shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding a Paraiba or Copper bearing Tourmaline

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will agree with everyone else. No returns, no sale. Thats too much of a risk with that type of money.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oww, I miscalculated, I’m sorry. The stone was a whopping 4300 $ per carat via Perry/ Leon.?Can’t believe I splurged that amount. We had a very good dollar to euro conversion back then.

Not sure if we can compare the stones. Well mine is very glowy, it is also included and windowed.

@Acinom, I've been looking at different gem dealers who carry true Brazilian Paraiba and the price you paid is very good in today's market!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just going to post that. It's incredible.
Hi -
Did you look at this one? It seems like a very good buy and surprised it's still there. I would ask to see what it look like indoors.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/big-paraiba-cab

Thanks ladies!
I actually did inquire on this stone, she sent additional photos and a video. I ended up passing because it didn’t check all of my wants. I honestly would like a bit larger with a bit more blue.

I know it’s now sold.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Mil

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Whoops...
Great thread and excellent replies by everyone

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D91F31BA-D7A3-49B7-A809-596F6D48474F.jpeg 3BB50E6E-6529-4241-84C3-B1727A286C61.jpeg

I would like opinions please, some of you may recognize the gems. They are advertised as Paraibas from Brazil, seller guarantees this and will refund for any reason. They don’t come with reports but can be gotten if one wants.
She also advertises as heated and oil because they are stored in oil before cutting hense some remains and she says oil is also used when cutting them.

I’ve ruled out the large pear but it helps for comparison sake although I’ve decided I do want a cabochon.
Smaller oval is 3.61ct 11.20 x 8.10 x 4.88
Cushion is 5.52ct 13 x 9 x 5.35.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the brighter one (the smaller of the two).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour of the smaller oval is beautiful and seems to have a nice glow.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would still be uncomfortable about the oil, it can dry up over time causing the appearence of the stone to change. Ofcourse if it was super glowy, and there was nothing else available I might go with it anyway. But for me the oil would be a problem.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D91F31BA-D7A3-49B7-A809-596F6D48474F.jpeg 3BB50E6E-6529-4241-84C3-B1727A286C61.jpeg

I would like opinions please, some of you may recognize the gems. They are advertised as Paraibas from Brazil, seller guarantees this and will refund for any reason. They don’t come with reports but can be gotten if one wants.
She also advertises as heated and oil because they are stored in oil before cutting hense some remains and she says oil is also used when cutting them.

I’ve ruled out the large pear but it helps for comparison sake although I’ve decided I do want a cabochon.
Smaller oval is 3.61ct 11.20 x 8.10 x 4.88
Cushion is 5.52ct 13 x 9 x 5.35.

I prefer the smaller oval. It seems to be brighter and have some glow. ;)2

I like both the settings you shared but I have a sweet spot for that one with the mermaid tail as the shank. :kiss2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of them. They have the colour but not the glow. They are dunked in oil to hide inclusions. The way the vendor described it sounds very similar to the routine dunking of emeralds in oil before faceting.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pass on these, unless your goal is to get the Brazilian origin. I have not been impressed with the quality of the majority of cuprian/Paraiba tourmalines from Brazil available here and elsewhere in the last few years. While some have some measure of glow, they are so included and do not have the intensity of Paraibas from 10 years ago. If I were you, I would look for the highest quality copper bearing tourmalines you can find from other locales, like Mozambique or Nigeria, since there are still high quality examples of these around. While expensive, they still don't have the ridiculous added premium of the Brazilian origin.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pass on these, unless your goal is to get the Brazilian origin. I have not been impressed with the quality of the majority of cuprian/Paraiba tourmalines from Brazil available here and elsewhere in the last few years. While some have some measure of glow, they are so included and do not have the intensity of Paraibas from 10 years ago. If I were you, I would look for the highest quality copper bearing tourmalines you can find from other locales, like Mozambique or Nigeria, since there are still high quality examples of these around. While expensive, they still don't have the ridiculous added premium of the Brazilian origin.

I’d love to see some examples if you know of some for sale. :twisted2:

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm curious, after reading through the thread, if you're more interested in the Paraiba origin (Brazilian or Mozambique) and glow or a super nice, high-quality blue-green tourmaline? If it's the former, I'd contact Adam from PI and wait. It'll be worth it. Otherwise, I'm sure many of us would be happy to hunt down the latter for you. :)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious, after reading through the thread, if you're more interested in the Paraiba origin (Brazilian or Mozambique) and glow or a super nice, high-quality blue-green tourmaline? If it's the former, I'd contact Adam from PI and wait. It'll be worth it. Otherwise, I'm sure many of us would be happy to hunt down the latter for you. :)

Thanks @SparkliesLuver
I don’t have to have Brazilian, preference for a beautiful color and glow. I’ve contacted Adam and the only one he has at this time is quite more than I wish to spend but I’ll have in be on the hunt for me.

I’d appreciate all efforts of anyone willing to hunt and post here!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd reach out to Jochen then. He always has inventory - faceted and cab. I'd venture to say he has more African material now than Brazilian, and I don't think he owns a piece that doesn't glow. haha

Awesome! I'll let you know if I find anything besides the stone from Brume. By the way, he just posted a video of it with another (more green) tourmaline.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results