shape
carat
color
clarity

fancy colored diamond necklace project

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Since I started collecting fancy colored diamonds in 2006, I'd always hoped to use my collection for a necklace to wear when I got married. My boyfriend still hasn't popped the question, but I figure I should start thinking about design. I'm debating whether to just go with a pendant (shield down) or if I want to keep collecting and try and get a full necklace out of it. The necklace is inspired by the Tiffany swing drop necklace. As shown here the necklace is just shy of 2 carats. Design suggestions are welcome :)

fcd_necklace_project1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big are the stones? I like your design. Do you want to add any pearls or melee in there?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a fun project and it is never too early to plan a design. :bigsmile: So, necklace or a long drop pendant? I think a full necklace would be divine!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a gorgeous collection there, SGE! I love your idea and of the two, prefer the first pendant design. My reasoning is that the diamonds are much too pretty to limit to one long drop, when you can instead shorten the drop a bit and incorporate more along each side of the drop; it feels like more this way. I also love your idea of the full necklace, but either way, you cannot go wrong with such beauties. I guess it would really depend on the design of the non-diamond part of the necklace if you chose not to incorporate diamonds all around. I will really look forward to seeing this one completed!

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
They are small. The blues are the smallest at 0.05 ct and the pink is the largest at 0.40 ct. I have thought about including some colorless diamonds to show off the color either by alternating colorless and colored or by adding halos.

I have 2 concerns with going with a full necklace 1) It may not be attainable with my budget 2) I don't want to end up with something I can't wear day to day.

Maybe I could go somewhere in between with a diamonds by the yard sort of style along the chain and the central diamond drop.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susiegrneyes|1387556690|3578124 said:
Maybe I could go somewhere in between with a diamonds by the yard sort of style along the chain and the central diamond drop.

Ditto this idea; affordable and wearable on a daily basis.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the design you have. I don't know about others, but I feel that diamonds get kind of lost in those "diamond by the yard" type necklaces. They're very small diamonds, so the look you have in mind should also be casual as well. Also, since they're closer set in your design, they will play off of each color better I think. I would also use various colored gold baskets (yellow for yellow diamonds, rose for pink diamonds, etc. . .), and do the chain in white metal.

I think someone like Daniel M could do this.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I really enjoy flexibility in my jewelry, so if it were me I would want to make a removable pendant and a necklace.

img_1336.jpg

So if you see where I used the pink colored pencil, that is made into a necklace. Perhaps adding a few white diamonds higher up for a diamonds by the yard effect like others have mentioned. Then take the drop and have it made with a removable pendant bail.
That way you could wear the pendant on a plain chain for day and add it to the enhanced chain for special events. You'd also have the option of putting a pearl or plain diamond pendant on your fancy chain for a different, more casual look.

I think you'd get a lot of wear out of both pieces that way. Neither would be "too much" on their own but would be something really special and elegant when worn together.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking convertible as I read down the thread so I'm definitely a +1 for KoolChicken's idea above. Much more versatile.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the great ideas. I especially like the idea of getting more than one look out of it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if you do the convertible thing, the lock on the pendant must be extremely secure, or maybe make a loop on it large enough to go over the chain.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Dear OP, how did this turn out?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mico: thanks for resurrecting this thread! I had completely forgotten about it.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
:) it was on my tapatalk feed

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its just getting better! Out of curiosity, did you buy the diamonds above the split as pairs, or do you have amazing talent at finding matching stones?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Stunning!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply fantastic; it looks ready to be made into a necklace already!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is going to be such a stunning piece when and if you make it - and maybe by that time, you'll have enough stones to go all the way around. I can just imagine the sparkle and scintillation those stones will give off...

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1399178871|3665880 said:
Its just getting better! Out of curiosity, did you buy the diamonds above the split as pairs, or do you have amazing talent at finding matching stones?

a little of both. The baguettes were a pair and the pinks were a pair. All the others were purchased as singles. I've just been lucky enough that the matches have turned up.

I'm still on a mad hunt for a fancy vivid orange yellow cleft-less heart for my chameleon ring project. Hopefully that will eventually turn up too.

airdancer

Rough_Rock
Wow, you have amazing luck! They match up beautifully. I really like the idea of of the removable pendant and necklace. I think it is great to have something that you can wear daily and for special occasions.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
wOw

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm just amazed that you've managed to pair so many, buying them singly. Stupendous! It's going to be just a spectacular necklace.

--- Laurie

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
As others have said, this is going to be an amazing project! Half the fun is collecting and hunting for the stones :naughty: Could I trouble you for a rundown on the specs of all the stones you have so far for your necklace - i.e. colors and carat weights? How long do you prefer/plan for your necklace to be?

Kroshka

susiegrneyes|1400422523|3675450 said:
Here's the latest incarnation. I got 6 new stones from Leibish last week.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susiegrneyes|1400422523|3675450 said:
Here's the latest incarnation. I got 6 new stones from Leibish last week.

Wow, that's going to be a long necklace. If you get any more diamonds, you're going to have to get a huge white pear to put at the bottom of it. :naughty:

032311-elizabeth-taylor-jewelry9-350x580_1_.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results