shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy shaped diaamonds vary geographically

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting article, Garry. I wonder how much of this information is Blue Nile specific. Perhaps the way BN operates influences the results.

For example, if HPD wrote the article, it would indicate that rounds are 100% of the sales it makes around the world...

Wink

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting article, Garry. I wonder how much of this information is Blue Nile specific. Perhaps the way BN operates influences the results.

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

In a former job we had clients who would put out seasonal press releases on customer favorite flavors etc ....it's just a way of getting sone fun positive press and that looks like what Blue Nile is doing here.

For example, if HPD wrote the article, it would indicate that rounds are 100% of the sales it makes around the world...

Wink

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Some of the numbers don't surprise me. Decades ago when I became engaged - in Texas - Emerald cuts were the most popular. The increased popularity of ovals nationwide isn't a surprise either. Per carat - they are cheaper and offer coverage. Though we here know how difficult it is to find a top performing stone... and the price per carat reflects that. However, we here are but a small slice of the diamond buying market.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Wink I'd ask them to drop the shape categories off the page during the slowest days of the year - with proper warning...

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Wink

True. However, Blue Nile sells all the popular shapes, so their data is based on their experience in the overall market. It's obviously vendor specific since it only takes their data into account. At the same time, their volume is substantial enough that it's probably a fair representation.

At the same time, we all know that nothing beats a round hearts and arrows cut diamond.

Where's the emoji for a BIG tongue sticking out? Sigh. That last line might only be appreciated by Wink because we used to primarily sell round H&A's only also :twisted2:

ponyrider

Rough_Rock
Wasn't there a period in the 80's when marquise stones were all the rage?

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Every fancy shape diamond has had its day so-to-speak, some longer than others... Historically speaking, they fade in and out of popularity.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Kind of interesting.

The round stat doesn't surprise me. I know I'm in the minority, but I would not select a modern round brilliant, if I was given a choice of picking any stone as a hypothetical. But, it's the most typical shape I see on a daily basis, probably followed by princess cuts. I'm in Florida.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every fancy shape diamond has had its day so-to-speak, some longer than others... Historically speaking, they fade in and out of popularity.
@Todd Gray

Yeah I was a fancy shape gal until I caught the CBI bug after meeting Paul and John at a Meet the Cutter event in CA.

1979 - my very first diamond .75 E-I1 (yes I1) a marquise (now in a pendant)
Then a 1.50 F-VS1 fat marquise with Strong Blue Flourescence (now in an 80s RHR with 24 princess cuts)
Then a 2.05 D-VS2 Oval that was extra deep (hated it when a jeweler thought it was a 1.75, lol).
Traded the Oval in for a 3.01 F-SI1 pear that I wear on cruises because the ladies just care about size, lol
I do have a FY cushion from Tiffany that hubby wanted to buy me on vacation in Carmel CA.

2004 - joined PS, met Wink and my life changed ... and 5 CBIs later (well I just traded in the 2.21 F-SI1 Cut to Order, for a 2.18 E-VS1 on my 3-stone ring. Perhaps it would have been different if BG would have called me back with an estimate from WF about a tennis bracelet I wanted. We talked on the phone, but he never called back with an estimate ... so Wink got the job. :lol-2:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wasn't there a period in the 80's when marquise stones were all the rage?
I finally saw in person 2 of Serg's new amazing marquise on the weekend and I can tell you the marq's will be making a comeback.

ponyrider

Rough_Rock
I dont think that would be a bad thing :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
go to www.CutWise.com and scroll a little and you will see a marquise and a cushion cut side by side. Serg might come and compare it to an excellent classic marquise. I saw these 2 side by side on Sunday. I also saw the cushion in many different lightings and it is also a winner.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an oval ER (1988) and everyone was getting rounds and radiants at the time. Until recently have I seen ovals gain in popularity.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting for those who don't want to click but worth doing so b/c you can move the image around to see the scintillation.

I wonder about the more unique or out of patent cuts, I'd guess they aren't used more b/c they're harder to sell. How many people would buy a jubilee over a RB or a scissor cut (ashoka, crisscut etc) over an emerald? But if enough buyers go there, so will the vendors, like with modern OECs. Back to that other thread, if the tiffany true strikes a chord i think more mixed cuts will start popping up.

Screenshot_20190523-091740_Chrome.jpg

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
go to www.CutWise.com and scroll a little and you will see a marquise and a cushion cut side by side. Serg might come and compare it to an excellent classic marquise. I saw these 2 side by side on Sunday. I also saw the cushion in many different lightings and it is also a winner.
https://cutwise.com/~XeN7
To see the video you push red button ( Play)
Screenshot 2019-05-23 17.58.47.png

better view for comparison
https://cutwise.com/compare/diamond-colorless?id[]=37629&id[]=37566&m=false
Screenshot 2019-05-23 18.02.58.png

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This would be considered sample selection bias and not good data.
I travel a great deal for work and I would say I see more trends with age groups, SES etc.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would be considered sample selection bias and not good data.
I travel a great deal for work and I would say I see more trends with age groups, SES etc.

My post earlier was swallowed by the quote but agree this is not real research. Companies do this all the time to create fluffly media coverage.

axelrich

Rough_Rock
It's the customer taste that actually matters in the end.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results