shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally bought the diamond! Who should set it?

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
So first off thank you to everyone that has helped me through this journey. It has been stressful but I finally pulled the trigger on a .95 G BGD signature hearts and arrows diamond, it arrives on Monday. So I guess my next question is, who should set the diamond, The diamond vendor or the ring vendor? The setting is purchased from Robbins Brothers and they told me they could set it at additional cost to me, though I doubt they would take on any liability since it is not their stone. Should I get it insured through Jewelers mutual before anyone sets it? Do I reach out to BGD and see what they would charge me to set it? I just want to do this right. I would hate to have come all this way and drop the ball at the goal line. As always, your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have BG set it.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would reach out to BGD and let them know that you have a setting already and ask how much it would be to set the diamond you purchased from them. Since you will receive the diamond in hand on Monday, you could also ask Robbins Brothers how much to set too and go from there. If you decide to have BGD Mount it, then ask them if they would send you a prepaid insured label to ship the diamond and semi mount back to them. You may need to be clear on the terms if the diamond is insured by them while setting and the cost of the prepaid label.

If you decide to have Robbin Brothers to set ask if the diamond is in their possession if it will be insured while at their possession.
-C4C

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely have BGD set it. They will do it without a problem and the stone will be insured while in their possession.

Why didn’t you just send the setting to them to set it before shipping?

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
I would reach out to BGD and let them know that you have a setting already and ask how much it would be to set the diamond you purchased from them. Since you will receive the diamond in hand on Monday, you could also ask Robbins Brothers how much to set too and go from there. If you decide to have BGD Mount it, then ask them if they would send you a prepaid insured label to ship the diamond and semi mount back to them. You may need to be clear on the terms if the diamond is insured by them while setting and the cost of the prepaid label.

If you decide to have Robbin Brothers to set ask if the diamond is in their possession if it will be insured while at their possession.
-C4C

yea it will probably cost a little more with shipping and everything but I think BGD is the way to go.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Definitely have BGD set it. They will do it without a problem and the stone will be insured while in their possession.

Why didn’t you just send the setting to them to set it before shipping?

Well part of me wants to see the stone before it is set just to triple check and make sure it is eye clean. Additionally, the setting is a special order and I had to wait to get the specs of the diamond so they can make it to the correct size.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Great...Can’t wait to see pictures and hear your what you think about the .95 G.
Yes, from what I understand Jewelers mutual will allow you to insure the diamond and setting before it’s set. I would absolutely do that.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great...Can’t wait to see pictures and hear your what you think about the .95 G.
Yes, from what I understand Jewelers mutual will allow you to insure the diamond and setting before it’s set. I would absolutely do that.
It used to be that Jewelers Mutual would typically insure a loose stone for only 30 days from purchase. Please do seek clarification from JM about this, @Reneli , as I think it's quite possible that more than 30 days will elapse before the ring, with diamond mounted, is ready for you.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So my input is this...
While I can understand you want to inspect the stone, I think you should feel really secure about a BGD stone. Also, if they told you it is eye clean I would take them on their word. Can you post anything on the stone so we can see your concern?
Also, I would a million percent have BGD set it, irregardless of the cost. I would in no way whatsoever allow RB to get their hands on your BGD.
No matter any additional fee for BG to set, you just paid a huge premium for a super ideal... don’t be pound wise and penny foolish at this point!
Can you post a photo of the mounting?
Excited for you!

Reneli

Shiny_Rock

it looks that way, even on my receipt for BGD their is a link to JW to start a quote. Defiantly gonna verify though! I can’t wait to see it either! I will defiantly post pictures.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
It used to be that Jewelers Mutual would typically insure a loose stone for only 30 days from purchase. Please do seek clarification from JM about this, @Reneli , as I think it's quite possible that more than 30 days will elapse before the ring, with diamond mounted, is ready for you.

thank you for the heads up I will be looking into this first thing tomorrow

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
So my input is this...
While I can understand you want to inspect the stone, I think you should feel really secure about a BGD stone. Also, if they told you it is eye clean I would take them on their word. Can you post anything on the stone so we can see your concern?
Also, I would a million percent have BGD set it, irregardless of the cost. I would in no way whatsoever allow RB to get their hands on your BGD.
No matter any additional fee for BG to set, you just paid a huge premium for a super ideal... don’t be pound wise and penny foolish at this point!
Excited for you!

Its not that I don’t trust bgd or their assessment it’s just this my first time buying a diamond online and I wanted the opportunity to get eyes on it within the return period. I verified with bgd and they said it’s very eye clean and even looking at it up close they could not see anything, the person I was working with said it’s a high end si1 and should have probably been a vs2. The main thing is the setting is still coming from Robbins bro’s and is being special ordered. You are right though! I feel more comfortable sending the ring to bgd when I receive it in 4-6 weeks.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
So my input is this...
Excited for you!

Here is a picture of the setting:razz: she had her heart set on this ring which is one of the reason I stuck with Robbins Brothers for the setting purchase. 2CC5B582-54F1-4E13-8423-1D3F2928FCC8.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down, I'd have BGD set the stone.

I can understand wanting to inspect the stone loose. Especially if you are concerned with it being eye clean. Its wise to remember "eye clean" isn't a universal definition. Each vendor can have their own version, although most the vendors like BGD, WF, HPD, etc tend to be similar.

Here is a screen cap of BGD's policy. I might add a few BGD blogs expand this with a key term that the inclusions are "readily and immediately available", which I interpret to mean a fairly quick review but not one that is scrutinized.

The blogs are from 2014 and 2016, so may outdated and irrelevant. Either way, doubtful you will have any issues. I bought my wife's stone there and found BGD to be pretty wonderful to work with and very trustworthy.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/are-si-1-clarity-diamonds-eye-clean/

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/bgd-signature-diamonds-eye-clean-bottom-diamond/

Screenshot_20190930-005343_Chrome.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Reneli don’t let anyone talk you out of seeing the stone before it’s set. There are several of us on the board that have recently upgraded our current super ideal with another super ideal. Even knowing what we do about diamonds and angles, some of us still insist on seeing the new diamond before we make a commitment. This is a big purchase and she will be staring at it every day of the rest of her life. Do whatever you need to do in order to make sure you are comfortable with it.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Hands down, I'd have BGD set the stone.

I can understand wanting to inspect the stone loose. Especially if you are concerned with it being eye clean. Its wise to remember "eye clean" isn't a universal definition. Each vendor can have their own version, although most the vendors like BGD, WF, HPD, etc tend to be similar.

Here is a screen cap of BGD's policy. I might add a few BGD blogs expand this with a key term that the inclusions are "readily and immediately available", which I interpret to mean a fairly quick review but not one that is scrutinized.

The blogs are from 2014 and 2016, so may outdated and irrelevant. Either way, doubtful you will have any issues. I bought my wife's stone there and found BGD to be pretty wonderful to work with and very trustworthy.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/are-si-1-clarity-diamonds-eye-clean/

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/bgd-signature-diamonds-eye-clean-bottom-diamond/

Screenshot_20190930-005343_Chrome.jpg

Sledge! Well, I will find out soon enough. The diamond is already at FedEx, I am going to pick it up at my lunchtime. I hope it all works out :) As for the setting, it is kind of a pain that I will have to wait 4-6 weeks to receive the ring and then send it to BGD to set it. It will definitely push back the proposal time but Having BDG set it is worth it. I'm not going to lie, I am excited for my girl! She gets to rock a super ideal diamond, I am proud of that and thankful I was able to get this for her.:sun:

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
@Reneli don’t let anyone talk you out of seeing the stone before it’s set. There are several of us on the board that have recently upgraded our current super ideal with another super ideal. Even knowing what we do about diamonds and angles, some of us still insist on seeing the new diamond before we make a commitment. This is a big purchase and she will be staring at it every day of the rest of her life. Do whatever you need to do in order to make sure you are comfortable with it.

Thanks for the input Wewechew! Yea this being my first time buying a diamond period, I head to see it first. Shipping cost be damned! The question I have to ask BGD is if the shipping insurance is enough to cover both the diamond and the setting. Additionally, I know the diamond will be covered while they have possession of it, but what about the setting? I have some time to figure this all out so we will see what happens.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
The Diamond is a beauty!! I only glanced for a little while in my office, ill look more closely when I get home. I am afraid to touch it lol
Are loose diamonds easily scratched?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Diamond is a beauty!! I only glanced for a little while in my office, ill look more closely when I get home. I am afraid to touch it lol
Are loose diamonds easily scratched?
Not at all, except by other diamonds. You can't scratch them with your hand, or by putting them on a table to look at or photograph. Obviously dropping it could lead to chipping so be very careful about that!

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Not at all, except by other diamonds. You can't scratch them with your hand, or by putting them on a table to look at or photograph. Obviously dropping it could lead to chipping so be very careful about that!

Good to know! they also gave me this little cloth. after I handle the diamond should I wipe down the diamond to remove fingerprint smudges. Sorry if this sound so basic, after I inspect it tonight I intend to put it away until it gets set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results