of change to spend on the unknown. Can you FaceTime and see it? It is beautiful, but lighting is such a tricky witch. I recently received a ring from Yvonne with teensy weensy Paraiba centers. Oh, how they glow! I did a double-take!

Anyhow, given the strict policy, you need to "feel the love" and be certain of why you are buying it, in case it's from Alaska or something. (That was a joke, people.)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree. No report and no returns? Helllll no. That's an insane policy for such an expensive stone. Fwiw I won't buy any stone that doesn't have a return policy (with the exception of an eBay bid under $50).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results