Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!

What is next on your list Kenny????

Lori

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys.
I had to look up ROY G. BIV but yes my project has been to show the graduations of colors in the rainbow with natural diamonds.
I can't quite articulate why, but this project resonates deeply with me on many levels.

Lori, I'd like to get a good pure orange, a cleaner fresh pure yellow and I wouldn't turn my nose up at a nice bubble-gum pink emerald cut.

BTW, I just found out several of them exhibit phosphorescence, which is different from fluorescence.
(Today's thread on RT got me curious.)
Fluorescence is when they glow when UV light is present.
Phosphorescence is where they continue to glow after the UV light is turned off.

Witnessing phosphorescence is kind of a hassle.
The light given off by a phosphorescing diamond, at least mine, is VERY dim and VERY fleeting.
My strongest one lasts perhaps 2 or 3 seconds as I watch it fade to dark.
The more faint ones last less than a second.

Since light given off is so dim you won't see it in a normally-lit room, just like you can't see stars during the day.
I had to sit in a dark interior closet for a minute or so to let my eyes adjusted to the dark, something you also have to do for star gazing.
I think to fully-experience a diamond's phosphorescence it takes around 45 minutes of sitting in the dark for the eyes to reach their full sensitivity.

I used this UV light:

FWIW, I'll report later on the relative strengths and the exact color I see and how/if it phosphorescence relates to the fluorescence of my collection.
BTW my asscher (GIA F VVS2 2.26 ct med blue fluor) has very substantial phosphorescence. TOO COOL!
I was hoping that my blue diamond would phosphoresce red (I've read that they do) but I don't detect that, yet.
Maybe I need to let my eyes adjust to the dark longer to detect it.

Gosh! What a dork I am!!!

I doubt phosphorescence is bright enough to capture with a camera but I'll give it a try.

aauv.png

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1307668556|2942115 said:
Okay, finally here is the latest family portrait.

The newborn green pear is on the left.
He is a 0.19 Fancy Green SI1.
The new green pear does have patches of color visible near the bottom and is rather shallow with windowing but I really like the color, and the price was great.

Surprisingly, the new 0.28 Fancy Intense Blue Emerald Cut looks larger than the 0.33 Fancy Vivid Yellow Asscher behind it.
The Fancy Deep Purplish Pink EC is 0.27 ct. but is a lot deeper than the 0.28 Blue.

Spec Update:

Ummmmm....WOW....

This seriously has to be the best FCD **** on PS.

I am having inappropriate thoughts about all of them. :Up_to_something: :devil: :naughty: :cheeky:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
:cheeky: Beautiful stones!! Amazing pictures, you have real artistic talent, love the ones with fruits, flowers! so pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
Thank you not only for creating and posting wonderful amazing photos of your collection, but contributing a great deal of knowledge on colored diamonds. Your threads are a wonderful resource on the subject.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL.
What a nice thing to say.
I try to be helpful, authentic and transparent here as I share and learn about my passion.

Thanks Sapphirecats.
Stay tuned.
Many more pics to come.

Thanks platinum rocks.
Go ahead and think naughty thoughts.
These little beauty queens love to be loved.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the extra fancy grater.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Kenny, thank you so much for posting so much info - and so many pics - on your FCD collection. I have learned a lot from this thread and it has been fascinating to watch the collection grow.

I know I don't need to say this, as you obviously are, but: Enjoy them!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1310924416|2970839 said:
Thanks guys.
I had to look up ROY G. BIV but yes my project has been to show the graduations of colors in the rainbow with natural diamonds.
I can't quite articulate why, but this project resonates deeply with me on many levels.

Lori, I'd like to get a good pure orange, a cleaner fresh pure yellow and I wouldn't turn my nose up at a nice bubble-gum pink emerald cut.

BTW, I just found out several of them exhibit phosphorescence, which is different from fluorescence.
(Today's thread on RT got me curious.)
Fluorescence is when they glow when UV light is present.
Phosphorescence is where they continue to glow after the UV light is turned off.

Witnessing phosphorescence is kind of a hassle.
The light given off by a phosphorescing diamond, at least mine, is VERY dim and VERY fleeting.
My strongest one lasts perhaps 2 or 3 seconds as I watch it fade to dark.
The more faint ones last less than a second.

Since light given off is so dim you won't see it in a normally-lit room, just like you can't see stars during the day.
I had to sit in a dark interior closet for a minute or so to let my eyes adjusted to the dark, something you also have to do for star gazing.
I think to fully-experience a diamond's phosphorescence it takes around 45 minutes of sitting in the dark for the eyes to reach their full sensitivity.

I used this UV light:

FWIW, I'll report later on the relative strengths and the exact color I see and how/if it phosphorescence relates to the fluorescence of my collection.
BTW my asscher (GIA F VVS2 2.26 ct med blue fluor) has very substantial phosphorescence. TOO COOL!
I was hoping that my blue diamond would phosphoresce red (I've read that they do) but I don't detect that, yet.
Maybe I need to let my eyes adjust to the dark longer to detect it.

Gosh! What a dork I am!!!

I doubt phosphorescence is bright enough to capture with a camera but I'll give it a try.

Just so you don't go mad just sitting in the dark Kenny. I think you can prep your eye while doing something useful with your life if you just place an dark eyepatch over your master eye, and get on with chores for about an hour or so at night. When an hour or so has passed, you can go into the dim room and just view the phosphorescence with your master eye open and the other eye shut.

Might make you more productive is all I'm saying.

Unless you have more than enough to do with your 1.5hours in complete darkness. ;-)

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
YOUR COLLECTION IS A DREAM KENNY!

Thank you for pointing the link to your fcd collection. I AM SPEECHLESS!!! :ugeek:

And what amazing photography skills to bring out the sparkle in each and every piece!

(my fav must be the violet pear) although the fancy red is....well beyond this world!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm so totally in love with your round green FCD, I could marry it! All of them are magnif, but that one is KING, imo.

So what happened to the crab cakes & champagne, did y'all scarf 'em up before I got here?

Then I will wait impatiently & grumpily for MORE PICS, KENNY!! :love: :love:

--- Laurie

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness Kenny, I can't believe I only just stumbled across this thread, but I am in love!!!! I have never felt so fortunate to live vicariously through someone's willingness to post their knowledge online, and with such STUNNING photos to boot!!

I would love to have several of your "family portraits" framed and hung next to my vanity, and the salad photo is just incredible!!! Thank you thank you thank you for sharing, and taking the time to produce such beautiful representations of your collection.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes yes yes, I was drooling over that one.
If I didn't already have my Fancy Red and a Deep Purplish Pink I'd strongly consider it.
It has fantastic color.

Fascinating unique cut too.
It is a hybrid of emerald cut and radiant.
GIA calles it, Cut-Cornered Rectangular Mixed Cut. :wacko:

What I'm keeping my eyes peeled for now is a pure orange, a fresher more pure yellow and maybe a blue with stronger color.
It will take years.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1316112988|3018328 said:
Oh yes yes yes, I was drooling over that one.
If I didn't already have my Fancy Red and a Deep Purplish Pink I'd strongly consider it.
It has fantastic color.

Fascinating unique cut too.
It is a hybrid of emerald cut and radiant.
GIA calles it, Cut-Cornered Rectangular Mixed Cut. :wacko:

What I'm keeping my eyes peel for now is a pure orange, a fresher more pure yellow and maybe a blue with stronger color.
It will take years.

Kenny - There's a fancy brown step cut radiant on there that I am seriously drooling over. I wish you'd get it so I could live vicariously. LOL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eventually I want a brown emerald cut but it has to be similar in size to it's sisters.
I just have not seen a nice brown EC around 0.25 ct.
I'm guessing since brown is the most affordable color there just isn't much incentive to offer quarter carat ones with GIA reports and good cutting.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps you could have one cut to specifications? When the time comes?

Too bad b/c I just love that stone. I hope someone gets it and loves it for life. PS'ERS GET ON IT lol!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which stone?

chowzer

Rough_Rock
Wow, are these the stone that you bought from that site you've recommended? Just wow!!!! I will keep reading your post...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chowzer|1327990635|3115402 said:
Wow, are these the stone that you bought from that site you've recommended? Just wow!!!! I will keep reading your post...

Yes, they all came from www.fancydiamonds.net .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! :halo:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness. Pass me some champagne before I faint. Beautiful beautiful! I'm madly in love with your round green yummy dot.

--- Laurie

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Kenny,

Your gems are just beautiful!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
txgreeneyes|1335220499|3178813 said:
Kenny,

Your gems are just beautiful!

True dat! :appl:

And your photography skills are amazing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. :wavey:
While some old threads can get tiresome (like those endless argument ones), when I get new pics I'd prefer to just add them here.

Think of it as a field where a new wildflower may pop up at any time.
I know! Oh Brother! :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dan.
Yes, I have that light and use it sometimes.

Sometimes I'll use one of these instead.
It is designed to be worn on your head but I just hand hold it and move it around to get the best effect.

The color temp may not match my main light sources so if I were a vendor publishing pics on the Internet I'd pay particular attention to correcting any resulting color shift in post processing.
Then again it is relatively dim compared to the main light bulbs, and is only to add a bit of sparkle and dispersion so the color temp mismatch may not be worth worrying about.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202102447/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=energizer+pro+7+led&storeId=10051

led.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results