shape
carat
color
clarity

Final Decision (purchasing tomorrow)

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There are so many different directions you can go from here. You can use the $2000 and purchase something within your budget and upgrade it later. Not as many options as JA but there is Blue Nile and they have better financing options and an upgrade program, as well. Lastly, you can do a bank card like many have suggested. Remember, whichever card you get, it’s still credit and is going to be on your report. Some may be easier to get than others. With student loans, that is most likely why he wasn’t approved. It isn’t that he doesn’t have excellent credit but because he already has a lot of debt with the loans and they are in larger amounts. Maybe a cushion in a solitaire and then you can upgrade the setting and/or diamond, as well, when more credit is available.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's a thought...maybe finance it through Paypal? You can either get a card through them or use a credit card to pay for the item through Paypal. I've done both methods (albeit, not on jewelry).

And no worries about the pre-owned. Just brainstorming alternative solutions!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist he was going to do the 24 month payment option. The crazy thing was that in the application there were things saying he had loans he didn’t have, and one of them he does for student loans but his company wasn’t listed in the choices. He has a good score, he’s had lines of credit and still does - we checked his report and nothing is showing that would lead us to think someone’s used his name.

I know him though, and I know that JA is out of the question for him now. I tried to explain to him how it sucks for me because now other rings don’t really compare, and I feel like I’ve done all this research for nothing lol. I was like “I even joined a website specifically to get more info about all of this!”

Even IF, and that is a huge if, he considered them still, the diamond options I had are not on hold. 7-10 days is a while to hear from them through the mail, I’ve seen diamonds before that I like go in a days time.

The thing about loans your SO didn't have is concerning, he may want to check his credit reports with all 3 bureaus, sometimes the creditors mix up people's accounts and then of course you get stuck having to clear it up. I've had it happen to me and it took a few months to get it sorted. Sorry and hope it's just a simple, easily rectified mistake.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results