shape
carat
color
clarity

Fave Nail Polishes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
oooh, Mara I like the Espresso!! I find that the OPI dark colors are easier to put on since the brush is designed to coat the nail better - I have a hard time with Essie darks since the brush is tinier. Maybe its just me...

I am going to try Talk of the Town Brown - maybe I will post pics later on.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Admittedly I am on only person in the unvierse who is not a polish fan--but I went "out on a limb" and bought a caramel color to match my D & G brownish tweed dress I wore out on Sat night, and it looked nice. Wow--big step for me!
2.gif
My DH even noticed....... While I enjoy looking at, and contemplating buying, the very pale hues posted on this thread, those darks are just not for me.

cheers--Sharon

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
So I don''t wear a lot of dark colours, mainly pale pinks and silvery colours. One of the reasons I don''t wear a lot of dark colours is that it is so obvious when you get a chip. I am wearing the OPI "Smokin n Havana" (really like the colour and I am ssssooooo not a pink person, it''s very dark pink orange) and I am not having chipping problems at the moment, better top coat I guess, but I am having problems with wear.

The polish has worn away from the very top edge of the nail, so there is a tiny, thin white line of nail at the very end of the free edge. Any tips from you ladies who wear a lot of dark colours on how to fix this? I realise that if I were a princess and could do nothing with my hands, this would not happen, but is there a good way to apply polish without it messing up the whole nail or looking very obvious?? Maybe having a brush with just a *tiny* bit of polish on it?

Really like the Espresson Your Way! Grreat colour and nice and glittery/ shimmery!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Bridget, when I polish my nails a go across the tip of the nail first, then do the surface. I do the same thing with the top coat, and I refresh the top coat every other day or so. Seems to slow down the wearing away of the tips.

Hlmr, I don''t have Wicked (yet
2.gif
), but Espresso is very dark. People kept asking me "is that BLACK?", and my husband asked if they were my Halloween nails.
20.gif

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Christa! I will try it next time!

I wish you well,

Bridget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, so I finally got around to placing my order today. I ordered a few for myself and went ahead and ordered a few for stocking stuffers for my sister and my step daughter. I can''t wait to get them. I''m going to chicago next weekend and am getting a mani before my trip. Trying to decide which color to go for.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2006 12:49:09 PM
Author: Christa
Bridget, when I polish my nails a go across the tip of the nail first, then do the surface. I do the same thing with the top coat, and I refresh the top coat every other day or so. Seems to slow down the wearing away of the tips.

Hlmr, I don't have Wicked (yet
2.gif
), but Espresso is very dark. People kept asking me 'is that BLACK?', and my husband asked if they were my Halloween nails.
20.gif
Thanks for the feedback on espresso Christa! It sounds like it would be too dark for me. Those are great tips re: keeping the polish looking fresh, longer.

That's too funny about your DH commenting about Halloween nails! Mine said the same thing and my polish wasn't even near that dark! But, definitely darker than he is used to me wearing!
2.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Mara I remembered what you said about I''m not really a waitress and I saw it on Sat. in the salon. It is really nice. I may have to pick up a bottle of it.
My favorite Opi right now is Bogota Blackberry. It''s a shimmery maroon, someone mentioned it before on this thread. It is very pretty and not too too dark (but it is dark.)
That espresso your style looks like something I would like. I have to go towards the warm tones and not cool tones becasuse of my skin coloring (slight olive tone). Cool colors look horrible on me.
I have the chipping problem as well although I''m using a base and a top coat. It''s so frustrating because it really does shorten the length of my manicure with the dark polish since the chips are so blatantly obvious. I''m lucky if I get three days out of my polish before I take it off.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I put Wicked on my toes and like it. Vamp is back but sold out all over. The two that I am loving right now are Nars Chinatown and Jungle Red. JR is a truer red and Chinatown has a bit of the black/brown/red/burgundy look to it...I ordered them on the Nars site and cannot wait, since the department stores near me are all sold out...still worried about dark on hands. You MUST dry carefully, I love the uv light and fan at the salon and use Qtica 1/2 time drying drops. I would likely wear the red for the evening and then go back to the light neutral quickly, nothing uglier than chipped dark nails. OPI also makes another pretty dark red, something like "I''ve got the blues for a red"...dark and rich, non metallic, but very nice too...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, my Lippman Prelude to a Kiss which I LOVE as a neutral is thick after using it THREE times, cannot recall where I got it but I just ordered another bottle because I really love the tone on my skin...bummer, but what can you do...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 5:51:04 PM
Author: diamondsrock
Mara I remembered what you said about I''m not really a waitress and I saw it on Sat. in the salon. It is really nice. I may have to pick up a bottle of it.
My favorite Opi right now is Bogota Blackberry. It''s a shimmery maroon, someone mentioned it before on this thread. It is very pretty and not too too dark (but it is dark.)
That espresso your style looks like something I would like. I have to go towards the warm tones and not cool tones becasuse of my skin coloring (slight olive tone). Cool colors look horrible on me.
I have the chipping problem as well although I''m using a base and a top coat. It''s so frustrating because it really does shorten the length of my manicure with the dark polish since the chips are so blatantly obvious. I''m lucky if I get three days out of my polish before I take it off.
Hmm, I have Bogota Blackberry on the way (a swap on Makeupalley), and now I''m wondering if I''m going to like it. I lean toward cooler colors and I thought it was a cool-ish berry color. Oh well, I swapped it for something I wasn''t using anyway, and I guess I can swap again if I don''t like it.

I''m in the middle of a Wicked mani right now--kind of hard to tell how I''m going to like it because I just have one coat on so far and the light isn''t that great at night. I''m curious to see how it looks in the daylight with my pale skin.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I just un-earthed a bottle of Vamp from last year and compared it on my toes with Wicked. Believe it or not, I actually like Wicked better.

I''m going to the Ballet on Saturday and wearing a very simple red cocktail dress. Would Wicked look okay with a nice red dress? I''m not sure I want to do red polish, because that would be red over-kill. Any suggestions?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
giada i think wicked would be fab with a red dress!! it would keep it from being ''too much red'' and pretty hip!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Talk of the Town Brown - OPI. i put this on today - its a lot more browny that the bottle!! the bottle gives it a gold/shimmer/brown feel - still don''t know how i feel about it just yet
33.gif

tottb001.jpg

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
christa,
I think you''ll like the Bogota Blackberry. I can''t actually say for sure if it''s a warm color or a cool color but it does look really great on. It''s got a nice shimmer to it. I think it would look nice on just about any skin tone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my 8ty8 order came today, just placed the order monday afternoon. I can''t wait to try Wicked, it looks gorgeous in the bottle. I also ordered the Espresso OPI that I''m anxious to try. I never bought Madamoiselle so I purchased it along with a couple other of my favorites that I always get when getting a mani and never have the bottle to touch up. So glad to find that website since no one my area carries Essie and the local beauty supply didn''t have any of the newer OPI colors.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OK you enablers!!! My 8ty8 order came today, too. I got 4 light pink/neutrals and Big Bag Theory plus a bunch of tools, creams, etc. BB is a little orangey on me. Two coats looks pretty good, though. More nail polish is not something I need. Well, I followed Giada's french mani directions in the Shopping thread and painted away today.The only difference is that I painted the white first to I could *erase* any jagged edges. Then followed with Allure and finally Fed up. The tips are whiter than I usually go with, but, I like the combo anyway. Here's a pic. ETA: I guess I should say BIG pic of my dirty floor. Sorry shoulda cropped!

frenchmani2.JPG

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 6:32:37 PM
Author: diamondsrock
christa,
I think you''ll like the Bogota Blackberry. I can''t actually say for sure if it''s a warm color or a cool color but it does look really great on. It''s got a nice shimmer to it. I think it would look nice on just about any skin tone.
I''ll keep you posted when I get it. I can''t quite decide if my SKIN is warm or cool.
5.gif
I just know that orange/yellow tones don''t work.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda you have stunning nails...

Just got my Nars Jungle Red and Chinatown and they are GORGEOUS. I am definitely wearing them for evening now, I will have to get a new mani right after because I know the dark will not wear well on me...but for night it will look awesome.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Random question: once you get the nail polish on, how do you get it to STAY on?? Mine starts chipping and coming off within a day, which makes the entire effort pointless.

Marisa

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 10:06:46 PM
Author: poptart
Random question: once you get the nail polish on, how do you get it to STAY on?? Mine starts chipping and coming off within a day, which makes the entire effort pointless.

Marisa
Don''t do dishes or clean anything and you will get 2 days!! hehe No really, make sure there are no oils on your nails when you paint them. You might even go over them with rubbing alcohol or acetone before you polish. I''ve also found that one of the two sided buffers (not gritty AT ALL) helps, too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, so i''m on end of full day 3 with espresso on and i just have one small chip on my index finger! not bad...definitely holding up better than wicked so far in terms of longevity. i''m pretty hard on my hands too. so i can just touch up the index and hopefully it will 2 more days or so til friday when i can paint them on saturday again.

miranda, your french looks great!! i do a pretty good job on french myself but it can be tedious at times. good job and love the colors on your skin, and the white pops just enough but not too much.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 10:06:46 PM
Author: poptart

Marisa
Like Miranda said, make sure there''s absolutely no oil on your nails before you start--I shouldn''t admit this, but after I file and do my cuticles I usually wash with a tiny bit of dish soap to get them completely clean.
14.gif
Then once they''re completely dry: base coat (it''s a must), a couple coats of good quality polish (cheap polish is so not worth it, and I''m a major cheapskate), and a good top coat. Then re-do the top coat often. And wear gloves if you''re doing dishes or anything else hard on the nails. I can make a mani last a week with a couple of minor touch-ups.
36.gif

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebud I love that colour on you, it''s so coppery and pretty! Really goes well with your skin tone!

Miranda, very pretty manicure, the french looks lovely, not too white. I am put off when the white in a manicure looks like paint. It shouldn''t, it should look like a natural white nail, which you have achieved perfectly!

Giada, would you mind posting the french manicure tips here as well, or a link to the other thread with the tips?

To whomever recommended 8ty8 beauty supply, (I think it was Christa??), thank you, thank you! They are fabulous and fantastic prices and service too! How can you beat $3.10 from them vs. $8.00 from the local store, on the very same item??? Even with shipping, ordering a few more polishes and the shipping charge on each item is low enough to make a huge difference!

I bought the Seche "Secrets to a French Manicure" and tried it the other day. First off, I suck at painting the white tip. I used their guides as well, but they left a sticky residue on the nail and removing that with acetone would have removed the white tip as well. I thought it wouldn''t be noticable when fully painted, but it was. : ( On the upside, the Seche Rose is a lovely, lovely pink, very understated and natural looking! Hoping the tips will help me with it.

Yesterday my next 8ty8 order arrived. The Espresso is a very dark brown, but quite lovely, I also purchased more of Essie''s Vanity Fairest (which is not quite the same pink as my original bottle. I hope the outcome is the same!) and then Orly''s Diamond Love which looks very silver in the bottle, but is a stunning over coat for flat pinks. It really doesn''t add any colour, just gives any pink a bit of shimmer. Glad to have found it.

Sorry, long, rambling post!

I wish you well,

Bridget

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ever purchased from head2toebeauty.com? They seem to have great prices and selection as well -

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bridget,

Here's the subtle French manicure I posted earlier:

For those girls looking for a subtle French manicure, the following was gleaned from an article in Town & Country:

Apply one coat of Essie "Allure" all over nail. Paint tips with Essie "Waltz", then top all with one coat of Essie "Fed Up".

Mara, I thought the red dress & Wicked would work well, too, and I might try it closer to the holidays. I actually found a plain black A-line strapless that I plan to wear instead of the red dress. I have some ponyhair leopard-print pumps I've been dying to wear, so I'm going to do those with the black dress and I'll definitely be sporting the Wicked!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Bridget, it was actually Oleander who originally recommended 8ty8. So thanks from me, too, Oleander! I love them, and with the low shipping costs it''s a great excuse to "fill up" an order and get a whole bunch of polishes for the same s&h price.
11.gif

Ecf, I''m pretty sure Mara just got an order from H2T. Oleander recommended them, too.

By the way, I''m all in love with Wicked now, too . . . I''ve got to stay away from this thread before I find any more colors I just have to have (I''m completely ignoring Giada''s French mani instructions, since I don''t own any of those colors). Has anyone else found it hard to go back to a French or other light polish after wearing the deep shades for a while? I did a French a couple of weeks ago but took it off within three days and switched to something more exciting.
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES Christa!! I am obsessed with my nail polish now!! I was thinking in the car on the way home the other day, wow my nails were so boring before and now they are SNAZZY. The dark polish just highlights the hands and stuff. I was noticing my hands the other day while in the JCrew dressing room trying on clothes. I was pushing my hand into my pocket to smooth it out since it was bunching up since I had just put the pants on...and I was like wow look at my cool polish and it made my ring look bigger, ahhaha. Always a perk. It almost draws more attention to my hand which is always kinda fun, being the bling whore I am. So yes, love the dark dramatic colors. I''m only on the 2nd one from the 5 I bought so I have a while before I will need any more new colors, hahaha.

Oh and I ordered from H2T and it was pretty good...it seems like 8ty8 and H2T are basically the same when you even it out (as long as you buy like 4-5 things) and shipping is similar too. Maybe next time I will try 8ty8.

Total PS enabling...I wonder if they saw a sale spike in the last 3 weeks from PS users. HAHA.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results