shape
carat
color
clarity

fancy colored diamond necklace project

20210326_105046.jpg

I'm thinking about finishing off the back in white diamonds and calling it done. Thoughts?

You could also intersperse the coloured diamonds with small white diamonds instead, so it looks more balanced, even if you concentrate the white stones towards the back more than the front! I would also add a larger white drop to the front, I think it would finish it beautifully. This is going to look incredible once set.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think it is a great idea to finish the back in white stones since they will not be very visible and the FCDs are not so saturated that the whites would distract from the look. I would personally keep the FCDs in the front and put all whites in the back though. You do want the FCDs to be visible. We want to see you have this completed!!! I know. I am very patient and not an enabler at all gggg:)))

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I'm here with a new purchase, which is my first from Ishay Ben-David (https://fancycolordiamond.net/). Honestly the fact that almost everything on their website said call for price made me think there was nothing I could afford on their site. I decided to reach out to inquire on a pair of pinks on their site and a couple says after leaving a voicemail, Ruthy called me. The item I was inquiring about originally was sold, but after inquiring about my budget (5k) sent me a few items to review. I ended up settling on this uncertified .43 light pink diamond. Ruthy was super patient and didn't recommend the most expensive item. It came in this cute little diamond purse. I plan to send it to GIA to see what grade they give it, but it has a nice blush color in person. 20210903_134509.jpg 20210903_134554.jpg

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
My newest acquisition is at GIA now, but out of curiosity I sent my pair of tiny "blue" round diamonds to GIA. They are in the very first picture of this thread.

They were sold to me as fancy greenish blue and fancy light greenish blue

Actual GIA answer is natural fancy light greenish blue and natural very light green. I honestly couldn't tell them apart before, but now that I know I can see it.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I got the results back on the .43 round pink diamond. Good news: fancy light purplish pink. Bad news: I2.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, I think I prefer this layout, because I can see all the stones at once more easily. It also seems fancier to me, although the lariat version may be more versatile?

I have the exact same thought! I love this layout but it’s pretty formal. At the same time who cares!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the new layout! For one, you can see all the stones at one go. For another, I find it a more versatile shape of necklace compared to a lariat. It will be dressy, but a fancy colour diamond necklace was always going to be dressy. I love this layout and can’t wait to see this necklace completed!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Love the new layout!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it! I like the more focused color distributed over fewer square inches and I think it affords better color-contrast among the stones. I love the red in the center. The whole layout looks very "balanced" -- symmetric design with asymmetric color. It's interesting without being self-consciously "interesting." Reminds me of an Oscar Heyman.

Another decade and a hundred more and you should be almost good to go :lol-2:.

Another option is that once you have enough coloured stones to get you till your collarbone, you can fill in the back with a single or double line of small white stones. The back would rarely be visible.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure the only place I'll be wearing it is to play princess with my preschooler.

Well make sure she knows the backstory behind each one :lol-2:.

My late Mom had a pretty opal ring that she wore for special occasions. White and pinfire -- not a PS standard-bearer by any means. But it was my only exposure to opal as a little kid and it was mesmerizing. I loved to look at the play of colors. Hadn't thought much about it for close to half a century. It was the thing she earmarked for me after she passed a few years back :cry2:.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I decided to add up everything I've spent on this project so far and I kind of wish I didn't. Since I always wonder how much all of your lovely things cost, I thought I would share:
67 natural fancy colored diamonds
9.95 total carat weight
$41,587.48 total cost

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to add up everything I've spent on this project so far and I kind of wish I didn't. Since I always wonder how much all of your lovely things cost, I thought I would share:
9.95 total carat weight
$41,587.48 total cost

It’s gonna be gorgeous!! Can’t wait to see once it’s set!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.95 total carat weight
$41,587.48 total cost

you sure wouldn't be able to buy a necklace like that for 40k. +1 on can't wait to see it set!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this thread??? Add me to list of those who can't wait to see the completed necklace. It's going to be gorgeous.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still waiting for her academy award gown to go with the finished necklace!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s gonna be gorgeous!! Can’t wait to see once it’s set!

Yes it’s a lot but doesn’t sound crazy since we are talking many fcds and I bet you couldn’t but that same collection today for that price!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who are you considering to do the setting? I am assuming platinum not to compete with the colors. Going to be really expensive to set. I can’t wait! it is going to be stunning.

One suggestion about setting - since you will be getting a jeweler to make the setting custom, I am sure, I would ask them to match the metal colour of every individual basket to the colour that would best complement the stone (eg yellow diamonds in yellow gold, pink diamonds in rose gold) etc. I know it sounds messy, but it looks good in person - my mom has a necklace with some yellow and white diamonds in it, not evenly spaced, and all the yellow diamonds are in YG and white in WG. It helps all the colours pop even more.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Who are you considering to do the setting? I am assuming platinum not to compete with the colors. Going to be really expensive to set. I can’t wait! it is going to be stunning.

I plan on having a local jeweler set it. Most of the vendors who sell fcds won't set stones not exclusively sourced from them.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
One suggestion about setting - since you will be getting a jeweler to make the setting custom, I am sure, I would ask them to match the metal colour of every individual basket to the colour that would best complement the stone (eg yellow diamonds in yellow gold, pink diamonds in rose gold) etc. I know it sounds messy, but it looks good in person - my mom has a necklace with some yellow and white diamonds in it, not evenly spaced, and all the yellow diamonds are in YG and white in WG. It helps all the colours pop even more.

Agreed. The extra skill and time involved in mixed metal setting really adds up. I expect to pay about $100 a stone in addition to the metal cost.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the matching metal baskets or setting for each individual stone but what a task to undertake. That alone is going to be a huge expense! How many stones? But you will need a metal such as platinum or white gold to pull it all together.

I love the matching metal baskets or setting for each individual stone but what a task to undertake. That alone is going to be a huge expense! How many stones? But you will need a metal such as platinum or white gold to pull it all together.

Would it actually be that much more expensive if the piece was being made custom anyway? I guess I don’t really follow why - beyond the costs for the different metal alloys - because it’s the same amount of effort to make one WG one YG and one RG basket as opposed to 3 WG baskets, right? If the stones are anyway of different dimensions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results