color
clarity

Favorite tea?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1417982913|3797319 said:
dk168|1417982485|3797316 said:
I also like Japanese tea with toasted rice as it has a nice nutty flavour.

DK :))
Genmaicha?

I don't know the name of the tea, however, I recognise it according to its packaging and contents.

Just Google'd "Gemnaicha" and that's the one!

DK :oops:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use an immerser and I drink Assam tea all day. love it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1417983215|3797320 said:
Chrono|1417982913|3797319 said:
dk168|1417982485|3797316 said:
I also like Japanese tea with toasted rice as it has a nice nutty flavour.

DK :))
Genmaicha?

I don't know the name of the tea, however, I recognise it according to its packaging and contents.

Just Google'd "Gemnaicha" and that's the one!

DK :oops:

I love this too. I never remember to buy more when I am at the tea shop and I've been out for a while. Might be time to mail order more tea! :devil: :devil:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love tea! Always have.
People come over and I offer them tea. I've had people accept so long as I had something herbal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Um.... One of our cupboards is stuffed with tea and it has spilled over into the cupboard next to it. No one ever asks if I have an herbal tea a second time! (it always becomes something like "What kinds of lemon tea do you have?")

Current favorites (I've got more out there, but these are what I'm enjoying most recently):

misc loose leaf (from a couple of Persian markets plus special order loose leaf): black tea with cardamom, chai, green tea with pear, Moroccan mint, lemon verbena, Ceylon, multiple oolongs, gunpowder mint green, Darjeeling, green tea with pomegranate, white tea with peach, Sadaf special blend with Earl grey, jasmine, barooti assam, earl grey, English tea #1, English breakfast, an Indian blend (can't remember what it is called)

Harney Brothers: dragon pearl jasmine, hot cinnamon spice, midnight summer peach, mint, citron green, pomegranate oolong

Celestial Seasonings: cinnamon apple spice, country peach passion, Bengal spice, cranberry apple zinger, lemon zinger, mandarin orange spice, raspberry zinger, red zinger, sleepy time, wild berry zinger,

Bigelow: Constant Comment, perfect peach, lemon lift, I love lemon, cranberry hibiscus, pomegranate pizzazz, orange & spice, red raspberry, sweet dreams, raspberry royale

Stash: orange spice, Earl grey, cranberry pomegranate, meyer lemon, wild raspberry hibiscus, peach black, Moroccan mint, mojito mint, ruby mist

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yssie! I need to check out the cast iron teapot! I love the idea of it keeping warm for an hour! Thanks!

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
GYPSY - Thanks for all the links! I am going to check those out today. I have a (large) drawer dedicated to my teas. There isn't an inch of space yet so I told my husband I was going to commandeer part of his wine cabinet. Ha!

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
CKRICKETT - Love it! I really want to try Jasmine Pearl next!

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1417977631|3797284 said:
HI:

Anyone use a French press for tea?

I also love Mighty Leaf teas. We drink lots-o-tea 'round here.

cheers--Sharon
I do! I have two - one I got from Starbucks and one I ordered from Stash Tea! Works great!

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
TooPatient|1418017462|3797541 said:
I love tea! Always have.
People come over and I offer them tea. I've had people accept so long as I had something herbal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Um.... One of our cupboards is stuffed with tea and it has spilled over into the cupboard next to it. No one ever asks if I have an herbal tea a second time! (it always becomes something like "What kinds of lemon tea do you have?")

Current favorites (I've got more out there, but these are what I'm enjoying most recently):

misc loose leaf (from a couple of Persian markets plus special order loose leaf): black tea with cardamom, chai, green tea with pear, Moroccan mint, lemon verbena, Ceylon, multiple oolongs, gunpowder mint green, Darjeeling, green tea with pomegranate, white tea with peach, Sadaf special blend with Earl grey, jasmine, barooti assam, earl grey, English tea #1, English breakfast, an Indian blend (can't remember what it is called)

Harney Brothers: dragon pearl jasmine, hot cinnamon spice, midnight summer peach, mint, citron green, pomegranate oolong

Celestial Seasonings: cinnamon apple spice, country peach passion, Bengal spice, cranberry apple zinger, lemon zinger, mandarin orange spice, raspberry zinger, red zinger, sleepy time, wild berry zinger,

Bigelow: Constant Comment, perfect peach, lemon lift, I love lemon, cranberry hibiscus, pomegranate pizzazz, orange & spice, red raspberry, sweet dreams, raspberry royale

Stash: orange spice, Earl grey, cranberry pomegranate, meyer lemon, wild raspberry hibiscus, peach black, Moroccan mint, mojito mint, ruby mist

Oooh, lots of good ones here too! If you like Celestial Seasonings and ever get sinus issues, try their Sinus Soother wellness tea. I drink it at night (it might be Throat Tamer that I currently use) and it really works!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stash Moroccan Mint gave me a caffeine overdose once. You see, it was very, very hot, I was working in a studio with a metal roof and there was a tea station, with plenty of tea and ice. I was drinking iced mint tea by the liter. I just overlooked the fact that it was Moroccan Mint green tea. That night, I was way hyper, had the jitters and just couldn't sleep. It was a long, productive night, at least as long as I didn't try anything requiring very fine control.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
My two favorite teas come from a local tea house and are Vanilla Cookie {I have a pot full every morning with my morning papers} and Royal Marzipan in the evening while I'm doing my computer scanning/posting. Both have really rich flavor. Twice a year I buy about six bags of Vanilla and three bags of Marzipan to keep in stock so I don't run out {and they are not cheap, $11.95 for 4 ounces}.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I like herbal teas such as rooibos and chamomile. Since they do not contain caffeine, they really help me get better sleep, and I drink them every night! A lot of people don't realize the health benefits of rooibos either, super duper anti oxidants, hundreds of times higher than green tea. I can honestly say I don't really get colds at all, and never got a flu shot in my life!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My very favorite is whatever the iced tea is that Prince Lebanese Grill in Arlington, Texas, serves. OMG it's heaven. It's laced with cinnamon and I seriously could guzzle gallons of it. I crave it. The closest I have come to replicating it at home is half Luzianne decaf and half "Get Lost" by republic of tea. Now I am dying to make some at home...

I like weak iced tea usually, and love Republic of Tea decaf blackberry sage, decaf ginger peach, decaf apricot, kiwi pear green tea,

I have tried their Red Velvet Chocolate teabags as well, as hot tea and they were tasty also.

When I am ill I like the Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Vanilla too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
there, but these are what I'm enjoying most recently):

misc loose leaf (from a couple of Persian markets plus special order loose leaf)

Are you Persian, TP?

I am.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1418065241|3797762 said:
My very favorite is whatever the iced tea is that Prince Lebanese Grill in Arlington, Texas, serves. OMG it's heaven. It's laced with cinnamon and I seriously could guzzle gallons of it. I crave it. The closest I have come to replicating it at home is half Luzianne decaf and half "Get Lost" by republic of tea. Now I am dying to make some at home...

I like weak iced tea usually, and love Republic of Tea decaf blackberry sage, decaf ginger peach, decaf apricot, kiwi pear green tea,

I have tried their Red Velvet Chocolate teabags as well, as hot tea and they were tasty also.

We are supposed to be having a Nor'Easter tomorrow, but you have put me on the hunt for this tea. It sounds like something I absolutely MUST have ASAP.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Macha!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I love tea!

Any herbal tea by Celestial seasonings
Yamamotoyama brand green tea and genmai cha - lovely and very low in tannins
Tetley black tea, Tetley chai, Red rose black tea
Assam tea (don't have a favorite brand yet)
Pu Erh tea when I'm having dim sum

I'm not a fan of teas that require fancy extras to make them taste good (sorry David's Tea). I think it's a marketing gimmick for all the floor sweepings left after all the good teas have been properly blended.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1418073920|3797876 said:

misc loose leaf (from a couple of Persian markets plus special order loose leaf)

Are you Persian, TP?

I am.

Nope. Just love the tea and the spices and the music and the cooking :))

I can spend hours wandering around a good Persian market. Our favorite closed up, but there is a new one that is pretty great. Enjoyed smelling the big baskets of tea and chatting with the owner's son about the different blends they had out last time I was in. I'm still no good at making the crust on the rice dishes but I'm told by Persian friends that (other than that flaw) my cooking is pretty authentic!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare|1418087552|3797975 said:

We are supposed to be having a Nor'Easter tomorrow, but you have put me on the hunt for this tea. It sounds like something I absolutely MUST have ASAP.
I just get it at the grocery store in the tea section :)

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
My daily tea at home is Tea Sources spice or Reenas Chai or if I have to bag it, Bigelow lemon lift, constant comment or lately Good Earths sweet and spicy. I think I have told this story on another tea thread here but years ago watching a Martha Stewart episode about tea the expert on there said that bagged tea is mostly floor sweepings.... oh well, I still like it.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tazo Organic Vanilla Rooibos Parfait, and Twinings Earl Grey. Interesting about floor sweepings, that makes me sad!

DH and I appreciate a good cup of tea but haven't had a ton of luck finding ones we like for at home. This thread has been helpful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1418107179|3798103 said:

Are you Persian, TP?

I am.

I can spend hours wandering around a good Persian market. Our favorite closed up, but there is a new one that is pretty great. Enjoyed smelling the big baskets of tea and chatting with the owner's son about the different blends they had out last time I was in. I'm still no good at making the crust on the rice dishes but I'm told by Persian friends that (other than that flaw) my cooking is pretty authentic!

Well, growing up with too much rice, I dislike it. And DH isn't a fan either. So.. I can cook just about everything else. But I never make rice (though I can when I have to).

If you need any recipes or recommendations let me know.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1418197230|3798777 said:
TooPatient|1418107179|3798103 said:

Are you Persian, TP?

I am.

Well, growing up with too much rice, I dislike it. And DH isn't a fan either. So.. I can cook just about everything else. But I never make rice (though I can when I have to).

If you need any recipes or recommendations let me know.

Thanks!

I'm trying to cut back on the rice so it is less a big part of meals now. I try to keep it more of a side dish and a way to carry extra veggies (shredded carrots, lots of peas, lima beans, etc). That is one of the challenges with the Persian cookbooks we have -- so much rice!

What sort of recipes do you like to use dried limes? I've got a big bag (actually two since I forgot I had already purchased one!) in the cupboard and only have a couple of recipes (both ghormeh sabzi) that call for them.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a tea drinker. I have cycled through chai (first powdered then bagged version) teas, earl gray, and roobios kicks.
Right now I really like basic strong black teas that have some earthy, smoky, or rich body to them, British breakfast tea (my standby is twinings or bigelow english breakfast) but I really like assam and oolong teas. Standard green tea right now
is bigelow green tea classic (not bitter as some are). A variety of herbal including ones with blackberry.

I have tried better teas than these in particular Chinese teas that were fantastic, but the one time I went into a Chinese tea store I was overwhelmed by the choices, the labels were in Chinese and the lady had limited English so I walked out without anything : (.
I'm also a bit of a cheapskate, so while I enjoy good tea I do not like paying for it. But I have a good infuser for when I do.
typically I have my tea plain, but do like something to eat with it, like a windmill cookie or some other treat.

Thank you for your ideas. Intruiged by
Yamamotoyama brand green tea
lapsang souchang, genmaicha (thanks yssie)
monkeypod oolong, and the pu-erh black tea. Love the idea of a marzipan flavored tea if i could find that! so I need to bookmark this thread!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Indonesian auntie used to tell me that the tea in bags was waste tea too... but I think that's largely myth, at least the floor sweepings part, and as far as the mass marketed teas are concerned. Let's face it, there wouldn't be enough floor sweepings to supply the Liptons and Bigelows of the world! But it is likely that they use a lesser grade of tea in bags because no one is going to see the leaves, just as most of the apples used to make applesauce probably wouldn't sell if marketed as whole fruit. But - there have been concerns raised about the materials used to make tea bags, from the paper and glues used in regular bags to the "silk" used in fancier bags, which is in many cases actually a plastic.

One of the nice things about the Jasmine Downy Pearls tea is that it actually uses whole young leaves of the tea plant, an they're heavy enough that they stay in the bottom of the cup or pot when you brew the tea, so you can actually make and drink it without an infuser if you don't have one handy.

(BTW I do also drink a lot of pre-bagged tea! :wink2: )

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have also heard that multiple times, that bagged tea uses the "fannings" the broken leaves and even dust of tea leaves. I used to buy the Whole foods green tea but the quality went down and the bags were basically full of dust, so I switched brands. But I know they are not the best quality out there. My BIL works for Intelligenstia and sent me some very nice tea (loose) and I enjoyed that while it lasted.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Fellow tea lovers, while we are on the topic....how do I remove the rings left on the inside of a teacup? When it's been sitting a while?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1418252125|3799111 said:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/heloise/remove-tea-stain-mar03

I haven't tried this but I always go first to Heloise!

Thanks! I love rooibos, and they leave awful stains. I always have a mug sitting on my nightstand overnight, so washing right away is not always possible.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1418135390|3798221 said:
Amber St. Clare|1418087552|3797975 said:

I just get it at the grocery store in the tea section :)

Found it today {in the middle of a snow squall} came home and had a lovely hot mug full. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results